PDA

View Full Version : Possible pick ups?

Tigerfan96
01-16-2007, 11:27 PM
Might as well get this one goin..any thoughts on who will be left unprotected and picked up in the up comming expansion draft?

tiger fan 4 life
01-17-2007, 10:05 AM
that each team can protect 16 players off their 50 player list (no 15 or 16 year olds can be picked) I think the following will be protected:

G Holfeld

D Schlemko
Glass
Bendfeld
Brown

F Ennis
Bosch
Swystun
Undershute
Lowry
Wasden
Grant
J. Sauer
Hickmott
Gron
Neigum or Cameron

Any other ideas or players I missed?

CatFan
01-17-2007, 09:57 PM
Koper and Van De Mosselaar (not sure of the spelling!)

patsdude114
01-20-2007, 12:12 AM
Heres my idea of how the Pats protected list might look like........

Only goaltender we will protect will be.....
Linden Rowat

Our Defence to be protected

Logan Pyett
Nick Ross
Craig Schira
Colten Teubert
Matt Delahey

Our forwards to be protected

Garret Festerling
Jordan Eberle
Brett Leffler
Troy Ofunkany
Kirt Hill
Mike Reich
Michael MacAngus
Levi Lind
Josh Elder

And for the 16th player to be protected it is kind of a toss up i think im not sure as to the other players who might be on our protected list who arnt on the team at this point and there ages but I am guessing there might be 1 player the Pats might have on there that will get protected and if there isnt then i think the 16th could be between Jared Jagow, Tommy Tartaglione and Kaspars Saulietis (not sure about Kaspars as a 20 yr old European i think the Pats might start from scratch with the europeans if he isnt protected, cuz i see no point in protecting a player like Niko Snellmen as he plays a North American style and doesnt have good hands which is a norm for euro's)

this is just my look at who might/should be protected anyways...If Edmonton wants a goalie with no style but yet exciting in the crease id say take Tartaglione, cuz the Pats have a couple young prospects between the pipes for the back-up role behind Rowat nexted year

mjwfan
01-22-2007, 01:14 AM
I think these players could be available
G - Kurt Jory

D- Ryan Stanton
D- Jock Sutter
D-Mike Hengen

F-K Voytechek

In the crowd
01-22-2007, 11:51 PM
I think these players could be available
G - Kurt Jory

D- Ryan Stanton
D- Jock Sutter
D-Mike Hengen

F-K Voytechek

Ha Ha imagine Voytechek starting 2 seasons in a row with expansion teams. It would be funny if he scores Edmontons first goal as well

AmsPhotos
01-23-2007, 07:02 PM
Heres my idea of how the Pats protected list might look like........

Only goaltender we will protect will be.....
Linden Rowat

Our Defence to be protected

Logan Pyett
Nick Ross
Craig Schira
Colten Teubert
Matt Delahey

Our forwards to be protected

Garret Festerling
Jordan Eberle
Brett Leffler
Troy Ofunkany
Kirt Hill
Mike Reich
Michael MacAngus
Levi Lind
Josh Elder

And for the 16th player to be protected it is kind of a toss up i think im not sure as to the other players who might be on our protected list who arnt on the team at this point and there ages but I am guessing there might be 1 player the Pats might have on there that will get protected and if there isnt then i think the 16th could be between Jared Jagow, Tommy Tartaglione and Kaspars Saulietis (not sure about Kaspars as a 20 yr old European i think the Pats might start from scratch with the europeans if he isnt protected, cuz i see no point in protecting a player like Niko Snellmen as he plays a North American style and doesnt have good hands which is a norm for euro's)

this is just my look at who might/should be protected anyways...If Edmonton wants a goalie with no style but yet exciting in the crease id say take Tartaglione, cuz the Pats have a couple young prospects between the pipes for the back-up role behind Rowat nexted year

Festerling? They are going to protect a graduated player? I know Parker can be a bit whacko, but I hope he has more sense than that! :D

ChilliwackFan
01-24-2007, 12:51 AM
I donno about the follow info but i have been to different Forums threw whl and here is what their fans say

Portland: Nick Hotson
Kelowna: Tysen Dowzak
Brandon: Tyler Dittmer
Calgary:
Everett: Shayne Barrie
Lethbridge: Jesse Craige
Moose jaw: Kurt Jory
Prince Albert:
Prince George:
Red Deer:
Regina: Derek Reinhart
Saskatoon: Craig Cuthbertt
Seattle: Benn Olson
Spokane: Judd Blackwater
Swift Current:
Tri-City: Matt Swaby
Vancouver: Michael Wuchterl
Chilliwack:

Broncs in RD
01-24-2007, 06:06 AM
Swift will proberally lose McAvoy

hockeydude19
02-03-2007, 02:19 PM
oilkings should also look at some players from the AJHL...some good young talent there

Triton
02-03-2007, 02:27 PM
With Brandon it might be either Kauk or Dittmer.Prince Albert might leave Dowhay or Scherger unprotected.

