PDA

View Full Version : Hulak Remains Popular With Pats Team

patsfan33
01-20-2007, 12:55 AM
http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/sports/story.html?id=db4e483b-1c37-49b6-baff-e98cd2448a3b

Hulak remains popular with Regina Pats team

Cory Wolfe, The StarPhoenix
Published: Friday, January 19, 2007
Like his boyhood idol Darcy Hordichuk, Saskatoon Blades winger Derek Hulak has tremendous hands.

But unlike Hordichuk, Hulak does his best work with his gloves on.

"Hordichuk was my favourite player growing up," said Hulak, who wasn't yet a teenager when Hordichuk played bodyguard for the Blades from 1998 to 2000.

"You could tell that he would do anything for his team and that's the type of guy I want to be, just in a different manner."

Acquired by his hometown Blades last week, Hulak has already been elevated to the first line. He'll play alongside Justin McCrae and Ryan Menei tonight when his former mates, the Regina Pats, visit Credit Union Centre. The Blades sit two points behind the Pats and the East Division's final playoff spot.

"It'll be weird looking at the other bench and seeing guys I've played with half the year, but I'm definitely excited," said Hulak. "Hopefully we can gain a much-needed two points on them in the standings."

Hulak has been peppered with shots from his former teammates. Matt Delahey, Brett Leffler, Nick Ross and Linden Rowat have all been badgering the affable Hulak about tonight's tilt.

"It's a little bit of healthy competition," Hulak said with a grin. "They're saying that they're gonna win and I'm saying that we're gonna win."

Different logos now make them rivals, but not enemies. Hulak remains a popular character with Pats players and management. Regina GM Brent Parker granted Hulak's request to play for his hometown Blades so that he could be close to his mother, Alina, who is battling cancer.

"It's helped put my mind at ease knowing that I can be with my family day in and day out and I can see my mom whenever I need to," said Hulak. "Hats off to the Blades organization because they've been great in allowing me time when I need it.

"It's also good to come to the rink and just forget about everything -- get in a good two hours of doing what I love, with the guys I love to be with."

Parker speaks glowingly of Hulak's character.

"Had his situation been different," said Parker, "we probably would not have . . . Well, never mind probably. I know we would not have even explored it. But we're happy with the player we got back and it's going to be a good fit for us."

Hulak and 18-year-old winger Michael MacAngus traded places. The Blades also sent third- and fifth-round bantam picks in exchange for the Pats' fourth-rounder.

While Hulak is regarded as a better finisher, MacAngus displays impressive grit.

"They both have intricacies in their games that are different, but in a lot of ways, they're similar," said Parker. "They're smart players and (MacAngus) seems to have fit in well."

MacAngus has complemented the offensive talents of veteran set-up man Garrett Festerling and rookie phenom Jordan Eberle, who leads the Pats with 20 goals.

"(MacAngus) is the Ryan Smyth of the line," said Parker.