PDA

View Full Version : wheres the consistency

patsdude114
01-05-2007, 09:54 PM
As I looked on the reginapats site and seen the score 9-0 with 5 mins left in the 3rd i just shook my head, but yet also thanking myself for not driving up to swift current for this game...... I seriously dont know what is wrong with this team...I believe this team has the skill to get it done but have no idea what is wrong with the team as a whole.....Is it the coaches not getting the players motivated or prepared properly, or maybe the players loosing respect for the coaches....or is it just the players themselves.

I knew from the begining of the year we wouldnt be a strong team like we were last season..... but the past month, month and a half i never once thought we would be playing this bad...we show spurts throughout games on what we r capable of doin but have a hard time putting it together for a whole game let alone a few games in a row.

I remember reading a post before on Reinhart and 1 guy put our record with him in the line-up and a record without him in the line-up...... i remember the record with him was quite impressive....so maybe Parker go bring Reinhart back so our record can improve lol

Anyways i cant wait till the Pats can find there game if they can this season......I have said before we are not a elite team in the league this season and a few of u before disagreed with me then, we are barely holding onto a playoff spot at this point in the season, if we were such a elite team we wouldnt be fighting to make the playoffs at this point.

Anyways GO PATS GO im still behind u guys but d@mn get it together already

nivek_wahs
01-05-2007, 09:59 PM
Before I really make a comment on the game tonight; I think I will take a nap and respond with a clear head in the morning. 9-0!!! :dead: :dead:

Note: that Reinhart record thing was me... lol

Fight Guy
01-05-2007, 11:32 PM
I just don't know.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-06-2007, 12:21 AM
***?! 9-0? to the friggin broncos? I could understand losing 9-0 against.. oh I dont know... maybe the 2005 CANADIAN WORLD JUNIOR TEAM(crosby, phaneuf, bergeron, etc) but not the broncos.

Im tired of all this **** we pull on the road. How do we become one of the toughest teams on home ice, and mildly retarded when away from regina? Ive already said that im done with the road team version of the pats, but this is ridiculous. I remember watching the pats in complete control when the broncos came one time, and here we lose 9-0, or watching us pound the crap out of lethbridge 11-3, and then get doubled up on the road.

What this team needs is DISCIPLINE. I am assuming that we must be getting lazy if we were to lose 9-0 to any team in the league, but there is also the confidence problem for the guys going out there and trying their hardest and still coming up short. I dont really know what the coach should do, but whatever it is, he better do something fast. I still stand by what I said about having the tools to be a top team, but if we cant win on the road, we might not even make the playoffs, which is sad, considering how much potential we had to really do some damage this season.

Also with the reinhart thing, I think that he would have been brought back in by now, but he has left by choice and he isnt coming back. We need some other vocal guy to replace him, or someone who leads by example(See last years europeans). The pats are the only team without an undisputed top player, or a clutch player(guy you can always count on to save your asses), even the rebuilding teams have those guys. All of the pats are extremely inconsistant when it comes to important situations, like tieing up a game.

Ironically, the only thing we can count on them for is being inconsistant, and I am not sure if that makes sense, but you know what I mean.

I knew from the begining of the year we wouldnt be a strong team like we were last season

I kind of thought we would be better at some things, seeing as our young guys who were playing key supporting roles last year were getting older and with more experience, but I wasnt sure if we would be a better team. Kalus and Tolpeko did do alot of the work, and they saved our asses in alot of the games last year. Now that they are gone, and we dont ahve any go to guys, we are having trouble right now. Even with all that, I was still under the impression that since the division is more slack than the others that we might have a better record, but thats apparently not the case.

So far, instead of excelling in the east, all we have shown is that our blueline, though offensive, are extremely overrated defensively, our goalies are young and inexperienced, though they show flashes of brilliances from time to time, and that our offence is a bunch of secondary scorers and youngsters. I think they are much more capable than what we have shown so far.

I hope that they have not given up after this, and will come back hungry tommorrow on home turf.

Hang in there guys, it isnt over yet!

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-06-2007, 12:45 AM
I just hope that after this we dont make any stupid trades that could totally fudge this whole team over for the next 5 years to come.

