PDA

View Full Version : Blades, Pats fighting for last playoff spot

nivek_wahs
01-19-2007, 02:57 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/story.html?id=729c65b3-2d5e-43d7-ab8f-be3f06ab928f

Blades, Pats fighting for last playoff spot

Cory Wolfe, The StarPhoenix
Published: Thursday, January 18, 2007

The Regina Pats have not enjoyed a banner year so far.

A team that was expected to challenge for the East Division pennant is instead trying to hold off the Saskatoon Blades for the final playoff spot.

"I wasn't one of these people who planned that we'd have the banner in the rafters by January," Pats general manager Brent Parker said Wednesday. "I've told a lot of people that I think we've played better than our record is, but I don't think we've played as well as we're capable of either."

Entering Friday's showdown at Credit Union Centre, the fourth-place Pats (18-22-1-3) sit two points ahead of the Blades (18-24-1-1). Saskatoon leads the season series 3-1.

"They've played very well and they've earned everything they have to this point," Parker said of the Blades. "The division is up for grabs. She's a dog fight right through now and every game is going to be like playoff hockey.

"It has to be."

As strange as it sounds, a division title remains within reach of both Regina and Saskatoon. Fourteen points separate the first-place Brandon Wheat Kings and the fifth-place Blades.

"We've gotten ourselves back in a position where we can compete for a playoff spot," said Blades coach-GM Lorne Molleken, whose team has won 10 of its last 13 starts. "Whether it's Prince Albert, Regina, Brandon or Moose Jaw, these games are really, really important within our division."

The Blades play 16 of their final 28 games against divisional opponents, while the Pats play a whopping 21 of 28 matches against East foes.

Friday marks the first head-to-head meeting since the Blades and Pats swapped forwards at the trade deadline. Derek Hulak has a goal and three assists in three games as a Blade. Michael MacAngus has yet to register a point in two games with Regina, but Parker said he's pleased with the winger's gritty on-ice demeanour.

Both teams have shuffled their lineups significantly. Regina acquired tough guy Myles Stoesz from the Chilliwack Bruins last week. Forwards Mike Reich, Troy Ofukany, Kirt Hill, Kaspars Saulietis and Josh Elder (currently injured) are also mid-season acquisitions.

"We're a different hockey club," said Parker. "We're certainly older -- not a ton older -- but we're more mature for sure and we have better balance than we had before."

In addition to Hulak, the Blades added forwards Kenton Dulle and Craig Cuthbert at the trade deadline.

"They're anxious," Molleken said of his team's approach to Friday's game. "We've had some time to practise and correct some things so that the new players understand what's expected.

"There's no question that Friday is the biggest game of the year."

ICE CHIPS: Saskatoon C Justin McCrae has been cleared to play Friday after missing three games with a concussion. He'll centre winger Ryan Menei and Derek Hulak.

cwolfe@sp.canwest.com