PDA

View Full Version : mr.toigoandmr.hay

superfan
01-21-2007, 08:59 PM
you screwed up big time by releasing dustin slade,look at the shootout today, it only shows who the better goalie is by a long shot. because of your giant egos your team will not win the memorial cup

SectionNDeserter
01-21-2007, 09:02 PM
Slade left the team itself, and remains the rights of the team. Nobody released him, he chose to leave.

Section_Z
01-21-2007, 10:17 PM
And beyond that, Everett played the overtime period to get to the shoot out. The lamest 5 minutes of hockey that I have had to endure. Not one shot on net...most of it spent behind their own net...
Perhaps they can win a regular season game this way, but someone might want to clue them in that the playoff format doesn't work that way....
Wonder how it feels for a young promising player like Mueller to have to win in such a demeaning way...Can it really be good for your team spirit?

macleafs
01-21-2007, 10:29 PM
And beyond that, Everett played the overtime period to get to the shoot out. The lamest 5 minutes of hockey that I have had to endure. Not one shot on net...most of it spent behind their own net...
Perhaps they can win a regular season game this way, but someone might want to clue them in that the playoff format doesn't work that way....
Wonder how it feels for a young promising player like Mueller to have to win in such a demeaning way...Can it really be good for your team spirit?

Why doesn't Vancouver forecheck them behind the net? Vancouver is setting up the trap, so Everett use that chance to change. This is happening because Vancouver is not forechecking so they don't make a mistake and get caught deep. Losing all four games to one team this year may not be to good for team spirit?

Section_Z
01-21-2007, 10:41 PM
Valid point, I kept hoping that someone would skate in and force the Tips' hand...
However...Who's setting up the trap here? I'd argue that the Tips are setting up their own trap to try and get an odd man advantage...
Just have to reiterate here how frustrating it was to stare at the back of a Silvertip player standing behind Irving.
I know this is a valid tactic for any team. Perfect for a line change, etc, but if you watched the game and saw how often and for how long it was used at the end of the 3rd, and in OT, you may agree with me.

And of coursen it would be frustrating for the Giants to lose to the Tips every game this year, but as Constantine imself admits, he'd give all the regular season games this year to get back the playoff series losses last year....

Beaner
01-21-2007, 10:58 PM
Why doesn't Vancouver forecheck them behind the net? Vancouver is setting up the trap, so Everett use that chance to change. This is happening because Vancouver is not forechecking so they don't make a mistake and get caught deep.

ding ding ding - You win the prize.

Losing all four games to one team this year may not be to good for team spirit?

Not good no, but I seem to recall PG owning us last year during the regular season and look what happened to them in the playoffs.

Kassian
01-22-2007, 12:02 AM
you screwed up big time by releasing dustin slade,look at the shootout today, it only shows who the better goalie is by a long shot. because of your giant egos your team will not win the memorial cup

Oh please...

Slade was MUCH worse than Sexsmith as far as shootouts go. Slade was arguably the worst starting goaltender in the league when it came down to a one on one skills test which is exactly what a shootout is.

TheBrass
01-22-2007, 09:05 AM

What kind of message would it send to allow a QUITTER like Slade to rejoin the team? That management will roll over and forgive such a supersize ego in what is meant to be a TEAM sport? I'd rather see the guys with heart battle it out without Slade and let the games go whichever way they will. 20 years old is old enough to make a man's decision, and all I saw was a petulant child who lost his favorite toy.

Redwic
01-22-2007, 09:27 AM

It's not demeaning for Mueller or the Silvertips. For the Giants, it was a little demeaning. Once the Silvertips were in the final minute of overtime, they played for the shootout. At any time, the Giants could have gotten the Everett defenseman out from the back of the goal. But they didn't. That was more the Giants' mistake than anything else. That said, the Silvertips tried playing out the clock until making a charge down the ice with 20 seconds left in overtime to create one last scoring opportunity (while giving Vancouver little time to do anything, themselves).

