PDA

View Full Version : Giants vs Rebels

MJCO5
01-07-2007, 09:17 PM
What a sleeper tonight, The Giants played well enough to win the Rebels were clearly a very tired Hockey Club with tonight being their 4th game in 5 nights. This game was back a fourth all night with the Giants breaking the deadlock late in the second on a weird one as the Rebels D-man fell on top of there goalie who had made the save knocking the puck into the net giving the Giants a 1-0 Lead Credit for the goal was givin to Hunt. Then mid way through the third with Rebels on the powerplay they missed a wide open net not Once but Twice at this point it was clear the Rebels were not going to get any puck luck. Then Late in the third Krause came screaming right down the center of the slot and popped a beauty over Rebels goalie James Reimer
and thats how this one would end. Not an exciting game by any standards but the Giants got the job down

Knuckles Muldoon
01-07-2007, 09:43 PM
Blazer fans doing our recaps? OUT YOU INFIDEL!

scamperdog
01-07-2007, 10:20 PM
Blazer fans doing our recaps? OUT YOU INFIDEL!
WOW! We beat you on the ice and even have to do the recaps, what is this world coming to :confused: punk rock

old_time_hockey
01-08-2007, 12:31 AM
WOW! We beat you on the ice and even have to do the recaps, what is this world coming to :confused: punk rock

Some of us have families and/or friends to be with on a Sunday evening after a game for dinner. :D :p Saw Dondo and Scrunt at the game so a recap will be coming.

old_time_hockey
01-08-2007, 01:00 AM
Saw the first period from my seat in Sec. C and then watched the 2nd and 3rd with my friend in Sec.P

Here is my take on it:

The refs!!!!!........Were great . I was talking to my friend as I left the rink and this is the first time in a long time that I have left the PC win or lose were I have said to myself "Wow, the refs did a bang up job tonight". They called it even. I couldn't argue with a single call that they made. One slight thing that I could knock them on was in the 3rd when a Red Deer player had his helmet knocked off. I counted it on the ice for a good 5 count and he didn't even think about picking it up. And a solid 8 or 10 count before he finally got his brain bucket back on. Now someone correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it a rule put the lid back on NOW or get off the ice or get 2 minutes for illegal equipment?

I thought the Rebels played a Sutter game. Trap the life out of it. But the Giants didn't fall for it and played a solid game and didn't risk a play that would create a turn over.

First period saw no scoring. Red Deer had the best chance with a breakaway but Sexsmith shut the door with a beauty glove save. One of the Giants better chances was a nice pass Czibere made to Watt in the slot. But Watt didn't seem to be paying attention and let the pass go past him.

The Hunt-Dulle line got rewared with a goal after the countless shifts of hard work and hard checking that they have put in this season. Bit of a weird one as a Red Deer Dman fell on his tender and the puck slid into the net which proved to be the winning goal.

The 3rd saw Red Deer up 5 on 3 for a good amount of time. And almost got one back. Dustin Moore had not one but two cracks at putting the puck in an open cage but couldn't. After some bad puck luck of late, I'm sure this is the hockey gods way of making things even.

Then for the final goal of the game Spencer gives it to WJHC gold medalist Kenndal McArdle who passes it to Kraus who is in full flight who snaps the insurance goal home.

Hunt came within seconds for getting his 2nd of the night into an empty net, but time had expired.

The Giants go 0-2 on the PP but the PP looked better with Franson back to work the puck around like he did for Canada on the 3rd goal against the Russians in Sweden. And the PK was a perfect 5-0

My one major complaint about the game was Mikkelson. I still do not see what the Ducks see in him. And can totally agree with Hockey Canada for not taking him to Sweden. Not once but twice does he have a puck get by him as he tries to hold the blue line with no pressure on him. Fell once and took a lazy penalty. He shows flashes of being an NHL Dman. Then reverts to a Bantam player. I just can't get a good read on him.

Now the Giants head out to Alberta for a 3 game in 3 night road trip. Repik and Blizznak will join the team in the Hat and they will be much welcomed to round out the team again.

scrunt
01-08-2007, 01:26 AM
I thought it was a pretty entertaining game tonight. Both teams brought the hardhats and for the most part worked hard.

