PDA

View Full Version : Trade Speculation

Beaner
12-30-2006, 01:01 AM
Ok, didnt hear this myself, but it comes from my friends over on the tips board and according to them the current rumors are:

And I stress these are rumors and speculations.

And this is from the Kelowna beat writers....

Says he wouldn't be surprised to see Westblom and Ray packaged to Vancouver.

and

they also speculated about Slade (g,20) headed to PG.

No word on any other parts of the deals.

Pure speculation on my part now:

Word out of PG is that Dudas (D,18) has left PG. Could a trade be Dudas for Slade?

http://www.whlfans.ca/showthread.php?p=68203#post68203

I stress again this is all speculation.

Redwic
12-30-2006, 06:29 AM
He said that in an interview with the Silvertips' commentator (Keith Gerhart) during one of the intermissions last night. I find the likelihood of Westblom and Ray being traded to Vancouver as very unlikely, considering that they are intradivisional rivals. Then again, the last time that Everett played at Kelowna, the same beat writer basically said that Chris Ray would certainly go to the Silvertips. In fact, I seem to recall that beat writer making outlandish trade speculations last season, as well, none of which came to be.

I wouldn't read too much into the Westblom/Ray thing.

As for Slade possibly going to Prince George, I find that possibility much more plausible. And what is happening in PG, anyway? Last season, it seemed like they *finally* had turned things around there, but then this season came and everything imploded. Although I won't complain about the Silvertips acquiring Gendur from PG... ;)

Knuckles Muldoon
12-30-2006, 12:46 PM
I'd take Dudas for Slade in a heartbeat, but I cannot see that happening. From PG's point of view, it makes zero sense. Why take on a 20 yo goalie for an 18 yo Dman? It would make more sense for them to go after Westblom if they need a vet goaler this year. But is Westie an upgrade on Cyr/White? Not really.
As for Ray and Westblom, I can't see the Giants picking up Westblom. If the Giants need to pick up a goaler, it had better be a reasonable upgrade on Sexsmith, and I'm not sure Westblom fits the bill. At this point, the Giants goaltending situation comes down to one of two options. Get a real good vet starter or stand pat with Sexy and Neufeld. And by real good vet starter, I mean Price/Moir or agreeing to take back Slade. Nothing else makes much sense to me. As for Ray, I love him and would take him in a heartbeat for a reasonable price. He's solid at both ends of the ice, shows up every night, and has MC experience. He's an excellent player. I can't see the Tips grabbing him, as they would them have to drop one of Guts, Zetariuk or Fransoo. I'm fairly convinced that Ray will be our third 20 yo, just wondering what the cost will be.
We're bearing down on trade deadline now, it's time for Bones to earn his money, and there's no room here for mistakes.

Beaner
12-30-2006, 02:15 PM
The only reason I speculate about Dudas for Salde is because of Dudas leaving the team and the supposed rumor that the Cougars are interested in Slade. The other reason is that PG just opened up a 20 spot with the Robertson move they made earlier with Seattle.

If that was to happen you would think the price would have to be Slade ++, for Dudas. Maybe picks or a prospect.

See both teams face a tough road to trade either Slade or Dudas. It's hard to get fair value for a player when they quit your team, thus it may just work out.

It does seem rather lopsided for Vancouver though, if the deal is straight up. Mind you the Cougars have made more then a few strange trades so far this year.

--

As to Westbloom and Ray coming here, I can only think of 3 things as to why that would happen.

1- Kelowna wants to give Westbloom another shot at a title, and is saying to Vancouver if you want Ray you have to take Westy.

2- Kelowna wants Neufeld. I cant see Vancouver moving Sexsmith.

3- Vancouver wants the experience of Westbloom. He is the only goalie out there besides Slade who has MC experience.

Kelowna is rebuilding, Hamilton is smart, he wont worry about trading to a division rival as long as he gets stuff to build with for the future. Realistically Kelowna will be fighting to make the playoffs, and if they do make it they shouldn't make it out of the first round.

Swando
12-30-2006, 03:16 PM
Interesting speculations. I wish the WHL might be a bit more co-operative amongst their teams in helping out a MC host team. Look what happened last year in the East...Bourdon going to Moncton etc . It seems that in the O or Q they land a few big names to load up for the MC run.

Carebear
12-30-2006, 04:39 PM
If Slade goes to any team in PG, it'll be the Spruce Kings, not the Cougars.

Knuckles Muldoon
12-30-2006, 05:16 PM
The only reason I speculate about Dudas for Salde is because of Dudas leaving the team and the supposed rumor that the Cougars are interested in Slade. The other reason is that PG just opened up a 20 spot with the Robertson move they made earlier with Seattle.

If that was to happen you would think the price would have to be Slade ++, for Dudas. Maybe picks or a prospect.

See both teams face a tough road to trade either Slade or Dudas. It's hard to get fair value for a player when they quit your team, thus it may just work out.

It does seem rather lopsided for Vancouver though, if the deal is straight up. Mind you the Cougars have made more then a few strange trades so far this year.

--

As to Westbloom and Ray coming here, I can only think of 3 things as to why that would happen.

1- Kelowna wants to give Westbloom another shot at a title, and is saying to Vancouver if you want Ray you have to take Westy.

2- Kelowna wants Neufeld. I cant see Vancouver moving Sexsmith.

3- Vancouver wants the experience of Westbloom. He is the only goalie out there besides Slade who has MC experience.