I really don't see TC leaving Swaby unprotected.He could possibly be their best defenseman.

hockeydude19
02-03-2007, 06:46 PM
AJHL has some good young talent that i think would help out the expansion team for sure

Wildeyes
02-17-2007, 12:15 AM
the AJ would be a good place to look but the thing with the players that play in the BC AJ SJ MJ is that they play one game in the DuB they would lose the NCAA paid tickets

Wildeyes
02-17-2007, 12:16 AM
Under NCAA rules the DuB is considerd minor pro because the players get "allowances"

aaAlta
02-21-2007, 05:25 PM
I think theres lots of AJ players would come over on invite, especially just for the tryout. Also to sign with a W team you will get at least one year of college assistance (tuition and books) for every year you play in that league.

Its too bad NCAA considers the "allowances" W players get make them inelligible. I guess they have to do something creative to keep some of the good players from going the W route. But really they arent much different than what alot of AJ teams or USHL teams pay. The W allowances are fairly strictly limited; and little more than gas and munchies money. For the AJ the allowances are often similar. Though they can and do pay more to some guys they wish to attract, who dont care about the NCAA limits.

neutral
02-22-2007, 07:14 PM
Under NCAA rules the DuB is considerd minor pro because the players get "allowances"

The WHL is not considered minor pro and the players do not lose their eligibility because of the small allowances they receive. This is a common misconception. The ineligibility pertains to playing in a league where some players have signed professional contracts. Any way you look at it, they lose their eligibility so it is a bit of a moot point.

On another note, you need to find out what percent of BC AB SA and MA Jr A players actually get a scholarship. Many of the good players do. Then you need to find out how many get a full ride. You would be surprised. In many cases the amount a player has to pay to go to a US College is the same as paying the full shot at a Canadian University. On the other hand, 100% of all WHL players are eligible to receive a 1 year scholarship per year played. Although it does not amount to a full US scholarship, on average it is a great opportunity.

Before any one jumps all over me, I firmly believe both options are excellent choices for young hockey players and students. Neither option is better or worse, and it is up to the individual to decide.

aaAlta
02-23-2007, 11:20 AM
Ok Neutral. Thats interesting. Thats the first time I heard that the ineligibility was about playing with guys who may have signed a pro contract. I thought it was about allowances/payment; and it always bugged me that most teams AJ allowances werent much different. I thought it was just kinda a BS way to declare W players ineligible, so that some of the good players could be attracted to Tier 2 and the college teams by schollys, otherwise maybe they'd all go the W route, if they could still get schollys to go at 21. Like the W guys can still go play university and college in Canada no problem.

But I still think thats odd, because although it doesnt happen much, theres no reason why an AJ player couldnt be drafted to the NHL and signed before hes done AJ. I dont think that would tarnish all the other AJ players eligibility.

Either way, you're right, its a personal choice. And the W support is very good for most of the players.

neutral
02-24-2007, 09:38 AM
But I still think thats odd, because although it doesnt happen much, theres no reason why an AJ player couldnt be drafted to the NHL and signed before hes done AJ. I dont think that would tarnish all the other AJ players eligibility.

If an AJ player was good enough to be drafted and signed, the NHL team would ensist the player did not finish in the AJ. The player would move to the WHL or if they were 20, potentially to the ECHL or AHL.

Scout
02-24-2007, 11:37 AM
The W.H.L. is considered minor pro because the players are paid, although a limited amount, it is still considered pay to play hockey. I know the NCAA a couple years ago were meeting to cut some slack on this rule but nixed the idea. Although players that get scholarships in college are not considered minor pro but if they play 1 game with the W.H.L. they are considered ineligible for any U.S. college scholarships. It really has nothing to so with who is signed in the W.H.L. If that were the case then the A.J.H.L. would fall into the same catagory as there has been players drafted there also so that would make that league and any other Tier 2 league fall into the same status as the W.H.L. This is the NCAA'S way of using some clout so players don't go to the W.H.L. and then get a scholarship when they are 20 after playing their prime years up North. This battle between the NCAA and Hockey Canada has been ongoing for years. The NCAA is also protecting their players from going North to test the waters then returning South when they find it wasen't all what they thought and still getting a scholarship. It's their way of protecting their players and investment on up and coming talent. The U.S. puts alot more money than Canada into it's hockey programs and want to make sure their investment is protected.

