PDA

View Full Version : Giants Acquire A.J. Thelen

Kassian
01-10-2007, 04:14 PM
For Nathan Deck and John Flatters.

According to the Prince Albert Raiders website.

Beaner
01-10-2007, 04:18 PM
Wow another big trade.

Leaves the question though as to what are they doing about the 20 year old situation.

Lamb, Rabbit Festerling and now Thelan.

Have to think that Lamb is on the move.

Dwight Schrute
01-10-2007, 04:21 PM
can anyone tell us about flatters and deck ?

Kassian
01-10-2007, 04:21 PM
Definitely. We know Rabbit and Festerling aren't going to be traded so Lamb has to be the odd man out.

Beaner
01-10-2007, 04:25 PM
can anyone tell us about flatters and deck ?

Deck is a good young prospect, but was beat out this year for playing time by Toigo and Regner. Potential Top 4 D-man.

I like Flatters, seemed to be a great team guy, but realistically he is 5-6 dman. Not tough enough to be a heavyweight, and lacks the footspeed in this new game.

Hunt24
01-10-2007, 04:27 PM
The Giants acquired 19 year-old left winger MICHAEL WUCHTERL from the Lethbridge Hurricanes in exchange for 20 year-old right winger KYLE LAMB.

Swando
01-10-2007, 04:29 PM
Unless they trade Thelan it looks like Kyle Lamb has to be the most likely option. He has been a disappointment offensively but with Machachek and himself they were great penalty killers. I can see him going to the Bruins for a very late round draft pick. Flatters had to go but Deck I think will come back to bite us...but you have to give up something to get something.

Section_Z
01-10-2007, 04:45 PM
That is one rockin' group of Dmen....
And Festerling is the last 20 year standing...solid as ever.
WHL was ready for this one...Rosters have already changed on the InterWeb.

byrdman25
01-10-2007, 06:11 PM
Nice pickup. This way we should have to suffer through Toigo alot less! It also gives us 3 good pairings
Franson Blum - Hay seems to like this combo
Festerling Thelen - both can defend and score
Mikkleson Regner - pedigrees to burn, both can score and skate
these give us good balance and 3 soring lines. Personally I'd like to see Franson and Mikkleson pair up and work together to create the top line, as scorers, but this will take time to develop chemistry.

Hunt24
01-10-2007, 07:34 PM
If I'm not mistaken Blum and Franson only play together on the powerplay. Franson has had two main partners this year, Flatters and Mikkelson.

Blum has played mostly with Festerling, which is a pair I'd rather not see broken up.

Franson and Thelen might not be a bad combo, we'll have to see how it plays out. It might all depend on who they want to play with Regner.

Raiderfan8
01-10-2007, 07:44 PM
Thelen can quarter back a good power play!

byrdman25
01-10-2007, 10:37 PM
Yes, you are right about the 5 on 5 pairings, I'm so used to penalties and thus that pairing, especially if Herman holds a whistle. From what I've read Franson with Thelen could be destructive. I'm hoping for anything to get Mikkleson going with some consistency, his bursts have looked fantastic. We look great on paper right now, Hay just needs to fold them in, a job he does well. And the Crowley for Doyle trade seems to make Sex's job easier.
GO GIANTS

dondo
01-10-2007, 10:41 PM
This is fantastic news. I can't help but wonder if the Wild were pulling a few strings in this deal. We now have five d-man capable of playing as top two. hopefully there isn't any friction in the dressing room. Thelen has all the skills and is touted to be potentially an top NHL defenseman. Welcome to the team AJ.

Not really surprised to see Lamb traded, as he was nowhere near as effective this season as he was last season. I expected Lamb to really come out gunning and he's been hot and cold and taking shifts off. Don't really like to see either Lamb or Flatters go, but that's the game and I really did not lose any of my favorites and what we got in return was simply amazing.

Don't know anything about Wuchterl --he's rumoured to be a Garet Hunt kind of player but with more offensive skills, but we'll have to wait and see.

Good dealing Bonner, it certainly helps we are hosting the Memorial Cup, but what the hell, that's what you do when you are in that position, this is going to be fun. :bounce: nhl :groovy:

Zookeeper
01-10-2007, 11:15 PM
you guys will love thelen. He is a horse who played every second shift with us. Can do it all penalty kill is very dependable in his own end and has a cannon of a shot. I couldnt think of a better fit for him.. good luck A.J

I agree with you 110%. AJ has one hell of a shot and accurate too. Great on PP, PK and in his own end.

dondo
01-11-2007, 12:44 AM
I don't know if Franson can play with Thelen

I mean we have FesterBlum which is a good mix - flows nicely

and FranShelen? (just doesn't work) - kinda awkward :p

Hunt24
01-11-2007, 12:56 AM
Any second now Carebear's going to be here posting more about

Cunninghunt.

Ugh.

What about FranLen?

dondo
01-11-2007, 12:59 AM
well now that works-- now you ruined the joke .. such as it was.. :thumb:

Carebear
01-11-2007, 01:05 AM
It was only Cunninghunt because they're so similar and at the preseason tourny when I wasnt watching close enough I'd think Cunningham WAS Hunt.

geeeeez

:laugh:

That being said, Franlen does have a nice ring to it!

dondo
01-11-2007, 01:43 AM
FranLen it is -- now we just need to get Hayzer on board.

Dwight Schrute
01-19-2007, 07:43 PM
so a few games in how has AJ looked ?

Beaner
01-19-2007, 09:08 PM
so a few games in how has AJ looked ?

Havent had a home game yet since the trade deadline, how about maybe an update after Tuesdays game.

:)

Kassian
01-20-2007, 01:44 AM
Thelen looked better tonight. He had a few shots on goal from the point and you could easily tell why his shot gets so much hype. It'll still take a little while for everyone to get on the same page. I'm hoping after this weekend we'll start seeing a bit more out of him as he gets more comfortable with his role and his defensive partner.

Knuckles Muldoon
01-20-2007, 02:28 PM
He hasn't showed me anything. Has he even arrived in Vancouver yet?

N.W. Bruin
01-20-2007, 02:50 PM
That has to tell you something. Still I am more comfortable with him back on the blueline instead of Flatters.

Redwic
01-20-2007, 03:22 PM
I was at the game last night, and of all of the new guys (for either team) I thought that Thelen was the most invisible. He played a lot last night, but he really didn't do much to impact the game.

Rabbit controlled much of the offense for the Giants, and I thought that he even deserved one of the Stars of the Game. Wuchterl got physical with several players. McArdle tried using his muscle every chance he got.

I was stunned that Franson and Festerling were so invisible, as well, especially during power plays and penalty kills. For the Giants, it just seemed like I was watching the McArdle-Rabbit show, with occasional help from Lucic. It wasn't like I was watching the Giants, a cohesive unit.