PDA

View Full Version : Injuries take toll on Blades' defence

nivek_wahs
01-16-2007, 05:39 AM
http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/sports/story.html?id=2aff5a49-5956-49ce-87e7-7b1c8414b66d&k=81199

Injuries take toll on Blades' defence

Cory Wolfe, The StarPhoenix
Published: Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Ryan Funk refuses to be a stay-at-home defenceman.

An inflamed pubic bone has kept him out of the Saskatoon Blades' lineup since November, but the injury hasn't kept him away from the rink.

"Going along with the team helps," Funk said Monday. "If I was just sitting here at home, watching them play on TV, it would be a lot harder. The guys have been pretty good about making me feel like I'm still part of the team."

Funk last played Nov. 25 during a 4-1 loss in Brandon. He's missed 19 games with a delicate injury that wasn't easily diagnosed. The inflamed pubic bone is believed to be the result of previous injuries which went undetected and did not heal properly.

"I thought when I first got injured that I'd be back right away," said the 17-year-old sophomore from Morden, Man. "Now it's been this long. People were telling me I'm going to be out for the year and people were telling me I'd be back in a week. There was a lot of different opinions.

"If I knew I could play through the pain, it wouldn't be that big of a deal because I've played through things before. But when you know it's just going to get worse and mess you up for the long term, (playing through pain) is not that easy to do."

The Blades' defence has been battered and bruised all season. Rookie Teigan Zahn recently suffered a broken jaw, while Bohdan Visnak just returned from a shoulder injury. A concussion kept captain Brad Cole out of nine games before Christmas.

"I know the frustration when you think you're not making progress," said Cole. "You can multiply (Funk's) by a hundred. One day he could feel fine and then he's back to Square 1."

Funk had a plus-6 rating in his first 24 games. The timetable for his return remains uncertain, but he is optimistic that he'll be back on the ice this season. Cortisone shots have helped reduce some of the inflammation, but he hasn't been able to do any lower-body exercises so he'll need some time to restore his conditioning.

"I'm basically starting from scratch," said Funk, who has skated only twice since Nov. 25.

Lately, the Blades have had to make do with five defencemen: overagers Cole and Joe Logan, plus Visnak, Brett Ward and rookie Sam Klassen.

"It's made everyone a stronger group and some guys have gotten opportunities that they probably wouldn't get otherwise," said Cole. "A kid like Sam Klassen has stepped in and played some big minutes. He plays against other teams' top lines and he's pretty green."

Klassen, who turned 18 on Jan. 1, is jut 11 games into his Western Hockey League career.

"The guys are relishing the opportunity to get more ice time," said coach-GM Lorne Molleken. "Everybody wants to play more and everybody is getting an opportunity to play in different situations. In the long run, it's going to make us a lot better."

BLADE BITS: Blades C Justin McCrae might be ready to play Friday when the Regina Pats visit Credit Union Centre. McCrae has missed three games after suffering a concussion last week versus Seattle. Thunderbirds RW Ian McKenzie was suspended three games for checking McCrae from behind . . . D Teigan Zahn and LW Rastislav Konecny are sidelined with broken jaws and they're expected to miss at least another month . . . The Blades have returned D Jordan Principalli to the midget AAA Calgary Flames. He was held pointless and had a minus-3 rating in two games.

cwolfe@sp.canwest.com

© The StarPhoenix (Saskatoon) 2007

Blades 4 Life!
01-16-2007, 09:35 AM
I haven't really noticed funk or his game play gone. Sam Klassen has turned some heads yeehoo this year and i doubt that anyone would have guess that. It's good when a call up or a player that doesn't play often comes in and plays very well. i would like to see funk bacl soon or late as the playoffs if the Blades make them.

howley
01-16-2007, 12:49 PM
the pubic bone? aha, what. Anyways, I am surprised they expect Mccrae back as soon as Friday. Very good news, I thought he would be out longer than that. I agree as well about Klassen, he has some really good games. The only knock I have on him came in the last game. He has been pinching up alot lately with some success with hits or just keeping control of the puck. On the goal where PA tied it up...there he was. Klassen pinched way down to try to keep control, they chipped it past him for the 2-1 and that was it. Rookie error and maybe abit over confident. None the less he has played very very well!

Blades 4 Life!
01-16-2007, 01:23 PM
i am very glad to hear that McCrae is coming back so soon. But that is great news casue the Blades cannot loose anymore players to injury. the Blades have been winning of late and they still have been missing some key players. With McCrae back that will up our chances of winning. Klassen is really the only Defensmen that jumps up on the play. Sometimes that could lead into a giveaway but it could also lead to a good scoring chance.

It was also nice to see at the Saturday game vs the Warriors to see Cole play through his flu. I noticed jurying when thhey were fixing the glass that Cole went to the locker room and Menei go over to the score box and say something about Cole(I didn't hear very much but i did hear Menei use the name Cole) and when Menei went back to the bench, Cole came out of the locker room. he is the leader of the team and i'm glad to see him play through his flu, and glad to see him not being traded

GBG BLEED BLUE
01-16-2007, 01:46 PM
I was listening to the game against PA and Lorne Molleken had said that Gaelan Patterson,and another forward(I think Colton Gillies) had played defence before so they could/can be used to play defence(since there are only 5 defencemen right now.)

With the game comming up on friday VS the Pats and a tougher line-up(with the addition of Myles Stoesz),also Hulak and MacAngus get to play there former teams and face eachother for the first time.

It is good to have some utility players on the team(until the defence is 100% healthy)

I can not wait until friday to see these two division rivals(Blades and Pats face off,it should be a good game since both teams are battling for playoff positions.

Blades 4 Life!
01-16-2007, 01:55 PM
It will be nice to see MacAngus back in Saskatoon. i was wondering if he will fight anyone. I have seen him fight about 5 things and he does put up a good fight. but just for fun against his old team. i have not heard anything of MacAngus in Regina. Hulak has sure been making some noise around town with his multy point nights. It will be nice to see him back.