PDA

View Full Version : Did Spokane really score?

LifelongChiefsFan
01-15-2007, 09:46 AM
I never had a chance to listen to the Chiefs/Ams game live and didn't even read a recap of it until this morning, so I had no idea that there was any controversy over the Chiefs' 2nd goal until today. It prompted me to purchase the game on the whlvideo site to see the play for myself. After watching the play now probably 10 or so times, I'm convinced that the puck never went in. Now I will admit, the quality of the whl video is mediocre at best, but not seeing the puck actually go in isn't the only reason I don't think it did. The lack of a huge reaction from the fans, and the fact none of the Chiefs players on the ice celebrated the goal are other reasons.

Maybe someone who was actually at the game had a better view of it and can confirm if it actually did go in. But for now, from what I have seen so far, all I can say is that the Chiefs had a late Christmas present handed to them.

Jimmypop316
01-15-2007, 02:45 PM
I think the league office commented on it the next day and in fact it didn't go in.

This is how hockey goes sometimes though. Everyones on the recieving end of these calls and just have to get past it and go on to the next game.

HAF
01-15-2007, 07:05 PM
I'm really hoping the WHL will follow suit with the OHL and make video goal reviews mandatory on plays like this rather than depend on the word of a local volunteer. There was a good artilcal discussing this in the Dec 26th Hockey News page 38.
In the OHL all goals are being reviewed this year as they have hired a video goal judge in every arena in the league. I'm hoping it wont be long for the WHL to follow suit.

Five Hole
01-16-2007, 12:33 PM
I'm really hoping the WHL will follow suit with the OHL and make video goal reviews mandatory on plays like this rather than depend on the word of a local volunteer. There was a good artilcal discussing this in the Dec 26th Hockey News page 38.
In the OHL all goals are being reviewed this year as they have hired a video goal judge in every arena in the league. I'm hoping it wont be long for the WHL to follow suit.

Did the article mention what type of equipment it would require in each rink? I'm sure only 1 or 2 in the WHL would have it now....maybe only the Saddledome, being an NHL rink? I'm assuming it would have to be an overhead video camera directly over the goal red line at each end in order to do it properly?

LifelongChiefsFan
01-16-2007, 01:16 PM
Did the article mention what type of equipment it would require in each rink? I'm sure only 1 or 2 in the WHL would have it now....maybe only the Saddledome, being an NHL rink? I'm assuming it would have to be an overhead video camera directly over the goal red line at each end in order to do it properly?

I agree with HAF that instituting instant replay is something that needs to be done. This is especially magnified in this instance because of the tight race the Chiefs, Ams and Tbirds are in. As for instant replay, I don't think it would be something too difficult to accomodate. They were able to use instant replay fine at the Spokane Arena in the 98 Memorial Cup and I believe they use instant replay for every MC tournament and I've never heard about any problems with it. I think that 3 cameras would suffice for most situations. Have one camera in the goal another above it and then a 3rd from the side. Then add several more cameras at different angles for the playoffs. Although even using just one camera for instant replay would be an improvement.

Jimmypop316
01-16-2007, 03:03 PM
Video replay is an absolute necessity this day in age. I don't see why the dub hasn't been with it for years. Hell, lets not institute it after major league baseball because that would just be plain awful.

HAF
01-16-2007, 05:30 PM

They really didnt get into much detail on it. I'll look at the Hockey News website and see if I can find the online artical.

AmsPhotos
01-16-2007, 05:32 PM
Wouldn't we have the same local volunteers in charge of video replay that are in the goal judge boxes. I think the key is to have the league step up and pay to have a video judge travel along with the ref and linesmen. Nothing against Dave Cox, I'm sure he did as well as any local volunteer would be expected to.

HAF
01-16-2007, 05:40 PM
I couldnt find the artical that was published on Dec 26th however I did find this artical.

OHL Announces Video Replay and Memorial Cup Bid Host Guidelines

Created: Jun 8, 2006
This past week the Ontario Hockey League completed its annual league Congress Meetings in Toronto, Ontario. During these meetings the League’s Board of Governors announced that the OHL will utilize video replay to review all goals during 2006-07 regular season and playoffs. A league appointed video goal judge will be present at all OHL games and will view all available camera angles including overhead cameras in the goal area that will be installed in every OHL facility prior to the commencement of the season.

Video review of goals will be available in the following situations:

1. Puck crossing the goal line.

2. Puck in the net prior to the goal frame being dislodged.

3. Puck in the net prior to, or after expiration of time at the end of the period or game.

4. Puck kicked into the net by a foot or directed in by other means.

5. Puck deflected into the net off an official.

6. Puck struck with a high stick, above the height of the crossbar, by an attacking player prior to entering the net