PDA

View Full Version : Ross & Rowatt made prospects game

witness
01-04-2007, 01:33 PM
I hope the selection gives them both a confidence shot in the arm.
It is nice to see a couple of Pats play in the game again.

Bran
01-04-2007, 03:45 PM
Way to go, boys! I'm with you in that I hope it gives them some confidence. I think Rowat took a huge step in the right direction against Brandon...As for Ross, he shows flashes of his old self, but it would help if he weren't penalized for doing so! I think he'll find his stride again. Hopefully this recognition helps. I took a friend of mine to a couple of games this year and N. Ross always seems to play his best on those nights, based on what she's seen he's her favourite player...Maybe I should make her my permanent guest!! She hasn't seen the Pats lose all year.

patsfan33
01-04-2007, 09:53 PM
Definately...congrats to both Rowat and N.Ross. They both deserve it, can't wait to catch this one on sportsnet! :thumb:

nivek_wahs
01-05-2007, 10:06 AM
http://www.reginapats.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=739

Pair of Pats chosen for prospects showcase

Rob Vanstone, The Leader-Post
Published: Friday, January 05, 2007

Along with teammate Nick Ross, Regina Pats goaltender Linden Rowat has been chosen for the 2007 CHL Top Prospects Game.

Now, who would he choose?

The teams will be coached by Don Cherry and Bobby Orr on Jan. 17 in Quebec City. Does Rowat have a preference as to which luminary coaches his team?

"That's a tough one,'' Rowat said with a chuckle on Thursday. "I've always liked Don Cherry, but it would be nice to meet Bobby Orr, too.''

Rowat is delighted that he won't have to be introduced to one of the other 39 top prospects for the NHL's 2007 entry draft, to be held June 23 in Columbus, Ohio.

Ross, a second-year defenceman with the Pats, will join Rowat in Quebec City for the annual prospects' showcase.

"It will be really good to have him there,'' Rowat said. "Nick and I are good friends. It will be nice to have someone I know there and can talk to and share the memory with.''

Rowat is also hoping to remain a teammate of Ross's, regardless of whether Orr or Cherry is coaching.

"It would be nice to have (Ross) in front of me,'' the Pats' second-year netminder said. "I know what he's going to do and he's a good player. Hopefully we'll be on the same squad.''

Ross, who could not be reached for comment Thursday, has five goals, nine assists and 48 penalty minutes in 37 games this season. The 6-foot-1, 191-pound Lethbridge product is a team-best plus-3.

Rowat, from Cochrane, Alta., has a 3.19 goals-against average, an .881 save percentage, an 11-13-1-3 record and three shutouts in his first season as the Pats' No. 1 goaltender. He was David Reekie's understudy as a rookie last winter. Reekie, 19, was traded to the Everett Silvertips early this season after being supplanted by Rowat.

"I've had an up-and-down season and things have turned around lately and I'm going to try to keep that going,'' Rowat said. "And then I get a nice surprise like this. Hopefully it'll keep coming.''

Rowat is coming off a 3-0, 34-save shutout of the visiting Brandon Wheat Kings on New Year's Day. The Pats are to return to action tonight, 7:30, against the host Swift Current Broncos -- who visit the Brandt Centre for Saturday's game (7 p.m.).

Although WHL games are the immediate priority for Rowat, he anxiously awaits the Jan. 17 contest in Quebec City. The participants will be placed on Team Orr or Team Cherry as the contest draws closer.

"There will probably be a lot of scouts there, so it's time to show what I can do,'' Rowat said. "If everything goes well, I'm sure it will have an effect on the draft and maybe some other teams will look closer at me over the season.''

A few days ago, the Prospects Game didn't seem like as big a deal to Rowat -- the top-rated WHL goalie in Central Scouting's preliminary rankings.

"Actually, I was really surprised (to be selected),'' he said. "I didn't really know much about this whole event and how it went down. I didn't really think about it at all, and then I got a call from (Pats general manager) Brent Parker saying I'd been selected.

"It's a pretty big honour and I'm happy to get a chance to go there.''

ROSTER

2007 HOME HARDWARE CHL/NHL TOP PROSPECTS GAME JAN. 17 IN QUEBEC CITY

ROSTER

Forwards: Akim Aliu, Sudbury Wolves; Ruslan Bashkirov, Quebec Remparts; Drayson Bowman, Spokane Chiefs; Logan Couture, Ottawa 67's; Angelo Esposito, Quebec Remparts; Olivier Fortier, Rimouski Oceanic; Sam Gagner, London Knights; Colton Gillies, Saskatoon Blades; Max Gratchev, Rimouski Oceanic; Zach Hamill, Everett Silvertips; Patrick Kane, London Knights; Spencer Machacek, Vancouver Giants; Brett MacLean, Oshawa Generals; Logan MacMillan, Halifax Mooseheads; Oscar Moller, Chilliwack Bruins; Nick Palmieri, Erie Otters; Michal Repik, Vancouver Giants; David Skokan, Rimouski Oceanic; Brett Sonne, Calgary Hitmen; Brandon Sutter, Red Deer Rebels; Maxime Tanguay, Rimouski Oceanic; Zack Torquato, Erie Otters; Keven Veilleux, Victoriaville Tigres; Jakub Voracek, Halifax Mooseheads.

Defencemen: Karl Alzner, Calgary Hitmen; Jonathan Blum, Vancouver Giants; Eric Doyle, Everett Silvertips; Keaton Ellerby, Kamloops Blazers; Taylor Ellington, Everett Silvertips; Thomas Hickey, Seattle Thunderbirds; Mark Katic, Sarnia Sting; Kevin Marshall, Lewiston MAINEiacs; John Negrin, Kootenay Ice; Alex Plante, Calgary Hitmen; Nick Ross, Regina Pats; David Stich, Saint John Sea Dogs.

Goaltenders: Trevor Cann, Peterborough Petes; Linden Rowat, Regina Pats; Tyson Sexsmith, Vancouver Giants; Jeremy Smith, Plymouth Whalers.