PDA

View Full Version : Watt signs NHL deal with the Flames (Giants' website)

N.W. Bruin
12-31-2006, 04:53 PM
The Vancouver Giants congratulate forward J.D. Watt on signing his first National Hockey League contract with the Calgary Flames. As per club policy, terms of Watt's entry level contract were not released.

Into his fourth season with the Giants, Watt currently leads the team in goals (18), is 6th overall in team scoring (18g,12a), and 2nd in penalty minutes (107). Earlier this season, Watt was named to Team WHL to participate in the 2006 ADT Canada Russia Challenge.

"J.D. has gotten off to a great start this year and the Flames have realized they've got a great prospect in their system," says Giants General Manager Scott Bonner. "He's been a power presence for our hockey club the past few seasons and I know the Flames are excited to him a part of their future plans."

The native of Cremona, Alberta was drafted by the Flames in the fourth round of the 2005 NHL Entry Draft (111th overall). In 163 career WHL games, Watt has 33 goals, 48 assists, and 519 penalty minutes.

(I could see the Flames doing this earlier in the season but considering J.D. Watt only has four goals in the last twenty-four games appoximately I am surprised.

Redwic
12-31-2006, 05:30 PM
Just curious, as I don't typically see entry-level contracts signed mid-season.

dondo
12-31-2006, 06:14 PM
I wonder if his agent has been negotiating throughout the fall and probably began the push when JD lit it up early in the season? That might explain the timing. Not sure how these come about.

As far as I know Redwic it does not affect the Junior team at all, but then I'm not really an authority in this area. We have signed players playing for us right now and the player doesn't get paid until he suits up with the big club if I'm not mistaken.

rinkrat
12-31-2006, 06:19 PM
He likely was paid a signing bonus.At least that was how it used to be.Not sure if the new Bettman era allows that..Drinks are on JD tonight!(at least for the legal guys)

Beaner
12-31-2006, 06:57 PM
Just curious, as I don't typically see entry-level contracts signed mid-season.

No, no effect for this year.

But it does mean that the odds have improved that JD will be playing in the AHL or ECHL next year, within the Flames system, since he is 20 next year, have greatly improved.

So if the Giants were looking at trading JD his value has dropped a little bit, since more than likely he will not be back as an overager.

SectionNDeserter
12-31-2006, 07:10 PM
Maybe he will go to Omaha next year Beaner, and we will give you a 4th or 5th round pick for him, and he will leave the Flames farm system to come play for us? :D

Beaner
12-31-2006, 07:20 PM
Maybe he will go to Omaha next year Beaner, and we will give you a 4th or 5th round pick for him, and he will leave the Flames farm system to come play for us? :D

LOL. I had almost forgotten about that.

Almost.

Evil Sutters.

:skeptical

Section_Z
01-02-2007, 01:12 AM
Cunning Sutters.....

SectionNDeserter
01-02-2007, 07:05 AM
LOL. I had almost forgotten about that.

Almost.

Evil Sutters.

:skepticalI thought you might have, I figured I better remind you about it. :D

Swando
01-02-2007, 12:35 PM
If Watt was not signed by June he would have gone back into the draft thus the Flames probably signed him now so that it would not conflict with anything during the MC time . Iif he did really well at the MC then Watt might opt for that option and get a better deal from another team.