Playing for the shootout just showed what confidence the Silvertips had/have in their goaltending and shooters. You know how an opposing team stops that (playing for the shootout) from happening? By actually stepping up in the shootout and getting the win. That didn't happen for the Giants, and they got the loss. Mueller probably feels pretty good, knowing that despite him not scoring in a shootout the night before (in Tri-City) the coaching staff still had confidence that he would score the following night in the same situation. The Silvertips players delivered. The Giants players did not.

SectionNDeserter
01-22-2007, 09:30 AM
Also, as soon as the management of the team start allowing the players to run the team, that too would (more quickly) spell the end of that team's season. If you want to criticize them about something at all, it could be acquiring him in the first place, or not finding as experienced of a replacement for him.

Redwic
01-22-2007, 09:36 AM
Both goaltenders were sloppy most of the night, to say the least. Both teams looked like they were suffering from fatigue and sickness, too.

Unlike Friday night's game, this game the Giants actually resembled & played like a *team*. It was as if Don Hay instructed Rabbit and McArdle (especially), and asked them to lay off a little bit so that the rest of the players could contribute. I'm still not sold on Thelen, however. Seeing him both on Friday & Sunday, he was the one newbie (for either team) who didn't seem to make any impact. Trying to look from a Vancouver perspective, on the day of the trade deadline I would have much rather kept Lamb and ignored getting Thelen, and instead focused solely on the goaltending situation.

Beaner
01-22-2007, 11:45 AM
It's a good point about the netminding.

However, we also did need to upgrade at D. And Thelen is an upgrade over Flatters no matter what day of the week it is.

Unfortunatley, with Rabbit falling into our laps, and getting Thelen, a 20 had to go, and Lamb was the odd man out.

I'd still make all those trades. Rabbit and Thelen are upgrades over Flattters and Lamb.

Carebear
01-22-2007, 12:00 PM
Valid point, I kept hoping that someone would skate in and force the Tips' hand...
However...Who's setting up the trap here? I'd argue that the Tips are setting up their own trap to try and get an odd man advantage...
Just have to reiterate here how frustrating it was to stare at the back of a Silvertip player standing behind Irving.
I know this is a valid tactic for any team. Perfect for a line change, etc, but if you watched the game and saw how often and for how long it was used at the end of the 3rd, and in OT, you may agree with me.

And of coursen it would be frustrating for the Giants to lose to the Tips every game this year, but as Constantine imself admits, he'd give all the regular season games this year to get back the playoff series losses last year....

Personally Everett sitting on it behind the net was the piss off. I paid money to watch you play, not to watch you stand there like an idiot. PLAY THE ****ING GAME!!!!!!!!!!! I don't even think they should get away with **** like that. Yes its brutal that the Giants didn't go after them (other than the one time that Watt did it), but goddammit...PLAY THE GAME EVERETT.

Oh, and as much as I liked him when he was on the team, I don't think Slade should be allowed back at all. You don't leave your team down then beg for forgiveness when it's convenient for you. It's the Vancouver Giants, not the Vancouver Slades.

Redwic
01-22-2007, 02:28 PM
Personally Everett sitting on it behind the net was the piss off. I paid money to watch you play, not to watch you stand there like an idiot. PLAY THE ****ING GAME!!!!!!!!!!! I don't even think they should get away with **** like that. Yes its brutal that the Giants didn't go after them (other than the one time that Watt did it), but goddammit...PLAY THE GAME EVERETT.

With a depleted, sick, and fatigued team, the coaching staff was trying to do what they thought would give their team the best opportunity to win. First, holding the puck toward the end of regulation helped ensure at least one standings point. Second, holding the puck toward the end of overtime showed the confidence the coaching staff had/has in the team's goaltending and shooters in the shootout. It might not make for fun hockey to see the puck held behind the net, but the Giants could have done two things to make the Silvertips think twice about ever doing it again:

1) Have at least one Vancouver player drive out the Silvertips player(s) from behind the net.