CrazyGeorge
01-06-2007, 10:39 AM
Some Arrogant Jerk, you say "But the Broncos"? The Broncos are 5 points back of Brandon and now 10 pts ahead of Regina. Perhaps the Broncos are showing much more consistentcy than the pats or what ever but they've been playing great beating PA and Medicine Hat on their home ice. I guess we'll see what goes on tonight I guess. Perhaps in the Brandt Center everyone can make some noise perhaps. Everytime I come to a game in Regina the noise level sucks. The 5 visiting fans are louder (roughly speaking)...all in all, I agree 100% that Regina should be much more than they are. Maybe the problem is coaching or the GM.

GBG BLEED BLUE
01-06-2007, 10:47 AM
maybe but as soon as Curtis Hunt gets back I think things will start to turn around for the Pats,and that is not good news for the Blades.

Scout
01-06-2007, 10:47 AM
I thought the Broncos would have a tough game tonight and it looked like the Pats were disinterested in the game. Your goalie was left high and dry i don't know how many times by your defence and when they did help him out he looked like he couldn't care less on if he stopped the puck or not. And why are your players quitting? Now i hear one of your top up and coming players ( Hulak ) has left. Is this the coach or the owner?

The game last night was a pretty ugly game for the Pats. They looked scrambly and no one took a leadership role. You guys got all the talent in the world but something isn't right there. Any idea what is happening? Is there no chemistry in the dressing room? You have a top notch coach and for some reason your players look disinterested. I hope they pull it together as i love the rivalry the two teams have. I also hope Parker doesn't pull the trigger and fire the coach when i doubt he is to blame. Best of luck the rest of the year.

Scout

Toswammi
01-06-2007, 10:52 AM
How the Pats respond today will be a true indication of the character on this team

SectionNDeserter
01-06-2007, 11:01 AM
Some Arrogant Jerk, you say "But the Broncos"? The Broncos are 5 points back of Brandon and now 10 pts ahead of Regina.I think what he means by that comment is that the Broncos are, or have a reputation this year of being a team of 'plumbers', with no real dominant player on the team, and most of their big skill being inexperienced still. Weak division aside, I think they are still doing a lot better than me or most other people thought they would.

Johnsy05
01-06-2007, 12:10 PM
How the Pats respond today will be a true indication of the character on this team

Exactly right i can see it being a good game tonight thats for sure no team can lose 9-0 and come back the next day with a poor effort.

Flathead
01-06-2007, 02:47 PM
the Pats will continue to struggle until they wise up and get rid of the owners son Parker. For some reason players don't want to play for him and would rather leave the team or quit.

Scout
01-06-2007, 03:18 PM
Sorry for the mis information. I was told today that Hulak has a bad concussion and did not leave the team. I stand corrected.

Scout

prospera
01-06-2007, 03:22 PM
Before I really make a comment on the game tonight; I think I will take a nap and respond with a clear head in the morning. 9-0!!! :dead: :dead:

Note: that Reinhart record thing was me... lol
could you tell me what other board you guys post on as l would like to follow how our old rockets are doing. had to laugh when l read kaspars saulietis was dirty. we didn't get to watch him very long but sure enjoyed him & didn't think he was dirty at all. thanks

patsfan33
01-06-2007, 04:07 PM
the other board: http://www.network54.com/Forum/40684/

well sadly, i made the trip to Swift :(

so here are my random comments:

First period was great, both teams skated and worked hard, in addition we managed to outshoot the broncs so I had anticipated a decent 2nd and 3rd

not so much...

as i'm sure each of you already know, we completely fell apart and do not for a second think that it was because of Rowat's supposed "horrible" goaltending, the kid may want one goal back...IMO, he shouldn't have been pulled, players should have been sat

as i've commonly observed this year, our boys left this kid to fend for himself...i believe it was the 4th goal...our blueliners...totally AWOL, i just sat there speechless, honestly if that kid took a decent hack at his defense i'd stand up and clap...i've got faith in schira and n.ross, thats about it lately

took numerous stupid unnecessary penalties, thats what killed us...we were completely undisciplined...my opinion: new team rule, you take a stupid penalty, you get fined!

and i admit i like Reich's intensity but last night it just got brainless... i wasn't sad to see him take an early shower, the kid needed to cool off ...emotions are going to run high after a whooping like that and i actually expected a bit more of the rough stuff to ensue than what did... *sigh* Brownlee, come back!

