PDA

View Full Version : Trade deadline thread

WHL Rules
01-08-2007, 10:26 AM
With the trade deadline fast approaching, do you think the Rebels will make a move?
Should they trade for a (No.1) defenseman or a (scoring) forward?
And what are you willing to give up in return?

Shinyshoes
01-08-2007, 11:08 AM
I might catch some heat for this, but I think the Reb’s will be sellers this year, most notably Martin Hanzel.

I don’t think we can match up with teams like Everett, Vancouver, or Medicine Hat in a 7 game series this season, so why not trade off Hanzel, and if we can get a buyer, Starkov (Both of which wont be back next season), and get some solid 17-18 year olds. We already have some good players in place in our 16-17-18 range, so getting a few more pieces of the puzzle could definitely solidify our dominance in the next 2-3 Seasons.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I would rather go through a few bad seasons and then have a legit chance at a Memorial Cup, instead of a bunch of season where we are a “Maybe”.

Tinner
01-08-2007, 12:22 PM
I to think the Rebels will be sellers, in fact, I think the road trip most likely convinced Brent to be a seller rather than a buyer. Hanzel, Starkov and even Reimer and a few others could be gone by Jan. 11

SectionNDeserter
01-08-2007, 06:57 PM
I think that if Sutter doesn't get a defenseman that is going to help us a LOT right now, trading someone like Hanzal isn't totally unreasonable, as he isn't going to get any more valuable than he is right now, and we aren't going to be making any noise in the playoffs without another experienced defenseman that can play well at both ends of the ice.Also, if Sutter can Wrangle Ferraro for the last part of the season after his current team is out of it, from what I have seen from him in training camp, he can replace most or all of Starkov's offense, giving Sutter flexibility as far as dealing Starkov for the defenseman we need.

Hanzal may be tricky to deal, as there are only a limited few teams/coaches he will actually report to, and those few teams may not have or be willing to give up what Sutter would be asking(I am guessing a blue-chip defensive prospect). I think that if we can get a commitment from Ferraro to play the last part of the season with us, dealing Starkov would be a lot easier to swallow.

I never really gave much thought to Reimer getting traded, though if we did and didn't upgrade our defense, I am not sure what goalie would step in and stop 7 or 8 breakaways/odd man rushes a night like Reimer has been doing for us. We would almost have to deal him for another goaltender that is as good or better, which would require some pretty shrewd dealing.

I for one am shocked that Henry isn't gone yet. He has clearly been in the doghouse for a good chunk of the season, and though being one of our more skilled defensemen, has cost us a number of games in the last few months with his undisciplined play. I would also be shocked to see Pieper and Poulter in a Rebel uniform by the time the trade deadline rolls around.

SectionNDeserter
01-08-2007, 09:37 PM
Unless he can do something to significantly improve their blueline (to be able to generate a shred of offense from it and improve their transition game from their own zone out), we aren't going to have much better chances of making the playoffs, much less doing anything in the playoffs. The Rebels are at a point where a MATURE puck-moving defenseman or two could completely change Our imports have been among our best players all year, and will not be back next year, so if he isn't planning on upgrading our rookie-laden and underachieving blueline, or isn't able to work out the right deal for a defenseman or two, I would much rather see him pick up something for them while they are still worth quite a bit to a top team than finishing about where we would without them (with whatever we get for them).

longtimefan7
01-08-2007, 10:25 PM
It seems that SND has an major issue with the defense on this team. Yes it would be nice to improve the backend with one more experienced player, but I think the bigger issue would be the inability to score goals. Its not like the defense allows 40 or 50 shots on net on a nightly basis to warrant such distrust in their play. Brent Sutter has preached all season to the Dmen to just get the puck to the forwards and let them do their job. He doesn't want them carrying the puck up and scoring, he has made that perfectly clear on many occasions through the media this year, I think for the most part they have completed their task. Not saying it wouldn't be nice to see them get a goal or two every now and then, but when your instructed to keep it simple and do nothing but feed the forwards it makes it alot tougher to get those goals. Right now it is showing the only offense we have on our team is Hanzal. He has to be on the ice to create any scoring chances, this has been proven since his absence. 3 goals in 4 games isn't really a defenseman issue now is it. Besides the fact that our goalie has cost us a couple of games himself, so not everybody is pulling their weight in on a nightly basis.

hiway9
01-08-2007, 10:52 PM
I don't think SND is down on the defence, just Henry. He dislikes him and uses this forum to blast him at every opportunity. As to one of your previous posts SND, you said you had a source that says Henry is supposed to change and doesn't. How many players do as they please on a Brent Sutter team? You could ask them but they are all gone. As for contiuous penalties, 7 minors in the 14 games before Vancouver. The first part of the year he was in the bin too much but 7 minors in 14 games for an aggressive player is not out of line. There were 6 minors in that game and we killed all but one and you blame that guy for the loss. He isn't perfect but he works hard every night. A few more could do the same.

SectionNDeserter
01-08-2007, 11:09 PM
It seems that SND has an major issue with the defense on this team. Yes it would be nice to improve the backend with one more experienced player, but I think the bigger issue would be the inability to score goals. Its not like the defense allows 40 or 50 shots on net on a nightly basis to warrant such distrust in their play.It isn't so much the quantity of the shots, but rather the quality. We have struggled to score goals in the last 4 or 5 games without our top forward in the lineup, not a huge shock, Vancouver and Medicine hat have also struggled without their World Jr. offerings.

Brent Sutter has preached all season to the Dmen to just get the puck to the forwards and let them do their job. He doesn't want them carrying the puck up and scoring, he has made that perfectly clear on many occasions through the media this year, I think for the most part they have completed their task.I agree with you there, but it isn't so much carrying the puck up and scoring, but rather getting the puck out of their own end of the ice, to the neutral zone TO THEIR OWN PLAYER. Also getting the puck through to the forwards from the point and not into the oppositions legs due to not getting the puck away fast enough has also been an issue. Puck possession is a real key to getting scoring chances--if you don't have the puck, you don't usually score. Two of the biggest keys to maintaining possession of the puck are winning faceoffs, and how the team's transition from their own zone and through the neutral zone goes. So far we have been doing average on the faceoffs, but I think we are really lacking at moving the puck from out own zone to our forwards in the neutral zone (or even inside our zone near the blueline).

Not saying it wouldn't be nice to see them get a goal or two every now and then, but when your instructed to keep it simple and do nothing but feed the forwards it makes it alot tougher to get those goals.He has instructed them to do this because 4 of our defensemen are rookies, with 3 of them passing is... not their forte and they usually bang the puck off the boards and a lot of the time the other team just picks it up, and the other two have been inconsistent at moving the puck out of our zone.

3 goals in 4 games isn't really a defenseman issue now is it.Nope, in 4 of the 39 games so far, goal scoring hasn't been an issue. Keep in mind, I am looking at the big picture, and not only the last 4 or 5 games. In the last 4 or 5 games however, scoring has been a bigger problem than the defense(scoring has been a problem all year on the road, but moreso on this road trip), but Reimer has kept us in the last few games that we lost.

carson
01-09-2007, 07:26 AM
Are you seriously comparing Starkov to Ferraro? I mean, Ferraro is going to be great, but he's three years away from being equal to where Starkov is now. Even if we were to get Ferraro for the rest of the year, don't expect him to be any more than a moderately used 4th liner right now. The kid needs a chance to develop (not to mention grow).

SectionNDeserter
01-09-2007, 08:04 AM
He was by far the best player on the ice that I saw in training camp(including Hanzal and others), and has played better than Starkov on this road trip so far(and playing on the 4th line). Even if he hasn't developed at all as a player in the last 4 months, he is still a better offensive player than at least 7 or 8 forwards on the team. I think he is pretty good now, and is going to be scary in 3 years.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to keep Starkov, as he is the kind of player you need in the playoffs, but I would certainly be receptive to the idea of moving him for a defenseman to actually make a run at this. And if we aren't going to fix our defense before the deadline, I would like to see him play out his last few games with a contender.

charlie
01-09-2007, 09:51 AM
i don't see the rebels as big sellers or buyers although a smaller type of trade is possible. brent sutter is too competitive to sell...i just don't see it. one dman is not going to change the fortunes of the club although a good one would help...we don't have the strength in players to give up what is necessary for a top dman.

our goaltending is fine and should be for the next few years if morgan clark can continue to develop...i expect reimer to be one of the top tenders in the league next year and go on to a pro career.

our top five forwards: the two euros, the two sutters and moore are all good players and all will have pro careers, although i think only brandon and the two euros will have nhl type careers. there is considerable drop off after the two top lines.

the problem is the defence as it was last year and will continue to be again next year. considering our four oldest dmen...not one will ever play pro...they all have at least two of the following major shortfalls: inadequate foot speed, inability to make a good first pass, poor decision making in both ends of the ice...that is a mix that may get you some time in the canadian university circuit. the truth is we have a pretty good junior "A" defence and thats all. the two 17 year olds that started the season have not shown much in the way of development (levarsky has gone home) and although some may say they haven't had much ice time...the truth is they haven't shown much when they got to play. i think morrin is our best hope at the future as he skates well and can handle the puck, only time will tell if he is error prone or not. i have no idea why lamourouex is getting three shifts a game as a forward...he is not the most skilled guy but he competes and is adequate.

to top it off we don,t seem to play well on the road...

my guess is that we are a middle of the pack team with a good chance of making the playoffs (see our favourable schedule) and could win a round if reimer gets hot and we don't face the hat.

prognosis for next year: about the same.

cheers

SWANSKI
01-09-2007, 06:30 PM
I agree a lot with Charlie. Mr. sutter is competitive and will do what he can to make the playoffs, let alone just make the playoffs. The games on the road were competitive with not a great result but think what happened. The rebs kept the Silvertips to a 0-0 score and lost that with a bad penalty to henry. The goalie in net wins the goalie of the month replacing theor so called best goalie. He makes 2 great saves on on a breakaway of Brandon Sutters and another of Doucette to keep it at 0-0 middle of the third. Portlands Goalie outright steals one away. Portland maybe had 2 scoring chances off of 2 bad penalties so unfortunately one of those games where your goalie steals one. Seattle , close game could of went either way. Vancouver 1-0, moore hits post, misses rebound, Rebs outplay Vancouver badly in the third, beat them in Red Deer, were missing their top score, Vancouver had their players back from the world Junior, the 1-0 goal Kocyra tackles reimer to put the puck in the net after it was stopped, so think with a few breaks they could have been 3-1 or 4-0. Fact is they were 1-3 without the leading scorer, reality is they are not that bad and i Feel wont be sellers.

Rebel66
01-09-2007, 07:15 PM
I also can't see the Rebels being big sellers this year, not after missing the playoffs last season. With a player like Hanzal on the team anything really is possible. He could steal a round or two in the playoffs by himself. I've been wrong before and likely will be again but a team would have to give up quite a bit to acquire a player like that. Also, since Hanzal was extremely picky about the teams that he would report to what's to say that there wasn't an agreement of some sort that he wouldn't be traded or to only a select few teams?

Bottom line, I just don't think that Brent Sutter will want to miss the playoffs for two straight seasons.

Swando
01-09-2007, 07:55 PM
I agree a lot with Charlie. Mr. sutter is competitive and will do what he can to make the playoffs, let alone just make the playoffs. The games on the road were competitive with not a great result but think what happened. The rebs kept the Silvertips to a 0-0 score and lost that with a bad penalty to henry. The goalie in net wins the goalie of the month replacing theor so called best goalie. He makes 2 great saves on on a breakaway of Brandon Sutters and another of Doucette to keep it at 0-0 middle of the third. Portlands Goalie outright steals one away. Portland maybe had 2 scoring chances off of 2 bad penalties so unfortunately one of those games where your goalie steals one. Seattle , close game could of went either way. Vancouver 1-0, moore hits post, misses rebound, Rebs outplay Vancouver badly in the third, beat them in Red Deer, were missing their top score, Vancouver had their players back from the world Junior, the 1-0 goal Kocyra tackles reimer to put the puck in the net after it was stopped, so think with a few breaks they could have been 3-1 or 4-0. Fact is they were 1-3 without the leading scorer, reality is they are not that bad and i Feel wont be sellers.

Vancouver were still without Repik (thier best playmaker) and Bliznak the top defensive forward on the team as they were still away with the WJ holidays.
In saying that Rebels played a stifling trap vs Giants and could have won it as well weren't it for a breakaway stop by Sexsmith and a blunder on a 5 on 3 by Moore. Still Vancouver was the better team and your goalie Reimer is a good one!!