PDA

View Full Version : Trade Deadline Thread

nivek_wahs
01-09-2007, 06:32 AM
With the trade deadline looming I thought I would start a thread dedicated to rumors/thoughts about the deadline (seems like most other teams are having similar threads :) ).

Does Parker stand "pat" or does he make more deals?

Are the Pats 'buyers' or 'sellers'?

Thoughts?

witness
01-09-2007, 09:22 AM
Here's a rummor that won't go away.
Pyett to Red Deer.

I think they have been offering draft picks, and Parker isn't interested in more draft picks.

Bran
01-09-2007, 01:23 PM
Here's a rummor that won't go away.
Pyett to Red Deer.

I think they have been offering draft picks, and Parker isn't interested in more draft picks.
I think I'd lose all respect for Parker if he gave Pyett up for draft picks. Especially at a time like this when the Pats need all the defence they can get. I'd hate to see a guy like Pyett go, period, but for draft picks??? I don't think Parker is that stupid.

Fight Guy
01-09-2007, 03:09 PM
If Pyett goes, then I will literally go down to Brandt Center, and slap
Parker! But lucky for him, Pyett wont be going anywhere. He's playing great and he is our top defenceman. Him, Schira, Ross, and Teubert are our defence for the next couple years and more. If he did anything more to mess with them, especially for picks, we would then be rebuilding for no good reason.

nivek_wahs
01-10-2007, 04:40 PM
http://saskatoonblades.com/home.php?f_action=news_detail&news_id=8835

Hulak Comes Home To Blades In Trade

Saskatoon, SK: The Saskatoon Blades announced this afternoon that they have acquired 17 year old left winger Derek Hulak and a 4th round draft pick in the 2007 WHL Bantam Draft from the Regina Pats in exchange for 18 year old forward Michael MacAngus, a 3rd and a 5th round 2007 WHL Bantam Draft Pick.

Hulak, who is a Saskatoon native is a former 6th round WHL Bantam Draft pick in 2004 and is currently in his rookie season. Through 19 games this season Hulak has registered 6 goals and 4 assists for 10 points to go along with 12 penalty minutes. In MacAngus, the Blades give up a 2nd year Blade who has registered 10 goals and 13 assists in 40 games to go along with 50 penalty minutes and was the team’s Most Gentlemanly player last season. General Manager and Head Coach Lorne Molleken commented on the transaction “ It is was very tough to part with a player like Michael MacAngus who in the past year and half has done everything we asked and worked extremely hard but in Derek we feel that we have obtained a player who possesses all sorts of skill and talent and who we feel will be an impact player for years to come. We would also wish to thank Michael for his contributions as a Saskatoon Blade and wish him the best of luck.”

Derek Hulak

September, 2, 1989

Saskatoon, SK

6’0, 178lbs

Year Team GP G A PTS PIM

06/07 Pats 19 6 4 10 12

05/06 Pats 1 0 0 0 0

The Blades next action sees the team travel to Moose Jaw, January 12th for a 7:00pm tilt with the Warriors before returning home to face those same Warriors Saturday January 13th at 7:05PM at Credit Union Centre for Faith Night. Faith Night will feature former Saskatoon Blade and Current Nashville Predator Darcy Hordichuk as he delivers his personal faith story via the Blades Vision Big Screens. In addition Poor Man’s Wealth will perform live and a members of the Saskatoon Blades will also be featured as party of the night. All youth groups may obtain a group rate for Saturday’s game by calling 975-8844. Single tickets are available from any Ticketmaster location, by calling 938-7800 or on-line at ticketmaster.ca.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-10-2007, 05:14 PM
Parker strikes again!

Dont like this trade, not one bit. Hulak is going to be a star in this league, and we traded him HALF WAY into his rookie year... to the god damn blades, who will also be a contending team for the next few seasons at least.

I did like what I saw from Macangus so far, but I dont think it was wise to sacrifice Hulak for a few extra wins for this season. I saw him in there with phenom rooks like Eberle and Teubert, but now I get to enjoy watching Hulak kick the crap out of us for the next 2-3 seasons to come.

He was great for us earlier in the season before the shoulder injury, its too bad to see him go.

Sabes
01-10-2007, 05:17 PM
Just read that you guys picked up Myles Stoesz for Brayden Metz

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-10-2007, 05:24 PM
It will be an interesting team to comeback to see on friday to say the least. Parker wasnt kidding when he said he wanted the team to get tougher.

Fight Guy
01-10-2007, 05:56 PM
I am happy with the Hulak trade. We lost a very good player that will only get better. He lit it up early in the season. And in return, we still get a good player...one who has been "turning it up" as of late. Hopefully that carries over to the Pats! Good trade in the end.

