PDA

View Full Version : Deadline deals?

Beaner
01-10-2007, 10:19 PM
So whats everyones opinion of the deals made at the deadline?

Myself I'm pretty happy.

Addressed our needs at center, and on the D, and all without selling any of our top prospects, and not too much of the future.

I'd have to give the Giants brass an A for the deals done at the deadline.

Kassian
01-10-2007, 10:21 PM
I am pretty satisfied with the trades. I don't like that the team didn't address the issue of not having much toughness on defense. But all in all it's hard to complain. If you really look at these trades on paper we won pretty easily.

We replace Lamb, Dulle and Flatters with Rabbit, Wuchterl and Thelen. Quite lopsided really...

Beaner
01-10-2007, 10:27 PM
I am pretty satisfied with the trades. I don't like that the team didn't address the issue of not having much toughness on defense. But all in all it's hard to complain. If you really look at these trades on paper we won pretty easily.

We replace Lamb, Dulle and Flatters with Rabbit, Wuchterl and Thelen. Quite lopsided really...

I think Thelen can address some of our needs in the toughness department on the D. Maybe not in the pure fisticuffs department, but his 6'3" 212lbs frame should be able to punish more than a few forwards along the boards. :)

As to winning its hard to judge till we see what becomes of Deck and the 2 2nd rounders. But as of right now, I would agree we win hands down.

Kassian
01-10-2007, 10:38 PM
I think Thelen can address some of our needs in the toughness department on the D. Maybe not in the pure fisticuffs department, but his 6'3" 212lbs frame should be able to punish more than a few forwards along the boards. :)

Yes he will play physical but I wanted more of a banger back there. A nasty stay at home guy that would also be able to help out guys like Lucic and Hunt in the fighting department. It isn't fair to leave all of that up to them. Especially if Hay wants Lucic to play more minutes.

As to winning its hard to judge till we see what becomes of Deck and the 2 2nd rounders. But as of right now, I would agree we win hands down.

Well yeah but I'm talking about right now. Deck wasn't on the roster therefore losing him isn't going to hurt the team in the present. Either way it's still an upgrade, IMO.

byrdman25
01-10-2007, 10:48 PM
definitely an upgrade in the past few days. We are faster, more explosive offensively, a little grittier, and bigger on the back end. The negatives, I'd have liked to see a goalie upgrade and some toughness added. On that note look for JD to step up in that area as he won't be needed to try and stay on the ice to score, so hopefully he fights like after we traded Kassy. oh ya we also have repik, he has shown he'll stand up for a guy... haha had to throw in some humor. by his pim and some of the talk about him wutherl will fight.
GO GIANTS GO

dondo
01-10-2007, 10:56 PM

toughness on D? Fester and 6'5" Franson and 6'3" Mikkelson, Blum and Regner are both 6' and not that big, but with the addition of Thelen (6'3" 212) we gain skill and physicality. I really don't see our D getting pushed around.

Great deals imo -- didn't lose potential franchise players, and didn't lose our current crop of 16's who are growing well with the team. A shame to lose Deck, but really we didn't give up much of our future and we got two top level players, and an above average grinder. I think Bonner walked the line very well.

Kassian
01-10-2007, 11:15 PM
toughness on D? Fester and 6'5" Franson and 6'3" Mikkelson, Blum and Regner are both 6' and not that big, but with the addition of Thelen (6'3" 212) we gain skill and physicality. I really don't see our D getting pushed around.

None of our defenseman are "tough" so to speak. And Franson and Mikkelson certainly don't play like they are over 6 feet tall. I'm not just talking about hitting and all around physical play. I'm talking about fighting and being physical/nasty in front of the net. None of our current defenseman do any of that. Flatters was the closest thing and now he's gone.

Zookeeper
01-10-2007, 11:24 PM

You won't see AJ drop his mitts unless he really has to...

Knuckles Muldoon
01-11-2007, 12:23 AM
Bones did a good job. The acquisition of Rabbit was some pretty good horse-trading. He found a way to jump in there and get it done. Thelen really solidifies the D. Clearly Bones decided that if they are going with Sexy, then they needed to put the best defence 1 through 6 in front of him. I'm taking a wait-and-see on Wuchterl.
As for the losses, Flatters isn't a big deal to me. A good guy, but a liability with the puck and mobility-wise. Deck is a guy who I'm not sure was going to be a key guy down the road largely due to his size. Time will tell what kind of a Dman in this league. The really unfortunate part of the trades is for Lamb. It's a huge kick in the gut. Seems like a terrific kid. Awful turn of events for him. You'd have to be a heartless communist to not feel for him. He did a good job for the Giants over the years. Getting dumped close to the finish line leaves me feeling kind of cold.
As for Watt, I felt there was no chance of him going anywhere today. Yes, he is the underachiever once again, but he's also a guy you don't want to have to face in the playoffs. The ball is in JD's court. The management has shown confidence in him one last time. It's time for him to do his job properly every night.

dondo
01-11-2007, 12:36 AM
agreed on the JD front -- if he doesn't work he doesn't get decent ice-time if he works he gets a chance to play with some really top quality players. Our offensive depth won't allow him to dog it and still get good ice.

The choice is up to you JD, float and pout and see five-minutes of ice and no special teams. Work hard every shift and you could find yourself with some decent ice-time and great line-mates. Maybe a few dozen shifts with Hunt and Czibere will get him skating.

Section_Z
01-11-2007, 10:31 AM
I thought it was a good job. Solidifying the D was top notch. Staying with the Goalie pairing should hopefully instill some real confidence in them...to the tune of... "Look here, Sexy, you may be young but you have the best 6 in the league in front of you to take us all the way..."
I too hate to see Lamb go, but as stated in the Lamb trade thread, I think that the Giant hand was forced to move him, as the Rabbit hopped into the line up.
Never liked Dulle's play, hopefully he gets more ice time/games somewhere else to expand his game. Same goes for Flatters, solid D man, not fast enough.