Scout

Tigerfan96
02-25-2007, 08:04 PM
From what i have been told a player who plays in only one WHL game does not lose any hope of recieving a Scholy to an NCAA university. They do however lose 1 full year of eligibility. They do not lose thier entire eligibility until they are added to the activated roster, rather than just an AP or emergancy call up.

N.W. Bruin
02-26-2007, 11:24 PM
From what i have been told a player who plays in only one WHL game does not lose any hope of recieving a Scholy to an NCAA university. They do however lose 1 full year of eligibility. They do not lose thier entire eligibility until they are added to the activated roster, rather than just an AP or emergancy call up.

I have also heard that they lose one full year of eligiblity plus one game for every major junior game played. So if a player plays five games in the Dub he is not eligible for a full season plus first five games in his second NCAA season.

Goblades26
03-11-2007, 11:10 AM
My idea as to who the Blades protect:

1 Holtby
2 Zemlak if we can protect 2 goalies, Toomey if we can't

3 Funk
4 Zahn
5 Ward
6 Klassen
7 Canart D

8 Gillies
9 Wintoniak
10 Patterson
11 McCrae
12 Hulak
13 Cameron
14 Konecny
15 Dulle
16 Crowley

These players would be available:
Either of Zemmer/Toomey
Cloud
Cuthbert
Geric
Klotz
MacAulay
Visnak

Dougall
Doll
Friesen
Hebert
McLeod
Philp
Stebner

- I dont feel that Cloud or MacAulay have played up to expectations of late. Both would be good to keep for their experience, one could be kept in place of Dulle, but I like what Kenton ahs done for us this year since coming from Van.
- Geric has not had much of a chance here, would be a nice pickup for Edmonton
- Klotz has been streaky to say the least... and the enforcer role can be picked up by Dulle someehat if need be
- Cuthbert has not done all that much in my eyes and is smallish in size.
- Visnak, love the way the little guy plays, but not bad to lose one Euro to allow for another to be picked up from the Euro Draft. He also is smallish, and
while he takes a beating and keeps getting back up from it, it also works against him as he could be injury prone.
- Friesen or Toomey would be the toughest prospects to lose, and if we dont have to protect Konecny, one of them would be protected I would think.

moon
03-11-2007, 08:34 PM
I donno about the follow info but i have been to different Forums threw whl and here is what their fans say

Brandon: Tyler Dittmer
Calgary:
Everett: Shayne Barrie
Lethbridge: Jesse Craige
Moose jaw: Kurt Jory
Prince Albert:
Prince George:
Red Deer:
Regina: Derek Reinhart
Saskatoon: Craig Cuthbertt
Seattle: Benn Olson
Spokane: Judd Blackwater
Swift Current:
Vancouver: Michael Wuchterl
Chilliwack:

No way will Craige be available from Lethbridge.

Tidball
03-12-2007, 10:50 AM
I would protect Cloud and MacAuley before i protect Konecny and Crowley.

GBG BLEED BLUE
03-12-2007, 06:39 PM
I would protect Cloud and MacAuley before i protect Konecny and Crowley.
Have you lost your marbles?? With the way it sounds with Chris Cloud I would be very shocked if he was to return next season,and I think you are right about Konecny he might not return next year( I think that we will see one new Euro in Saskatoon) and if you take a look at the stats you can pick out a handful of players that could be in a Oil Kings jersey next season. It would be a dumb move if Crowley was left unprotected, because he has the hardest work ethic on the team IMO.

grainbear
03-12-2007, 07:36 PM
Forwards: Dietrich, Farmanara ,Fadden, Banchs, Boychuk, D King, Chorneyko,
Todd, Giofriddo
Dmen: Randy King, Wright, Versteeg, Craig, Kerr, Bobbee
Goal: Le Clerc

ChilliwackFan
03-15-2007, 05:40 PM
With everyone putting in their input which player would u choose if u were the gm of edmonton.

