PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on how to draw in new fans.

smackitsakic
02-24-2005, 11:50 AM
Alright alright alright, after spending a half hour last night typing all of my ideas and the post not working, i'm still kinda bitter that i have to start all over again so i hope everybody reads this and makes it worth my time. I won't be able to attend the next meeting for the fans and their ideas so this is the best chance i have for my voice to be heard. If any of you like what i have to say then feel free to use my ideas at the meeting, or even print this off and read my words directly.
I've been a Bronco fan for as long as i can remember, since i was a kid. I've been to many different arenas (Med Hat, Saskatoon, Regina, Moose Jaw, PA, Edmonton), most of which were within the past few years. Also, i've taken a four month marketing course so i hopefully have a clue about what i'm saying, and should have some validity behind this post.
First things first - it's time to write off this season. There is no point in trying to attract new fans to see a dismal product in a horrible environment. Let's wait till next year when the team is a bit more exciting and, hopefully, the fans are more into it.
I have a question. Why is everybody in the CCC so afraid to make noise? It doesn't help that the average age in the arena is probably pushing 50, but i think there is an even bigger reason. Swift is a terribly small community, and everybody in Swift knows everybody in Swift. Perhaps a few of us are too worried about letting ourselves go and make a bunch of noise. Perhaps if we were to be a little bit roudy and noisy in the stands at Wednesday night Bronco games, it would blemish our perfect business image at work on Thursday.
Alright, so what does almost every Swift fan feel is the best time of the year? Playoff hockey. Why is playoff hockey so much better? Well, it's quite obvious. The entire community it behind the team and everybody is rocking the house down. Have some of us as fans lost our passion for Bronco hockey during the regular season and go b/c we have already bought our season tickets and are obligated to support our team? Why is it so much different come playoffs? Well, lets be honest here. The place goes from you being afraid to cheer, to you being afraid not to cheer. When nobody around you is willing to cheer, you don't want to either, but when the opposite occurs, you almost have to cheer or else you feel completely out of place. The key might be to get everybody in sync. Isn't Bronco hockey way better when you look forward to the game all day, and can't wait to go. Isn't Bronco hockey way better when you can't even fall asleep right after the game b/c you are still pumped from how electric the CCC was that night, win or loss? You want to be at the games in Spring, and not even just for the Broncos, but for the atmosphere itself. So how do we get that during the entire season? Not easily.
I hope that management realizes that if you want the place to be rocking every night, it isn't something that is going to come for free; you're going to have to spend money to get what you want. I believe that in order to have an electric building you need to start early, before the puck even hits the ice. Regina skates onto the ice underneath an inflated dog and skates around on ice that is smoking. Moose Jaw skates onto the ice in a pitch black arena with 2 strobe lights providing a neat visual effect. Anybody know how cheap dry ice is? Anybody know how cheap 2 strobe lights are? Anybody know how much of an impact this can have on the atmosphere of the building? This would be a great start. Also, hey, here is an idea, lets try turning the volume down a bit - i'm kidding. Perhaps it would help if we pushed the volume dial passed the first notch? Has anybody ever heard any type of bass in that arena? I mean come on, how do you get into the game when you can't even hear the music? Why are we letting the young market slip away b/c a select few seniors, who actually have the time during the day to complain, ruin the experience for everybody? Ear plugs are alot cheaper than hearing aids. And here is an idea, lets update the playlist a little bit. Yes there are some classic songs that need to be kept, but lets get a little more modern with our songs. Also, we need to give Kim Johnson a little more room to let loose up there in the PA box. We've got a PA guy who (i'm assuming) has a broadcasting degree, why are we not letting him have some fun? He knows how to entertain a crowd, lets let him.
Everybody is complaining about how loud and obnoxious the Freightliner horns are; are you kidding me? How about adding a few more? That is what we should be talking about. The Oilers have one of the loudest horns i've ever heard, and you cant even hear it when you're there and when they score b/c the fans are even louder. It is awesome! Why are we not allowed to have noise makers? Where are the clappers? Where are the cowbells? Where are the air horns? Why not? It would be nice for once to be able to cheer as loud as your body will allow you at a Bronco game, and still not be as loud as the person that is next to you. Allowing noise makers is a good start here.
Ever watch the Vancouver Canucks in the 02/03 playoffs? Did you happen to notice how electric GM place got when there were 17,000 fans on their seats waving 17,000 towels in sync to U2 pumping throughout the arena? We've done the towel thing before come playoff time, but that's the problem, it was only during playoffs. Why do we not do this the first game of the year and encourage fans to always bring them? Heck, get 5,000 towels done up, they're not that expensive - i'm sure somebody in the city would be more than willing to pay to have their logo on 5,000 towels in peoples homes! Also, these things have to be marketed hard to work. You need to remind people on the radio to leave the towels in their cars - You need to remind people at every game to bring them with them to the next home game. The Broncos and the Eagle are "partners" - Start using this to be more advantageous.
Ever watch the Coyotes come playoff time and notice how electric the "white-out" is? Again, we've tried this come playoff time but how well was it marketed? Who in here doesn't have a white shirt that they would be willing to wear? Everybody has a white shirt. Offer some type of promotion if fans wear one - a free popcorn should do the trick for most. So now for next to nothing, we've got 2,000 fans all dressed in white, all with white towels to wave, and many with noise makers.
Here is another idea. Ever watch an Oakland Raiders game and notice how intimidating the "black hole" is? The black hole is a section of about 100 fans that are absolutely crazy for Raider football. They dress up to the max and cheer, and cheer, and cheer. It is absolutely amazing. How about the same concept in Swift? Heck, the fans at the top of Section A already give us a bit of a start. Something like this can really energize the rest of the fans. How do you do it? It's simple. Get people to apply. Try to get four or five groups of five or six friends - a total of 30 people or so. Offer these guys an offer they can't refuse. Come in, buy a Bronco jersey, and get free seasons tickets. What? Did i just say free? Who in their right mind would turn down a chance for a jersey, seasons tickets, and a chance to sit in the best section in the arena for $150? Nobody. Encourage these guys to be loud, encourage them to bring as many noise makers as they can, encourage them to bring signs, and encourage them to go with no shirts. If they all know each other and don't care about what others think of them making noise, they are going to be awesome entertainment. If there are 30 people already making a ton of noise, everybody around them is going to join in...You're not losing any money, in fact you're selling jerseys which have a good markup to them anyway. You're losing access to 30 seats that would be empty anyway, and you're creating some noise and something for the rest of the fans to build off of.
This post isn't as long as my other one, but please reply and let me now what you think of some of this stuff. Desperate times call for desperate measures, and we're going to have to take a chance and spend some money to make some money.