Kelowna is rebuilding, Hamilton is smart, he wont worry about trading to a division rival as long as he gets stuff to build with for the future. Realistically Kelowna will be fighting to make the playoffs, and if they do make it they shouldn't make it out of the first round.
I don't think moving Slade is very important to the Giants at this point. If they can, and get something useful, great! If not, its no big deal. He can sit. He dug his grave and I doubt Bones wakes up everyday actively looking to move him, although I doubt you're suggesting the Giants are concerned about Slade at this point. An 18 yo Dman who's sitting is another case entirely. I'd take a Westblom and Ray package, but I wouldn't pay a ton for it. Sexy is our goalie for the next two years, period. So what's it worth to rent Westblom for the rest of this year? Not that much, IMO. And would he play in the playoffs ahead of Sexy? He's got the experience, but technically I don't know that he's any better than Sexy right now. I just think that we need a solid but unspectacular vet to backup (like Neufeld) if the braintrust decide that we're riding Sexy all the way.
Beaner, your #1 scenario is possible, but I hope its not a condition to getting Ray. And suddenly, I don't think that Kelowna care a lick about making the playoffs this year after dumping Ofukany. They are unloading, just like Portland. And would Bones play Kelowna and Portland off against one another for the cheapest deal to get either Ray or Klinkhammer? There are still a number interesting possibilities to consider.

Hunt24
12-30-2006, 05:25 PM
The Bourdon trade was one of the most controversial in Q history and even his return has caused a lot of problems in Moncton.

Essentially the trade brokedown like this:

To the Moncton Wildcats
Luc Bourdon

To the Val d'Or Foreurs
19-year-old defenceman Jean-Sebastien Adam
20-year-old forward Ian Mathieu-Girard
and Future Considerations

The Futures in this case was then 17-year-old Brad Marchand who was shipped to Val d'Or AFTER the Memorial Cup. So they were able to keep their young talented forward for the playoffs and then had to ship him off after the season was over. Problem is they told everybody what the futures were and that got some people upset.

Further complicating the trade was the clause that would cause Moncton to ship another player to Val d'Or only if Bourdon was returned by the Canucks this season. That player was Jerome Samson, one of the most popular players in Moncton, who is 19 now and at the time the trade was completed a few weeks ago, was one of Moncton's leading scorers. I've talked to the former president of their booster club, and the trade has divided the community, some say it's ruined the club and Bourdon gets half "boo" and half "Luc" for home games.

One thing that's different, is that Toigo, for all the love he shows the players has pissed off other owners/GMs around the league. The issue with flying players home from trips, buying them Armani suits, etc. hasn't made him very popular as it tends to make them look bad. With that comes the reluctancy of teams to deal with Vancouver.

There is also the fact that Bonner has killed teams in trades previously and some GMs may be gun shy. Think Portland wants a do-over on the Mikkelson deal? Regina's probably not loving the Tartaglione trade.

Despite our best hopes, Gagnon is probably not coming here as Bonner and Farwell aren't buddies and Seattle can probably win a round in the US division. Ray from Kelowna is another one where it'd be tough to get him out of there considering they're division rivals. Hamilton knows he can hold the Giants hostage for a pretty penny.

If things don't turn around here in the next three games it's safe to say that Bonner might do something drastic. That could include trading away some of the prized younger talent that has us all drooling. Machacek, Blum, Regner are all guys that could be traded and that's a shame. But in the next 20 years, the Giants will NEVER have a guaranteed shot at the Memorial Cup. Who knows, maybe they can structure a deal that sees us get back a good 19 or 20 year old forward in exchange for Blum/Machacek AFTER the season is over. But the Giants don't have a cozy relationship with some teams in the DUB (see Everett providing OHL and QMJHL teams with scouting reports) and it may be difficult to find somebody willing to do that.

rinkrat
12-30-2006, 06:20 PM
I don't think moving Slade is very important to the Giants at this point. If they can, and get something useful, great! If not, its no big deal. He can sit. He dug his grave and I doubt Bones wakes up everyday actively looking to move him, although I doubt you're suggesting the Giants are concerned about Slade at this point..

I can't understand why they would want Slade to take one spot on their 50 player PPL.Its seems silly to hurt the team just to get a little pay back on Dustin.
They should trade him out East or just cut him loose and sign a young prospect to the list.

Hunt24
12-31-2006, 01:38 AM
Slade isn't on their 50 man list. He's on the suspended list, which does not take up one of the 50. It works the same for guys playing pro right now.

I say let him rot.

rinkrat
12-31-2006, 01:49 AM
OK I didn't realize that,thanks.I guess Brule isn't on the list eh?

Hunt24
12-31-2006, 01:52 AM
He's on the "pro list". It's not fair to teams to make them protect a guy like Brule when he's playing a level up.

Swando
12-31-2006, 03:26 AM
[B]If things don't turn around here in the next three games it's safe to say that Bonner might do something drastic. That could include trading away some of the prized younger talent that has us all drooling. Machacek, Blum, Regner are all guys that could be traded and that's a shame. But in the next 20 years, the Giants will NEVER have a guaranteed shot at the Memorial Cup.

Good thots Hunt24 BUT imo I don't see any of your named younger players going anywhere. This is a business #1 for Toigo and I think he's building a contender for years to come and giving up prize possession(s) for immediate gain would hurt his pocket book down the road. Tonight's game vs Chilliwack and Thurs vs the Blazers should make us realize with a "great Hay system" we can compete at a very high level with 1/2 a team. Yes if there was a Brule out there to be had that can change a game --great--but I don't see to many players in this league that are available that Toigo/Bones would trade the house for (meaning top young prospects). I'd rather see fringe players and draft picks if we were to aquired a late pick up. Fringe I mean a Dulle, Toigo type.

Can you fill me in on the Everett scouting for the OHL & Q thing?

Beaner
12-31-2006, 10:56 AM
Can you fill me in on the Everett scouting for the OHL & Q thing?

During the Memorial cup last year the Silvertips sent the OHL and Q teams their scouting information on the Giants.

Heres the link to the thread about it. http://www.whlfans.ca/showthread.php?t=7641&highlight=scout

GBG BLEED BLUE
12-31-2006, 11:07 AM
Now listen good Beaner :laugh: ;)

The Blades will probably not trade Cole reasons being
1)He is the Captain,not too mention heart and soul of the Blades
2)looks like he is on a good start to the second half
3) If the Blades are battling for a play-off spot then they will keep Cole

Adam Geric is up for grabs though,the starting offer was some canola. :laugh: and no the Blades do not want JD Watt!!!!

Beaner
12-31-2006, 11:23 AM
Adam Geric is up for grabs though,the starting offer was some canola. :laugh:

And thats the final offer. :laugh:

And you pay for the bus ticket.

Hunt24
12-31-2006, 12:01 PM
There is precident for trading the captain of your struggling team to a contender. The Giants shipped Nick Marach off in their expansion year to the Kelowna Rockets who were making a push at the time. Everett also recently traded away their captain, Cody Thoring, so the letter on the jersey has little to do with whether or not a player will be traded.

The major consideration for any GM is whether or not he feels his team can win a playoff round. Making the playoffs doesn't usually guarantee a profit, but getting to the second round means at least two more home gate receipts and usually a profitable season.

"This is a business #1 for Toigo and I think he's building a contender for years to come and giving up prize possession(s) for immediate gain would hurt his pocket book down the road."

It is a business for Toigo, but it's also a nice hobby. Buying the boys Armani suits last year did nothing but hurt his bottom line, and flying the team home from road trips isn't about saving money either, so he has shown that he's willing to take financial hits to be succesful. The Giants are doing extremely well at the gate right now, and I don't see that changing in the foreseeable future. Toigo et al have used events like the world juniors, the prospects game, the memorial cup to build a fan base for junior hockey. That base, combined with the family-friendly pricing, ensures this team will be capable of drawing fans even through the tough times (which are coming regardless - ask any Kelowna fan). Trading away a Blum or Machacek or Wright could hurt the team long term, but it could also mean the difference between winning the Memorial Cup or not. By no means are they going to trade away the farm, but if a deal comes along to acquire the right piece to the puzzle (Carey Price maybe?) they would be more likely to say yes, than say no. That is exactly why Spokane asked for Blum or Regner & a pick for McCue - it's a sellers market and they know that Vancouver will pay a heftier price this season than at any other time.

Tipped Off
01-02-2007, 12:40 PM
Slap shots: ... The Prince George Citizen reported that the Cougars are one of the teams interested in trading for Vancouver's banished goaltender Dustin Slade. The 20-year-old Slade hasn't been able to find a job since walking out on the Giants in November to seek a professional gig. ...

http://www.heraldnet.com/stories/07/01/02/100spo_d06whlnotebook12001.cfm

dondo
01-02-2007, 01:37 PM
I don't think Vancouver would be stupid enough to deal a strong goalie to a divisional rival who are on a slide right now. Also throwing Slade into that mess of a dressing room is like throwing the whole gas can on a bonfire. Don't see it happening.

old_time_hockey
01-02-2007, 02:12 PM
I could see why PG would like a crack at Slade. Cause really it's a 50/50 shot. What do they have to lose? Either he turns the team around or he doesn't and the team keeps on it's current skid.

But honestly the guy between the pipes hasn't been the issue for the Cougars this year. Cyr has played well. But he needs some help. And the whole team needs a managment group that can steer the ship out of rough water and get things settled down.

But I agree with Dondo. Very little chance of Slade getting moved to PG. Unless we could swing a Slade and Watt for Seto trade. If I was Bonner that would make me take a long hard look.

Sput
01-02-2007, 03:23 PM
I agree OTH. It hasn't been Cyr that's been the problem here, its the plack of drive in front of him that's been killing the team. Its going to be interesting to see what Thompson does here in the next week. Some people are saying he should gut the team and start over, others are saying make this group suffer it out and ruin their own careers with their lackluster play.

Andy Rooney
01-02-2007, 05:58 PM
This is off of a blog on the Portland site written by the Andy Kemper.This would be not a bad deal either.

"I commented previously about the McArdle/Reese deal and allow me to put on my Vancouver Giant GM cap for a moment. As you know, I feel the Giants need a playmaking center. They have an open overage spot with the departure of Dustin Slade. If I was GM of the Giants I would make a play for former Winter Hawk and 20 year old center in Regina - Garrett Festerling.

Festerling fills the playmaker role and it would be an opportunity to finish his career on the same team with his twin brother, Brett. Vancouver has plenty of chips to deal if they desire and to me this would be a great acquisition for the Giants as they push toward the Memorial Cup in May. Put the smaller Festerling on a line with Lucic, Watt or McArdle and their size will open up for space for Festerling to do what he does best."

