PDA

View Full Version : Game 40 Winterhawks

Tipped Off
01-12-2007, 11:30 AM
Mueller, Irving return to Everett
Having returned from the World Junior tourney, it's uncertain whether either player will play tonight.

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

EVERETT - The Everett Silvertips' conquering heroes were back on the ice at the Everett Events Center on Thursday.

Peter Mueller and Leland Irving were back at practice for the first time since returning from the World Junior Hockey Championships in Sweden, and both returned with shiny new baubles for their trophy cases.

Irving won a gold medal as a member of Team Canada, serving as the team's backup goaltender. Mueller earned a bronze medal as a key offensive player for Team USA. And both returned with a wealth of valuable experience and treasured memories.

"It's a great experience just going over there," Irving said. "To be able to represent your country like that is a great honor, and it was just a lot of fun to share that experience with the group of guys we had over there."

Said Mueller: "It's amazing that we brought back a medal for the States. It was a little bit of a scare the first two games, but we bounced back great and I couldn't be happier."

For Mueller, this year's experience at the World Juniors was far better than last year's. Last year the U.S. was the pre-tournament favorite, only to finish a disappointing fourth and fail to medal. This year the U.S. went in with less fanfare, but appeared to be on a similar path when it lost its first two round-robin games, the shocker being a 2-1 overtime loss to unheralded Germany.

"I think the boys were a little bit jumpy, a little bit nervous," Mueller said. "It happens when you go overseas to a big tournament."

However, the Americans fought their way into the medal round by winning their final two round-robin games, the final one a thrilling do-or-die 3-2 overtime win over host Sweden.

The U.S. won its quarterfinal game against Finland to set up a memorable semifinal game against Canada. The Canadians beat the Americans 6-3 during the group stage, but the U.S. led the semifinal until late in the third period when Canada tied it.

After a thrilling but scoreless overtime, the game went into a shootout. Both teams scored at will during the shootout, with Mueller converting on America's second and fifth shots. Then in the seventh round Canada's Jonathan Toews converted his third straight shot and Mueller was finally denied by Tri-City goaltender Carey Price, giving Canada the victory.

"It was a little nerve-wracking," Mueller said of the shootout, which allowed teams to reuse their shooters following three shots. "It was pretty hard, especially when you're going against another Dub (WHL) player who knows all your moves. He got me the third time."

The U.S. snapped back in the third-place game, beating Sweden 2-1 to earn the medal that eluded the Americans the previous year.

"We were one of the teams that actually got it done, I think the fifth team over 25 years to get 'er done," Mueller said. "It was important to the guys on the team to finally get their names on a medal."

Mueller logged heavy ice time during the tournament and manned the point on the power play. He finished with three goals and three assists in seven games.

"The first two games I was pretty ragged," Mueller said. "I couldn't find my hands, I couldn't really find anything. But after that it settled down. I was like, 'Hey, I'm here for a reason and they want me to do my thing.' So I did that the last couple games and it all worked out well."

Though Irving came home with a greater medal, he didn't get the same on-ice experince as Mueller as he served as Price's backup the entire tournament. But he did have the best seat in the house as Canada went a perfect 7-0 and won its third straight gold with a 4-2 victory over Russia.

"It was frustrating, but the way Carey (who was named the tournament MVP) was playing I knew they would keep him out there," Irving said about not getting a chance to play. "He did a phenomenal job and if not for him I don't think we win a couple of those games. The nice part about it is we got along great off the ice. That makes it a lot easier and we still had a lot of fun."

And Irving's backup experience likely wasn't in vain. Still eligible for the World Juniors next year, he now has the inside track to backstop the Canadians for next year in the Czech Republic.

"I'm hoping to be the starter next year," Irving said. "There's still a lot of work to put into everything, there's no guarantee. I'll just keep working hard and hopefully things work out next year."

It's not a given Mueller and Irving will be thrown back into the fray right away tonight against Portland. Both practiced full speed Thursday, but Mueller skated primarily with the fourth line and Irving used his backup equipment because his first-choice gear is still making its way back to Everett piece-meal. Everett coach Kevin Constantine said he was going to talk with both before making a decision on how they'll be used today.

Tipped Off
01-12-2007, 11:33 AM
Was at the office this morning exchanging some tix. So Far 6000 sold for tonight. It was 16 degrees Farenheit (sp) at my house this morning and temps are supposed to drop into the teens again tonight. I'm not sure what that's going to do to any walk up crowd we might have. I also have to assume Portland isn't travelling too well this year. Maybe 6500-7000 for tonight?

Tipped Off
01-13-2007, 12:41 AM
Bad night for the Tips. All though they out shot the Hawks 29-13, three of those 13 found the net. One was on an empty net I questioned when KC did it. Two were on bad defensive lapses by the Tips.

