PDA

View Full Version : When was the Memorial Arena built

OHLArenaGuide
01-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Just doing some research and hoping one of you Cranbrookers can help me. When was the Cranbrook Memorial Arena built? I'm not talking about the RecPlex, I mean the original old rink where the Ice played before the RecPlex was built.

CHtoo
01-19-2007, 10:45 AM
I visited Cranbrook the first year they were in the League to see the Broncos play.
I remember talking to some of the staff and they told me it was built in 1946.
This stuck with me as that's the year I was born. yeehoo

Rammer
01-19-2007, 01:05 PM
I visited Cranbrook the first year they were in the League to see the Broncos play.
I remember talking to some of the staff and they told me it was built in 1946.
This stuck with me as that's the year I was born. yeehoo

All I know is it was around in the sixties, while I cheered on the Cranbrook Royals and it seemed like a monster sized place to me then, as a kid. Upon my return to the Arena when the Ice began playing in Cranbrook, some 20 years later, I was almost claustrophobic, wow my had my perception changed on it....lol

Someone with an older program should have that information, as IR they listed all the WHL teams arena ages and seating capacities. Not that I am doubting the 46 as the inception. I do know that Kimberley, Cranbrook, Wycliffe, and Chapman Camp played hockey against one another a couple of years after WWI and Cranbrook played on an pond, while Kimberly had their arena in place at the time.

Bomber
01-20-2007, 09:48 PM
The building was constructed during the latter half of 1947 and opened for operation in 1948. I don't know the exact date but I gather that it was Jan/Feb of '48.
At least that was the argument when the referendum for the new Plex took place in late '98, early '99 - that the old barn was 50 years old.