noticed once Tommy got a couple of goals knocked in on him, he actually stood up and causually leaned on the net for awhile as the play was kicking around 2 feet away from him, i was highly unimpressed by that..Bronco fans seem to get a kick out of it..."look, the goalie doesn't even care anymore!"...
Rowat should have stayed in...i'm going to be brutally honest here: we'd be better off if we taped the damn goalie stick across the net then to have Tartaglione in flailing around when hes 'down and out'

we do far too much cycling of the puck anytime we managed to get slightly set up...more one timers would have been effective, hell any shot with some power behind it might have been effective, our shots were pretty weak....and all our rebounds were always deflected away, thats just bad luck

T.P. wouldn't even talk to the boys in the 3rd period, he stalked around tightlipped behind the bench while our players called their own team time outs

and i've talked to more then one person who feels the same way as i do about Mr. Perkins....the guy has absolutely no idea what the hell hes doing out there...line combos, defensive pairings...not set at all....how are we supposed to get team chemistry worked out when the someones tinkering with the bloody lines all the time

and that Kyle Ross on defense thing, ya um....ISN'T WORKING!!!!!!!

its quite obvious the boys do not want to play for TP... hopefully Huntsie's return will warrant a change...if Parker makes any moves in the near future, i'd be more than happy to see TP get the boot

either way, crossing my fingers we come out tonight for revenge...we're not totally incapable of putting forth some effort everynow and then...

witness
01-06-2007, 04:19 PM
The Pats shouldn't lose 9-0 to any team in this league. On paper they are a decent team. ON PAPER. When are they going to show up???
Remember at the beginning of the year where everyone (even the players) were saying that the Pats had the best defense in the league? This defense sucks!!!! For God's sake will someone please block a shot! There is no one that will make you pay for coming in the zone (maybe on occasion Shira). You heard it here first, this defensive group is soft.
The goalies have not played that bad. It has been the defensive breakdowns and soft play in their own zone that has killed them. Could there possibly be more opposition in front of the net or in the slot with their stick on the ice? Not only do the goalies have to try to see around (or through) players, they have to try to stop all the deflections. And when they are done stopping the defections from the opposition, then they have to worry about the defections from their own players.
Now, let's talk about the offense. What ever happened to getting traffic in front of the net?? The Pats players go out of their way to try to skate behind the defenders instead of making the defenders have to take them out. Sometimes you have to go to where you will be whacked and hacked and not all the time you will score, but it makes the other team have to tighten their defense and that will create chances.
As far as the management is concerned, it is obvious that the players can not (or will not) execute the systems in place, then change the systems (or change the players).
This team is in desperate need of a change in attitude. What does that mean? A change in team leadership, a big trade, going through a boot camp training session, or sitting out some veterans. I don't know, but something has to change pretty quickly or the Pats will be sitting out the playoffs (as much as Rod says they are holding onto the last playoff spot, the numbers from the Central division has the Pats on the outside looking in)

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-06-2007, 05:17 PM
Some Arrogant Jerk, you say "But the Broncos"? The Broncos are 5 points back of Brandon and now 10 pts ahead of Regina.

Yes the broncos. The team picked to finish near bottom 5 before the season started. I guess lots of stuff is different now, but I still think we are capable of beating swift this year. Losing by that much to any team is unacceptable, like I said earlier.

Everytime I come to a game in Regina the noise level sucks. The 5 visiting fans are louder (roughly speaking)...all in all, I agree 100% that Regina should be much more than they are.

The average age of the attendence at the Brandt center is probably 75. Most of the fans are too busy worrying about matlock, and breathing nevermind actually cheering on some young'ins with sticks shooting a flattened rubber ball. I do my part to an extent, adn then there is the little kids and a few clapping people but thats it. That bald guy and his pack(swift fans) that come every game swift comes are certainly die hard fans. I wish we had some guys like that that could maybe get the crowd going.

I will finish the rest of my rant after the game is over....

Tidball
01-06-2007, 06:27 PM
i picked the Pats to take the East this season. Deck, Festerling, Lind, Ross, Duval, Ross, Rienhardt, bernhart, Rowat, Pyett, Tuebert, and the list goes on... You guys have the talent to do good here. Riech and ofukany IMO were not the best choices in the absence of Berny and Duval. The Pats are in trouble and they really need to play as a team quickly otherwise the BLades...... the Blades will beat them out for the final playoff spot. Regina is my 2nd team and i hope they can pick it up and make some noise here.

nivek_wahs
01-06-2007, 09:28 PM
Sorry for the mis information. I was told today that Hulak has a bad concussion and did not leave the team. I stand corrected.

ScoutSorry I didn't reply earlier but Hulak isn't injured... He was listed a "personal reasons" for a couple of games just after the new year (no clue as to why). He played last Saturday in Saskatoon (his home) and has re-joined the Pats. Delahey has the concussion.

Golks
01-06-2007, 10:49 PM
Sorry I didn't reply earlier but Hulak isn't injured... He was listed a "personal reasons" for a couple of games just after the new year (no clue as to why). He played last Saturday in Saskatoon (his home) and has re-joined the Pats. Delahey has the concussion.

Rod Pedersen said that Hulak had some serious family issues to deal with the last little bit.

Big Ern
01-07-2007, 10:53 AM
I'm a super DIE-HARD Bronco fan. Maybe I should not say this, but you know what? GOOD ON THE PATS FOR LAST NIGHT'S WIN! After what they showed here, they had better come out with a great effort at home. The Friday night game was embarassing!!
The Broncs could have grabbed this one...maybe....but I felt we had some goaltending lapses, especially on the first three. C'mon Yonks..you can do better. I felt Moir picked it up pretty good after that though. Main thing is, Swift never pulled the plug and gave up...they never ever do that...(typical "Dean Chynoweth" team.) I like their work ethic. It's really tough to re-focus and win, when shots go in one night, that on other nights are stopped 95% of the time...oh well...you win some...you lose some....
Anyway, Roddy is a great pal of mine and all, and we're in the same league, so it's all good. Good win Pats....but LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!!

nivek_wahs
01-08-2007, 04:54 AM
After Friday's game... http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/features/pats/story.html?id=25dbe521-0baa-4fce-b978-f7c1c01c16ba

Pats could use some help from Hunt

The Leader-Post
Published: Saturday, January 06, 2007

When head coach Curtis Hunt boards his Regina-bound flight this morning in Sweden, don't be surprised if he sticks his head into the cockpit to offer a not-so-subtle suggestion to the pilot.

"You better step on it!"

The Regina Pats need any help they can get after a disgraceful 9-0 blowout at the hands of the usually low-scoring Swift Current Broncos at the Centennial Civic Centre on Friday night.

Regina dropped to six games under .500 and has a road record of 6-16-0-1.

"We got outskated, outworked and really didn't put up a fight at all," said Pats assistant coach Terry Perkins, who has been running the show while Hunt is away with Canada at the world junior championship.

"(Friday's result) is certainly out of character. That's not the M.O. of this team. I haven't seen that happen to us in the two years that I've been here. It wasn't anything special that (the Broncos) did. They just outworked us and wanted it more. That's about all you can say."

Perkins didn't see Friday's result coming, although he did see signs of a letdown.

"I didn't like our practices this week," he said. "We had a great game, a real emotional game against Brandon (on New Year's Day). It was a big win (3-0) and then followed it up with some real poor practise habits and it carried over to tonight."

Believe it or not, the Pats and Broncos were tied at zeros after the opening 20 minutes on Friday night. Swift Current went on to score five times in the middle frame before adding four more goals in the third period.

"You have to compete," explained Perkins. "Even the first period, we started 0-0, but it really wasn't a great period. We were on our heels, took a lot of penalties and survived it. In the second period we had an opportunity to step it up and get better and we didn't. The wheels fell off. It just got worse."

Dale Weise scored twice for the Broncos, the lowest-scoring team in the Eastern Conference. Dane Crowley, Paul Postma, Matt Tassone, Philip Gervais, Jeremy Schenderling, Levi Nelson and David Stieler added singles.

Kyle Moir made 28 saves for the shutout. Linden Rowat allowed three goals on 18 shots before he was lifted in favour of Tommy Tartaglione, who allowed six goals on 21 shots.

"The only light at the end of the tunnel is we get to go at these guys again (tonight at the Brandt Centre) and try to redeem ourselves," added Perkins. "When you allow that much damage to happen you have to really suck it up and dig down to get things back on the right page."

Elsewhere on Friday, the Brandon Wheat Kings beat the Saskatoon Blades 4-1. Saskatoon remained three points behind the fourth-place Pats.

Regina is four points behind the idle Prince Albert Raiders and eight back of the second-place Broncos. Swift Current is seven points behind the first-place Wheat Kings.

EXTRAS: The Pats called up RW Garrett Mitchell, 15, from the midget AAA Regina Pat Canadians ... Swift Current went 5-for-7 on the power play. Regina was 0-for-4 ...The Broncos outshot the Pats 39-28.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

nivek_wahs
01-08-2007, 04:55 AM
After Saturday's game... http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/features/pats/story.html?id=47cbec06-876b-47f8-a687-142a32fb55c4

Pats fire back

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Monday, January 08, 2007

Would the real Regina Pats please stand up?