I don't understand why, with just under two minutes to go and a penalty on the Hawks, KC kept Irving out of the net? The Tips, all though they hadn't scored on the PP yet, had been around the net all night...even hitting two or three posts. It's not like they weren't creating chances. So, with the penalty on the HAwks, why not just run the #1 PP unit in the WHL instead of giving the HAwks free chances with no impending Icing looming over their shoulder? It didn't make sense when KC did it and it still doesn't make sense.

Congrats to the HAwks. They came to play. One of my buddies came up to me after the game and said he thought this was one of the best officiated games of the year and I totally agree with him. There's nothing to blame the 1st regulation loss at Home this season for the Tips on but being out hustled and out worked by the Hawks.

That being said, I'll make one excuse and be done with it. We got Mueller back after a long absence. We had a week off since our last game and we had a new D-man on the ice with the Trade of Doyle. You could see there was a bit of learning and getting reacquanted (sp) going on out there. That being said, the Tips have more talent than the Hawks at this point in time (not saying the Hawks may not grow into a good team together) and should have been able to beat the last place team on home ice.

Tipped Off
01-13-2007, 12:41 AM
Portland Evades Everett 3-1
Zetariuk Earns Lone Silvertip Goal
Everett Silvertips Press Release

Everett, WA - In meeting number five of ten between the Everett Silvertips and the Portland Winterhawks, the Winterhawks came out on top by a final score of 3-1. Everett, now 33-7-0-1, remains in the top spot in the division with 67 points. Portland, moving up to 14-26-1-1, now has 30 points but stays at the bottom of the US Division.

Jesse Zetariuk scored the only goal for the Silvertips. His was the opening goal of the game at 15:24 of the first period. Zetariuk wristed a shot from the right point to put Everett on the board with one. Zach Hamill and Dan Gendur posted assists on the goal.

In the second Nick Hotson tied it up with an unassisted goal at the eight minute mark. Two and a half minutes later Matt Schmermund got the puck from Teegan Moore after a face off deep in Everett territory. Schmermund, who waited in front of the goal, just flipped it into the top right corner to push the Winterhawks up 2-1. The final goal came at 18:59 of the third. While Everett had a six on four advantage, and an empty net, Frazer McLaren sent the puck down center ice to finalize the scoring at 3-1.

Leland Irving made his return in tonight's. He made 10 saves on 12 shots but drops his record to 19-4-0-1. Kurtis Mucha, in net for the Winterhawks, made 28/29 saves and pushes his goaltending history to 14-19-1-1. On the power play Everett went scoreless on seven chances while Portland converted on one of five. The Silvertips out shot the Winterhawks 29-13.

These two teams meet once again tomorrow night, Saturday January 13th, at the Memorial Coliseum in Portland, OR. The Silvertips seek their revenge beginning at 7:30 pm.

Silvertips Box Scores

Jesse Zetariuk (6) 1 G
Zach Hamill 1 A
Dan Gendur 1 A
Leland Irving (19-4-0-1): 10/12 saves
Power Play: Everett 0/7, Portland 1/5
Shots on Goal: Everett 29, Portland 13
Attendance: 7,286

3 Stars of the Game

1. Kurtis Mucha (POR)
2. Jesse Zetariuk (EVT)
3. Nick Hotson (POR)

Tipped Off
01-13-2007, 12:51 AM
CAngrats to Vancouver on regaining the # 1 spot. The tips only have one more game this week....tomorrow at portland....and it doesn't matter if we vlow them out, you can't only win 1 of 2 against the last place team and the loss being on home ice and keep the #1 ranking unless the rest of the top 3 or 4 fall on their face.

dondo
01-13-2007, 01:03 AM
umm we lost too and you guys still hold number one spot -- or do you mean the CHL rankings?

nope you guys lead that too

well thanks anyway -- see ya on the 19th

Tipped Off
01-13-2007, 01:04 AM
I meant CHL, but I didn't look to see if you had lost before I posted.

dondo
01-13-2007, 01:34 AM
CHL rankings as of January 10th (http://www.chl.ca/CHLNews0607/0110.html)

No worries I was just unsure if there was something I didn't know. the Tigers might have just passed you by one point for the league lead though. They were at 66 pts and beat us tonight to go to 68 -- and I think you guys are still at 67pts after the Portland loss.

edit: n/m they are at 66 pts with the win over us -- you guys still lead the league with 67pts.

Swando
01-13-2007, 02:52 AM
It's actually good to see you guys can loose to the lower teams ala MJ/ Portland like the rest of us. It makes every team realize they have a chance. PG lost 4-0 to Kelowna (a rebuilding team) tonight as well.
Just goes to show you kids can take nights off just like the pros do on a regular basis!!!

dj-kris
01-13-2007, 04:54 AM
if both you guys could drop one to the bruins that would be super the tigers already gave us one come on everyones doing it :laugh: