PDA

View Full Version : Expansion Draft Protected list???

patsdude114
01-20-2007, 12:18 AM
I was on the Edmonton Oil Kings thread and i thought what a neat idea not sure how many of us Pat fans go onto other team threads so i thought id start 1 in our thread as to who some of your ideas are on this topic....reading alot of the regulars in the Pats thread there are more then a handfull of people who really know there hockey and i love reading their posts on games,ideas, and opinions (not going to mention any users, as there is a few which is a very low # of people who i seem to laugh inside when i read there posts) but i would love to see some peoples inputs on this topic, which i know we shouldnt be looking towards nexted year as were in the heat of a race for a playoff spot this season, but this Expansion draft is a reality for nexted season as it was this year with Chilliwack. (even though they took a player who never played a game in a Pats jersey anyways)

So here is my list (right from the Edmonton Oil Kings thread)

Heres my idea of how the Pats protected list might look like........

Only goaltender we will protect will be.....
Linden Rowat

Our Defence to be protected

Logan Pyett
Nick Ross
Craig Schira
Colten Teubert
Matt Delahey

Our forwards to be protected

Garret Festerling
Jordan Eberle
Brett Leffler
Troy Ofunkany
Kirt Hill
Mike Reich
Michael MacAngus
Levi Lind
Josh Elder

And for the 16th player to be protected it is kind of a toss up i think im not sure as to the other players who might be on our protected list who arnt on the team at this point and there ages but I am guessing there might be 1 player the Pats might have on there that will get protected and if there isnt then i think the 16th could be between Jared Jagow, Tommy Tartaglione and Kaspars Saulietis (not sure about Kaspars as a 20 yr old European i think the Pats might start from scratch with the europeans if he isnt protected, cuz i see no point in protecting a player like Niko Snellmen as he plays a North American style and doesnt have good hands which is a norm for euro's)

this is just my look at who might/should be protected anyways...If Edmonton wants a goalie with no style but yet exciting in the crease id say take Tartaglione, cuz the Pats have a couple young prospects between the pipes for the back-up role behind Rowat nexted year

GO PATS GO

T-Bone
01-20-2007, 12:28 AM
You're up for a serious let down if you think Festerling is going to be back next year.

Bran
01-20-2007, 12:54 AM
You're up for a serious let down if you think Festerling is going to be back next year.
No kidding.

I have no idea who I'd protect. There are a few fairly obvious choices (Rowat, Pyett, etc.) but there are a lot of players that it would really suck to lose, for lack of better words. Maybe Parker will make a trade to avoid the draft??

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-20-2007, 12:55 AM
Jagow is a good player, I dont see why we shouldnt protect him. He has a good worth ethic, and with some work, could become a decent player. Snellman has been out for awhile, and might be behind in development, but just because he isnt Petr Kalus, doesnt mean he is useless.

Its not his role. He is somewhere more along the lines of a Levi Lind upgrade. He just needs to get used to the NA game, so give him a chance and we will see near the end of the season. He has shown some good offensive ability, and has decent hands from what I have seen though.

Id say that if we still hold the rights to Reinhart that he will go to edmonton, but if not then I think its between Tommy T, Fraipont, Elder or Stoez(which ever does better, but I would think we keep Stoez)

Edmonton would most likely take Tommy T if Reinhart is not an option.

patsdude114
01-20-2007, 01:45 AM
oh my i didnt even realize i put festerling in there have another beer why dont i lol

witness
01-20-2007, 12:38 PM
What is the ruling?
I didn't think that you had to protect the 15 & 16 year olds.
That would free up two spots with Eberle and Tuebert.
If Tommy were available he would be a good pick up for Edmonton and the Pats have two young goalies in the wings.

nivek_wahs
02-14-2007, 04:32 AM
reading alot of the regulars in the Pats thread there are more then a handfull of people who really know there hockey and i love reading their posts on games,ideas, and opinions (not going to mention any users, as there is a few which is a very low # of people who i seem to laugh inside when i read there posts)Which one am I? :D :wave:

-----
I've noticed that numerous people have either decided not to post in this thread or whatever. So I have been think ing about this for a long time and have decided to post my thoughts... even though the Pats are in a battle for a playoff spot. But anyways here are my thoughts as to the Pats "list":

Of the players on the Pats' active roster here is my list of 15 protected players. The players I have as not protected I have reasons for why each is on the "Not Protected" list

Protected
Goal
Linden Rowat

Defence
Colten Tuebert
Craig Schira
Matt Delahey
Nick Ross
Logan Pyett

Forwards
Kirt Hill
Mike Reich
Troy Ofukany
Brett Leffler
Myles Stoesz
Levi Lind
Jordan Eberle
Michael MacAngus
Jared Jagow

Not Protected
Goal
Tommy Tartaglione - I think that for his sake it would benefit him getting a role as a possible starter for the 07-08 season. He will be 19 and back-up... not a great situation for him... Pats may protect him tho, but with Jeff Bosch waiting in the wings I dunno about Tommy's status for next year.

Defence
Spencer Fraipont - just hasn't been able to prove himself with the Pats. Has very limited ice-time and his age will be against him for the 07-08 season (he will be 19)

Forwards
Josh Elder - his status is left as unprotected just due to the fact that he has played 3 games with the Pats and I am unsure of what the Pats plans are with him in Regina.

Justin Scott - will be a 20-year-old and is a checker. Not a good combo for an overager.

Niko Snellman - would the Pats want to start from scratch with the Euro spots? I think that they just might. Snellman has had limited success in the WHL so far.

Kaspars Saulietis - would be a double-hit for the Pats in the 07-08 season, will be 20 and Euro. Highly unlikely he will be back.

Bran
02-14-2007, 12:10 PM
Is Reinhart still on the PPL? Would that be an option?

It says in the Edmonton thread that the rules for this years draft are the same as Chilliwack last year...
I found this about last years draft...

WHL clubs will be allowed to protect only fifteen players - aged 17 to 20 - or sixteen players if that list includes three overagers. All 2005 and 2006 bantam draft picks are exempt from this week's draft.

The article is here ( http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3319080 ) if you want to read the whole thing.