Brandon:
Calgary:
Chilliwack:
Everett:
Kamloops:
Kelowna:
Kootenay:
Lethbridge:
Medicine hat:
Moose Jaw:
Portland:
Prince Albert:
Prince George:
Red Deer:
Regina:
Saskatoon:
Seattle:
Spokane:
Swift Current:
Tri-City:
Vancouver:

moderator01
03-15-2007, 06:26 PM
Available from Swift Current IMO:

Mcavoy
Leavold
Toulmin
Rakos
Tassone

Toswammi
03-15-2007, 07:17 PM
Available from Swift Current IMO:

Mcavoy
Leavold
Toulmin
Rakos
Tassone
Take Brady and Matt out of that, i dont think they will be made available. I have said it before and i will say it again. Look for McAvoy or someone like a Benke to be headed that way.

BruinsFan19
03-18-2007, 12:23 AM
I have also heard that they lose one full year of eligiblity plus one game for every major junior game played. So if a player plays five games in the Dub he is not eligible for a full season plus first five games in his second NCAA season.

Wrong. They used to do it that way but they changed that rule a few years ago.

I'm sure the Spokane fans remember Curtis Darling. He left Spokane to come play for the Chilliwack Chiefs. He got a scholarship to Maine University but the rules had just changed or were just about to change and the NCAA said no. The Chilliwack educational adviser did everything he could to try and get them to grandfather the rule so Darling could just red-shirt a year but no such luck.

Blades 4 Life!
03-18-2007, 11:15 PM
Have you lost your marbles?? With the way it sounds with Chris Cloud I would be very shocked if he was to return next season,and I think you are right about Konecny he might not return next year( I think that we will see one new Euro in Saskatoon) and if you take a look at the stats you can pick out a handful of players that could be in a Oil Kings jersey next season. It would be a dumb move if Crowley was left unprotected, because he has the hardest work ethic on the team IMO.

Crowley has the hardest work ethic on the team. That amazing work ethic is going to start shaping him into being a point getter. I don't see him putting up very many but i can see 10-20 points he will put up.

ChilliwackFan
04-20-2007, 04:55 AM
After reading the WHL boards; whlfans.ca and here is the updated list i have came up with

After spending the past couple of months reading what everyone has said about my picks and reading the boards of what the other teams have said and some of you are right i don't have much WHL experience as some of you WHL fans do but i think i have came up with some good predictions with the help of some of you WHL Fans.

Brandon: Matt Hallick
Calgary: ????
Chilliwack - Alex Archibald
Everett: ?????
Kamloops:?????
Kootenay: Liam Jeffries
Lethbridge:????
Medicine Hat:????
Moose Jaw: Ryan Stanton
Prince Albert:????
Prince George:Kyle Klym
Red Deer:????
Regina:????
Saskatoon: Adam Geric
Seattle: Lindsay Nielsen
Spokane: David Linsley
Swift Current: Spencer McAvoy
Vancouver: Garet Hunt

I came up with these lists from the list on page 23 (WHL forum) that i previous had of the predictions as well as from whlfans.ca as well ashelp from yuo guys which is greatly appreciated

For some reason people say that Matt Swaby will be gone from Tri-cites... I have no experience with whl so if you can help me out with this that would be great since i live in Hamilton and know nothing about the whl thanks.

nivek_wahs
04-20-2007, 06:39 AM
I don't know what happens to a players scholarship if they play a game in the WHL but I found a copy of the NCAA Division 1 Hockey Manual online and this is what I found about eligibility... I am unable to find anything linking # of GP in the WHL to loss of seasons in the NCAA...

In section 12 Amateurism...

12.2.3.2.4 Major Junior A Ice Hockey. Ice hockey teams in the United States and Canada, classified by the Canadian Amateur Hockey Association as Major Junior A teams, are considered professional teams under NCAA legislation.This is a subsection...

12.2.3.2.4.1 Limitation on Restoration of Eligibility. An appeal for restoration of eligibility may be submitted on behalf of an individual who has participated on a major junior A ice hockey team under the provisions of Bylaw 14.12; however, such individual shall be denied at least the first year of intercollegiate athletics competition in ice hockey at the certifying institution and shall be charged with the loss of at least one season of eligibility in the sport of ice hockey. (Revised: 1/11/89)

NCAA Division 1 Manual (www.ncaa.org/library/membership/division_i_manual/2004-05/2004-05_d1_manual.pdf)