Willis on the Welfare
02-24-2005, 02:33 PM
Hey Smackit I like your post. The Black Hole idea would be awesome. I think we should turn section A into the "Blue Crew" or the "Blue Zone". Towels would be great as well. You're a smart guy and should work for the Broncos marketing dept. (if they could afford you ;) )

I have to disagree with the thought of abandoning this year. We're not going to make the playoffs, but our boys aren't going to quit on the ice, why should we quit in the stands? We as fans need to end the season on a high note. Let's make the last few games so much ****ing fun that everyone renews their season ticket asap and new buyers are lined up as soon as they go on sale.

A real fan doesn't quit supporting the team. A real fan doesn't take a break from being passionate.

So we won't make the playoffs, this year is NOT a write off. This franchise has seen players die, and they've kept on going. Missing the playoffs is nothing.

Willi$

smackitsakic
02-24-2005, 04:49 PM
The season is not a write off in terms of fan support, that is not how i intended that. I mean that this season should be a write off for attracting new fans and putting out huge promotional stunts. It's like trying to sell tickets to watch amateurs play at Chinook with the PGA tour players coming the next weekend; it's just not going to work. It's like having to sell the 2004 Mustangs when the 2005's were coming out the next month. Get my drift?
What does everybody else think of the post? There are lots of fans that read this, not necessarily Bronco fans either.

ointhecreek
02-24-2005, 05:07 PM
Some pretty good ideas smackit,you should forward your ideas to the Bronco office. I remember back when the broncos first started we use to run around the rink with a big broncos banner everytime the broncos scored and somtimes just to pump up the crowd. Never see any banners anymore, let alone running around with them. Let some kids in free if they do this. Encourage the kids and reward them instead of tying them down. I also really think we need a new PR person. I don't know who the present one is but he/she isn't doing a very good job. Let's get something goin here people! We need to get pumped for BRONCO HOCKEY AGAIN! The place use to be loud and proud, and I'm sure it can again. LET'S ROCK!!!! :groovy: :clap:

bronco rep
02-24-2005, 07:01 PM
A very great post smackit. If i was you i would forward your post to brad or garrett at the bronco office i am sure they will pass your ideas off to dean.I loved willis idea of the blue zone.Hey boys with the way things are going on here we will get the cc rockin again.GO BRONCOS GO

Flathead
02-25-2005, 01:05 PM
we need more fans like the few atop of section A, and a few atop section B, everyone at the games goes because they like hockey, why not show it with a little emotion. :clap: :groovy: :bounce: :thumb: