PDA

View Full Version : Giants 4 @ Rockets 1 Jan 20th

Beaner
01-21-2007, 12:01 AM
Listened to the game tonight and it didnt sound as intense as the game last night vs Everett but still a good game from the sounds of it. Giants got into a lot of 3rd period penalty trouble, but the PK stood tall and killed off 4 straight PP's in the third.

Both goalies played very well from the radio call, one has to wonder if Neufeld has started to earn a bit more playing time, considering Sexsmiths' play as of late.

NOTES
Neufeld and Westbloom got the starts
Cunningham, Bouma and Regner were the Giants scratches
Shots 31-25 Giants
PP's Giants 2/5 rockets 1/9

GOALS
2. KEL Breitkreuz, (5) (MacRae), 4:38 (PP) 5-4, Blum deflects the MacRae shot and Breitkreuz gets the loose puck and he buries it.
2. VAN Festerling, (5) (Rabbit, Blum), 6:59 (PP) 5-4, rabbit with the cross zone feed to Festerling and he puts it home from the open side.
2. VAN Machacek, (11) (Rabbit, Franson), 15:31 (PP) 5-4, Machacek all alone in front of the net and once again its Rabbit feeding the open man.
3. VAN Watt, (21) (Hunt, Festerling), 15:35 Watt fromt he circle blasts home a wicked shot that beats Westbloom
3. VAN Watt, (22) , 18:20 (EN) Watt from just over center and he puts it in the open cage.

FISTICUFFS

Lucic vs McEwan
From the radio called sounded like Lucic got the better of mcEwan in this scrap at the end of the game as he caught mcEwan with a couple uppercuts and gets the take down as well. WIN LUCIC.

OFFICIATING
Agar and Poole tonight.

3 STARS
1. VAN - 16 Wacey Rabbit
2. VAN - 6 Cody Franson
3. KEL - 15 Brandon McMillan

rinkrat
01-21-2007, 01:20 AM
one has to wonder if Neufeld has started to earn a bit more playing time, considering Sexsmiths' play as of late.

I was wondering the same thing,I could easily see Blaine take over,he looks solid and could steal games.

Swando
01-21-2007, 02:12 AM
Your posts have my same concerns.. I truly think that Sexsmith is burnt out with the traveling across the country. The way Neufeld played tonight he deserves the start tonight in Vancouver BUT it won't happen. You can't mess with your # 1 goalies' head. NOW IF SEXSMITH STINKS OUT THE GAME ...... I think you'll see Neufeld start the next game and if he wins , Hay will go with him.. Just my thot as I am pissed off with the Goalie situataion.

Feb 20 --Brule can not return? after this? Fill us in the the details.

Kassian
01-21-2007, 03:57 AM
Feb 20 --Brule can not return? after this? Fill us in the the details.

I believe it was February 27th, which would be the NHL trade deadline. He won't be able to return to the Giants if Columbus keeps him past that date.

Knuckles Muldoon
01-21-2007, 12:44 PM
I was wondering the same thing,I could easily see Blaine take over,he looks solid and could steal games.
This is exactly why it was important to have a solid (but unspectacular) vet to backup Sexy. If Sexy doesn't keep it together, there's still a good chance that with a good defense, the Giants could throw Neufeld in there and get solid 'tending. I'm thinking that Hayzer needed a viable Plan B, and Neufeld is proving that he can win some games here. In other words, the Giants are not bound to keep starting Sexy if he falters.
As for the game, it was okay. A decent workman-like effort but hardly a dominant performance against a fairly weak team. Is anybody else getting concerned that the Giants can beat (but not dominate) weaker teams, and then not be able to beat the better teams around (Kam-Eve-MH-Koot)? There is an uncomfortable pattern at work here. Sure, the team will need several weeks to get everyone on the same page, but continuing to be ineffective against Kamloops and Everett only feeds the fire of those teams in anticipation of playoff matchups. A solid win today against the Tips will definitely go a long ways in answering some questions.
And how about McArdle's interview last night between periods? You have to admit it, the kid's got character and jam. I would imagine kids in a similar situation would decline the chance to speak on TV, but KMac doesn't seem at all hesitant to get in there. Gotta love 'im. :thumb:

Section_Z
01-21-2007, 12:51 PM
Since the Lethbridge game, The boys have been playing one and one...Maybe Hay is comfortable enough with Neufeld now to go back to the old system...

rinkrat
01-21-2007, 12:51 PM
And how about McArdle's interview last night between periods? You have to admit it, the kid's got character and jam. I would imagine kids in a similar situation would decline the chance to speak on TV, but KMac doesn't seem at all hesitant to get in there. Gotta love 'im. :thumb:

I'm starting to become a real fan of McArdle,I really like the fact that he didn't whine about not playing much at the world Juniors,his fight with Guitterez and that interview last night.Plus his skating and hits he throws.The kid has heart!

Beaner
01-21-2007, 01:06 PM
I'm starting to become a real fan of McArdle,I really like the fact that he didn't whine about not playing much at the world Juniors,his fight with Guitterez and that interview last night.Plus his skating and hits he throws.The kid has heart!

He has heart but I really want to start seeing him start putting the biscuit in the net.

We got him here to score, time to step up and start scoring.

Kassian
01-21-2007, 03:14 PM
He has heart but I really want to start seeing him start putting the biscuit in the net.

Agreed. He needs to for the Giants to have any chance of going deep into the playoffs. That being said I loved how he played in Everett. He hasn't shown that up until then since being traded here and it was great to see.

Tipped Off
01-21-2007, 04:33 PM
You loved how he played in Everett? You two are saying two completely different things. McArdle wasn't looking to score at all against Everett. He was more intent on yapping and pesturing and getting in the Tips heads. I thought that's what you guys got Wuchterl for? MCArdle was brought in for you guys to score. IF you like the way he played against Everett, that's fine, but he won't be scoring much playing that type of game. The ONLY times you noticed him in that game were laying some hits, yapping after the whistle or going to the box. Which is a perfectly exciting player, that's for sure, but if you're looking for him to score, that's not the game you want him playing.

Kassian
01-22-2007, 12:09 AM
You loved how he played in Everett? You two are saying two completely different things. McArdle wasn't looking to score at all against Everett. He was more intent on yapping and pesturing and getting in the Tips heads.

Exactly. He hasn't shown any of that yet since being acquired. And if he isn't scoring he'd better at least play physical. Obviously when everything is said and done he needs to score for the Giants to be successful.