PDA

View Full Version : Keen's Korner January 03/07

Scout
01-03-2007, 07:32 AM
Wednesday, January 03, 2007
Why the Broncos should trade Moir At the deadline

This is just my opinion but I think it's the right move for the long term of this hockey team. Before you hang me, let me explain.

First up, this is easier said than done. It's not like you can wave the magic wand and voila! It's a process that involves a lot of talk back and forth and it has to be the right fit for both teams. The right offer may never materialize before January 11th and that's fine.

Trading Moir will allow several things to happen for this hockey club. Let's detail them:

1. Trading away the 20 year-old goaltender will free-up a 20 year-old spot for a veteran forward - providing there is one available at the deadline. There seems to be an abundance of 20 year-old defenseman in the league but not a lot of forwards. This is where the magic wand would come in handy.

2. Moving Moir would allow the Broncos to recall top goaltending prospect Ian Curtis for the remainder of the year. The 16 year-old is currently playing in Cowichan Valley of the BCHL. He could come in and play in a handful of games behind Travis Yonkman and should be able to provide some solid goaltending in that role.

3. The move would allow Travis Yonkman to get some valuable WHL playoff experience. Why not get Yonkman some experience now? When the Broncos are a contender next year and the year after it's going to be Yonkman carrying the load in goal. A series or two would pay off in the long run.

4. Kyle Moir has never won a playoff game. Make no mistake, he is the Broncos two-time MVP and has done it all in the regular season. But, he's 0-6 in the playoffs in his career. I think he's the best Broncos goaltender I've seen (B.J. Boxma and Bryce Wandler included), playoffs just hasn't been his thing.

5. Moir deserves a shot with a WHL championship contender. He's closing in on Jeff Calvert's all-time mark of most games played as a WHL goaltender. He's paid his dues and could compliment a team down the stretch that wants to shore-up their goaltending.

These factors make it obvious to me. But, as I pointed out earlier the right offer may never come before the 11th. If it's a 3rd round draft pick in return, they can't make that move. The Broncos need a body or two in return to help them. That may be more than other teams are willing to pay for Moir's services.

If Moir is still a Bronco after January 11th then great! He has some unfinished business with this team and would be motivated to end his WHL career on a strong note.

I think we should trust any decision the Broncos management makes in this regard. They will do what's best for the present and the future of the hockey club.

Now, do you agree or disagree and why?

Offsider
01-03-2007, 11:22 AM
Well done Jon

But for this
I think we should trust any decision the Broncos management makes in this regard. They will do what's best for the present and the future of the hockey club.

If this was true we would still have 32 point 12 g 20 a Josh Aspenlind
instead off some of the floaters we have

Scout
01-03-2007, 10:56 PM
Wednesday, January 03, 2007
Canada Proves Me Wrong! Romer Makes NHL Debut

Well, my Canadian World Junior prediction fell through today with Canada advancing to the gold medal game. I has said earlier in "Keen's Korner" that Canada would finish 3rd or 4th but today's win over the U.S. means they will place either 1st or 2nd. I must say Canada was on the ropes in that one and needed that goal with 8 minutes left in the 3rd to force overtime.

Was that shootout something else or what!? Jon Toews has made me a believer. His three snipes in the shootout to win the game was nothing short of spectacular. He went toe-to-toe with the WHL's biggest breakaway threat Peter Mueller and beat him.

You get some of the best 18 and 19 year old talent in the world, give them those slick one-piece sticks, add a god-given quick release and it equals no chance for a goaltender. That's the key in the shootout. Get into a good shooting position in the slot and wire it low or high to a corner. Don't waste time with a high degree of difficulty deke. The Broncos, who are 3-1 in shootouts this season, should've been taking notes today. Guys like Levi Nelson have caught on. He's just skates in and shelves it. Kyle Bortis, Brady Leavold and Dale Wiese should also should be near the shooters list with their ability to fire it.

Canada will play for the gold medal Friday. We'll carry the game against the Russians beginning at noon as we join The Fan 590's coverage.

It's about time for former Broncos defenseman Aaron Rome. He made his NHL debut last night for the Anaheim Ducks in Detroit. He played about 15 minutes and was a -1. He was on the ice for the Red Wings winner in the third period. As I said this morning on the sportscasts, It appears Chris Pronger's broken foot was Rome's foot in the door into the NHL.

Rome played here for parts of three seasons from 2002-2004. He might be my favorite Broncos defenseman in the seven years I've covered the team. Although sometimes he was the whipping boy for fans, Rome could do it all and do it well. Need a quarterback on the powerplay? Check. Need that big bone crushing hit? Check. Need a shut-down d-man to play against the oppositions best line? Check. Need someone to answer the bell and drop the gloves? Done, and done well. He was also a great interview. I'll never forget the time he declared in the pre-game show before the much anticipated game vs Everett that "Mitch Love will play no factor in tonight's game, at all". Or when as a member of the Moose Jaw Warriors when he would subtly mock the trade the Broncos made that sent him to the Warriors while on our broadcast. He knew it and we knew it.

When Rome was on the ice you just had the calming feeling. He was the man. Sure he had some swagger to him, maybe even some cockiness. But he could back it up. I have found out over the years that the best players I've been associated with knew it too. Sometimes in the hockey world it's "nice guys finish last". You need a certain amount of confidence and swagger to succeed at his level. Aaron Rome had it, so did his buddy Ian White. Jeremy Williams and Tyler Redenbach are also on that list. Throw in Nathan Smith, Layne Ulmer and Lawrence Nycholat.

Broncos and the Pats Friday night at 7:30pm from the Civic Center.

See you at the rink,
Jon

p.s. A shout out to former Eagle morning show co-host Kim Johnston in Medicine Hat who has told me he's an everyday reader of the blog. Thanks.