PDA

View Full Version : Rule experiments

The_Vulk
01-14-2005, 08:24 PM
The NHL has used the AHL to test out some possible rule changes.

The two referree system (which we have have seen used occationally).

Recently, the widening of the blue line.

Should such rules/experiments be brought down to the CHL level?

And if so, which ones should the WHL/CHL adopt?

ScottyWazz
01-14-2005, 08:42 PM
I think tag-up offsides is something everyone would like to see in all levels of hockey again. It speeds up the game a little and doesn't let the defenceman take their time getting out of the zone.

I'm not sure about the "goalie zone" behind the net in the AHL. Those who aren't familiar with it, here's a picture:
http://www.theahl.com/AHL/News/2004/09/21/goalietest_250.jpg

I can see the good of teaching the goalies not to wander so much, but not many goalies go out that far anyway; so it's not like it's a huge epidemic.

Shootouts-- I don't know. I personally like them, but I know many purist out there hate it for the fact that it's a craptastic way to end a game.

Also-- take out the red line when it comes two-line pass. Open the game up a little more.

IceMan
01-14-2005, 09:05 PM
Tag-Up: An emphatic "YES"

The goalie zone .... it's not a big deal in the 'dub. NHL goalies are all over the place, playing the puck everywhere. I don't see enough of that here to make it worthwhile.

Shootouts do provide a winner, but IMO, it's artificial. I play in an Adult League, where we have shootouts. We've had games where we've just DOMINATED another team, but it's still a tie, and we lose it in a shootout. Nothing more frustrating than being on the bench praying that your goalie, who may be great during the game, can live through 5 breakaways. When you lose a game like that, it's 10x worse than losing one legitimately, IMO.

Kamfan
01-14-2005, 09:47 PM
Widening the blue line can only serve to make offside calls harder by making the puck harder to see. Looks weird too. And I don't see how it would help.

Tag-up offside: yes please!

No touch icing: yes please!

No red line: used to be against this, but like most fans I love offensive hockey and desperate times call for desperate measures. I'm willing to give it a shot.

Goalie zone: I've got a better idea and it'll save red paint. Just make goalies fair game when they have the puck. And I mean F-A-I-R G-A-M-E. If the puck's on their stick - BOOM! Then see how often they come out to play the puck. I'm not saying the second they step out of the crease you get to drill 'em, without the puck that's goalie interference like it always was. If he's covering the puck that's roughing or slashing or whatever. I'm just tired of seeing a goalie handle the puck behind the net with a forechecker bearing down on him, only to have the goalie turn his back to the oncoming player putting his big, padded ass between the skater and the puck, leaving the forechecker no choice but to peel away. Bottom line: goalies fair game = less frequent puck-handing by goalies = more frequent puck retrieval on dump-ins = more scoring chances (or so goes the theory).

Shootouts: Ties suck. I wouldn't mind them being used in the regular season. Even if it only had a small effect, it might motivate coaches/GM's to retain more small skilled players than huge plugs (which of course would be benefit the overall game as well).

Spungy
01-15-2005, 12:49 AM
tag up offiside sounds good

get rid of the red line

no touch icing

these all sound good to me!

natural_center
01-15-2005, 02:42 AM
Shootouts - I guess I'm a purist and don't want to see game decided in such an 'artificial' way. To me it's like ending a baseball game with a home run derby--reducing the contest to a single element of itself, as if the whole game weren't worth playing to begin with. Ties don't bother me.

Goalie zone - I HATE this idea, mainly because it punishes only a few goalies (*cough* Brodeur *cough*) who are much more skilled at puckhandling than 95% of their colleagues. Most goalies don't come out to play the puck enough to have the rule change affect their game. But for 3 or 4 NHL teams whose goalies have that extra little something in their game, they are prevented from using all their talents. And as for just making the goalies fair game? Well, that would be fine IF they were geared for it. Goalie helmets don't protect the back of the head like a skater helmet does. Goalie's skates aren't designed for agility, to avoid a check. Goalie pads are bulky and again, make it hard for a goalie to avoid a check. It's not fair or safe to ask them to act like a skater when they physicially can't.

