PDA

View Full Version : Gilbert Brule

Swando
01-21-2007, 02:27 AM
For what ever reason Gilbert Brule was brought up tonight on the Shaw TV. I thought he was dead in the water as far as ever being a Vancouver Giant. I now hear that Feb 20 (?) is the final date that a NHL team can send a player back..... to where?? in GB's case he can not go to the AHL. He's minus 24 and sitting out and not scoring.. According to the Shaw telecasters it's up to the CBJ GM

Kassian
01-21-2007, 04:00 AM
Brule can still be sent back to the Giants up until the NHL trade deadline. Russell mentioned Brule earlier this week saying how some "source" told him there's a chance Brule will be sent back. Although during the game he said how he wouldn't expect it to happen.

Either way I wouldn't get my hopes up but until the end of February there is still a slim chance of him returning to the Giants.

Rsthelen
01-21-2007, 04:31 AM
will never make it in the big show .... not as a HUGE name .. nothing like his JR days ..... he may play but I dont see him any better then maybe MAYBE 3rd line ..... he may be a top notch ahl player .... someday.

Kristi
01-21-2007, 11:26 AM
So if he does get sent back........who sits? Do you think that's really fair to a player who has been playing all season all of a sudden having to sit out because Brule comes back?

Just wondering your thoughts on that!

SectionNDeserter
01-21-2007, 11:51 AM
If Brule does get sent back, the player who sits, will sit and like it whether it is fair or not. (Unless of course that player has been drafted in the first round of the NHL entry draft, and has spent parts of the last 2 seasons in the NHL as well).

fightstrap50
01-21-2007, 12:22 PM
I thought that once a p[layer plays 10 or more games in the NHL he is no longer eligable to return to juniors. Dan Blackburn never returrned on that rule. Brule isnt old enough to play AHL though so whats the deal.

How frigging fair is it to every other team for one team to get a guy back after trdae deadline in our league, that has been playiong NHL hockey and developing in the big show as compared to all the junior players.

If Brule is sent back now or is able to play again in the WHL, that is BS!!!

he is now a pro hockey player and doesnt belong here anymore. tuff ***** giants

Knuckles Muldoon
01-21-2007, 12:26 PM
So if he does get sent back........who sits? Do you think that's really fair to a player who has been playing all season all of a sudden having to sit out because Brule comes back?

Just wondering your thoughts on that!
Well dear, the Giants flushed Jason Reese, Kyle Lamb, John Flatters and Kenton Dulle to try to win it all. If they have to park a 16 yo in the press box to further their chances, they'll do it and think nothing of it. If Brule (or even Daniel Bertram) had been here this year, that same 16 yo wouldn't have been here anyway.
I think the chances of Brule now returning to the Giants are about 10%.

SectionNDeserter
01-21-2007, 12:35 PM
Once the player plays more than 10 games in the NHL, they are still eligible to return to Juniors, they just have to pay the player their full NHL salary while they are there (In Brule's case is 3/4 of a million dollars as I recall). The Blue Jackets are in a bit of a pickle now, if they keep him up with the big club, his confidence will suffer as he sets a new NHL record for having a bad +/-, if they send him back to junior his development will take a step backwards and he may not become the player that they forsee him becoming.

Beaner
01-21-2007, 01:00 PM
I thought that once a p[layer plays 10 or more games in the NHL he is no longer eligable to return to juniors. Dan Blackburn never returrned on that rule. Brule isnt old enough to play AHL though so whats the deal.

How frigging fair is it to every other team for one team to get a guy back after trdae deadline in our league, that has been playiong NHL hockey and developing in the big show as compared to all the junior players.

If Brule is sent back now or is able to play again in the WHL, that is BS!!!

he is now a pro hockey player and doesnt belong here anymore. tuff ***** giants

It's not fair at all.

However, it isnt a trade since Brule is still on the Giants 50ppl. So like any other player on that list he can be added to the lineup.

I still don't see this happening, it gains nothing for Columbus or Brule.

As to Brules +/-, take a look at the entire teams +/-. They all suck. The best +/- rating on the entire team is a whopping +3. Zherdev is -17, Nash is -8 and Federov is -6. Face it the Blue jackets suck this year.

If the Blue jackets management was smart, they would have sent Brule back before game 40 this year and then they would have been able to extend his free agency eligibility. They still would have been on the hook for his salary for this year, but losing a year of his FA reguirement to sit most games is idiotic. With what they have done now, Brule will be a UFA in 6 seasons. If McLean sends him back after the 40 game mark he will look like an even bigger incompetent fool, then he already appears to be.

I dont see this happening at all, unless McLean gets fired before the deadline.

Knuckles Muldoon
01-21-2007, 01:07 PM
It's not fair at all.

However, it isnt a trade since Brule is still on the Giants 50ppl. So like any other player on that list he can be added to the lineup.

I still don't see this happening, it gains nothing for Columbus or Brule.

As to Brules +/-, take a look at the entire teams +/-. They all suck. The best +/- rating on the entire team is a whopping +3. Zherdev is -17, Nash is -8 and Federov is -6. Face it the Blue jackets suck this year.

If the Blue jackets management was smart, they would have sent Brule back before game 40 this year and then they would have been able to extend his free agency eligibility. They still would have been on the hook for his salary for this year, but losing a year of his FA reguirement to sit most games is idiotic. With what they have done now, Brule will be a UFA in 6 seasons. If McLean sends him back after the 40 game mark he will look like an even bigger incompetent fool, then he already appears to be.

I dont see this happening at all, unless McLean gets fired before the deadline.
The really important question is: Is Brule accomplishing anything this year? Is he learning anything? Despite his poor numbers, if he's learning and progressing in an area or two, then its worth CBJ keeping him for the full season. But if he's moping around because he's not contributing while his numbers continue to slide, then you might think about sending him back to the Giants to prop up his confidence. It really depends on GB's mindset as to what is best for him for the remainder of this year. Something positive needs to come out of this year for the young man, be it in Columbus or Vancouver.

Section_Z
01-21-2007, 01:13 PM
It's funny, he hasn't really sat many games this year...just a lot of sitting on the bench. I think Columbus will keep him.

Beaner
01-21-2007, 01:14 PM
The really important question is: Is Brule accomplishing anything this year? Is he learning anything? Despite his poor numbers, if he's learning and progressing in an area or two, then its worth CBJ keeping him for the full season. But if he's moping around because he's not contributing while his numbers continue to slide, then you might think about sending him back to the Giants to prop up his confidence. It really depends on GB's mindset as to what is best for him for the remainder of this year. Something positive needs to come out of this year for the young man, be it in Columbus or Vancouver.

Thats a good point, and I agree.

However McLean I dont think cares. McLean from what I can tell thru interviews and press articles only cares about McLean, and is more worried about admitting he made a mistake by keeping Brule up, then doing what is right for Brule and the Blue Jackets.

McLean has been adament all year that Brule will not be back to JR this year. Thats since the MC last year. I dont see him backing down at all.

Thus the only way I see it happening is if McLean gets fired, they hand the GM job to Hitchcock, and Hitch convinces Brule the best thing for him is to go back to junior and kick some ass and come back next year.

Knuckles Muldoon
01-21-2007, 01:23 PM
Thats a good point, and I agree.

However McLean I dont think cares. McLean from what I can tell thru interviews and press articles only cares about McLean, and is more worried about admitting he made a mistake by keeping Brule up, then doing what is right for Brule and the Blue Jackets.

McLean has been adament all year that Brule will not be back to JR this year. Thats since the MC last year. I dont see him backing down at all.

Thus the only way I see it happening is if McLean gets fired, they hand the GM job to Hitchcock, and Hitch convinces Brule the best thing for him is to go back to junior and kick some ass and come back next year.
Yes, I can hear McLean's obstinence in the interviews, too. But at the same time, I don't think he anticipated GB having such a poor year in Columbus this season. He must be taken back by the subpar performance of Brule. As well, I think that at deadline time, Hitchcock may pipe up and suggest that GB be sent back to Vancouver for some rehabilitation of his career. That's where my 10% theory comes in. If left solely to McLean's judgement, there is 0%, IMO.
At any rate, he better not be sent back before Jan.30, because I've got club seats for the Canuck-CBJ game that night and I would love to see GB have a breakout game of sorts. *he prays*

nelson951
01-21-2007, 01:46 PM
Do you Giant fans want to win the Memorial Cup or not? Brule may be that boost to get past the Tips haha

Beaner
01-21-2007, 11:49 PM
Do you Giant fans want to win the Memorial Cup or not? Brule may be that boost to get past the Tips haha

Unfortunatley its not our call.

Maybe Seattle can do us a favor and just eliminate the Tips in round one?

Theres an ice cold beer in it for you if you do. :clap:

nivek_wahs
01-30-2007, 05:43 AM
http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/sports/story.html?id=128cc18b-50c1-4943-bed0-1a6f6acae97f

Brule riding out a storm
Minus-20 rating gaudy but Blue Jackets expect the best

Ben Kuzma, The Province
Published: Tuesday, January 30, 2007

It sticks out like a sore thumb.

Gilbert Brule's minus-20 rating is among the league's worst and a numbing reminder of the steep learning curve for NHL rookies.

However, it's a process the Columbus Blue Jackets are willing to endure because the rating doesn't reflect the true potential of the North Vancouver minor hockey product who turned 20 on Jan. 1.

"I'm not reading too much into that [rating] because he's picking up things quickly," said Ken Hitchcock, who's 15-12-3 since becoming the Blue Jackets bench boss Nov. 22.

"We're not afraid to play him. He's much better from the red line back than he was a month ago, and he's learning to play that game on the job. You're going to have to put up with that." Even though the former Vancouver Giants star has but nine points (4-5) in 9:47 of average playing time through 46 games, Hitchcock is buoyed by Brule's work ethic.

The 5-foot-10, 180-pound centre/winger is willing to initiate or take a hit to make a play and is patient in scoring situations.

"It kind of gets you excited about the future of where he's going to be as a player," said Hitchcock.

For Brule, the plaudits don't mask the disappointment of his roller-coaster season. When he sees what 19-year-olds are accomplishing -- Sidney Crosby has 78 points and rookie Anze Kopitar 44 -- it's easy to lose perspective.

"I don't look at their stats too much and I don't look at mine, because they're not great," Brule joked before practice Monday for tonight's meeting with the Vancouver Canucks.

Brule had four points in seven NHL games last season. He missed 18 games with a fractured sternum and another 21 with a broken leg before returning to the Giants, where he had 23 goals in 27 games.

Even though this season's was his second NHL camp, he went pointless in the preseason and scored just once in his first 20 games.

"I knew it wasn't going to be easy and I'm not going to go out every night and get two or three points like I would in junior," said Brule. "Here, it's really different. You have to play a total team game and you might get one scoring chance and you have to bury it." A healthier roster and wins over Detroit, Buffalo and Minnesota have fueled hope that the Jackets can push for a playoff spot, even though they're 11 points out of eighth.

"We're making it easier on ourselves because we're not chasing the game and it's given us more offence from it," said Hitchcock, who made the minus-17 Nikolai Zherdev a healthy scratch in a 3-1 win over Detroit on Jan. 19.

Where Anson Carter will be playing at the Feb. 27 trade deadline is in question. The Jackets have talked extension but not salary figures.

Carter, 32, will be an unrestricted free agent July 1 and GM Doug MacLean could dangle the $2.5-million-US winger as a rental player.

"He might," said the former Canuck, who has 22 points in 43 games. "If Columbus was a place I didn't want to be and wasn't having any fun, it would be a different situation."

© The Vancouver Province 2007

nivek_wahs
01-30-2007, 05:47 AM
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/sports/story.html?id=9a508913-7ded-4406-bd21-981593daaad5&k=45293

Jacket(s) doesn't fit for struggling rookie Brule

Elliott Pap, Vancouver Sun
Published: Tuesday, January 30, 2007

NEXT GAME
Tonight vs Columbus
Blue Jackets 7 p.m.
at GM Place
PPV/TEAM
- - -

One season ago, Columbus Blue Jackets forward Gilbert Brule suffered through two serious injuries -- a broken leg and fractured sternum -- before he was sent back to the Vancouver Giants.

This season, the only thing hurting is his pride. Brule is not enjoying the success he or the Jackets expected after his outstanding 2006 junior playoff run. If anyone looked NHL ready, it was the kid from North Vancouver.

Things have gone sideways on Brule, however, and his numbers are dreadful compared with the league's other teenage players. After 46 games, the just-turned 20-year-old Brule has nine points and is minus-20.

"I don't look at the other guys' stats too much, I don't even look at mine too much because mine aren't that great," Brule said Monday as Columbus prepared for tonight's date with the Canucks. "It's tough the way it's going for me, but I'm happy to be playing for this team. It's my dream come true to be in the NHL."

The dream obviously didn't include a minus-20 and average ice time of just 9:47. But life in the bigs doesn't usually come easy, even though fellow teens Sidney Crosby, Anze Kopitar, Jordan Staal and Guillaume Latendresse are making it look that way.

"I think everyone expected a lot of things out of Gilbert this year, but people should remember he's only 19 and this is a man's league," said Columbus forward Anson Carter, the popular ex-Canuck. "It's very rare that you have a guy coming into the league on fire at 18, 19 or 20."

"It takes time. Take a look at Danny and Hank [Sedin]. They are perfect examples," Carter continued. "Gilbert works hard and whenever you have a guy like that who's going through tough times, you definitely reach out to him."

Brule admits he knew he wasn't going to dominate games in the same manner he did as a junior. Scoring chances are rare at the NHL level, especially when you're seeing the ice less than 10 minutes per night.

"Here it's totally different than junior," Brule explained. "You have to play a total team game. You might get one chance a game, or not even one, so you have to bury them. I knew it wasn't going to be easy because it's the NHL. I'm not going to go out every night and get two or three points like maybe I did in junior."

Blue Jackets coach Ken Hitchcock, who assumed the reins 30 games ago, adores Brule's competitive nature. Now he wants him to play better without the puck.

In the NHL, you are usually punished for your mistakes, and the Jackets can't afford many more in their fading hopes for a playoff spot. Columbus sits 13th in the Western Conference, 11 points behind the last spot held by expansion cousin Minnesota.

"Gilbert's minus-20 -- that's a learning curve," Hitchcock said. "You're going to have to put up with that. I think it tells you two things -- first, just how good the National Hockey League is and, second, there is a whole different level in the second half when you come back from either the Christmas break or the all-star break.

"Gilbert is learning how to play the game when the other team has the puck," added Hitchcock. "He's much better today, as we speak, from the red line back than he was a month ago. I think he's learning and really picking things up quickly."

Brule would like to be picking up points quickly, too. Maybe then he could look at his stats again.

epap@png.canwest.com

ONLINE EXTRA

For team-by-team player statistics, go to: www.vancouversun.com

© The Vancouver Sun 2007

dondo
01-30-2007, 03:01 PM
Thanks for posting those nivek_wahs

I don't see the CBJ sending him back down, but then I really don't think he should have been in the NHL out of the draft either. To compare Brule's production to guys like Crosby, etc is ridiculous because Gilbert is getting fourth line minutes, where-as the other guys are getting quality minutes with quality team-mates.

Brule was asked to put on pounds and bulk up for the NHL game, as far as I have heard and that is probably one of the things slowing him down. Recovering from the two freaky injuries last year didn't help either.

Obviously I am disappointed in Brule's production, but I more disappointed that McLean did not decide to send him back to junior earlier on at least prior to the 40 games. He's still only 19 so I don't see what the rush was to bring him up -- McLean could very well have destroyed his confidence and playing that few of minutes doesn't develop any player who has the potential to be a high quality player in the NHL.

The real positive that I see right now is that Hitchcock is the kind of coach who rewards work ethic and commitment and no one can ever accuse Brule of not having those in spades.