2) The Giants could have delivered, and won, in the shootout. But they didn't, *again*, so the Silvertips now have that as a mental advantage. And it is understood that shootouts do not occur in the playoffs, but this is still a confidence booster (or killer) for these teams.
------------

If a person only looks at the Silvertips record against the Giants so far this season (4-0), that person might think that the Silvertips have dominated. That record is misleading. The Giants' record of 0-1-1-2 shows just how close & competitive these games have been. However, Everett has continued to find mutiple ways to win against the Giants so far this season, even despite missing key players, whereas the vice versa has not occurred.

Soundy
01-22-2007, 03:04 PM
:eek:I think you're holding back. Go ahead and let it all out. Tell us what you REALLY think! :laugh:

Too bad the "delay of game" rules don't include something like that... redwic's point is taken, but at some point it just gets ridiculous. Are you just gonna stand there looking like a moron for five minutes because you think you have a better chance in the shootout? Obviously the Giants thought they'd fare better letting Everett take it to the SO as well, or they woulda been in there after them. Why even bother with OT?

Oh, and as much as I liked him when he was on the team, I don't think Slade should be allowed back at all. You don't leave your team down then beg for forgiveness when it's convenient for you. It's the Vancouver Giants, not the Vancouver Slades.

applause:thumb::laugh:yeehoonhl3Excellent!

Redwic
01-22-2007, 03:27 PM
Obviously the Giants thought they'd fare better letting Everett take it to the SO as well, or they woulda been in there after them. Why even bother with OT?

When the Silvertips held the puck near the end of regulation, the Giants did *nothing* to stop them. They were just as happy to get at least a single point out of the game as the Silvertips were.

The Giants didn't do anything to stop the holding of the puck at the end of overtime, either, but both teams really looked worn out.

Redwic
01-22-2007, 03:30 PM
During the Third Period, a Silvertips fan (who was holding a large Everett Silvertips flag) was sitting near the Giants bench. A puck flew out from the ice and he caught it. Then, suddenly, many Giants fans from all around him began to "BOO" him. The booing continued until he turned around and handed a little kid the puck... then people clapped.

Carebear
01-22-2007, 03:41 PM
During the Third Period, a Silvertips fan (who was holding a large Everett Silvertips flag) was sitting near the Giants bench. A puck flew out from the ice and he caught it. Then, suddenly, many Giants fans from all around him began to "BOO" him. The booing continued until he turned around and handed a little kid the puck... then people clapped.

Very common. Nobody likes to see an older person get any pucks that fly out of play. It means so much more to the little kids.

That being said, if I ever caught one I'd keep it...and if people started booing me I'd just start crying to get them to shut up. :D

Beaner
01-22-2007, 08:24 PM

heheheh i forgot about that. that was great.

rinkrat
01-22-2007, 08:47 PM

Ya that was funny,thats baseball etiquette too! Hand the kid the ball or face the jeers!
What a flag that fellow had too.It was huge!

Soundy
01-22-2007, 09:27 PM
On a similar note, it was kinda cool to see Mueller point his stick and give a wave to the two Tips fans that were going berzerk at the bottom of Sec. Q or R, when he came out for his little game-star skate :)

ihlemic10
01-23-2007, 12:22 PM
Ya that was funny,thats baseball etiquette too! Hand the kid the ball or face the jeers!
What a flag that fellow had too.It was huge!

Yeah the team store sells them for about $60.00...it was either that or a jersey in my mind, I think I made the right choice in getting the Beach jersey...want to talk about jeers...I almost get them in my own barn.

Wingnut
01-23-2007, 05:45 PM
Oh please...

Slade was MUCH worse than Sexsmith as far as shootouts go. Slade was arguably the worst starting goaltender in the league when it came down to a one on one skills test which is exactly what a shootout is.

Here are the shootout records for both Slade and Sexsmith, for what it's worth:

This season

Slade: 0 W 1 L, 1 for 3, .333 save percentage
Sexsmith: 2 W 4 L, 12 for 19, .632 save percentage

Last season

Slade: 1 W 5 L, 10 for 16, .625 save percentage
Sexsmith: 0 W 1 L, 6 for 10, .600 save percentage

Career

Slade: 1 W 6 L, 11 for 19, .579 save percentage
Sexsmith: 2W 5 L, 18 for 29, .621 save percentage

Kassian
01-23-2007, 06:14 PM
Here are the shootout records for both Slade and Sexsmith, for what it's worth:

This season

Slade: 0 W 1 L, 1 for 3, .333 save percentage
Sexsmith: 2 W 4 L, 12 for 19, .632 save percentage

Last season

Slade: 1 W 5 L, 10 for 16, .625 save percentage
Sexsmith: 0 W 1 L, 6 for 10, .600 save percentage

Exactly what I was saying. Last season Slade was terrible for shootouts and it was no different this season even though he didn't get to play in as many games. A lot of those shootout losses for Sexsmith have come in the past few months when the Giants haven't been playing their best hockey. He played very well in the shootout up in Prince George earlier this season.

GF71
01-24-2007, 01:54 AM
Exactly what I was saying. Last season Slade was terrible for shootouts and it was no different this season even though he didn't get to play in as many games. A lot of those shootout losses for Sexsmith have come in the past few months when the Giants haven't been playing their best hockey. He played very well in the shootout up in Prince George earlier this season.

Sexy is the man for the shootout, depsite his last couple of efforts. I watched him go 10 rounds in Seattle last year. Slade was TERRIBLE on breakaways. So much so that a member of the team brass lamented to me the rules against switching tenders for the shoot out. lol ah well. I jsut hope he can get out of his funk ASAFP!

Carebear
01-25-2007, 02:48 PM
I have a funny feeling that Sexy's about to get out of the rut very soon.

byrdman25
01-26-2007, 12:20 AM
yep that was the worst display of sport I have seen when tips held it, we gave them some good booing in section z. On the puck passing, a guy in our zone gets a puck about every second game and always tosses it to a kid. Did anybody hear what the Canucks brass said when they released Slade after only a couple of days in camp, they said -He needs to go back down and learn how to stop a puck, isn't that a goalies job to stop a puck, The stats prove that we still have the better goalie.

The one thing with Slade was the team played better in front of him because they had confidence in him, as he stood in goal for the playoff run. This is one thing that cannot be understated, if a team doesn't have confidnce in their keeper they play differently. Once they play some non top-two goalies in the nation and get some wins, they get that confidence back.

Priceisright
01-26-2007, 01:03 PM
Sorry but Irving and Price are better and more experienced goaltenders and could bite us in the butt by seasons end.

Lucky enough being the host and having that free entry into the Cup allows for us to get ready for one week of GREAT play and see what happens.

I really think Everett has gotten better and we aren't quite as good as last year. Scoring problems lately as well goaltending not as strong.

This is only an opinion. I am and have been a Giants fan since the beginning. I am just concerned. I hope that having these new bodies etc we can get things together. There should be no more disruptions like All star games etc etc.

old_time_hockey
01-26-2007, 02:47 PM
Well I have an answer to bring more scoring.

What we do is photoshop a picture of Brian Burke in bed with Doug MacLean. Then blackmale MacLean saying send Gilbert back to the Giants or these pics hit the internet.

Just trying to think outside the box here. :thumb:

Carebear
01-26-2007, 11:39 PM
I have a funny feeling that Sexy's about to get out of the rut very soon.

Everyone see Tyson tonight? yes....that's right, I called it.
Yah they lost, but Sexy played awesome tonight!

Kassian
01-27-2007, 02:30 AM
Sorry but Irving and Price are better and more experienced goaltenders and could bite us in the butt by seasons end.

Obviously....

But what did you expect the Giants to do? It wasn't like there were so many great goaltenders available at the trade deadline.

As I've said so many times, goaltending hasn't been the biggest issue with this team. At times it's been pretty bad but ultimately lack of goal scoring and poor defensive play has been killing this team.