PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Swing

chiefs20167
01-20-2007, 10:01 PM
What's going on with the Chiefs right now? It hasn't been a productive roadswing so far. Last night and tonight they played well and were in the running to win the games.

Any thoughts from anyone?

Jimmypop316
01-20-2007, 10:33 PM
All i saw was one period of effort tonight.

Its like they are playing down to the level of the teams they are playing against. Armstrong once again stood on his head and kept the team in this.

LifelongChiefsFan
01-21-2007, 12:25 AM
Armstrong has been great in the 2 games so far. Too bad you can't say the same for the rest of the team. The Chiefs didn't play too badly at Brandon though, Plante had one of those games that every goalie seems to have a couple times a year where the Chiefs could have had 100 shots and they probably wouldn't have scored. He was lights out for Brandon, you've got to hand it to him there.

I really thought the Chiefs were going to come out and take it to a young Moose Jaw team tonight considering how they didn't get any breaks in the Brandon game. Instead the Chiefs proved they still have alot of maturing to do. A loss to one of the worst teams in the league is obviously not what this team needed. The powerplay has been ice cold lately, I'm not really sure what happened to it. I am hoping for a turnaround the rest of the trip, but it's been a trend the last few years for the Chiefs to play pretty poorly after the trade deadline. There's still alot of season left, but as of right now the Chiefs seem destined for the 4th spot in the division and a playoff date against the best team in junior hockey. But on the bright side at least we have Portland in the division so Spokane is guaranteed of making the playoffs this year!

Here's hoping for a solid 60 minute effort against Regina tomorrow night.

HAF
01-21-2007, 02:58 AM
. There's still alot of season left, but as of right now the Chiefs seem destined for the 4th spot in the division and a playoff date against the best team in junior hockey. But on the bright side at least we have Portland in the division so Spokane is guaranteed of making the playoffs this year!

Here's hoping for a solid 60 minute effort against Regina tomorrow night.

Atleast if you finish fourth you get to play the Tips in round 1. You guys seem to have thier number this year. Besides, if you guys knock them out in the forst round that means the Ams dont have to face them...lol

Fight Guy
01-22-2007, 12:18 AM
Here's hoping for a solid 60 minute effort against Regina tomorrow night.Eeeee...well...:p...they didn't do it. Pretty entertaining game, and out played the Pats for the first half or so of the first, then the Pats picked it up and played very well. That Rutherford you guys got is pretty brave for his size. He was pulling some pretty dirty stuff. Seemed to dissipate after Stoesz had a word with him and was then put on a lot of the time Rutherford was on. Reich wanted a piece of him pretty bad. I noticed your team is quite small as well. I dont know if the team didnt play good, but honestly, the Pats looked really good tonight, so I cant judge on how well the Chiefs played. But the trip got longer for them after tonight.

Jimmypop316
01-22-2007, 02:23 PM
The only close to a solid period I've seen so far was the first in Moose Jaw. and that was pretty much it.

Hopefully they can get their stuff together for the tuesday night matchup because if they lose tomorrow the trip will be pretty much a disaster as they can only pull two wins out at best from the trip.

Lets try and get 500!!

LifelongChiefsFan
01-24-2007, 09:34 PM
Well the Chiefs continue to play terrible hockey. But at least they got the win tonight. It's pretty bad that Hobson played his first game in 2 months and he was Spokane's best player tonight (aside from Armstrong who has been terrific on the trip). Maybe just getting a win is something this team needed to get things turned around, I guess we will find out by the type of effort the Chiefs give against Swift Current on Friday. A win there would be really nice (as would an upset in Kootenay, but I'm not counting on that one).

GBG BLEED BLUE
01-24-2007, 11:00 PM
The Chiefs had a 3-0 lead tonight on the Blades and gave up two goals to make it a close game,but the Cheifs still won,Man oh how I mis Kevin Armstrong and to boot we gave up Jim Watt(who does not even play in the WHL anymore) Evan Haw played an ok game,but the one player I wish was still in a Blades uniform is Army,Grabner played awesome against the Blades too.

Colton Gillies ran into Armstrong and then Lenoski came to Army's defence so they dropped em(that there is proof that his gloves are not sewn on)(Dannobram) sure it was not a typical fight but it was a fight.

howley
01-25-2007, 01:53 PM
Cheifs came hard out of the gate...with that the Blades came out looking like they had gone on a big bender the night before. The contrast made the Cheifs look like they were flying! 3/4 of the first period was dominated by the Chiefs with the Blades picking it up with about 7 mins left. Grabner picked up the first goal of the game. Flying down the left side. He caught Brett Ward flat footed and blew past him for a partial break. Put it between the pads of Zemlak to make it 1-0 Chiefs. He showed speed that I haven't seen to often in the dub. Maybe Ward was just really slow?

Goal number two came from former Chief, Joe Logan, who had one of the worst games of his year so far. He came out of his own corner looking up the middle and threw the puck up between the pies right onto Derek Ryan's stick who was sitting in the high slot. He ripped one low blocker side to make it 2-0.

Goal number 3 started just outside the Blades blueline. ? carried the puck up on Logan's side. I don't even really know how to explain what happened. Logan stopped skating and took a swipe at the puck. ? danced around Logan to make it a 2-1. Hobson snapped it low blocker side on Zemlak again to make it 3-0. Logan came off the ice and immediately Trumbley told him to take the body. It was a play you see in atom or pee wee. Then you learn to take the body. Very bad play.

Blades scored two shorties on a double minor. Chiefs d-men kept coming up to take the back door pass. Puck would bounce out to either Menei or Mccrae and both times made it a 2-1. Menei scored his on the short side (glove side) and Mccrae wired a beautiful shot off the post (blocker side) about 2 mins apart. The Chiefs looked like they were just faster then the Blades tonight.

Finally Jared Cowen.
15 years old and how big! I was amazed with this kid. Showed a ton of composure, smart with the puck, good skater and seems to already have the confidence of the team as he was out there with 1 min remaining in the game. He took a regular shift. It appeared that he played more mins then Haw did tonight if that means anything. Cowen is definitely going to be, as Pierre Maguire would say, "special."

The only knock on the Chiefs on this night was the lack of physical play. They seemed to just take the hits and not dish to many out at all.

Ryan had a good game, picked up 1st star with a goal and an assist.
Haw had an ok game. No huge bone head plays. ( I was watching for them )
Bowman had his moments
I only noticed Wahl on the PP. The rest of the game he was invisible.

Fight Recap - Gillies vs Lenoski

I know you've all been dying to here about this one!
Gillies was coming in hard as Armstrong was playing it behind the net. Gillies lost his balance abit and went into Armstrong (goaltender interference). From there it just looked like 2 mins and that was it. Lenoski came about 10 seconds later and gave Gillies a big hug (didn't drop the gloves). So Gillies dropped his, then Lenoski dropped his (all while they were hugging). Then they started hugging while going in a circle. Then Gillies must of squeezed so hard that Lenoski lost his balance and ended up on his back. Each received 5 because the gloves came off. Gillies got 2 for interference. There was question on why Lenoski did not get the instigator cause he came over and hugged first. It was decided he didn't receive the extra 2 and 10 because he didn't drop his gloves. It was the right call I think. The word fight would be a very loose description of this tussle. Winner : David Rutherfod cause I think he actually through a punch somewhere down the ice during the Gillies vs Lenoski heavyweight bout.