Beaner
01-02-2007, 06:45 PM
This is off of a blog on the Portland site written by the Andy Kemper.This would be not a bad deal either.

"I commented previously about the McArdle/Reese deal and allow me to put on my Vancouver Giant GM cap for a moment. As you know, I feel the Giants need a playmaking center. They have an open overage spot with the departure of Dustin Slade. If I was GM of the Giants I would make a play for former Winter Hawk and 20 year old center in Regina - Garrett Festerling.

Festerling fills the playmaker role and it would be an opportunity to finish his career on the same team with his twin brother, Brett. Vancouver has plenty of chips to deal if they desire and to me this would be a great acquisition for the Giants as they push toward the Memorial Cup in May. Put the smaller Festerling on a line with Lucic, Watt or McArdle and their size will open up for space for Festerling to do what he does best."

Not a bad thought at all.

Hunt24
01-02-2007, 06:57 PM
It's an interesting post for sure. But it's from a month ago ...

http://afterthewhistle.blogspot.com/2006/12/long-night.html

That being said another poster here, who is a moderator on another board, has told some people that the Pats have had scouts at the last three Giants games. His name is the one on the Pats roster that makes for Bonner. Of course we can't confirm anything 100% ... wink ... wink.

GF71
01-02-2007, 07:36 PM
Hahaha I wonder who that would be? :laugh:
ANYWAY as Hunt24 said, nothing is confirmed, so don't get too excitied. Yet. :thumb:

There was considerable interest in McCue as well, except Spokane started asking for WAY too much as every team is wont to do when dealing with the Giants this year. Tri Cities wanted even more for Price. Only a few more days until the deadline.

Swando
01-02-2007, 10:00 PM
Was Tri Cites on drugs? Asking for Blum for McCue? I'd think Blum is an untouchable and Regner would go for a 19 year old all star D man, that won't play in the Dub next year.

I still like Hunter out of PG. How about a straight swap Hunter for Slade?

Sput
01-02-2007, 10:30 PM
Still can't see trading Hunter to Vancouver, but with the feeling around here....who knows. Neither player will be around next year, so that part of it is out of the equation. But would Slade come to PG? Would he settle for being Cyr's backup, or splitting games? Regardless if Hunter goes to the Giants, I can't see it being straight across for Slade.

Hunt24
01-02-2007, 10:39 PM
I think the chances of PG trading us any player that will help us are zero. The trade for Setoguchi earlier in the season means that PG is committed to trying to win this season, regardless of what the record says.

Getting to the playoffs means nothing for a team in terms of making a profit. However, if you can get to round two, you're probably in the black. PG might be able to take Kamloops in a first round matchup, so they're holding onto that chance.

Secondly, ownership is hated in that city and doing something, anything, that in any way could be seen as helping a division rival would probably result in some sort of arson/public hanging.

As far as what Spokane wanted for McCue, they're not stupid. With the guaranteed Memorial Cup berth, we're going to be paying a higher price for players than anybody else. Asking for Blum isn't absurd, it was the starting point of trade talks, but they eventually settled on bringing in a veteran d-man and trading away McCue to a team that can in no way ever hurt them with McCue in the lineup.

The Carey Price dream is probably dead as well. We've been hearing for a long time now that the Americans want Blum for Price and Bonner just isn't willing to go there. There are deals in the works to be sure, but anybody expecting something really big is probably going to be disappointed.

Knuckles Muldoon
01-02-2007, 11:16 PM
But I agree with Dondo. Very little chance of Slade getting moved to PG. Unless we could swing a Slade and Watt for Seto trade. If I was Bonner that would make me take a long hard look.
I wouldn't touch that with a ten-foot pole. Seto is an in-and-out player. For playoffs, I want consistency. Watt is a key guy here; he has to step up. Apart from that, I wouldn't send Slade anywhere where he might come back and bite us in the butt.

Priceisright
01-05-2007, 09:57 PM
OMG! There is a forum for the WHL and also for the Gmen!

Listening to Pierre McGuire after the game , he was making suggestions that Carey Price to the Giants?

Where did he get this speculation and why would Tri Cities trade him anyway? I looked at the standings and there doing well.

I just can't see this happening. I think we need a solid goalie to go the distance. I wasn't sure why the Giants picked up Blaine Neufeld? to go along with Sexmith. Was Neufeld number one goalie?

We also need a BIG scorer. Earlier in the year I heard the Giants were after Chilliwacks property hmm whats his name Tyler Spurgeon. He is currently playing in the AHL I believe.

Cheers and so glad I found this.

dondo
01-05-2007, 10:12 PM
Where did he get this speculation and why would Tri Cities trade him anyway? I looked at the standings and there doing well.

I just can't see this happening. I think we need a solid goalie to go the distance. I wasn't sure why the Giants picked up Blaine Neufeld? to go along with Sexmith. Was Neufeld number one goalie?

We also need a BIG scorer. Earlier in the year I heard the Giants were after Chilliwacks property hmm whats his name Tyler Spurgeon. He is currently playing in the AHL I believe.

Neufeld still has yet to allow a goal in a Giants uniform :thumb: he was injured in his first game and then posted a shutout in Chilliwack. Actually it sounded like he played a pretty fine and steady game in Chilliwack.

Well Price has said publicly that he feels he owes it to the team to stick with them, so he won't be asking for a trade, but I suppose the possibility is there except that I think Tri-City has a good shot at competing well in the US division, so they won't be cutting guys loose or who can help them win.