Regina's split personality re-emerged on the weekend with more mixed messages during a two-game set against the Swift Current Broncos.

It started Friday night, when the Pats were so inept they were trampled 9-0 by a team that scores less than a member of the Star Trek fan club. Then, just 24 hours later, the Pats salvaged some pride by getting back in the saddle with a convincing 6-2 win at the Brandt Centre.

For the 4,892 fans in attendance, it was hard to know whether to question the team's perplexing inconsistency or applaud its resilience.

"If we didn't respond, I think there would have been grave concern by all of us," admitted Pats interim head coach Terry Perkins. "When you take it on the chin the way we did and you're given the opportunity to play the same team again, you expect to see everybody's best effort."

For the most part, that's what Perkins got. However, the effort wasn't as decisive as the score might indicate.

"After watching (the Broncos) keep the pedal down for 60 minutes and show no mercy to us, I expected our guys to do the same," continued Perkins. "We still showed a lot of nerves in our zone, a lot of uncertainty. That's the collateral damage that happens when you allow something like (Friday's) debacle to happen."

The Pats' fragile psyche got a huge lift from rookie phenom Jordan Eberle, who scored just 59 seconds into the game and added his second of the night, making it 2-1, at the 4:11 mark of the first period. Eberle completed his first career hat trick early in the middle frame, followed by the second goal of the night from Jared Jagow.

Another rookie, Derek Hulak, rounded out the scoring midway through the third period.

"Everyone wanted to get a big (blowout) win," noted Eberle, who took over the team lead with 19 goals -- but was robbed of his 20th by a brilliant pad save from Kyle Moir. "I thought I could have had a couple more, but I'm happy with the win."

Geordie Wudrick and Zack Smith replied for the Broncos (21-19-1-1), who got 30 saves from the duo of Travis Yonkman and Moir. Yonkman was lifted after allowing three goals on the first seven shots.

Linden Rowat stopped 34 shots for Regina.

"There's a lot of pride over in that other dressing room," said Broncos coach Dave Hunchak. "(The Pats) rebounded very well. They did exactly what they had to do after a loss like that. From our standpoint, we knew it was coming. We knew we had to try and survive that first 10 minutes. We didn't do a good job of that at all."

Still, Regina's celebration was somewhat muted by the raw wounds from Friday's embarrassment. There was a prevailing sense around the Brandt Centre that the Pats had no excuse to not come back the next night with fire in their belly.

"I guess you could say it's bittersweet but the main thing is we did bounce back and get the win, which we needed very badly," said veteran forward Justin Scott. "The coaches challenged us to go out there and play for that crest, just leave it all out there. To have another shot at them back-to-back like that was great because it was still fresh in our minds. We wanted redemption. That's all you can think about."

EXTRAS: Pats head coach Curtis Hunt arrived during the third period but didn't appear on the bench. He was gone for a month while serving as an assistant coach with the Canadian team that won gold at the world junior championship in Sweden ... Pats D Colten Teubert left the game in the first period due to the flu ... The Pats (16-21-1-3) moved within two points of the third-place Prince Albert Raiders and remained three ahead of the fifth-place Saskatoon Blades. Regina's next action is Tuesday at the Brandt Centre against the East Division-leading Brandon Wheat Kings.

patsfan33
01-09-2007, 10:41 PM
HEEEEEEEEEY! I think we might have it back!

Sorta maybe...i dunno

What a game at the dome tonight:

Rowat showed us why he was invited to the top prospects game...made some sweet saves tonight kid, came up big in the shoot out too..love it :clap:...definately deserved first star and congrats on player of the month award as well

and i think i saw Nick Ross complete a solid hipcheck again yeehoo woot! I'm sure i'm not the only one who's noticed he's been laying off those ever since that Negrin hit...only a select few can hipcheck like that, glad its coming back cuz i missed it...keep that physical stuff up, looks good on ya

speaking of physical....somone should have smoked Yeo off tonight, he managed to land a couple good open ice hits ...actually think thats the first time N.Ross has been on the other end of a decent hit--although hitting from behind might be in question, i only saw the last bit of it and the helmet fly..kinda scared me...and Saulietis, buddy got to keep ur head up out there Boogaard'd

all in all, definately loved the win...swore under my breath abit as we got a little sloppy at times, but we did managed to put in enough effort to quickly correct the majority of our mistakes before we had a chance to regret them

good all around passing game too

kudos to Leffs for sacrificing the body...noticed that a couple times tonight

and got to thank Pyett on the game winner, didn't actually expect him to be in the shootout lineup..but glad he was

now i sit tight for the highlites, cuz ain't gonna lie...i just gotta watch the linesman get upended into our bench one more time :D

nivek_wahs
01-10-2007, 04:44 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=f34a4ef4-8a53-4a90-9a32-1d9647643991&k=66432

