PDA

View Full Version : No Major deals at Deadline, Rebels Reassign Mappin

Shinyshoes
01-10-2007, 04:53 PM
The Rebels Have Re-assigned Mappin the the Optimist Rebels, and no other moves made

From www.reddeerrebels.com (http://www.reddeerrebels.com):

Brent Sutter met with members of the local media outside the Rebels dressing room Wednesday (left) to announce that there were no major deals made from the Red Deer Rebels.
Sutter and the team arrived back in Red Deer early Wednesday morning driving through terrible weather conditions from Cranbrook, B.C. after losing 1-0 to the Kootnay Ice.

The Red Deer Rebels announced Wednesday they have reassigned 16 year old forward Cass Mappin to the Red Deer Optimist Rebels of the Alberta Midget Hockey League. Mappin played 23 games this season scoring 1 goal.

The Western Hockey League's trade deadline passed Wednesday at 3pm local time with a variety of trades and player aquistions across the league. For complete details on the rest of the Western Hockey Leagues moves visit www.whl.ca (http://www.whl.ca/)

SectionNDeserter
01-10-2007, 05:10 PM
I guess the asking price for any of the players he was looking at were too high, or he just decided to roll the dice with what he has. Will be an interesting and entertaining stretch run, though I think we are going to be in tough to make the playoffs. I hope that he at least moves Egener and Lynch to the 6 and 7 defenseman position, and gives the young guys tons of ice time, as I don't think either of them will be back next year.

superfan
01-10-2007, 07:52 PM
why would he want any more good players as it might take some ice from the sutter boys yeehoo

SectionNDeserter
01-10-2007, 08:06 PM
The Sutter boys have been consistently outplaying everyone on the team except Hanzal, and Reimer and Moore on some nights, all season long, why would he? Both Moore and Vandermeer have played well with them, so there isn't really any reason to make a deal to upgrade there. I think that the only two feasible acquisitions could have been Thelan or Crowley, and I don't know if Sutter would be willing to give up as much as Vancouver and Everett did for them.

I think that with the trade deadline out of the way, a few of the players that were under the gun won't be squeezing their sticks so hard, and we will see a better performance from them tommorow night.

hockey4
01-10-2007, 08:43 PM
i dont see us having huge issues making playoffs. Were definetly a better team then in november. We were missing our best player and still managed to be over .500. We have a schedule that favors us for the rest of the season, 7 more home games than road games. Teams like lethbridge also got no better at the deadline (maybe worse losing wuchterl and werenka for only lamb) plus they play something like 18 of their last 20 on the road. Calgary also got worse, as they picked up a derian hatcher and mercer, and gave up some scoring in the process.

SectionNDeserter
01-10-2007, 09:00 PM
Teams like lethbridge also got no better at the deadline (maybe worse losing wuchterl and werenka for only lamb) plus they play something like 18 of their last 20 on the road.Also they picked up somewhat of a liability in Knudsen, though Lamb's penalty killing might offset that a little.

Calgary also got worse, as they picked up a derian hatcher and mercer, and gave up some scoring in the process.I agree, I think the Calgary trades were terrible. I was an admirer of Hengen's talents whenever they played here, and was shocked that they replaced him with Mercer/Giantslowguywith3points(his name escapes me). I thought it was some sort of a deal to dump an extra player that will be overage next year and not fit in their plans, but Mercer and the other guy are both 19. :confused:

So the bad news is, the trade deadline passes and we are no different, but the good news is nobody in our division really made any great strides either.