PDA

View Full Version : Matsuoka selected for IIHF World's

Tipped Off
02-24-2005, 05:52 PM
From www.whl.ca

When the puck drops for the 2005 IIHF Men's World Hockey Championship in Austria at the end of April, the Western Hockey League will be well represented…not just with former players, but officials as well.

Referee Rob Matsuoka, who has officiated more than 450 WHL games, will join WHL linesman Dean Laschowski as members of the officiating team handling the two-week tournament.

Matsuoka, who hails from Calgary, AB, will be making his second trip to the World Championship, having previously refereed at the 2003 event, where he oversaw the Bronze medal game.

Matsuoka, a veteran of seven seasons officiating in the WHL, has already built an impressive officiating resume, having refereed two Memorial Cups (2001 and 2002), the 2001 World U-18 Championship, and the 2003 World Junior Hockey Championship.

Rob Matsuoka's Perspective

On the opportunity to officiate at the World Championship…
"I'm very excited to be able to go over and work a major tournament like this. It's definitely a feather in the cap. At the amateur level, this is a good (event) to be shoot for, and I'm very happy to be a part of it."

On officiating in the Western Hockey League…
"The best thing is that it's a great brand of hockey. When you get the opportunity to ref in pro leagues, you can see lots of players who came from the WHL, so there's obviously a really good product there. I enjoy working WHL games and dealing with a lot of top-notch kids."

On having a thick skin as an official…
"When you start officiating, you have to realize that you are going to take some abuse because every time you blow the whistle, fifty per cent of the people on the ice, not to mention the building, are going to be ticked off. (Criticism) is something that you can't let bother you."

On one of the most memorable games he officiated…
"The 2001 Memorial Cup semi-finals in Regina was a game I'll always remember because it went to overtime with the Regina trying to knock off (Val D'or) in front of the home crowd. It was just a really good hockey game with the atmosphere and the crowd."

allkiller
02-24-2005, 07:50 PM
He's the best ref I've seen in the league, and the players agree with that too, hopefully he stays put in the WHL for a few more years!!!

ihlemic10
02-24-2005, 08:17 PM
IMO he makes too many "Home Team" calls. I personally don't like him.

Van
02-26-2005, 10:24 PM
He's the best ref I've seen in the league, and the players agree with that too, hopefully he stays put in the WHL for a few more years!!!

Barring him retiring, he will likely be in the league for at least a few more years. Apparently he's to old to get the call for the NHL (when it comes back).