PDA

View Full Version : Slade Article

Section_Z
01-21-2007, 04:04 PM
From Kamloops This Week...
Man this guy slays me...$100,000 "transfer fee"....

By RICK WILE
Jan 14 2007

The old saying that “fame is fleeting” is magnified this week as I think about the plight of, and catch up with, Dustin Slade, the 20-year-old former Kamloops Blazer who left the Vancouver Giants in November to help even the playing field in the Western Hockey League’s B.C. Division.

A year ago, he was in the middle of the Giants’ run to the Memorial Cup party, registering 17 shutouts in the WHL regular season and playoffs.

Today. he is a jack-of-all-trades for his father, Dennis Slade, who is laid up with a torn Achilles tendon and has his son doing odd jobs at the residential properties he manages.

The younger Slade would much rather be stopping pucks and forging a pro career, but the hockey side of life hasn’t been good for the theatrically gifted but effective goaltender since he made a career decision to leave the Giants following his last start against Seattle on Nov. 15 to pursue opportunities in professional hockey.

There have been between 15 and 20 calls, according to father and son, after leaving player agent Gerry Johanson and handing things over to a family friend familiar with the hockey world.

There seemingly have been as many roadblocks, which they hope will soon be removed to allow the 20-year-old goaltender to get on with his life.

When he left the Giants, he was placed on the suspension list indefinitely, which freed up a roster spot for the team.

That’s where he has been ever since, and he claims his status has prevented him from moving on.

Slade claims he has been shut out from playing pro hockey in North America because of a $100,00 transfer fee, and in Europe because of a $200,000 fee.

When he thought about returning to junior hockey, Slade was denied the chance to join the Royal Bank Cup host, the junior A Prince George Spruce Kings, because of a Dec. 1 deadline for teams to acquire WHL players, a new rule instituted by B.C. Hockey League president John Grisdale.

There are claims that teams in the Alberta Junior Hockey League were told to stay away from Slade because he is a suspended player.

He apparently found that out after enrolling in college in Grand Prairie with an eye toward playing for the AJHL’s Storm.

Rick Doerksen, the WHL’s vice-president of hockey, went on the record, saying there are no transfer fees and that Hockey Canada views Slade as being free to play professionally anywhere internationally.

Doerksen added that if Slade’s pro prospects evaporate, he could play junior A with any team that has an open Hockey Canada card until the signing deadline of Feb. 10.

As for the WHL, Doerksen said he is “in the process” of taking care of Slade’s “situation” with the family representative.

Slade’s days of playing in the WHL appear to be over, witnessed by the fact the Giants now have three 20-year-olds and, the fact no teams traded for him at this past week’s deadline.

However, what if he’s signed as a free agent and Vancouver gets nothing for him?

Makes you wonder if the league suspension is a safety net for the team, player be damned, and serves to make an example of a player who, in the league’s eyes, broke his contract.

The point has been well made. Further retribution would be immature.

Slade has youth as an excuse for his immaturity, but it has cost him as he has gone from all to nothing in a year.

He doesn’t want any pity. He just wants to play.

Rick Wile is sports

director of Radio ’NL

scrunt
01-21-2007, 04:35 PM
Maybe the "transfer fee" is the fee Slade tries to charge whichever team wants to take him on. :skeptical

scamperdog
01-21-2007, 04:44 PM
Slade was in town last week practising with the Kamloops Storm "junior B" at that time he said he was about to sign a contract somewhere, but then again he has been about to sign "somewhere" for along time, and somehow I don't see that happening

Section_Z
01-23-2007, 07:11 PM
Another article, this one from the Penticton Herald
although a few days old...

Attention turns to Spruce Kings
By David Crompton
Wednesday, January 10, 2007, 12:01 AM

If there is significant player movement at today’s B.C. Hockey League trade deadline, the Prince George Spruce Kings will likely be a big part of it.
Prince George has five open cards left to sign players, they’re hosting this year’s Royal Bank Cup national junior A championship, and head coach and general manager Ed Dempsey isn’t denying they’re looking to bolster their lineup.
“We’re looking to make a couple of moves for sure,” said Dempsey.
“We’re still looking for a goaltender and also maybe a couple of forwards and/or defencemen. Keeping the five cards gives us some leeway.”
The trade deadline arrives today at 6 p.m. with teams having to declare a roster of players (and cards) adding up to 23. Further deals can be made before Feb. 10, but very few impact moves are ever made after Jan. 10.
Dempsey was hoping to land Penticton’s Dustin Slade, a 20-year-old goalie who led Vancouver to the Western Hockey League championship last year. However, the BCHL doesn’t allow teams to sign 20-year-olds from higher levels of hockey unless they’re signed to a card before Dec. 1.
Dempsey still tried hard to sign Slade, whose BCHL rights are owned by Surrey.
“The bottom line is, it’s tough to fight city hall,” said Dempsey.
“It doesn’t matter what we think. We’ve got to look to Plan B. There are goalies out there, we’ve just got to find the right fit.”
Dempsey believes Slade may end up playing for Grande Prairie of the Alberta league.
“Dustin has got quite a few options, but Grande Prairie is the frontrunner . . . they’ve got a very good team, they just need a quality goalie.”