Obviously we'd welcome Price especially after his team canada performance in the WJC, but I don't see us giving up our future to do it.

btw welcome to the site priceisright

Priceisright
01-05-2007, 10:18 PM
Been a season ticket holder from day one. :) So its nice to be able to share thoughts and read others ideas and thoughts. Thanks for welcoming me. :clap:

I just wonder if Neufeld was brought into play the number one role or just to back up?

I think the reason Slade left was because he would have to share the goaltending duties with Sexsmith whose draft year is this year or next? So Sexsmith needs to play or wanted to play.

Personally, I am not comfortable with Sexsmith taking us to the Mem cup.

We have the D but it would be nice to shore that up with someone more experienced.

dondo
01-05-2007, 10:26 PM
he was brought in to back-up Sexsmith. Haven't seen enough games with him healthy though to see if Hayzer is going to revert to the 50/50 split or Sexsmith will play the majority of the games. I assume the latter.

There are precedents for 17yr old goalies leading their teams to Memorial Cup Championships.

I think Sexy needs/needed a bit of a rest and Neufeld will give him that so he isn't playing so much and is ready to go in the second season (playoffs and beyond). I would say the split will be 70% for Sexy and 30% for Neufeld for the remaining regular season games.

GF71
01-05-2007, 10:54 PM
I just wonder if Neufeld was brought into play the number one role or just to back up?

He was brought into play a back up role. The Giants have been after Price for pretty much the bulk of the season. However the Giants are NOT dealing from a point of strength and will have to pay more than most other teams in any trade. Tri Cities is asking A LOT from the giants. Can't really see Price coming here, but stranger things have happened. The plan at the start of the season was to have Slade and Sexy split the duties and have Slade take the playoffs and Memorial Cup duties...he is older and has the experience. But...we all know what happened to that plan.

Priceisright
01-05-2007, 11:12 PM
Yeah I wondered what happened because Slade apparently left to find work and I guess by reading the forum, he is still not working?

I wonder if he is at least practicing?

Whats his official status?

dondo
01-06-2007, 12:19 AM
^ suspended by the Giants for 60 games as far as I know not sure how many games he has left in the suspension, and not really sure how it affects him finding a team that's not part of the CHL.

GF71 -- do you know the ins and outs of this situation?

Priceisright
01-06-2007, 12:32 AM
^ suspended by the Giants for 60 games as far as I know not sure how many games he has left in the suspension, and not really sure how it affects him finding a team that's not part of the CHL.

Hmm seriously? They officially suspended him? So how do we have one overage roster spot available unless they cut ties with Slade completely?

dondo
01-06-2007, 01:00 AM
seriously -- a suspended player as far as I know does not count toward the 50PPL, or the OA limit. But this is not my forte -- there's someone else here that'll know the details better than I.

SimonTemplar
01-06-2007, 01:16 PM
Hey Giants Fans, Simon in London here.

Interesting stuff going on out there and yes the weather too. been like plus 10 here for a month and no snow so the world is upside down.

have been checking in now and then on the Slade suspension and wondered have any OHL teams tried to poach him from the Dub. Paying Five grand to Van City and taking him east.

The Price situation in Tri-City was an eye opener but that team is right there so tough call. Just about the same over in the OHL too many big names floating right now.

Steve Downie should be home tonight but not for long he and Daniel Ryder are being shipped out of Peterborough early next week.

Keep us posted.

Simon

Beaner
01-06-2007, 01:39 PM

As far as I understand it a team can put a player onto what is called the suspended list for a variety of reasons, quitting the team for example.

This player then does not count against the 50player protected list, much like the "pro list" doesnt count towards the 50 ppl, but the players "rights" stick with the team. Brules' rights still belong to the Giants, but he doesn't count against the 50ppl.

As to a player who is on a suspended list, as far as I know he can go find work wherever he likes. As long as the team in another league is willing to take them.

The lists only apply to the WHL. And supposedly the rest of the CHL, but the Trevor Lewis situation earlier this year may have put a wrench into those plans.

Of course all this is heresay and speculation, as the only people who really know how the 50ppl lists actually work are the management of the teams and WHL. They dont share the inner workings of that list.

Beaner
01-06-2007, 01:41 PM
have been checking in now and then on the Slade suspension and wondered have any OHL teams tried to poach him from the Dub. Paying Five grand to Van City and taking him east.

Simon

Dont think the Giants are interested in sending him out east. Only way you see him moved is if the Giants can get something in return besides cash.

dondo
01-06-2007, 02:15 PM
As far as I understand it a team can put a player onto what is called the suspended list for a variety of reasons, quitting the team for example.

This player then does not count against the 50player protected list, much like the "pro list" doesnt count towards the 50 ppl, but the players "rights" stick with the team. Brules' rights still belong to the Giants, but he doesn't count against the 50ppl.

As to a player who is on a suspended list, as far as I know he can go find work wherever he likes. As long as the team in another league is willing to take them.

The lists only apply to the WHL. And supposedly the rest of the CHL, but the Trevor Lewis situation earlier this year may have put a wrench into those plans.

Of course all this is heresay and speculation, as the only people who really know how the 50ppl lists actually work are the management of the teams and WHL. They dont share the inner workings of that list.

Thanks Beaner I expected it would be something like that.

I wonder if Tri-City would be willing to deal Price for Slade and a prospect or average roster player?

Sput
01-06-2007, 02:17 PM

I thought that if another junior team wanted a suspended player, that the team that has his rights would have to 'cancel' the suspension because the other leagues honor each others suspesions. Now does this work just for league suspensions or team suspensions as well? Also wouldn't Slade have to clear waivers as Bowles did from PG before he could go East?

Beaner
01-06-2007, 03:13 PM
I thought that if another junior team wanted a suspended player, that the team that has his rights would have to 'cancel' the suspension because the other leagues honor each others suspesions. Now does this work just for league suspensions or team suspensions as well? Also wouldn't Slade have to clear waivers as Bowles did from PG before he could go East?

What I mean is a league like the BCHL or the ECHL. Neither has ties to the WHL or the CHL, so technically they could just ignore the fact. Same goes for Europe, he could just sign if he wants

Wheter they would or not is their choice.

Now techincially its not a suspension in the traditional sense. IE when a player gets suspended for breaking the rules, most leagues will honor another leagues suspension - See Bertuzzi.... This is a player on a teams suspended list. A different animal so to speak.

As to the the OHL and Q, technically they have to wait for Slade to be released by the Giants then clear WHL waivers before they grab him, much like Bowles earlier this year.

However, the OHL completely ignored all that earlier this year with Trevor Lewis, so whether they will actually adhere to those rules is a question.

Once again it is really hard to know the exact rules in regards to all this since the leagues don't share this kind of "inside" information with the fan base. Why is beyond me, it would just be nice to know for the curious folks.

So most of this is derived from reading past news articles, seeing what has happened in the past and putting 2 and 2 together.

Beaner
01-06-2007, 03:15 PM
Thanks Beaner I expected it would be something like that.

I wonder if Tri-City would be willing to deal Price for Slade and a prospect or average roster player?

Only if Bonner gets the Tri Cities management drunk first. :laugh:

I'm pretty sure that Tri wants one of our potential first round picks (Blum etc.), +++ for Price.

dondo
01-06-2007, 04:46 PM
They can't have Blummy -- give 'em JD - I know the price might be high, but part of the consideration for the Americans, and Price is for him to get the opportunity to play in the Memorial Cup as he should and the Giants is the only sure place he could do that.

I think Slade is comparable, Price wouldn't be returning next year anyway as I am sure he'd be on Montreal's farm team next season. The question is do they have an overage spot available to accommodate Slade -- AND in case we've all forgotten (with the other stupidity surrounding Dustin) Slade was a big reason we swept the last two series on our way to the WHL Championships and pouting about the Pats game, and his disappointment with playing 50/50 aside, he's still a quality starter and with Price coming this way -- he'd get the nod as starter on Tri-Cities (making him happy and productive).

I really don't see this being such a bad deal for the Americans and would give Price the opportunity which Dustin snubbed, to play for the Memorial Cup.

So truly I don't see this being such an unreasonable deal and we would only have to get the TC management slightly buzzed, not hammered :p :D

scrunt
01-06-2007, 05:08 PM
They can't have Blummy -- give 'em JD - I know the price might be high, but part of the consideration for the Americans, and Price is for him to get the opportunity to play in the Memorial Cup as he should and the Giants is the only sure place he could do that.

I think Slade is comparable, Price wouldn't be returning next year anyway as I am sure he'd be on Montreal's farm team next season. The question is do they have an overage spot available to accommodate Slade -- AND in case we've all forgotten (with the other stupidity surrounding Dustin) Slade was a big reason we swept the last two series on our way to the WHL Championships and pouting about the Pats game, and his disappointment with playing 50/50 aside, he's still a quality starter and with Price coming this way -- he'd get the nod as starter on Tri-Cities (making him happy and productive).

I really don't see this being such a bad deal for the Americans and would give Price the opportunity which Dustin snubbed, to play for the Memorial Cup.

So truly I don't see this being such an unreasonable deal and we would only have to get the TC management slightly buzzed, not hammered :p :D

After what Price just did in the WJC, the TC management would need to get the entire Tri-City fan base totally $#!^faced in order to remain alive and free to walk the streets.

You may see Slade being comparable to Price, but I don't, and I'm sure not may others will see it your way either. A goalie sitting at home in Penticton for two months (or whatever) v. a goalie that was just named MVP of the World Junior Championship? Boogaard'd

I just don't see this deal happening.

minirep
01-06-2007, 07:27 PM
I have heard that Crowley and Moir from the broncos, don't know who in return. You guys would love these two in a Giants uniform!!!! Has anyone else heard this?

Kassian
01-06-2007, 07:30 PM
I'd be very happy with both Crowley and Moir. Although I haven't heard anything about that rumor other than from you.

Hunt24
01-06-2007, 07:34 PM
Price has less than 1% chance of being sent to Vancouver. The playoff format has a lot to do with this, as does the fact that TC thinks they have a competitive team.

There's a log jam now for second place in the US division with Seattle, Spokane and Tri-City all seperated by three points and the Americans have a game in hand. The key is not finishing fourth to avoid a first round matchup with Everett.

Getting your team to the second round will basically mean a profitable year for any WHL team. Finishing second or third in the US division gives you a 50/50 shot at getting to the second round where you'll face, most likely, Vancouver.

So why would Tri City trade Price and risk finishing fourth to face Everett where they'd most likely get killed? Or, if they were to trade Price to Vancouver and still finish 2nd or 3rd, they'd only be setting themselves up for second round matchup with Vancouver and Price. Fans in the TC would go ballistic if Price was the goalie blocking them from advancing to the third round.

