PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit wanted to play for the Blades but...

Trav
01-09-2007, 01:00 PM
according to today's Star Phoenix but Boston and his agent wanted him to play for a contending team. As much as I like what the Blades got in return for him, I cant believe that his agent and Boston didnt respect his wishes. Just shows us what agents can be like. Oh well.

Shortys
01-09-2007, 01:06 PM
I hope it clears alot of questions and oppinions up. From what I got from it is that the Bruins would only release Rabbit to the WHL and Blades if the Blades traded him. As Trav said, it does sound weird that The Bruins club would not let Rabbit himself decide where he wanted to play. Kind of long reading, but explains things well.

Rabbit dealt to Giants
Former Blades' captain expressed interest in returning to Saskatoon

Cory Wolfe
The StarPhoenix

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Popular centre Wacey Rabbit is returning to the Western Hockey League, but not as a member of the Saskatoon Blades.

Blades coach-GM Lorne Molleken dealt the rights of his former captain to the Vancouver Giants on Monday after Rabbit was reassigned to junior hockey by the Boston Bruins' top farm club in Providence, R.I.

In return, the rebuilding Blades get 18-year-old Kenton Dulle, a product of Craik, plus a second-round bantam pick in 2008.

Rabbit, 20, adds further bite to the Giants, host team for the Memorial Cup tournament. Before Christmas, Vancouver acquired sniper Kenndal McArdle from the Moose Jaw Warriors.

"I talked to (Rabbit's) agent and they didn't want him to come back here because of our situation," said Molleken, whose team sits three points out of a playoff spot.

"They thought that if they sent him to a contending team -- Everett, Calgary, Vancouver or wherever it might be -- then they would consider it. I tried to change their minds, hoping that we could get him back here, but I couldn't." Rabbit could not be reached for comment Monday.

He is represented by IMG's J.P. Barry and Pat Brisson.

The same agency represents the likes of Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin.

Rabbit signed with the Boston Bruins in September and was assigned to their American Hockey League affi liate. He managed just a goal and two assists in 22 games with Providence.

Molleken said that Rabbit called him Sunday and expressed interest in returning to Saskatoon. When it became clear that Rabbit's agency had other ideas, Molleken started shopping the two-way talent, who has 186 points -- including 80 goals -- in 259 WHL games.

"He's an asset and at the start of the year, we wouldn't have gotten what we got for him," said Molleken.

Dulle, a WHL sophomore, posted a goal and six assists in 43 career games with Vancouver. Those statistics don't exactly sparkle, but Molleken was giddy in discussing Dulle's potential.

"He's a kid who could score at the bantam level and in midget AAA (with the Regina Pat Canadians). He can play on your fi rst, second, third or fourth line. He can play centre or right wing and he's coming from a program where they're used to winning." Dulle is expected to make his Blade debut Friday in Moose Jaw.

"Vancouver has always had those really good teams where he hasn't really gotten that opportunity, but he's learned how to play the game and he knows what it takes to succeed. We're counting on that." Furthermore, Molleken gets another high draft pick as he aims to build a championship team. For the 2008 bantam draft, the Blades now have two picks in the fi rst round and two in the second round.

Molleken might well tweak his squad with a few roster moves before Wednesday's WHL trade deadline.

However, any moves aren't likely to rival last season's shakeup when he brought in seven new players through four deals.

"The phones are pretty active and we're listening more than anything," said Molleken. "We're not going to mess with our chemistry because we've made a decision that we want to build from within." Molleken said several GMs have inquired about defenceman Brad Cole. However, Molleken isn't likely to part with his captain, a key leader on a young team.

"We've put ourselves in position to make the playoffs and playoff experience is invaluable," said Molleken.

"Achieving that would pay big dividends for our younger players down the road."

BLADE BITS: LW Garrett Klotz has been suspended one game for his actions following a fi ght Saturday against Prince Albert. D Bohdan Visnak (shoulder) and LW Rastislav Konecny (broken jaw) will also miss tonight's game against Seattle. Konecny could miss four to eight weeks. He was injured last Friday after a collision with Brandon D Chad Erb.

cwolfe@sp.canwest.com

Shortys
01-09-2007, 01:10 PM
Sorry, my last post did not show up as new......... Hope this worked.

Blades 4 Life!
01-09-2007, 01:30 PM
ya i'm surprised that the Bruins even cared what team he went to. you would think that if he came back to play for the Blades that he knew alot of the players and more cemistry and would produce more points. Now with him going to the Gaints, he has to adapted to the surrounding and the players but he might adapt quicker then anyone expected. Good luck to Rabbit with the Giants and his future NHL career. applause