Rowat has success against Wheaties

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Goaltender Linden Rowat is saving his best for the Brandon Wheat Kings.

Rowat made 39 saves Tuesday night as the Regina Pats posted their fourth victory in five tries against the Wheaties this season, skating to a come-from-behind 3-2 shootout win before a sparse but appreciative gathering of 3,567 at the Brandt Centre.

The Pats have had Brandon's number of late, with three of their victories coming via shootout. The other win was on New Year's Day, when Rowat shut out the Wheat Kings 3-0 at the Brandt Centre.

"They're on top of our division and they're the ones we're chasing for the pennant so every time we play them we bring our best game and I'm bringing mine," offered Rowat, who outduelled veteran netminder Tyler Plante for the third time this season.

"Plante is a great goalie. When we play them the goals are probably between zero and three at the most. I really have to be on top of my game."

Rowat made a trio of huge saves late in the third period to keep the game tied, stoning the likes of Ryan Reaves, Tyler Dittmer and WHL scoring leader Codey Burki.

In the shootout, Dittmer and Mark Derlago scored on Brandon's first two shots, but Rowat shut the door from there, stopping Juraj Simek, Andrew Clark and Burki to seal it. Kyle Ross and Garrett Festerling responded for the Pats, clearing the way for defenceman Logan Pyett to break the deadlock.

"He shoots the puck as hard as anybody on our team," Pats head coach Curtis Hunt said of Pyett. "(Assistant coach) Terry (Perkins) actually made the call so let's give him the credit. It was in the back of my mind but Terry came over and said 'Pyett is your guy.' "

He responded to the challenge.

"I fanned in P.A. trying to go to the same spot so I had to redeem myself," Pyett said with a laugh. "I don't know when the last time we had two wins in a row is but I think it has been awhile. We were certainly pumped to get that one."

Troy Ofukany got Regina on the board 2:32 into the game when he stepped into the middle and unleashed a 40-foot rocket that went off the inside of the post and behind Plante.

Brandon tied it up with 1:12 left in the first period on one of several careless turnovers, this one by Colten Teubert. Reaves stole the puck at centre ice, skated into Regina's zone and fired a shot on Rowat. The rebound came right to Nathan Green, who drove to the net unchecked and scored an easy goal into the open side.

The Wheat Kings took a 2-1 lead when Clark snuck into the slot and wired a quick wrist shot over the right shoulder of Rowat. Regina finally cracked Plante's armour on the power play at 9:35 of the third period thanks to a one-time blast by Festerling.

"I can't say enough about our team game," said Hunt, whose team moved into a third-place tie with the Prince Albert Raiders. "The two mistakes we made that they scored on are very easily correctable. We competed and I thought we kept them to the outside for the majority of the night. Linden made the big saves when we needed them late in the game. In heart-stop fashion we found a way to win that hockey game."

The Wheat Kings, meanwhile, could use a transplant.

"It's hard to explain," said Brandon head coach/GM Kelly McCrimmon, whose team dropped its sixth shootout decision in eight tries this season. "A lot of nights we send three guys (out) who are in the top 15 in scoring and start what we think is one of the best goalies in the league. It's just one of those things."

EXTRAS: Prior to the game, Pats owner Russ Parker made a special presentation to Hunt, who returned for his first game after helping guide Canada to a gold medal at the world junior championship in Sweden ... The Pats are 3-3 in shootouts this season ... Brandon's big line of Burki, Derlago and Simek was held without a point ... Regina's Kaspars Saulietis was laid out twice by Theran Yeo with open-ice hits. Not to be outdone, Regina's Nick Ross hammered Bryan Kauk to put an exclamation point on a physical third period ... The Pats' next action is Friday night at the Brandt Centre against the Seattle Thunderbirds. Regina also plays host to the Prince Albert Raiders on Saturday.