PDA

View Full Version : Huge game in Calgary tonight. Over 12,000 tickets sold already

Rebel66
02-25-2005, 10:33 AM
There are two Rebels fan buses going, thanks to the organization of fearless Shinyshoes. See you at the game Shiny. (Remember to leave my tickets at the office please!!! :) )

This one has the feel of a playoff game already. The Hitmen lead the Rebels by three points while Red Deer has two games in hand. Given the tight standings in the division this is a massive game.

After a somewhat poor US road swing Sutter came back saying that he might call up some 15 year olds because if you're going to lose anyway you might as well have the kids learning the ropes. Don't think that that's going to happen but Rome and Morris had better step it up as they are currently in Sutter's doghouse. There will be some new forward lines for the Rebels tonight in any case. Anyone know what they might be?

Personally I just hope that Vetter isn't the ref. Might as well turn around and leave the building if that's the case! :o

Any other thoughts or predictions on this one? Who's going?

tazndevil
02-25-2005, 11:09 AM
Couldn't agree more.

Should be a great one tonight, and I hope the ref is a non-factor. Let these 2 teams battle it out with their blood and sweat.

Fans will be jumping with all the pre-game hoopla for #20.

Can't wait to see what they do for him.

Anyone on this board coming down for the game?

Would love to meet any and all of you and chat.

You can private message or let me know here where your seats are, or we can set up another place to meet.

Taz

Tinner
02-25-2005, 01:02 PM
I agree, lets just hope the ref isn't there thinking he's why everyone came to the game. :p

Shinyshoes
02-25-2005, 01:05 PM
Anyone on this board coming down for the game?

Would love to meet any and all of you and chat.

Havnt got our tickets yet, But Myself, Tiny, Rebel66 will all be on the buses comming down. Look for the sea of Rebels Gear and then ask for Doug.

See you there!

Rebels_chick
02-25-2005, 10:38 PM
:burningma My frickin' internet radio isn't working and I can't listen to the game and I'm not very happy.

Tinner
02-25-2005, 11:36 PM
looks like the rebs had a little stinker tonight. can anyone that was at the game post a recap for us.

jaffner87
02-26-2005, 12:44 AM
Fraser opened the scoring about nine minutes into the first period with a beauty, and Dion did the same about a minute and a half later. Andrew Ladd finally answered for the Hitmen about 7 minutes later. There were a number of penalties in the first, particularly for roughing. Overall, it was a great period- very physical, very intense. In my opinion, it was the best.

Second period, Riley Merkley scored for Calgary not quite five minutes in, and ten minutes later, so did Brodie Dupont. Both were on the power play, the first coming when Flatters was slapped with 2 minutes for high sticking, and Phaneuf, who received a five minute major for fighting (he went at it for a while with White after completely levelling a Hitmen forward, and it was a great fight).

Slightly over a minute into the final period, Shean Landolt scored for the Hitmen, and with under two minutes left, Getzlaf landed himself an empty-netter.

Overall, I thought that it was a great game, but it seemed that the Rebs began to deteriorate after the first period or so.

RunTheGoalie
02-26-2005, 01:19 AM
looks like the rebs had a little stinker tonight. can anyone that was at the game post a recap for us.

The Rebels play was only one of several bombs tonight, the first of which blew up underneath a bridge near the Dome, causing a traffic nightmare leading to the 20 minute delay in the game.

Pieper really should have been tossed from the game in the first for a deliberate attempt to injure. Real classy of him to charge Getzlaf with his elbow aimed at the Hitmen captain's head, especially given Getzlaf is only just returning from a concussion. Good on Landolt for going after Pieper.

Similaraly, good on Vandermeer for sticking up for Kuukka when Dupont dropped a bomb on him on the next shift. Good to see both teams sticking up for their teammates.

Phaneuf leveled Dupont (iirc) in the third on one of his trademark open ice hits, then bloodied Ryan White's nose when the latter came in to defend his teammate - though the fight itself was pretty much even.

The Rebels definitely came out flying tonight. Two dumb penalties by Calgary led to two early goals on some very good execution by the Rebels PP unit. Pieper's dumbass move woke the Hitmen up however, and from that point on, they just couldnt hang with Calgary at all. Hopefully the Rebels awoke the beast, and caused the "best team in the WHL" to finally show up, just in time for the playoffs.

tiny
02-26-2005, 01:48 PM
I guess the number of times I saw the replay on the screen was too slanted from where I was. I didn't see it at all like you did. I thought it was more of a typical Zalaski call, iffy at best.

I agree that it was great for someone on each team to "stand tall' for a teammate.

The_Vulk
02-26-2005, 06:29 PM
The Rebels definitely came out flying tonight. Two dumb penalties by Calgary led to two early goals on some very good execution by the Rebels PP unit.
The Rebels PP unit sure did look awesome.

And each time Red Deer was awarded the power play we had the feeling that they would score. It was that well executed on the ice.

And something we in Calgary have complained about for some time. Our PP looks haphazard at times.

Pieper's dumbass move woke the Hitmen up however, and from that point on, they just couldnt hang with Calgary at all. Hopefully the Rebels awoke the beast, and caused the "best team in the WHL" to finally show up, just in time for the playoffs.
As a Hitmen fan, I sure hope the "beast/best team in the WHL" stays awake. Have teams at the top of their game heading into the playoffs sure makes for one Hell of a series.

Of course, I won't complain if the Canes and Tigers get a little cold heading into the playoffs.

tazndevil
02-28-2005, 03:28 PM
Great to see so many Rebel fans down for the game. Really adds to the atmosphere in the building. You guys are amongst the BEST fans in the league-- no where near the worst. NEVER let anyone tell you differently.

Hard to tell wether it was a great comback from the Hitmen, or total collapse by the Rebels, or both.

Holy crap what a hit by Pfaneuf on Danserauas he receives the suicide pass across the middle. No penalty. And there shouldn't have been one. Good non call. Prob the only thing Zalaski got right all night.

Thoght the game was going to explode into as fight-fest---especially after they made it 5-2. Ref was missing all the penalties, and calling the good hits as penalties. I guess in the long run it didn't matter as the best team won.

Pfaneuf playing forward on the PP?????? Who's freakin idea was this. You can't move this horse from out of there. Get him back on the point where he belongs IMMEDIATELY. You guys are hard enuff to beat without pulling that crap. (hehehe)

Shinyshoes--great to put a name to the face and I apologize for the brief confusion I caused at the tables. How many you guys got coming down for the 11th????. Would love to met more posters from this site.

Just my thoughts.

Taz