Section_Z
01-23-2007, 07:17 PM
Interesting part about the suspension here....

Eagles quiet as Jan. 10 trade deadline passes

Michael Booth

Thanks to circumstances beyond their control, the annual Jan. 10 junior hockey trade deadline swap meet turned into a quiet afternoon for the Surrey Eagles.

Eagles general manager Rick Hillier had been expected to make some noise at the deadline thanks to Surrey holding the junior A playing rights to goaltender Dustin Slade. The talented puck stopper played for Surrey in 2004-05 before moving on to the Vancouver Giants of the Western Hockey League.

Slade left the Giants earlier this season and, if the WHL club was unable or unwilling to move him at the trade deadline, Hillier and the Eagles were poised to send him to a junior A contender in exchange for some valuable assets.

Those plans were thwarted Wednesday when the Giants opted to suspend Slade for the remainder of the season, effectively making him untouchable anywhere west of the Ontario/Manitoba border.

"We have a four western province agreement where apparently we have to uphold the Western Hockey League's suspensions," said a frustrated Hillier, who found out about the Giants' move at 2 p.m. on deadline day.

"I don't agree with that, but there's nothing I can do about it. We had lots of offers for him. We had a deal in place with Grande Prairie but hey, that's the way it goes. The situation is out of my control and I can't worry about it."

GF71
01-24-2007, 02:01 AM
Interesting part about the suspension here....

Eagles quiet as Jan. 10 trade deadline passes

Michael Booth

Thanks to circumstances beyond their control, the annual Jan. 10 junior hockey trade deadline swap meet turned into a quiet afternoon for the Surrey Eagles.

Eagles general manager Rick Hillier had been expected to make some noise at the deadline thanks to Surrey holding the junior A playing rights to goaltender Dustin Slade. The talented puck stopper played for Surrey in 2004-05 before moving on to the Vancouver Giants of the Western Hockey League.

Slade left the Giants earlier this season and, if the WHL club was unable or unwilling to move him at the trade deadline, Hillier and the Eagles were poised to send him to a junior A contender in exchange for some valuable assets.

Those plans were thwarted Wednesday when the Giants opted to suspend Slade for the remainder of the season, effectively making him untouchable anywhere west of the Ontario/Manitoba border.

"We have a four western province agreement where apparently we have to uphold the Western Hockey League's suspensions," said a frustrated Hillier, who found out about the Giants' move at 2 p.m. on deadline day.

"I don't agree with that, but there's nothing I can do about it. We had lots of offers for him. We had a deal in place with Grande Prairie but hey, that's the way it goes. The situation is out of my control and I can't worry about it."

He pooped his bed now he has to sleep in it. If he didn't do this to himself I would actually feel bad for Dustin, but...as the world turns.

nivek_wahs
01-25-2007, 05:02 AM
This is mostly repeated info but it's fairly new from Ice Chips (Greg Harder, Regina LeaderPost)... http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=37dece8a-23cc-4440-af10-b7d9f9eabd1a

Goaltender looking for clean Slade

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Thursday, January 25, 2007

The Dustin Slade saga won't go away.

The latest plot twist had the exiled netminder practising last week with the Kamloops junior B Storm while awaiting word on negotiations with an unnamed team. This comes in the wake of accusations that the WHL is essentially holding Slade for ransom and has prevented him from joining a junior A or pro organization.

The 20-year-old was suspended by the WHL after he walked out on the Vancouver Giants in mid-November.

"It's been a long process the last couple months," Slade told the Kamloops Daily News. "It's definitely not an advantage to take this much time off in your 20-year-old season but, at the same time, maybe it will rest me up and I'll be able to go far in playoffs and contend for a championship, wherever that may be."

Slade was invited to work out with the Storm by head coach Bryant Perrier, who was his coach with the BCHL's Penticton Panthers in 2001-02.

"(Perrier) kind of gave me my start in junior," Slade said. "It's nice that he's still supporting me through all of these years."

Since his time in Penticton, Slade has made stops with the Kamloops Blazers, Brandon Wheat Kings, Regina Pats, Surrey Eagles (BCHL) and Vancouver Giants. The enigmatic netminder has burned a few bridges along the way, the latest when he left the Giants to seek a pro job that never materialized.

Slade tried unsuccessfully to mend fences in Vancouver, where he set a WHL record last season with 17 shutouts (regular season and playoffs). He has also been unable to find work in the junior A ranks.

Surrey had reportedly agreed to send Slade's rights to the Prince George Spruce Kings, who are playing host to this year's Royal Bank Cup. The deal didn't go through because of a league rule which states that a player can't be traded unless he was on a BCHL roster by Dec. 1.

There were subsequent reports that Slade would end up with the Alberta-based Grande Prairie Storm. That deal also died, supposedly because he is under suspension and therefore isn't permitted to play anywhere in the western provinces.

The latest rumour had Slade ending up somewhere in Ontario.

"It was actually a positive thing when I left (Vancouver); I was happy," he added. "Then a few doors got shut ... a few doors got slammed shut."