Thicker red/blue lines - I have no opinion.

No red line - At first it sounds like a great idea to open up long passes for exciting plays, and we see it work great on TV in international play. But I've heard bad things about the European leagues where the no-red-line rule has been in effect for a while. The defensemen are forced to play a very conservative, stay-at-home style to guard against the long breakout passes, and so they can't contribute to the offensive game as much. No one wants to be a defenseman anymore. I think that the elite offensive defensemen are one of the best parts of the game. I'd rather watch the Phaneufs and Niedermayers getting in on the scoring action than sitting back in their own zone. There are other guys who can do that.

Personally, I say: Make the nets bigger (look at the average height of a hockey player now compared to 20 years ago), and make goalie equipment smaller. It can still be just as thick and protective, but a goalie's shin is not 38" x 12". Compare Roberto Luongo's HUGE pads to Marty Brodeur's relatively small pads. Clearly, Brodeur is amply protected, as he still has the use of his legs.

Fight Guy
01-15-2005, 02:54 PM
I have been wanting tag-up offside back for some time. I hate how it is now. With tag-up, it makes it more difficult for the team to get the puck out, and would make offsides more exciting. It sucks when they just stand around waiting for the puck to come out.

Icing is fine.

The goalie lines, I wouldnt mind that. Though it is not as often that the goalies in the Dub go far out of the goal area, but some do, and if it were implimented into the NHL, it should be in the CHL as well, so that players get used to it. Plus I never liked how goalies go to the corner boards and egt hit, then their is a penalty on the player who hit him. I think When goalies leave the crease, they are fair game.

I wouldnt mind seeing the red line taken out. I enjoy it in international play, so I dont think I would mind seeing it in the CHL.

And as for shoot-outs...I'm not the biggest fan of them. Sure they are exciting and fun to watch, but like was mentioned before...they can be unfair. I like to watch OT. I dont mind ties, so I think shootouts should stay away(but it's pretty much a garantee that they will be implimented into the NHL adventually...and not too long from now. I think maybe there could be more penalty shots. Those are exciting. Refs hardly ever call them, but they can on many occasions. I'd like to see more of those.

The_Vulk
01-15-2005, 04:23 PM
I dislike OT, as it now stands.

An OT win is worth as much as a regulation win?

Please!

Win = 4 points
OT win = 3 points
Tie = 2 points
OT lose = 1 point
lose = 0 points

This makes all points accountable. One game has a total of 4 points to be awarded. Not like it is now where some games award 2, while others 3 (for a OT win).

Make every point a must for every team.

Fight Guy
01-15-2005, 04:29 PM
Hmmm...that's an interesting way to look at it. That doesn't seem like too bad of an idea. It could definelty work too.

Jovorock
01-16-2005, 08:46 AM
I like getting rid of the redline, in the World Junior tournament it really opened up the game and was very fast.

Tag up offside should not be in the NHL or CHL, I think it takes away from the defensemen's being creative or being lazy.

No touch icing works great in the CHL and should be in the NHL.

If the NHL adapts the goaltenders not to handle the puck it would be a big mistake and would hurt the game.

Mileflames
01-16-2005, 12:59 PM
What To do -
-Take out the Blue lines and Blue line face off dots
-Keep the red line

New Rules -
-Must carry the Puck across the red line, can not pass the puck across.
But there is no Offsides.
-No Offside because of the red line rule.

Penitently Kill -
-It is your team mates fault for going to the box, the only thing you can do is ice the puck. (No more clearing the zone over and over and
over again)

Why -
Open up the game, more break always, and more scoring opportunities,
fewer stoppages in play. The Game would go faster. more skill needed.

Fight Guy
01-16-2005, 01:23 PM
But then you've changed the game. I personally, dont like that.

RunTheGoalie
01-19-2005, 07:46 PM
I dislike OT, as it now stands.

An OT win is worth as much as a regulation win?

Please!

Win = 4 points
OT win = 3 points
Tie = 2 points
OT lose = 1 point
lose = 0 points

This makes all points accountable. One game has a total of 4 points to be awarded. Not like it is now where some games award 2, while others 3 (for a OT win).

Make every point a must for every team.

To me, a win is a win is a win, and a loss is a loss is a loss.

The 2-0-1 point system worked perfectly fine for decades. We dont need five seperate categories for points. Wins, losses, ties. Works fine.

On other rules...

Tag up icing: definitely required. I would love it if the CHL finally took some initiative and reverted back, regardless of what the NHL does.

goalie zones: there arent enough good stickhandling goalies in the Dub to make it worthwhile.

shootout: dear god NO. Team sports should not be determined by home-run derby.

Kamfan
01-19-2005, 09:14 PM
To me, a win is a win is a win, and a loss is a loss is a loss.

The 2-0-1 point system worked perfectly fine for decades. We dont need five seperate categories for points. Wins, losses, ties. Works fine.

On other rules...

Tag up icing: definitely required. I would love it if the CHL finally took some initiative and reverted back, regardless of what the NHL does.

goalie zones: there arent enough good stickhandling goalies in the Dub to make it worthwhile.

shootout: dear god NO. Team sports should not be determined by home-run derby.

Can we assume, by your name, what your position is on making the goalies fair game? :D

ihlemic10
01-19-2005, 09:21 PM
2 Refs: We need them. If anyone else has been to a Silvertips game at the EEC, you know why. We need 2 atleast in the playoffs. There were several missed calls which were scores.

Goalie fair game: Sure. As long as he is behind the net. Why should he be worried though? He has the most pads on.

Other rules: I really don't care.

RunTheGoalie
01-20-2005, 06:35 PM
Can we assume, by your name, what your position is on making the goalies fair game? :D

Actually, yes. :D

Though the name is from a joke a friend of mine in Tampa and I had during the playoffs, when the Flames and Canucks spent their entire series running the goalie.

Fight Guy
01-20-2005, 07:03 PM
Thats one thing I want to see...goalies being fair game. It always pisses me off when the goalie is in the corner playing the puck, and if you hit him, it's goaltender interference or roughing. That's stupid.

Number_4
01-20-2005, 07:18 PM
As a goalie, im not sure if goalies should be fair game unless some changes are made to the equipment. As someone else already mentioned, goaltender equipment is made for stopping the puck, not for safety during all out charges. Implementing the goalie fair game rule right now would only cause more injuries. And really, with the rest of the team, you have options in replacing an injured player. Goaltenders, well there is only two on the bench, and if one gets hurt, and then the second one does (because it does and will happen more) what happens then? Another thought to keep in mind, is when teams deliberatly try to hurt a player. I mean, why try to take out the 50-goal scorer when u can take out the only thing stopping you from scoreing?

I suppose if you are going out of the net, you are asking for it, but at the same time, safety should be foremost in everyones minds.

grumphy
01-20-2005, 07:45 PM
Spent a lot of years in the net and did a fair amount of roaming bu in those days you knew before you left the crease you had better beat your man or you were non cerimoniously spread all over the ice.

Goalies should be allowed to wander but they should be free game

speedkills
01-21-2005, 03:45 PM
Tag up offsides....MOST DEFINITELY

Automatic icing...Personally, I understand the argument, but also HATE watching d-men 'cheat it' like most are doing today. IF we keep it the linesmen need to do a better job at waving it off if a d-man 'cheats it' too much!

Redline...Get rid of it (to at least see how this works here in North America), the argument about the european league may not be completely valid (not sure though) but their Ice is much bigger also which would tend to contribute to d-men having to play it more conservatively. I think we should at least look at this for a season or two.

Goalies...I'm for making them fair game (ONLY when the puck is on their stick outside of the crease, ie...no finishing checks if avoidable), if you're a goalie and you don't want to get hurt, change your pads, don't wander, etc. This will not stop the Brodeurs of the world if they know they can beat everyone else to the puck.

just my two cents worth