I thought the interference call on Mikkelson was a bit thin, as both were going for the puck and the Rebel player did a flail onto the ice. Otherwise, I agree with you, oth, the refs let 'em play, and good hard hits were left alone.

Lamb seemed a bit flat tonight, he always seemed to be watching rather than getting into the action. The Hunt-Dulle-Cunningham line was fun, and had a couple of great forecheck shifts.

Sexsmith was solid, and despite a few rebounds of the juicy variety, made all the key saves necessary, with a couple of great snags.

Now it's a dry spell without Giant's live hockey for a while. I think I can keep my self together until the next home game, which I am awaiting with much anticipation: Giants-Silvertips. I see Kyle Be-ach with a huge target on his back, with Milan Lucic looking though the cross-hairs!

dondo
01-08-2007, 01:55 AM
what sad days are these when the game thread is started by a Blazers fan :p :laugh: and it wasn't even a Blazer game. :spineyes:

nhl nhl

I don't know what game you watched MJCO5 -- but that was effort all over the ice for both squads. the refs were solid, missed a couple but I'd rather that than to have the travesty that Rehman usually calls (and called last night oh Blazer fan). they let the boys HIT, which was great and they were clean for the most part and both teams played almost perfect positional hockey.

hard fought gut it out hockey with the lucky dice falling for the Giants -- not that they didn't earn it but the hockey gods gave us the nod tonight.

Beaner was there I saw him, so I expect he'll have his take on matters as well. Love that Garet got the first star and earned every bit of it as well. ha ha CB missed yet another game where Garet scored :p (twice -- sorta)

and right you are OTH ...
my recap -- enjoy

Giants Stone Rebels (http://vancouvergiantshq.com/January_7th_GiantsbkStonebkRebels_91.html)

Giants Stone Rebels
Vancouver 2 Red Deer 0

The Giants ended up on the right side of a hard-working affair with both teams willing to gut it out for the full sixty. After trimming the T-Birds 2-1 last night in Seattle, the Rebels showed up as a quintessential Sutter team willing to pay the price to get the win. The real difference was that the Giants showed up to do the same. After phoning in their last two games the real Giants showed up complete with hard-hats and work boots and it made all the difference in a close-checking, stick-handling in a phone booth, kind of game. The return of Cody Franson and Kendall McArdle motivated the squad to fight for the win. After playing the first to a draw the Giants scored late in the second to go up by one and then later in the third to salt away the game. Garet Hunt scored a beautiful empty-netter with time still on the clock in the game, but it wasn’t counted in the final tally.

The two teams played the first tight and hard. Defensive responsibility was the word of the day as both teams made sure they were solid in there own end before venturing out into the offensive zone. That said - it was not a boring first as both teams were willing to take the hit to make the play and neither squad backed down from their clean hard checks, aggressive fore-check, or faltered in their positioning in the their own zones. The shots were 8 – 6 in favour of the Giants by the end of the first and it was an even period. The whistles were mostly quiet in the first as the refs allowed the players latitude to play physical yet not cheap hockey.

It took ‘til late in the period for the Giants to get the first goal of the game and it came from a seemingly unlikely source unless you were watching their play up until that point. Garet Hunt got a hard-working goal which involved a bit of luck but should not take away from the effort required to create the chance. Kenton Dulle playing with Hunt and Craig Cunningham, was playing probably his best game of a season which has seen him learn and grow from the start of the season. Cunningham got the puck to Dulle in the neutral zone and Dulle cut in along the right wing, making a nice move to get clear and feathering the puck back to Garet coming down the slot. Hunt drove a hard shot on the net handcuffing James Reimer. Patrick Kozyra cutting back to his own net rolled over Reimer tumbling the whole mess including the puck into the net. The Rebels got a very late breakaway in the second and with a wide open chance Tyson Sexsmith flashed the leather to rob them of a goal with 10 seconds left in the middle frame, keeping his team up by one.

