PDA

View Full Version : WHL billet rule

Five Hole
01-18-2007, 07:47 PM
There's an interesting topic on one of the forums about local players and billeting. It got me wondering, and deciding to post a question here, in case others might have some input:

Is it actually a league rule that a player on a team who's family lives in that city can only live at home with his parents if they billet another player, or else he has to be billeted somewhere else? Or is it up to the team?
It really does makes sense when you think about it, from a team's "we're all in this together" perspective.
I wonder how many players throughout the league are local boys playing for their local team in the league, and, of those, how many don't live at home for that reason? ie) either they just choose to be a part of the billet experience rather than live at home, or for some reason their family can't accomodate another player.
Anybody else have any insight or examples they can share?

Sput
01-19-2007, 05:52 PM
We have that situation here in PG with Nick Drazinovic. Local boy, playing here, but they also billet Greg Gardner. Now if there is a team rule there I do not know. When Gary Gladue played here I believe he lived at home, and I don't think they had another billet. No....thats wrong. Gary lived with his uncle because his parents lived out of town. Does that still classify as being billeted though?

Dan Hamuis, when he played here, was billeted, but it was at a friend of the family, at his family's request, so again I'm not sure how that qualifies.

As far as a team rule of having to be billeted out, I'm not aware of the Cougars having one.