PDA

View Full Version : reality time

wango tango
01-01-2007, 09:08 PM
while a seven game win streak is commendable, this team is still 7 games below .500. even if the team reels off another two wins and turns the 9 game losing streak into a 9 game win streak they just get themselves back to where they were in what, october? november?

the blades are burning a lot of energy just to get back into the race, and there is still alot of hockey left to be played. i would rather be in regina's position of holding down a playoff spot despite not playing the best hockey, than playing excellent hockey and still on the outside looking in.

great positives: a firing power play, solid penalty kill, goal scoring by committee, solid defense, and strong goaltending.

hopefully molleken can bring in more defensive help before the deadline as we're still pretty thin back there.

Trav
01-01-2007, 09:42 PM
you say ud rather be in 4th and struggling then being 5th and on a big winning streak? Are u serious? In order for the Blades to make the playoffs they gotta win games and thats what they're doing.

GBG BLEED BLUE
01-01-2007, 11:07 PM
with a winning streak come positives,and that is what the Blades are trying to achieve and they have done a good job of that. This winning streak gives them a positive feeling and a boost of confidence when they need it most.

I am sure that these forward lines and defensive pairings may have some chemistry and getting Blair Macaulay back helps,and so in saying that what happens when Adam Geric and Ryan Funk return?(is Funk even expected to return?) Right now the younger players are filling the injured players spots,and doing a good job.

wango tango
01-02-2007, 09:27 AM
you say ud rather be in 4th and struggling then being 5th and on a big winning streak? Are u serious? In order for the Blades to make the playoffs they gotta win games and thats what they're doing.

serious? like a heart attack. for everything good the blades have done, and they have done a lot of good, it is just getting them back to square one from being down in a deep hole.

i would caution against getting too high during this win streak, just like i would caution against getting too low during the losing streak. it's tough to do in both cases, but the blades as a group need to remember they aren't even in a playoff spot yet, and the pats, raiders, or broncos for that matter are as of this moment in.

all the good things the blades are doing right now, they need to keep it up, and there is no reason to not believe they can't do it. the team has come through adversity in results, experience, and injuries. after having seen all the teams through the first half of the season there is no team in the east division that looks so much better than any other team in the east. that applies to brandon all the way through moose jaw.

that means just get into the playoffs by any means necessary, and then as whl playoff history shows, anything can happen. but as of right now the blades are not in the dance, and they need to remember that so they don't get too cocky and too far ahead of themselves. have fun, go to work boys.

bladesvoice
01-02-2007, 10:49 AM
"Wango Tango" makes a solid point in what he says...the Blades have had to expend a lot of energy to win back seven of the nine games they lost on the bad streak. They're still not back to where they were in mid-November and still aren't in a playoff spot. In fact, I would say it's safe to say that the Blades are in playoff mode already...they had to be when they lost nine in a row to fall so far off the fourth place pace. They've done amazingly well to get back to three points behind Regina...now the key is not to have a big letdown when this winning streak finally ends...and we know it will, likely sooner than later. How they respond to losses and adversity from now on in is going to be key to their playoff hopes! As always, I invite e-mails from any posters on this board with specific questions that I will attempt to answer. You can e-mail me at "bladesvoice@hotmail.com"

Happy New Year,
Cheers,
Les

Trav
01-02-2007, 05:56 PM
they cant get to over confident or to cocky while they're on this streak. As long as they play their best they should be able to make the playoffs, although it might be another 1st round exit but thats better then not making the playoffs at all.

Just hope they dont lose their confidence when their streak ends.

maple leaf
01-02-2007, 08:29 PM
"Wango Tango" makes a solid point in what he says...the Blades have had to expend a lot of energy to win back seven of the nine games they lost on the bad streak. They're still not back to where they were in mid-November and still aren't in a playoff spot. In fact, I would say it's safe to say that the Blades are in playoff mode already...they had to be when they lost nine in a row to fall so far off the fourth place pace. They've done amazingly well to get back to three points behind Regina...now the key is not to have a big letdown when this winning streak finally ends...and we know it will, likely sooner than later. How they respond to losses and adversity from now on in is going to be key to their playoff hopes! As always, I invite e-mails from any posters on this board with specific questions that I will attempt to answer. You can e-mail me at "bladesvoice@hotmail.com"

Happy New Year,
Cheers,
Les

So I can reply to this post.

bladesvoice
01-03-2007, 07:35 AM
Because they had nine straight losses, dropping them 14 games below .500 and into last place at such an early time of the season, the Blades were forced to play a lot more desparately than had they lost, say, just three or four in a row...hence, they've expended a lot of energy to make their situation a lot less bleak than it was three weeks ago! A long losing streak, as the Blades suffered through, took away any possible breathing space that they could have had. Had they not won seven straight, their chances of getting back to where they are became less likely. While fans expect their team to work hard every minute of every one of the 72 games they play, that doesn't happen. Think to your own jobs, if you get a chance to relax during the course of a day, you take it. And, like it or not, playing hockey is a job for these young men...and they don't get paid like a professional does! I hope that clears things up.

Les

maple leaf
01-03-2007, 07:27 PM
I can't speak for the Blade player's but my take on the (expended energy) is.

During their recent 9 game losing streak if anything that is where they used alot of expended energy. You work so hard mentally that is emotionly draining on your body, where it is hard to get up in the morning, when you come to the rink and practice and practice and still nothing happen's to change that losing way you start getting stressed out and tighten up and you lose alot of confedence wondering if it is every go'in to change in a positive way. Then all of a sudden the bounce's start going your way you start to win some hockey game's you can hardly wait to get to the rink, you got that extra jump in your leg's you are around the guy's and they are all positve with smile's on their face's, your confedence start's coming back. So what I'm trying to say is a winning streak is alot less taxing on the body then a long losing streak.

Kudo's to the Blade player's for sticking with it through a long losing streak. It will pay hugh dividen's for this young team this year and the few year's to come.

ProStaff
01-03-2007, 09:01 PM
I 100% agree, applause I wish Blades fans wouldn't be so negative, it's okay to be proud of the boy's , we don't have to go around bragging, but there is nothing wrong in a little confidence. haha

Bran
01-04-2007, 03:31 PM
I didn't read every post, but I can understand what the original post was saying. Look at the Pats last season...they went on a tear to finish off the year, and were burned out come playoff time. It's hard to say what will happen, but the Blades risk wearing themselves out. I'm not saying that they shouldn't work hard, and winning games is obviously most important when it comes to standings. They can't move up in the standings and into a playoff spot without winning. It's almost a double edged sword. I wouldn't say that this is an entirely bad thing for the team, though...They have plenty of time between now and the end of the season for things to even out a bit. And a winning streak like that is a huge confidence booster. As long as they don't get cocky about it. If the Pats can get their confidence back (and keep it!) and the Blades continue to exceed expectations, it could be a good race. This division is strange...The Pats are in 4th but only 9 points out of 1st with plenty of time to catch up (especially with the way the second half of their schedule is...mostly divisional home games). Anything can happen!