And how do you explain to your fans that you traded the goalie that just won the world championship for a guy that walked out on a team guaranteed a shot at a championship? Even the best spinster would struggle there.

The other part that makes the trade hard to make is that Blum has to be the starting point of any deal with TC. They've told the Giants as much. And that was before the WJHC performance, so the price tag is probably much higher now.

As for Slade, he has (as all WHL players do) a contract with the Giants which he decided to violate, hence the suspension. Since he had a contract and is now listed as suspended, he can't sign anywhere - even Europe. It's done to prevent guys from jumping from team to team as they see fit.

CatFan
01-06-2007, 08:23 PM
Any chance of this happening?? Keetley seems to struggle in front of his hometown fans, and we may need a change in goal.

SectionNDeserter
01-06-2007, 09:48 PM
I think that there is a pretty strong possibility that Medicine Hat could win the east, so I don't know if that is a trade that the Giants would want to make.

N.W. Bruin
01-07-2007, 01:08 PM
Like some posters have stated there are other lists besides PPL.

Suspended list - Anyone the team suspends (Slade & Scharff in Bruins' case)
College list - Maximum three players (Bertram)
Pro list - Anyone playing in the NHL or minor pro who are 20 or underaged (not applicable for minor pro for underaged unless a four year junior who came in at 15) (Brule)

Those lists don't count towards the 50 PPL or 3 overage limit or 2 Euro limit

PGFlyfisher
01-07-2007, 01:23 PM
Price has less than 1% chance of being sent to Vancouver. The playoff format has a lot to do with this, as does the fact that TC thinks they have a competitive team...

Maybe even less than 1%.
--------------------------------------------------------------
. . . but no price will net goalie

Rob Vanstone, The Leader-Post

Published: Saturday, January 06, 2007

The Tri-City Americans have not established an asking price for Carey Price.

Americans general manager Bob Tory made that emphatically clear on Friday, after Price backstopped Canada to its third consecutive world junior hockey championship gold medal.

"You can go on record that he won't be traded,'' Tory said from Kennewick, Wash. "It's not going to happen.''

The 19-year-old goaltender has figured in some speculation as Wednesday's WHL trade deadline nears. The possibility of a deal was mentioned during Friday's telecast of the gold-medal final, in which Canada defeated Russia 4-2 in Leksand, Sweden.

"I don't know where that came up from,'' Tory said. "It seems like it was a TSN type of thing that started that going.

"Obviously, there's probably 20 teams in the league that would love to have Carey Price, but I'll go on record right now. I talked to Carey. I didn't say this publicly, but we talked to Carey before he left to go over to Sweden and win a gold medal and (told him) to not worry about trades -- that he'd be starting and finishing his career as a Tri-City American. (Trading Price) has never entered our minds, nor will it.

"I think it's very important, not only for our organization but for a lot of organizations, to have your key players graduate from your program. It helps you recruit and it helps build tradition. It's more about that and how we treat our players and develop them than about maximizing assets. And we feel that we have a good hockey team that with one or two changes could be very competitive in the playoffs as well.''

The Americans are more competitive than usual this season. After back-to-back sub-.500 seasons, Tri-City carried a 22-14-0-1 record into Friday's home date with the Kootenay Ice.

Price, whom the Montreal Canadiens drafted fifth overall in 2005, has been a key reason for the Americans' success this season.

Americans fans and employees are accustomed to Price's excellence, which is now being recognized on a larger stage. He was named the world junior tournament's most valuable player and top goaltender on Friday.

"He does that every night for us and he's one of our leaders in the dressing room,'' Tory said. "He's certainly an integral part of our team and our organization in regards to how he treats the other players in the room and the expectations he sets.

"We've seen it for four years now and sometimes you get accustomed to it, but he's so calm and he doesn't let a lot bother him. He's very serious and very proud of what he does.''

Tory also had kind words for Canadian forward Jonathan Toews, who was named a world junior all-star on Friday.

Tri-City picked the Winnipeg-born Toews first overall in the WHL's 2003 bantam draft, but he opted to join the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux.

"Certainly, we made the right pick that year,'' Tory said. "At that time, we felt that Jonathan was going to join our team. His plans changed.

"I've talked to Jonathan on a regular basis and I actually wished him well before the tournament. I left him a congratulatory message after the tournament. We would love to have him on our hockey club, but that's something that has never materialized.

"Jonathan's a great young man, too, and was a big part of that world junior team as well.''

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

SixSixOne
01-08-2007, 02:17 AM
I read an article in the province (i think it was the province :S) but apparently the giants are looking to unload Slade or so the article was trying to say that.

Who do you think we could get for a hothead deserter goalie? http://whlfans.ca/images/smilies/redface.gif

nivek_wahs
01-08-2007, 05:04 AM
I read an article in the province (i think it was the province :S) but apparently the giants are looking to unload Slade or so the article was trying to say that.

Who do you think we could get for a hothead deserter goalie? http://whlfans.ca/images/smilies/redface.gifThis article... http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/features/pats/story.html?id=e32a2d3f-1c98-4892-92dd-b65993789486 ?

Teams interested in Slade

Steve Ewen, CanWest News Service
Published: Friday, January 05, 2007

VANCOUVER -- The Vancouver Giants won't forgive Dustin Slade, but opposing WHL teams can't seem to forget about him, either.

Giants general manager Scott Bonner says that rivals' interest in the disgruntled netminder is increasing as Wednesday's trade deadline nears. Bonner says that three teams have been calling.

Prince George Cougars general manager Dallas Thompson has been quoted as being interested in Slade. Bonner says he's not adverse to dealing Slade within the B.C. Division, although you can bet it would significantly up the price. Bonner wouldn't go into detail, but he'd undoubtedly want something like a top-six forward in return for Slade if he was moved to a more probable playoff opponent.

"We've dealt Matt Kassian in our division, we traded Nick Marach in our division, and they are two of the tougher guys we've ever had,'' Bonner said, pointing to deals in years past with the Kamloops Blazers and Kelowna Rockets, respectively. "I'll trade him (Slade) anywhere. But I'm not just going to give him away.''

Slade, 20, walked out on the Giants on Nov. 20, saying that he was better off trying to find a job in minor-pro hockey than alternating games with Tyson Sexsmith, 17. Slade had been the Giants' undisputed No. 1 in their Memorial Cup run last season, but, with Slade in final campaign of eligibility, coach Don Hay wanted to make sure Sexsmith was ready for prime-time duty next year.

Slade -- whom the Regina Pats dumped for disciplinary reasons during the 2004-05 season -- couldn't land a spot with a new team and tried to make amends afterwards with both Hay and owner Ron Toigo, but neither were keen on him returning.

Even though he hasn't played in nearly two months, Slade's trade value is boosted by a dwindling goalie market. The Swift Current Broncos might move Kyle Moir, 20, but they are said to want a prominent young player in return. Scott Bowles, 20, is a free agent on the hunt for a team, but he's already made his way through the Cougars and two OHL clubs this season. Neither have Slade's playoff resume.

Vancouver Province

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

defencerocks
01-09-2007, 01:56 PM
Can't believe Giants will stand pat with Sexsmith and Nuefeld going into the memorial cup. Any more thoughts, discussion or rumors out there who may be moved in or out?

Raiderfan8
01-09-2007, 03:37 PM
Slade for Keetly !

Beaner
01-09-2007, 11:08 PM
Can't believe Giants will stand pat with Sexsmith and Nuefeld going into the memorial cup. Any more thoughts, discussion or rumors out there who may be moved in or out?

I don't know what more people want from Sexsmith.

#3 in Goals against Average 1.92
#5 in Save % .915
#6 in Wins

I have no problem with the Giants sticking with the tandem they currently have. Any goalie that might be an upgrade will just cost to much.

rinkrat
01-09-2007, 11:22 PM
I agree he puts up the numbers,and is a can't miss prospect.You don't go into a Memorial Cup with a youngster like Sexsmith.He could do it,but likely can't handle the minutes required over the long haul.Like Perricone last season.Giants need to ask about Moir.
Also a tough stay at home D-man(Fistric).
Feels like christmas again! LOL :D

GF71
01-09-2007, 11:59 PM
I don't know what more people want from Sexsmith.

#3 in Goals against Average 1.92
#5 in Save % .915
#6 in Wins

I have no problem with the Giants sticking with the tandem they currently have. Any goalie that might be an upgrade will just cost to much.

I think he is tied for the league lead in shut outs too?

Beaner
01-10-2007, 12:11 AM
I agree he puts up the numbers,and is a can't miss prospect.You don't go into a Memorial Cup with a youngster like Sexsmith.He could do it,but likely can't handle the minutes required over the long haul.Like Perricone last season.Giants need to ask about Moir.
Also a tough stay at home D-man(Fistric).
Feels like christmas again! LOL :D

Well, I disagree, you go with the guy who is taking you there and Sexsmith is dong that.

Pfft, Moir. He's good, but with a total of 6 playoff games (in 4 Years), and ZERO wins, and 27 goals against in those 6 games, I'll stick with Sexsmith.

Beaner
01-10-2007, 12:12 AM
I think he is tied for the league lead in shut outs too?

yes with 6, tied with Irving.

SixSixOne
01-10-2007, 12:27 AM
With this being Sexsmiths' draft year too, I think if he puts on a successful playoff/mem. cup showing it should boost his confidence along with his pick number

Yes Moir is a good goalie but as it has been pointed out, the numbers just arent there in the playoff consistency department

Kassian
01-10-2007, 01:23 AM
Mike Gauthier is on my wish list but I'm not counting on it.

Priceisright
01-10-2007, 01:57 PM
Grr whats the best radio station for Giants coverage? I wanna know if we made any more trades?

It is now 11:57am Wednesday.

Thanks

Carebear
01-10-2007, 01:59 PM
Prob the Team 1040

minirep
01-10-2007, 02:34 PM
I think you guys would really like Moir. I know his playoff record is bad but he had no help infront of him at all. He is a great goalie and the broncos would maybe not of won 10 games without him last year and is playing really well this year to. With him in net you always have a chance to win. Can you imagine the numbers he would put up if he had a good team infront of him and not facing 30-40 shots a game. Trade for him he deserves a chance at the mem cup!!!

rinkrat
01-10-2007, 04:13 PM
Giants acquire AJ Thelan for Flatters and Deck

http://www.raiderhockey.com/

Priceisright
01-10-2007, 04:20 PM
Born 1986, wouldn't that make him an overager? How does the birthdate thingy work?

I mean obviously he isn't because the Giants already have the max overagers I thought.

cheers