Brule should have stayed with his junior team, especially considering they were Memorial Cup hosts - imo - but now's too late to send him back as CBJ has already lost all that would have been advantageous to them. I think they should trade him to the Canucks and be done with it ;) nhl :D

old_time_hockey
01-30-2007, 04:00 PM
I think they should trade him to the Canucks and be done with it ;) nhl :D

I will second that motion. Bulis and a bag of pucks for Brule.

Priceisright
01-30-2007, 05:16 PM
Unfortunatley its not our call.

Maybe Seattle can do us a favor and just eliminate the Tips in round one?

Theres an ice cold beer in it for you if you do. :clap:

Yes and 5% alcohol. Boogaard'd

dondo
01-30-2007, 07:34 PM
Yes and 5% alcohol. Boogaard'd

^ you get used to it :D ;)

nivek_wahs
02-01-2007, 12:48 AM
Here's an "opinion" piece (blog) from Craig MacEwen from Sportsnet.ca...http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs/craig_macewen/2007/01/31/post/

January 31, 2007
Bring back Brule

It's not all that unusual to see autograph hounds hanging around GM Place on a game day, especially when the team that's in town to face the Canucks has some local ties.

But this group wasn't looking to sucker in some poor sap with the old "Can you please sign this for my dying nephew" and then turn around and hawk that same item on e-bay for a couple hundred bucks.

No, these guys were bigger than that --- Giants in fact. Not the friendly giant or jolly green one!

Real live Giants, Vancouver junior G-men.

Their mission: to try and persuade Columbus Bluejacket forward Gilbert Brule to join them again for another run at the Memorial Cup.

Okay, so officially they wouldn't go on the record and say that -- G-men are always a little secretive about their business. But deep down, you know Don Hay and company would love to get their sniper back -- seeing as how the Giants are playing host to junior hockey's final four in May.

Quite frankly, I don't see why Columbus GM Doug Maclean doesn't send Brule home. No offence Gilbert, but its not as if you're lighting it up in the NHL. Nine points in 46 games and minus-20! Ouch!

I know, stats are for losers, and according to Hitch, Brule is starting to find his way. But really, averaging just under 10 minutes of ice time a game in the NHL isn't going to help him all that much.

Want a confidence booster? How about 20 minutes of ice time, scoring 30 some goals and then hoisting Junior hockey's holy grail.

A step back you say? No way! It isn't as if Brule is going to see any postseason action with the Blue Jackets! If he stays with Columbus, the only thing that will improve this spring is his golf game.

Yes, the Columbus crew is still on the hook for his salary, but so what. Just look at the money they're wasting on Sergei Fedorov.

It's not too late to do the right thing D-Mac. You can still ship Brule back to junior before the NHL trade deadline in February. Another championship run would do wonders for his confidence and character.

So good on you junior G-men; let's hope your meeting with Gilbert went well, and soon you'll all be ducking autograph hounds together at the PNE.

Swando
02-01-2007, 01:38 AM
I spoke with Bonner between periods during the Portland game and I posed this question to him " Is there any way Brule will be coming back?" His reply was this.." If the Blue Jackets tank then they will probably dump more of their older players leaving more ice time for guys like GB. He didn't say anything in regards to if the BJ's kept winning. In closing he did say this " If he does not return it's not if we haven't put our 3 cents in this past 2 weeks!!
Meaning they are striving for his return.

Soundy
02-01-2007, 01:47 AM
His reply was this.." If the Blue Jackets tank..."

IF! :spineyes::turkey::laugh:

And of course, the Canucks rumor mills are buzzing with talk of the team trying to get Anson Carter back after this season... shya... right... and monkeys could fly outta my butt! Sure he scored a lot more with the Sedins... they could put FIN on a line with the Twins and he'd get more goals than Carter has this year *ROFL*

dondo
02-01-2007, 02:03 AM
Brule got an assist tonight and really nice one as well. A beauty pass from behind the goal line to Svitov, playing with Svitov and Fritsche.