PDA

View Full Version : Goalie masks

loudi94
01-04-2007, 01:00 AM
I had the opportunity to discuss the lack of paint on the masks of the keepers on the Lethbridge team with some fellow fans. Some of them were told by management that the cost is too great and that more teams will be moving toward generic white masks and perhaps they will become mandatory. Sounds like BS to me. Any other people hear anything about this? Are there even any teams out there with a starting keeper wearing a generic mask?

skinnyhead
01-04-2007, 01:04 AM
Joeys mask was painted last year now it's generic

langdak
01-04-2007, 01:07 AM
These are the ones that i know of for sure, i would imagine there are others.

Giants - Neufeld - generic
Bruins - Esposito - generic
Rockets - Westblom & Jung - generic

I know there is more but my brain is tired and thats all I can come up with off the top of my head

GOBLADESGO#3 (among other aliases)
01-04-2007, 02:41 AM
I as a Goalie know it is very expensive to get your mask painted and when you're moving to a new city it might be hard to finds a specific air-brusher that does the citie's WHL team. Another reason is what I got from Nuefeld is don't react too soon in buying all new equitment to fit your team because Nuefeld got new poads, a week after he was traded. Case and point.

nivek_wahs
01-04-2007, 04:04 AM
Both Pats' goalies have generic-type white masks with little Pats logos on them (and their numbers on the back of the mask).

HAF
01-04-2007, 06:24 AM
Price and Pickard both have painted masks here. In fact, Pickard and the Ams just had a contest where fans sent in their designs to be selected by Chet Pickard and the winning design was put on chets mask.

Five Hole
01-04-2007, 08:58 AM
Another reason is what I got from Nuefeld is don't react too soon in buying all new equitment to fit your team because Nuefeld got new poads, a week after he was traded. Case and point.

Are you saying, playing in this league, he had to buy his own gear?
Maybe I'm out to lunch, but I thought the teams supplied all the equipment, including for goalies. Or, is it the case where they'll supply some standard brand and if you want something higher end you gotta pay the diff? Can anybody clarify what your WHL team does?
And do they (goalies) take it with them when they get traded?

SectionNDeserter
01-04-2007, 09:06 AM
I think it isn't an economic thing so much as how much time it takes a goaltender to adjust to new equipment, and if they bought new equipment every time they moved, some of them would be constantly adjusting to their new equipment.

GBG BLEED BLUE
01-04-2007, 09:35 AM
Holtby has a painted,airbrushed mask and Zemlak has a white generic mask(I think)

About the pads I do not think it is necessary to buy new pads everytime you are on a new team,because of breaking them in,getting used to them,and the cost as well.

Garret Zemlak still has his old pads,and I do not know if he is going to buy new ones,he is probably being on the safe side and keeping his old ones.

Either than that I do not know what else to say about goalie pads(well except as long as you have them of course)

WHEATMAN
01-04-2007, 09:51 AM
Maybe I'm out to lunch, but I thought the teams supplied all the equipment, including for goalies. Or, is it the case where they'll supply some standard brand and if you want something higher end you gotta pay the diff? Can anybody clarify what your WHL team does?

I know that in Brandon the goalie equipment is paid for. I am not sure what happens if you get traded though.

rinkrat
01-04-2007, 10:17 AM
The Giants keep the Goalie equipment.They had Tartaglione's pads up for auction last game(to raise education funds).Also Barnstable was wearing Slades old pads when he was called up.

Kristi
01-04-2007, 10:28 AM
Everett sends theirs to Play it Again Sports and you can buy it. They had a Michael Wall blocker for $100 bucks not too long ago.

Not sure what happens to the masks. I know they auctions Michaels old one he wore the first season and part of the 2nd before he got his new one. His dad ended up winning the auction which I thought was cool.

Both Leland and David have new masks this year. And David had his green pads now. I will try and post pictures of both thier masks tonight.

dj-kris
01-04-2007, 10:39 AM
the whl has official suppliers listed here (http://whl.ca/suppliers/) I am pretty sure the team gets a nice discounted price for the exposure the league gives them by using their gear.

As far as goalies masks go ones i can vouch for when they came here or i saw them on the road are kamloops both goalies generic kelowna same pg cyr has a custom mask where white's is well white :p kootenay's lazaruk has a custom mask vancouver sexsmith has a custom mask chilliwack archibald may have a generic mask with bruins stickers on the side but im not positive watt has a custom mask but is no longe with the team saskatoon's holtby has a generic mask spokane's armstrong has a custom mask both everett goalies have customs seattle yeomans has a custom

Spungy
01-04-2007, 10:55 AM
both of our Goalies have painted masks.

Shortys
01-04-2007, 10:56 AM
the whl has official suppliers listed here (http://whl.ca/suppliers/) I am pretty sure the team gets a nice discounted price for the exposure the league gives them by using their gear.

As far as goalies masks go ones i can vouch for when they came here or i saw them on the road are kamloops both goalies generic kelowna same pg cyr has a custom mask where white's is well white :p kootenay's lazaruk has a custom mask vancouver sexsmith has a custom mask chilliwack archibald may have a generic mask with bruins stickers on the side but im not positive watt has a custom mask but is no longe with the team saskatoon's holtby has a generic mask spokane's armstrong has a custom mask both everett goalies have customs seattle yeomans has a custom

Saskatoon's Holtbys is now custom painted.

Kristi
01-04-2007, 11:10 AM
both of our Goalies have painted masks.

Kootenay's paint jobs are always one of my favorites!

01-04-2007, 11:26 AM

Yes they do, little uhuh last night, sorry.

01-04-2007, 11:27 AM
I want to show you Braden Holtby's painted mask...well you can just look at my Avator.

dj-kris
01-05-2007, 12:00 AM
Saskatoon's Holtbys is now custom painted.
yeah i was just going by what he was wearing when he was here but that was early in the season on oct 24

Kootenay's paint jobs are always one of my favorites!http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v380/krusty_gsh/jan20172.jpg

transplantedbronco
01-05-2007, 03:15 PM
Before our current Head Coach and GM Dean Chynoweth took over our goalies had painted masks. Moir had his painted mask until our new jerseys. Since then both goalies have had generic masks. Don't know if Moir wanted to get a new one or not or if its Deano who dosen't want them.

ointhecreek
01-05-2007, 03:32 PM
Before our current Head Coach and GM Dean Chynoweth took over our goalies had painted masks. Moir had his painted mask until our new jerseys. Since then both goalies have had generic masks. Don't know if Moir wanted to get a new one or not or if its Deano who dosen't want them.
I think with all the rumours that he could get traded from the start of the year and this being his last year anyway he wouldn't want to paint it if he has to pay for it.

dondo
01-05-2007, 04:13 PM
its tragic imo -- goalie masks are a goalie's identity -- it one of the few unique statements left in the game and it would be a shame for the teams to refuse to get them painted over a few scheckles.

attach it to the marketing budget boys, things like goalie masks are what excite fans.

Bettman is threatening to force every team to wear the same jerseys (if you've worn this new tight material it sucks, and being super slippery will cause players to slide more when they go down), and like everything the NHL is doing these days the lower levels are being forced to follow suit.

Goalie masks are the last bastion of individuality, hell I'll pony up five bucks a season to pay for goalie masks to be painted, as i am sure a lot of other fans would do if asked. 2,000 people pay 5 bucks and that's your goalie mask budget for the next three seasons, especially if you get a regular air-brush artist for the team and cut down the cost a bit.

Bran
01-10-2007, 12:24 AM
Both Pats' goalies have generic-type white masks with little Pats logos on them (and their numbers on the back of the mask).
I've noticed that Rowat's mask is painted...not sure when it was done, the first time I noticed it was against the Broncos last Saturday. Can't really see it too well from where I sit. It's blue, has red stripes on the back and that's about all I can tell ya. I'd like to know what's on the front of it, though, if anyone knows??

nivek_wahs
01-10-2007, 12:38 AM
I've noticed that Rowat's mask is painted...not sure when it was done, the first time I noticed it was against the Broncos last Saturday. Can't really see it too well from where I sit. It's blue, has red stripes on the back and that's about all I can tell ya. I'd like to know what's on the front of it, though, if anyone knows??From what I can tell it appears to be the same mask Rowat wore last year... Blue paint with the bulldog logo on both sides that are "chained" together with an Pats logo that is red with a white outline... or something very close to it.

A couple of pictures from last year:
http://reginapats.com/gallery/1/5/86/74/G06_5026_resize.JPG
http://reginapats.com/gallery/1/5/86/66/IMG_1019_8x10_resize.jpg

Tartaglione's is still white...

dondo
01-10-2007, 01:31 AM
^

sneaking into the locker room are we supermod? :p :thumb:

IamBatman
01-10-2007, 11:39 AM
The last time the rockets had a painted mask in the line-up, was Kelly Guard's first season.(First Memorial cup apperance)

Sput
01-10-2007, 12:36 PM
Cyr has a custom mask, as did Bowles when he was here. White may not have his painted yet, but will he be here long enough? Usually the backup here doesn't have a custom paint job. Cyr got his done late last season, and is wearing it now.

As for pads....I remember when we got MacGlochlin (sp..I know I butched that one :p ) from the Giants, he came here with the balck and silver pads, and only replaced the blocker and trapper early, then went back to the Giants ones he had. Jordan did end up with new red and white pads near the end of his time here, but what happens to them afterwards I really don't know. I do remeber Todd Ford taking his with him when he got traded, and he had his Broncos pads when he came here. Must vary team to team what they do, and how much they are willing to pay.

Bran
01-13-2007, 03:39 PM
From what I can tell it appears to be the same mask Rowat wore last year... Blue paint with the bulldog logo on both sides that are "chained" together with an Pats logo that is red with a white outline... or something very close to it.

A couple of pictures from last year:
http://reginapats.com/gallery/1/5/86/74/G06_5026_resize.JPG
http://reginapats.com/gallery/1/5/86/66/IMG_1019_8x10_resize.jpg

Tartaglione's is still white...
I got a closer look at it last night...it's definately the same as last year.

I'm not a huge fan of Yeomans' mask...actually, I really like the mask, I just think it looks a little off with the jersey.

Wildeyes
01-14-2007, 12:40 AM
Deckert has a painted mask now it looks a little like what Reggie had when he was here in PA

Newer Raider logo on the one side old raider logo on the other the only diff Reggie had was he had a Buffalo on the middle of his head Manatoba kid

I am not to sure on Deckerts

GBG BLEED BLUE
01-17-2007, 09:17 PM
I had a chance to see Linden Rowat's mask tonight on TV when he played in the CHL Top Prospects game,it looks pretty good(but not as good as Holtby's :D and I also saw Tyson Sexsmith's(as he played on the other team)

patsfan33
01-18-2007, 05:30 PM
that mask Rowat had on last night is actually an older pats mask
(kinda reminded me of this one:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/PatsFan21/patsmask.jpg)

...Rowat's currently getting a personalized one painted, maybe that'll come out this weekend... :D

patsdude114
01-18-2007, 08:06 PM
the mask Rowat has been wearing for the past week or so is his mask from last year......the white mask he was wearing for about a month he was breaking in and is getting a custom paint job....... might be ready for sundays home game if not looking more like nexted weekend

nivek_wahs
03-07-2007, 03:17 AM
Here is Rowat's new mask... Not great pictures but...

Top view... http://www.reginapats.com/gallery/1/5/122/IMG_3171.jpg

Front view... http://www.reginapats.com/gallery/1/5/122/IMG_3060.jpg

Blades 4 Life!
03-07-2007, 08:39 AM
Holtby's mask is done very well.