PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit to Vancouver

Beaner
01-08-2007, 06:21 PM
from, www.whl.ca

Blades Trade Wacey Rabbit To Giants
Created: Jan 8, 2007
The Vancouver Giants have acquired 20 year-old forward Wacey Rabbit from the Saskatoon Blades in exchange for 18 year-old forward Kenton Dulle and a 2nd round pick in the 2008 WHL Bantam Draft.

Rabbit, a 2005 NHL Draft Pick of the Boston Bruins, started this season with the Providence Bruins of the American Hockey League. In his previous four seasons with the Blades, the 5’9”, 186lbs. centre from Lethbridge, Alberta has played 259 career games. Rabbit has scored 80 goals, 106 assists, and collected 199 penalty minutes. Last season, he was the Blades Captain and was named the Western Hockey League’s Humanitarian of the Year.

Blades Head Coach and General Manager Lorne Molleken commented on today’s move
“With the return of Wacey to junior hockey we were asked by the Boston Bruins and
Wacey’s agent to provide Wacey with the opportunity to compete for a championship
with a legitimate contender and with Vancouver hosting the Memorial Cup we could not
find a much better fit. This deal also allows our hockey club to benefit in this year of
transition by adding a roster player in Kenton and a high draft choice.”

“We are very excited to add an elite 20 year-old centre to our team. He has been a proven scorer in our league the past number of seasons and will provide strong leadership with our group for the rest of the year,” says Giants General Manager Scott Bonner.

Dulle is into his second full season in the WHL. Originally a 4th round WHL Bantam Draft pick of the Giants in 2002, the native of Craik, Saskatchewan has played 43 career games, collecting one goal and adding six assists.

“Kenton has been a dedicated member of our organization the past number of years,” adds Bonner. “I know the Blades are excited to have him a part of their future plans and we wish Kenton all the best in Saskatoon.”

Wow, heard rumors but I didnt put much weight behind them - a great move for us, but pricey.

Welcome Wacey, and best of luck in Saskatoon Kenton.

Beaner
01-08-2007, 06:24 PM
from www.vancouvergiants.com

The Vancouver Giants have announced the acquisition of 20 year-old forward WACEY RABBIT from the Saskatoon Blades. In exchange, the Giants have dealt 18 year-old forward KENTON DULLE and a 2nd round pick in the 2008 WHL Bantam Draft.

Rabbit, a 2005 NHL Draft Pick of the Boston Bruins, started this season with the Providence Bruins of the American Hockey League. In his previous four seasons with the Blades, the 5’9”, 186lbs. centre from Lethbridge, Alberta has played 259 career games. Rabbit has scored 80 goals, 106 assists, and collected 199 penalty minutes. Last season, he was the Blades Captain and was named the Western Hockey League’s Humanitarian of the Year.

“We have been informed by the Blades and Rabbit’s agent JP Barry that the Bruins have decided to send Wacey back to the WHL,” says Giants General Manager Scott Bonner. “We are very excited to add an elite 20 year-old centre to our team. He has been a proven scorer in our league the past number of seasons and will provide strong leadership with our group for the rest of the year.”

Dulle is into his second full season in the WHL. Originally a 4th round WHL Bantam Draft pick of the Giants in 2002, the native of Craik, Saskatchewan has played 43 career games, collecting one goal and adding six assists.

“Kenton has been a dedicated member of our organization the past number of years,” adds Bonner. “I know the Blades are excited to have him a part of their future plans and we wish Kenton all the best in Saskatoon.”

Rabbit will be in the Giants line-up Friday night when the team opens up a Central Division road trip against the Medicine Hat Tigers.

rinkrat
01-08-2007, 06:37 PM
Great news!
Good job Bonner,don't stop now.Slade needs a new home. :thumb:

Tidball
01-08-2007, 06:44 PM
Rabbit will be essential to the giants and will help you guys get a Memorial cup. Im Really pizzed off here, enjoy Rabbit Giant fans... We will try to enjoy Kenton Dulle, my god Molleken what were you thinking. :dead:

Hunt24
01-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Not a bad deal at all for the Blades. The second round pick is decent and Dulle will be a serviceable player for them for a few more years. Rabbit wasn't coming back to the WHL to play for Saskatoon, but the Bruins were willing to send him back if he was dealt to a contender and the Giants stepped up and made the move.

A bold move for sure, especially coming two days before the actual deadline.

rinkrat
01-08-2007, 07:03 PM
Not a bad deal at all for the Blades. The second round pick is decent .

Don't forget its a 2008 2nd rounder,the Giants will obviously slip in the standings next year and it will be a good pick.
Saskatoon is making a very smart move and losing nothing.

Knuckles Muldoon
01-08-2007, 07:50 PM
Wow. A fast team just got faster. Rabbit, Repik, Lamb, Kraus, Lucic, Czibere, McArdle, Bouma, Wright...a fast group of forwards. Not to mention a very mobile defense. I'm excited yet a tad disappointed as I kind of thought Chris Ray might be the man coming to fill the 20-spot, although they are different types of players. Apart from a possible trade for Slade, it seems like the Giants might have now played all their cards. It will be very interesting to see in Everett does something to match it.
And from the Blades point of view, it makes sense. Rabbit would have only been returned if traded to a contender. I think its a smart move. 2nd round picks are nothing to sneeze at.

SectionNDeserter
01-08-2007, 08:01 PM
It will be very interesting to see in Everett does something to match it.That will be very interesting indeed, this trade must really be turning the screws on them.

Beaner
01-08-2007, 08:04 PM
That will be very interesting indeed, this trade must really be turning the screws on them.

It has to be a bit of a concern, but I cant see them selling the farm to counter-act this.

Thing is the price may have just gone up for players they had their eyes on before with this move.

Kassian
01-08-2007, 08:34 PM
Awesome trade for the Giants. That's about the only way to sum it up. This was a much better deal than I was expecting.

Rabbit will be essential to the giants and will help you guys get a Memorial cup. Im Really pizzed off here, enjoy Rabbit Giant fans... We will try to enjoy Kenton Dulle, my god Molleken what were you thinking. :dead:

I don't see why Blades fans would be so upset about this. Let's face it, the Blades aren't going anywhere this season. I understand trying to keep the faith and obviously their chances of going anywhere in the playoffs are better with Rabbit in the line up. But realistically they aren't going to go far Rabbit or no Rabbit. At least this way they get a young player in return and a bantam pick. It makes sense for both teams really.

PGFlyfisher
01-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Good score by Vancouver! Like the Giants weren' t scary enough for us PG folks :eek:

Tidball
01-08-2007, 09:15 PM
Awesome trade for the Giants. That's about the only way to sum it up. This was a much better deal than I was expecting.

I don't see why Blades fans would be so upset about this. Let's face it, the Blades aren't going anywhere this season. I understand trying to keep the faith and obviously their chances of going anywhere in the playoffs are better with Rabbit in the line up. But realistically they aren't going to go far Rabbit or no Rabbit. At least this way they get a young player in return and a bantam pick. It makes sense for both teams really.

The Blades are the hottest team in the WHL right now sporting a 8-2-0-0 in thier last ten. Brad Cole has really boosted the locker room morale since he returned. Rabbit would have really helped the cause.

Dulle just doesnt seem to cut the mustard for Rabbit. The 2nd pick is nice but i think Everett woulda had something more to offer.

rinkrat
01-08-2007, 09:22 PM
\ i think Everett woulda had something more to offer.

The Bruins wanted Rabbit to compete for the Memorial Cup,though. :spineyes:

Goblades26
01-08-2007, 09:28 PM
We would not have got Rabbit back anyhow, both the Bruins and Rabbits agent requested that he be dealt to a contender. He was assigned to the ECHL yesterday as they figured that no deal was going to happen. This is the difference between Rabbit and Cole, Cole wants to be here and does not want to be traded to a contender, Rabbit did.

I like how our team has shaped up, and think that adding Rabbit would actually do more harm than good. This was a good move as Lorne got something out of nothing. Our young team are starting to really gel together and are very entertaining, so why add someone that has not been here for the better part of the season? Keeping our team together will only go farther towards making us a stronger team next year....

Look what the Jaw did.... barely made the playoffs one year, the next WHL finals... And they were a good YOUNG team the year they squeaked in.

dondo
01-08-2007, 10:38 PM
Good deal for us - and Kenton is a Saskatchewan boy and don't think he isn't going to be a contributer. He's progressed quite well this season and looks better every time he steps on the ice.

The Blades are also getting a high pick, and a solid dedicated player for a 20yr old. Albeit a very skilled 20 yr old, but usually 20's don't garner such prices. Good to see Wacey get a chance at the Memorial Cup as well.

Kassian
01-08-2007, 10:55 PM
The Blades are the hottest team in the WHL right now sporting a 8-2-0-0 in thier last ten. Brad Cole has really boosted the locker room morale since he returned. Rabbit would have really helped the cause.

While that's true they still aren't good enough to go far in the playoffs. I think even most Blades fans would agree with that. That's not intended to be a knock on the Blades or anything just a matter of reality, IMO.

Dulle just doesnt seem to cut the mustard for Rabbit. The 2nd pick is nice but i think Everett woulda had something more to offer.

Maybe. But something tells me the Bruins told the Blades to trade him to Vancouver so he is guaranteed to play in the Memorial Cup.

dondo
01-08-2007, 11:08 PM
^ according to Molleken that's exactly what they did ask him to do.

Blades Head Coach and General Manager Lorne Molleken commented on today’s move
“With the return of Wacey to junior hockey we were asked by the Boston Bruins and
Wacey’s agent to provide Wacey with the opportunity to compete for a championship
with a legitimate contender and with Vancouver hosting the Memorial Cup we could not
find a much better fit. This deal also allows our hockey club to benefit in this year of
transition by adding a roster player in Kenton and a high draft choice.”

N.W. Bruin
01-09-2007, 12:07 AM

As the Giants will drop down next season.

Swando
01-09-2007, 12:14 AM
Now that Rabbit is here it looks like two of the Wright, Bouma, Cunningham,Czberie may be sitting. I really like the way that Bouma and Wright have been hustling. I hate to admit this but they have impressed me more than our 19 yr old JD Watt. I wonder if the Giants will send back Cunningham to his Junior team in Trail as not to sit out so much. Much like Kenton did last year? Maybe Bonner isn't done yet either. If Slade gets dealt for a forward then I'm sure that will happen.

Section_Z
01-09-2007, 09:03 PM
From ECHL.com

Wonder if they had time to print him a jersey?
So Long...Beach.

Rabbitt Leaves Ice Dogs, Returns To Juniors
January 9, 2007

LONG BEACH, Calif. - The Long Beach Ice Dogs announced that rookie center Wacey Rabbitt has elected to return to juniors to play for the Vancouver Giants of the Western Hockey League.

Selected in the fifth round (154th overall) by Boston in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft, the 20-year-old Rabbit was assigned Monday to Long Beach from Providence of the American Hockey League where he had three points (1g-2a) in 22 games.

The Ice Dogs are the ECHL affiliate of Providence of the AHL and Boston of the NHL.