PDA

View Full Version : Watt gets 1 game

Beaner
12-29-2006, 06:30 PM
from, www.whl.ca

2/29/06 J.D. Watt Vancouver One game for Elbow Major and G.M. vs Kamloops on December 28.

I think it is time for the team to re-evaluate their alternate captains.

dondo
12-29-2006, 07:04 PM
yeah, I thought he might get one

and yes due to his floaty ways (spent most of last night before he was ousted patrolling the far blue-line), JD should lose the "A"

Give to Czibere -- he may not have the skills some of the other guys do but he has the commitment, the drive and the effort.

I had some friends from Australia who had never really seen a game before come to the Everett game on the 15th, and they made mention of that Czibere guy standing out.

Beaner
12-29-2006, 07:15 PM
I dont think that he deserved a suspension for that "elbow".

But he never should have even put himself into that position to give the ref a chance to call something like that.

Not a leader type move.

dondo
12-29-2006, 07:22 PM
it was a high forearm hit and JD was aiming for the head, the problem is that the guy turned away from the hit instead of meeting it and that's what made it a boarding/elbow major as opposed to a high hit roughing or whatever.

definitely not a leader move and his lack-luster play when he should be champing at the bit to elevate his game with McArdle and Repik away from the rink.

Knuckles Muldoon
12-29-2006, 07:56 PM
Dumb hit by a player that played a dumb game. It was almost a predatorial hit, as he slowed, waited for the guy to meet the puck at the boards, then launched himself at the guy's head. Stupid and worthy of a game suspension at least.

Beaner
12-30-2006, 02:29 PM
For those of you who missed the paper today, here is a quote from JD about the suspension, and being short players;

"We need a lot of guys to step up," said Watt, 19. "We don't have a lot of depth right now so for the young guys its an opportunity to show what they can do."

Hey JD, bit of the pot calling the kettle black don't you think? Why don't you step up and lead this team, and show the young guys what it means to work hard and play smart, instead of being a selfish, lazy, little punk.

Maybe you should have thought about that lack of depth before you put yourself in the position of possibly taking a penalty let alone a suspension.

GF71
12-30-2006, 02:37 PM
What an A$$. NOT a team guy. He needs the A stripped and to be knocked down a peg or two. Some leader applause :burningma

Beaner
12-30-2006, 02:43 PM
What an A$$. NOT a team guy. He needs the A stripped and to be knocked down a peg or two. Some leader applause :burningma

Really needs to be traded out of here.

Maybe JD and Slade can go play in Europe somewhere together.

dondo
12-30-2006, 03:00 PM
lol

ah Watt -- you really need to look in the mirror brother -- and the "A" going away is the least of the changes which need to happen with you.

Well maybe we can get something decent for Watt -- we have enough power-froward types, maybe a sniper or a goalie like Price

Kassian
12-30-2006, 03:35 PM
I never thought I'd say this, but I have a strong feeling Watt will be traded before the deadline.

Beaner
12-30-2006, 03:37 PM
ah Watt -- you really need to look in the mirror brother -- and the "A" going away is the least of the changes which need to happen with you.

Now that I think about it stripping JD of the A will more than likely only cause him to sulk more and play worse.

Sput
12-30-2006, 03:58 PM
Hey...maybe we can make a deal? Dudas and pick any other underacheiving player from PG for Slade and Watt?

PGFlyfisher
12-30-2006, 03:59 PM
On the bright side, at least you folks only have ONE player to gripe about! ;)
I think I' ve run out of fingers to count with up here in PG!

Beaner
12-30-2006, 04:04 PM
Hey...maybe we can make a deal? Dudas and pick any other underacheiving player from PG for Slade and Watt?

Done and you can keep the underachiever. Dudas and a 3rd round pick will be fine.

JD and Slade are at the bus station now.

Kassian
12-30-2006, 04:13 PM
I'll pass on Dudas. He'll probably end up injured on the ride down to Vancouver. :spineyes:

Knuckles Muldoon
12-30-2006, 05:00 PM
Done and you can keep the underachiever. Dudas and a 3rd round pick will be fine.

JD and Slade are at the bus station now.
:laugh:
I don't mean to throw #11 under the bus. But we just need him to think of the team first and himself second. Although I'm starting to wonder if its possible. :skeptical

PGFlyfisher
12-30-2006, 05:07 PM
I'll pass on Dudas. He'll probably end up injured on the ride down to Vancouver. :spineyes:

LOL. Ain' t that the truth.
And as for bringing Slade up here, it might be like putting out a fire with gasoline! ;)

Beaner
12-30-2006, 05:35 PM
And as for bringing Slade up here, it might be like putting out a fire with gasoline! ;)

ahh but what a nice fire it would be.

I'll throw in a case of marshmellows for the fans if that will help.

Sput
12-30-2006, 06:39 PM
ahh but what a nice fire it would be.

I'll throw in a case of marshmellows for the fans if that will help.

Maybe it would be like a huge festering sore. It would come to a head, pop all over the place, then the healing process can begin.

Could be worth the price of admission for a change.

Jimmy
12-30-2006, 10:47 PM
Disagree with you guys in this thread.

I didn't see the elbow, but I doubt it would be enough to change my opinion of Watt, but I have seen this guy get better for a few years now and this year has capped it off. The Giants COMPLETELY lack the size that they have in previous years and it is guys like JD and Hunt that keep them above water and getting cheapshotted.

This team doesn't have a leader, if I had to pick one, it wouldn't be JD. But he is very valuable to this team. Good to pick up his game when he needs it, good to put the puck into the net, and good to be back the next game doing the same thing.

Swando
12-31-2006, 12:56 AM
I talked to JD at the game tonight and he is really upset with the game suspension. He said the play was reviewed and it was not an elbow at all but the side of his hand as the Kamloops player turned away. Still I saw it happen and it was 2 things.

1. Watt was the much taller of the players and the hit was at the head height rather than shoulder with someone his own size.

2. The Blazer was the aggressive one and Watt took the easy way out by waiting and then hitting. In my opinion he should have been the one to be first on the puck and take the hit to make the play.

When you see JD face to face and see how young he really is (I have 2 boys older than him) it changes your mind about bonehead plays and I KNOW that JD feels bad and will make it up to his Giants teamamtes and fans!!

GF71
12-31-2006, 01:03 AM
LOL SOunds like you enjoyed the kool aid! haha

Swando
12-31-2006, 01:11 AM
LOL SOunds like you enjoyed the kool aid! haha

That comment does seem to be worth replying to.

Beaner
12-31-2006, 01:12 AM
When you see JD face to face and see how young he really is (I have 2 boys older than him) it changes your mind about bonehead plays and I KNOW that JD feels bad and will make it up to his Giants teamamtes and fans!!

Sorry Swando seen it and heard this all before with JD. Don't believe it anymore.

rinkrat
12-31-2006, 01:20 AM
The horse is dead,time to stop beating it.He made a mistake,its not like he Bertuzzi'd a guy.Watt raises his game when it counts and we need him.He was awesome at the WHL vs Russia game,as well as last years Memorial Cup.
If you want to start pointing fingers don't leave out #13.
And remember Brule took a boatload of dumb penalties and eventually came around.I'm not saying JD is Brule but he will learn,or Don will deal with him.I have faith in Don.

Swando
12-31-2006, 03:29 AM
The horse is dead,time to stop beating it.He made a mistake,its not like he Bertuzzi'd a guy.Watt raises his game when it counts and we need him.He was awesome at the WHL vs Russia game,as well as last years Memorial Cup.
If you want to start pointing fingers don't leave out #13.
And remember Brule took a boatload of dumb penalties and eventually came around.I'm not saying JD is Brule but he will learn,or Don will deal with him.I have faith in Don.

Couldn't have said it better !! Good comment

Kassian
12-31-2006, 03:34 AM
The Giants COMPLETELY lack the size that they have in previous years and it is guys like JD and Hunt that keep them above water and getting cheapshotted.

Maybe a few years ago but certainly not right now. Watt doesn't even play physical anymore. If it weren't for both Lucic and Hunt the team would be in big trouble when push came to shove.

Jimmy
12-31-2006, 08:14 AM
Maybe a few years ago but certainly not right now. Watt doesn't even play physical anymore. If it weren't for both Lucic and Hunt the team would be in big trouble when push came to shove.

They ARE in trouble in that sense. Hunt plays bigger than he is, and Lucic, for most of this season, seems to have lost a step since last year (with or without the puck). Watt has always been a crash and banger, but I think this year, he is more confident with the puck on his stick so he isn't just running around looking for someone to hit. And his stats so far show it.

Personally, I would rather have this Watt and just another Flatters like he has been in years previous.

Jimmy
12-31-2006, 08:17 AM
Frankly, all this Watt hate has really caught me by surprise... Boogaard'd
He is solid, he has stuck it out with this team and he has been the personification of this lunch-bucket Giants team.

dondo
12-31-2006, 12:37 PM
actually Jimmy -- his effort has been suspect lately and after such a solid beginning, he stopped driving when the goals dried up. Now you'll see him be the first one out of his zone and floating about the other guys blue-line, not finishing checks and give half-hearted stabs at the puck.

He was major plus but in the last stretch he's been a -4

the thing is that this is nothing new with JD he's always been one of those players who disappears every once in a while, and shows up with only partial effort.

If he truly is the kind of player that he told swando he was -- then the first thing on every Bruins fan's lip will be Watt, Watt, Watt. I sincerely hope it is, because there's too much up-side there for him to waste it.

Jimmy
12-31-2006, 12:47 PM
I'll admit that I have missed the latest 4-5 games due to work and had to have Bill and Joey give me the scoops. Perhaps he just misses Reese and is trying to fill the void by playing like the former Giant :o

dondo
12-31-2006, 01:05 PM
you know Jimmy I was thinking that as well, but JD actually started to slump (points-wise) before Reese was dealt, but hasn't really recovered from the loss -- as those two definitely had some chemistry.

I expect if JD is the player he says he is that he will be a major factor today and be noticeable at all ends of the arena (that doesn't necessarily mean goals or assists) but noticeable every single shift. If he's not then he really isn't as chagrined as he should be, and not as sorry as he's making himself out to be.

he owes his team all out effort today and I really hope he brings it in a smart way, as he is capable we just haven't seen it in a while.

Truly I expected JD to shine with the other guys out of the line-up and step up and take charge. I mean Hay started him on a line with Kraus and Lucic right out of the gate and as the games went on he did not prove himself worthy of the honour and was shifted down the line-up as the games went on.

rinkrat
12-31-2006, 01:09 PM
Apparantly the Flames are happy with JD Watt...

The Vancouver Giants congratulate forward J.D. Watt on signing his first National Hockey League contract with the Calgary Flames. As per club policy, terms of Watt's entry level contract were not released.

Into his fourth season with the Giants, Watt currently leads the team in goals (18), is 6th overall in team scoring (18g,12a), and 2nd in penalty minutes (107). Earlier this season, Watt was named to Team WHL to participate in the 2006 ADT Canada Russia Challenge.

"J.D. has gotten off to a great start this year and the Flames have realized they've got a great prospect in their system," says Giants General Manager Scott Bonner. "He's been a power presence for our hockey club the past few seasons and I know the Flames are excited to him a part of their future plans."

The native of Cremona, Alberta was drafted by the Flames in the fourth round of the 2005 NHL Entry Draft (111th overall). In 163 career WHL games, Watt has 33 goals, 48 assists, and 519 penalty minutes.

dondo
12-31-2006, 01:21 PM
although rinkrat this is based on a player who no longer shows up -- its not a slump necessarily, but more a lack of total effort from where I've been sitting.

early in the Kamloops game I watched JD for a few shifts almost exclusively -- and he was in cherry pick mode. He got an assist in that game before taking the dumb elbowing penalty, but the same effort from the beginning of the season is not there anymore. Its almost like he and Milan have switched places. early in the season JD was carrying the puck driving the net and mucking it out in the corners while laying on big hits, something that Milan is doing now, but did not start out the season doing.

I know this is one fan's opinion, but from the games I've watched this is how I have seen it.

Kassian
01-01-2007, 04:23 AM
Personally, I would rather have this Watt and just another Flatters like he has been in years previous.

I wouldn't. This Watt doesn't play with as much passion and frankly when he isn't scoring (which has been the case for a while now) he is completely useless. He is lazy and is usually good for one stupid penalty every game. At least the Watt from previous years would throw the body and stick up for his teammates. If Watt was somehow keeping on pace with his play early on then I'd agree with what you said. But he hasn't done much at all lately...