Didnt see this coming at all! Dont really remember Metz too well from when he played. I know he is skinny as of now and might get better, but I cant really remember. In return...MILES STOESZ!!! It sounds like he isnt the headcase he was last season or before, but i'm happy to see a heavy weight fighter come to the team. Dont know about his skills otherwise...lol. Nice surprise punk rock

Coyote14
01-10-2007, 06:33 PM
Stoesz had a sub-par season in Chilliwack. I think his best game was last night in which he had two fights. Don't expect him to do that well in fights... he is a heavyweight, but it doesn't mean he wins all of them. If the Pats put him on a good line, there is potential for him to pruduce on the score sheet. Otherwise, he will just be another third-liner that scores occasionally and tries to rack up the penalty minutes. Still, this looks like a good trade for Regina... Good luck, Myles!

Fight Guy
01-10-2007, 06:42 PM
And I dont expect him to win all his fights, but its the fights in general i want to see! Should definetly make things more interesting here.

nivek_wahs
01-10-2007, 06:59 PM
http://www.reginapats.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=750

PATS DEAL HULAK AND METZ

PATS ACQUIRE MacANGUS & STOESZ

Regina, Saskatchewan – With the WHL Trade Deadline looming, the Pats made a splash in the swapping frenzy, acquiring two veteran forwards. The Pats shipped 17-year old forward Derek Hulak to the Saskatoon Blades in exchange for 18-year old forward Michael MacAngus. In a separate deal, the Pats also sent 16-year old prospect Brayden Metz to the expansion Chilliwack Bruins in exchange for 19-year old forward Myles Stoesz.

MacAngus (6’0”, 188lbs), the native of Edmonton, AB, is currently in his 2nd season with the Saskatoon Blades. Through 40 games this season, he has collected 10 goals and 13 assists for 23 points. During his rookie campaign with the Blades last year, MacAngus chipped in with 5 goals and 10 assists in 55 games.

Hulak (6’0”, 178lbs), the native of Saskatoon, SK, is in his rookie season in the WHL. Through 19 games this season, Hulak had collected 6 goals and 4 assists. Near the end of October, Hulak suffered a separated shoulder, and the injury kept Hulak out of the line-up for a total of 21 games.

Stoesz (6’2”, 208lbs), originally from Steinbach, MB, is in his 4th season in the WHL. Stoesz was a member of the Spokane Chiefs for three years before joining the expansion Chilliwack Bruins this season. This year, Stoesz has collected 3 goals and 2 assists, to go along with 135 minutes in penalties in 40 games. Last year, Stoesz piled up an impressive 260 PIM’s in 56 games played with Spokane.

Metz (6’0”, 170lbs), the native of Regina, SK, is currently playing for the Regina Pat Canadians of the Saskatchewan Midget AAA Hockey League. Through his first 28 games this season, Metz has compiled 7 goals and 14 assists for 21 points, as well as 77 minutes in penalties. Metz had also suited up for 2 games with the Pats this season, accumulating 2 penalty minutes and an even plus minus rating.

In other news, the Regina Pats announced that they have assigned 19-year old forward Scott Brownlee to the Okotoks Oilers of the Alberta Junior Hockey League. Brownlee (5’11”, 186lbs), is originally from Unity, SK, and has been riddled with injuries this season. Brownlee suffered a broken hand in mid-November during a fight in Vancouver against ex-Pat Kyle Lamb. Brownlee returned from the hand injury, but was again sidelined after suffering a back injury last month during practice. Through 15 games this season, Brownlee had collected 1 goal and 3 assists, along with 65 penalty minutes.

Fight Guy
01-10-2007, 07:03 PM
I liked Brownlee. I wish he weren't 19 as I would have liked to him back next season.

Pats11
01-10-2007, 08:23 PM
I'm glad the Pats got tougher adding Stoesz but will he realistically be back next season as an overager being an enforcer? 20yr old spots are rarely used for players like him and I'd hate to see him just be a rental player for the last half of the season, maybe they'll surprise me and consistantly ice a tougher team from now. If so it's not a bad 1-2 punch of Stoesz/Elder to handle the heavies and guys like Reich, Lind, Leffler, Ofukany and Teubert to chip in when needed.....Pats suddenly became one of the toughest teams in the league.

Really sucks to see Brownlee go though, a Fuder clone who would take on anyone......I really miss seeing Fuder out there this year.

nivek_wahs
01-11-2007, 05:04 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=9e514f98-e485-4d15-95db-9955884113aa&k=52132

Pats add some experience

Greg Harder, Leader-Post
Published: Thursday, January 11, 2007

Regina Pats GM Brent Parker scored twice as the clock ticked down towards the WHL trade deadline, but he came away with a hat trick.

Parker accomplished three goals prior to Wednesday's trade freeze, adding size, toughness and experience to his lineup by acquiring gritty winger Michael MacAngus, 18, from the Saskatoon Blades and veteran enforcer Myles Stoesz, 19, from the Chilliwack Bruins.

Chilliwack gets 16-year-old prospect Brayden Metz, who's currently with the midget AAA Regina Pat Canadians. Regina also shipped 17-year-old forward Derek Hulak to the Blades along with a fourth-round pick in this year's bantam draft. The Pats get Saskatoon's third- and fifth-round picks in 2007.

"You're always looking to better your hockey club," explained Parker, who finalized the deals just prior to the 4 p.m. deadline. "We feel Michael gives us a little more size and a little more age-wise. Stoesz is a real character, hard-nosed guy, which we feel we need a little bit more of, especially with Josh Elder on the shelf. We needed to improve the physical aspect of our game."

The Pats learned on Wednesday that Elder, acquired Dec. 6 from the Prince Albert Raiders, will miss another 4-8 weeks due to a broken wrist suffered in just his third game with Regina.

The bad news increased Parker's urgency to replace the 6-foot-5, 214-pounder. He turned to Stoesz, a 6-foot-2, 208-pound winger who has racked up nearly 400 penalty minutes over the past two WHL campaigns.

In 40 games this season, he totalled three goals, two assists and 135 penalty minutes. In 2004-05 with the Spokane Chiefs, he had two assists and 260 penalty minutes in 56 games.

Headed to Chilliwack is Metz, a highly touted forward who hasn't lived up to the billing since he was selected in the second round of the 2005 bantam draft. After failing to crack the Pats' roster this season, he was sent down to the Pat Canadians, where he compiled just seven goals and 14 assists in 28 games.

MacAngus, a 6-foot-1, 190-pounder, has seen time on Saskatoon's top line this season, recording 10 goals and 23 points in 40 games. Regina paid a heavy price to get him, surrendering a 17-year-old rookie in Hulak who is viewed by the Pats as a future star. Regina elected to pursue a deal so the Saskatoon native could be with his ailing mother, who has cancer.

Hulak has played two of the Pats' last seven games so he could spend time at home.

"It's a difficult situation," said Parker. "I think a lot of Derek (as a person and a player) and in Michael MacAngus we're getting a real high-quality kid back too. It wasn't difficult (making the trade) in respect to giving Derek an opportunity to be closer to family with what he's going through right now. It took us some time to work towards it. You try to do what's best for everybody involved."

Parker spent the day on the phone and huddling with his staff in hopes of making subtle changes to a roster that has received a significant makeover this season.

The GM's two biggest trades were completed over a month ago, beginning with the deal that sent Ian Duval to the Calgary Hitmen for Mike Reich in a swap of 18-year-old forwards. Parker also swung a six-player deal with the Kelowna Rockets for forwards Troy Ofukany, Kirt Hill and Kaspars Saulietis. That same day, he picked up Elder from P.A. for Ryan McDonald.

"I didn't think we'd do that much (at the deadline) to be honest," added Parker, whose underachieving squad is tied for third in the East Division with a record of 17-21-1-3. "I like our hockey club. I've liked it all year. I don't think we've played as poorly as our record and I don't think our record is indicative of the type of talent we have here. Are we better (after these trades)? I think over the last month and a half we've addressed some deficiencies in our team and we believe we can compete with anybody."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

nivek_wahs
01-11-2007, 05:23 AM
I like the Stoesz for Metz deal... Metz was a true prospect but never seemed to have what it took to make it. In many ways he reminds me of Matt Sawa. With that being said... good luck in Chilliwack Brayden! :wave:

I'm looking forward to have a legit "heavyweight" in Stoesz... Hopefully he can fit in right away and not let our smallish forwards get physically pushed around all the time. Welcome to Regina Myles... Bring some warm clothes punk rock

I am all for the MacAngus/Hulak deal. Hulak is basically at home and I wish him and his family all the best. Good luck Derek with the Blades (just not against the Pats :thumb: ).

From seeing MacAngus the last couple of years I have really liked him and his gritty style of play. I liked the fact that he isn't afraid to get involved and is willing to take a hit to make a play. Welcome to Regina Michael! :clap:

nivek_wahs
01-11-2007, 05:55 AM
I did a quick count and I noticed that there are very few players remaining with the Pats that played in the playoffs last year. There has been a huge turnover of players this year.

Gone are: Reekie, Kalus, Robinson, Tolpeko, Bernhardt, Duval, Fuder, Sievert, Senseman, McDonald, Reinhart, Fauth, MacDonald and Brownlee (Hulak too).

Still here: Festerling, K. Ross, N. Ross, Pyett, Deck, Schira, Lind, Leffler and Rowat.

New Faces (Rookies): Teubert, Fraipont (kinda), Delahey, Snellman, Eberle and Jagow.

New Faces (Trades): Scott, Elder, Saulietis, Hill, Reich, Ofukany, Tartaglione, Stoesz and MacAngus.

Big-time difference.

I don't think I missed anyone...

Fight Guy
01-11-2007, 02:38 PM
Pats that played in the playoffs last year.
New Faces (Rookies): Teubert, Fraipont (kinda), Delahey, Snellman, Eberle and Jagow.
...didn't Teubert play with the Pats at the end of last season and playoffs? Just saying he should get a (kinda) too. ;) ...though he IS a rookie...lol

I was thinking the same thing last night. The Pats are pretty much a new team from the start of the year. A complete overhaul almost.

nivek_wahs
01-12-2007, 02:52 AM
...didn't Teubert play with the Pats at the end of last season and playoffs? Just saying he should get a (kinda) too. ;) ...though he IS a rookie...lol

I was thinking the same thing last night. The Pats are pretty much a new team from the start of the year. A complete overhaul almost.I agree so many new faces... 9 returning veteran players from last season! :spineyes:

nivek_wahs
01-12-2007, 02:54 AM
http://reginapats.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=751

MacAngus will weather trade to divisional foe

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Thursday, January 11, 2007

It was anything but a typical snow day for Michael MacAngus.

While most of his former Saskatoon Blades teammates were kicking back at home due to a storm that has paralysed most of the city, MacAngus was pacing the house wondering when he would be able to join his new team, the Regina Pats.

"I'd like to (leave), but it's still storming here," MacAngus said Wednesday night from Saskatoon. "I can't see the road from my house. (The Blades) were supposed to practise today at two (o'clock) but that was cancelled. Stores are closing and stuff because no one is even leaving their house. It's pretty brutal."

Weather permitting, MacAngus will make his debut in Friday's home-ice meeting with the Seattle Thunderbirds. The 18-year-old winger was acquired just prior to Wednesday's trade deadline in exchange for rookie forward Derek Hulak, 17, and a fourth-round bantam pick in 2007. The Pats also received a third- and a fifth-round pick from Saskatoon.

"I was shocked at first, didn't really know what to think," said MacAngus. "I've never been traded before so it's different ... but I'm starting to settle down a bit and realize what happened."

MacAngus expects a period of adjustment, especially since he's moving to an East Division foe.

"It'll be different," he said. "Obviously playing against them for a year and a half, you kind of learn who your rivals are. Now they're going to be my teammates."

MacAngus has high hopes for his new team, which is showing signs of coming around after a poor showing in the first half of the season. The Pats are looking to make a run in the second half and in the playoffs, whereas the Blades are scratching just to qualify for the postseason.

"Obviously you'd love to be part of a team that's trying to make a push to win rather than a rebuilding team," he said. "That's one of the positives that I looked at when I heard. The Pats are in the playoffs now and they do have a good team. I'd like to be a big part of that."

MacAngus describes himself as a "gritty" player who does his best work in the corners and in front of the net. He has also tasted some success of late while playing on Saskatoon's first line with Justin McCrae and Ryan Menei.

"I feel like I can (be an offensive player)," said the Edmonton native. "After Christmas I've been putting up quite a few points, so that has been going good for me. Hopefully I can contribute (in Regina) as well."

But first he has to get here.

"I'd like to get going as soon as I can and get to know the guys and the team," he added. "Once the roads get cleared and it's safe to travel I'll be heading out."
Sounds like he will be a welcomed addition to the Pats.

nivek_wahs
01-12-2007, 02:59 AM
http://chilliwackbruins.com/content/news/January11StoesztradedtoRegina.php

Stoesz traded to Regina

January 11th, 2007
Ken Henry - Vancouver Province

Myles Stoesz is stunned to be leaving the Chilliwack Bruins.

Brayden Metz couldn't be happier that he's arrived.

Stoesz, a 19-year-old enforcer, was shipped to the Regina Pats minutes before Wednesday's trade deadline in exchange for Metz, a 16-year-old centre whom the Pats chose 21st overall in the 2005 WHL bantam draft.

"We were eating our pregame meal and we were a little tense, then I looked at the clock and the deadline had passed. I started making jokes about it," said Stoesz, a seventh-round NHL draft pick who has five points and 135 penalty minutes in 40 games this season. "Then [Bruins coach Jim Hiller] tapped me on the shoulder ... I can't describe the feeling. I'm so disappointed."

Metz, on the other hand, is getting a new lease on life. The 6-foot, 170-pound speedster recently quit his triple-A midget team, the Regina Pat Canadians, for coaching reasons and was set to join another midget club.

Now, he's hoping to be a WHL regular.

"I think it's going to be great," said Metz, who had 21 points in 28 games with the Canadians. "I know Chilliwack is a new, growing team and on the verge of getting where they want to be."

While Stoesz and Metz were caught off guard by the deal, it shouldn't come as a surprise to Bruins followers. General manager Darrell May has been saying for weeks he'd trade a veteran if the right offer came along.

Metz, in May's eyes, fills that bill.

"We had Metz rated real high in that [2005 bantam] draft -- higher than he was actually picked," May said.

"You don't get the opportunity to get a good, young offensive player too often, so we're pretty pleased."I look forward to seeing him in a Pats uniform.

nivek_wahs
01-12-2007, 05:04 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=e05a121c-f9a0-45e2-8595-7a812cc3e19e&k=53540

Stoesz will keep opposition on its toes

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Friday, January 12, 2007

Myles Stoesz wants to give the Regina Pats a fighting chance.

The addition of the veteran enforcer, acquired Wednesday from the Chilliwack Bruins for prospect Brayden Metz, provides an element to Regina's lineup that the WHL club hasn't had since Shane Halifax rode shotgun early in 2005-06.

It's called intimidation.

"That's my job and I take pride in it," offered Stoesz, 19, who's hoping to make his Pats debut tonight against the visiting Seattle Thunderbirds. "I want to make sure guys on my team feel like they have that extra (room) to play and not worry about guys coming after them."

Stoesz, who wore an 'A' in Chilliwack, was selected by the Atlanta Thrashers in the seventh round of the 2005 NHL entry draft. The four-year WHL veteran has 766 penalty minutes in 206 career games with the Bruins and Spokane Chiefs.

"He's drafted to the next level and you can't get to the next level without being able to play as well," said Pats assistant captain Kyle Ross, adding that teams are "always aware" when the opposition has a player like Stoesz in the lineup. "From everything we've heard he's a good team guy too so I think it'll be nothing but a bonus for our club to have him in the lineup."

Stoesz recorded three goals, two assists and 135 penalty minutes in 40 games with Chilliwack this season. The 6-foot-2, 208-pound left winger also has 12 fighting majors to his credit, including three in his past two games.

"I can throw with the best of them," he said when asked to describe his attributes. "I'm not a liability defensively and I feel like I can contribute offensively too if given the opportunity."

That said, Stoesz also knows where his bread is buttered.

"I don't look for (fights) anymore but if it happens it happens, whatever I have to do to spark the team or stick up for a teammate," explained Stoesz, who admitted he doesn't get challenged as often as he once did. "People know who I am now. Some guys will definitely think twice before dropping 'em with me and there are other guys in this league who I just love to fight and we fight every time we play. It's just respect with tough guys I guess."

While it's generally accepted that pugilists have a lesser role in today's game, the Pats identified Stoesz because they believe he's more than a one-dimensional player.

"Are we taking the game back 20 years (by adding a fighter)? I don't think so," said Pats head coach Curtis Hunt. "This league is about 19- and 20-year-olds. We feel he can offer us something to help our younger guys. We're aware of his assets as a player. He can offer, not only some veteran leadership in the room, but he can offer some support on the ice as well. He can make other teams accountable for how they treat our players."

Stoesz was "shocked" by the trade to Regina, learning about the deal while the Bruins were travelling to Tri-City on Wednesday night. In fact, he and some other players had been joking that they were "in the clear" of the trade deadline when head coach Jim Hiller pulled Stoesz aside and gave him the news.

"It's a tough one," he said. "I like every guy on the team. It was tough to say good-bye but I wish them all the best. I understand this will probably be better for me in the future."

Stoesz said he has "heard good things about Regina" from Bruins defenceman Craig Lineker, an ex-Pat, as well as old pal Mike Reich, a former Chiefs teammate.

Stoesz is also looking forward to a reunion with the WHL playoffs, something that may not have happened with the expansion Bruins.

"From what I understand (the Pats) have been calling about me for a while so that means they want me," added Stoesz. "Hopefully I can be a big part of the team, help them go far in the playoffs. My first year in Spokane we got knocked out in the first round, we got swept by Everett. Then the last two years we didn't make the playoffs. Any time I can go to the playoffs, I'm looking forward to that."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007