The hard hats went back on in third (yes even JD Watt was wearing a lid tonight ) and the only real criticism I had for the Giants game was that were not going to net to create traffic and that they would give up too easily carrying the puck into the offensive zone by cutting to the side boards. To the Rebels credit though, they play a very good positional game. All game long the Giants were getting good shots to the net only to have the rebounds swept away because they did not have bodies going to the net. They were trying to make the pretty pass instead of taking the rubber hard to the crease when they had the opportunity. However, the Vancouver squad managed to merge those two things for their coffin nail goal at 16:30 of the third.

Timmy Kraus playing with Kendall McArdle and Spencer Machacek, got the insurance marker off of a nice rush to the net. Spencer Machacek crossed the line at speed dishing off to McArdle coming down the slot, who chipped the puck across to Tim Kraus. Kraus slipped the puck between the wickets on Reimer to put the Giants up by two and give them that breathing room they’d been fighting for. The Rebels pulled their goalie at the tail-end of a late period penalty taken by Brendan Mikkelson, but to no avail. With seconds left in the game Garet Hunt stormed the Rebel zone and gathered the loose biscuit on the Rebel goal-line. With time ticking down, from the goal-line Hunt threw a beauty shot into the Rebels net for what seemed like an apropos empty netter. The replay did not show the red or green light go on before the puck tickled the top corner of the twine, but it was deemed no goal in the end. That did not dissuade the fans from jumping to their feet in appreciation of the effort though.

The G-Men out shot the Rebels 29-22, and neither team put one in on the PP, with the Red Deer squad going 0 for 6 and the Giants 0 for 2. It was hard fought grinding game which was exciting as any game filled with a plethora of goals to cheer on. Tyson Sexsmith flashed the glove leather a few times to rob some good shots and out and out robbed the one clean breakaway he saw. The Giants benefited from some luck as well as on one of the power plays the Rebels had they had a wide open net and clanged the puck off the red metal to allow the Giants to remain up by one. Neither team should be disappointed with their effort and although the home team got the win, the visitors were full money for effort and commitment tonight and their fans should be proud at how hard they fought. The crowd was massive as well, with over 10,000 bodies packing the seats.

The Giants get a bit of break before they begin their longest road trip of the season. With yet another sweep through the Alberta finishing off in BC and the US. The Giants could very well have some personnel changes by that road trip as they tweak their line-up before the trade deadline on Wednesday, in anticipation of a run for the Memorial Cup. The G-Men next suit up on Friday January 12th in Medicine Hat at The Arena for a tilt which could be a peek into a future WHL final. The game will be broadcast on Shaw, and the puck drops at 7:30 pm local time, 6:30 pm Pacific.

Three Stars
1 – Garet Hunt
2 – Kenton Dulle
3 – Tyson Sexsmith

Carebear
01-08-2007, 11:36 AM
I ALWAYS miss his best games! :(

old_time_hockey
01-08-2007, 05:19 PM
I ALWAYS miss his best games! :(

Well I think it is clear what you have to do isn't it.

You have to follow him to EVERY game in EVERY town in the Dub. :thumb:

Carebear
01-08-2007, 05:49 PM
Well I think it is clear what you have to do isn't it.

You have to follow him to EVERY game in EVERY town in the Dub. :thumb:

I would if I was rich enough.

Plus I'd follow the crazy girl's lead "HUNT, I WANT YOU IN THIS BOX TONIGHT"
hah

SixSixOne
01-08-2007, 08:35 PM

hah

http://whlfans.ca/images/smilies/laugh.gif nothing like sexual innendos at hockey games

dondo
01-08-2007, 10:45 PM

hah

LOL :laugh: well you gotta give her points for creativity :thumb:

Carebear
01-09-2007, 11:58 AM
LOL :laugh: well you gotta give her points for creativity :thumb:

It was some crazy girl who was following around a junior player and had signs saying like "_____ STILL WANTS ME" and stuff like that. (Videos on youtube somewhere). Eventually she met him after one of the games and proposed to him.

But I saw it, and LOVED the sign! haha

old_time_hockey
01-09-2007, 12:06 PM
I still think on Teddybear Toss Night you should have dressed up as a bear, jumped the glass and then gone and sat on Hunts knee. While the bears were being picked up That would have been priceless punk rock :laugh: