PDA

View Full Version : Long layoff doesn't hurt Pats' backup

nivek_wahs
01-22-2007, 04:43 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=609dd479-f2b9-4307-a387-9e267b0979e4&k=22086

Long layoff doesn't hurt Pats' backup

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Monday, January 22, 2007

Regina Pats goaltender Tommy Tartaglione doesn't mind performing after a long layoff.

The 18-year-old backup, making his first start since Dec. 27 -- a span of 11 games -- turned aside 26 of 27 shots in Sunday's 4-1 win over the visiting Spokane Chiefs.

Even more impressively, he stopped all 11 shots in the third period after a 45-minute delay to repair damage to the Brandt Centre ice.

"It's just more time to joke around with the fellas," Tartaglione said with a laugh. "I'm pretty calm and laid back. It didn't bother me at all. I tried to move around a little bit to stay loose but that's about it."

The Pats led 2-1 after two periods and didn't appear to be affected by the lengthy intermission. Despite failing to capitalize on two early power plays, Regina eventually broke the game open on goals by Nick Ross and Jordan Eberle.

"It's the same for both teams," noted Pats assistant coach Terry Perkins. "Both teams have to deal with the situation. Both teams are playing three games in three nights. But it certainly wasn't ideal. You might think the extra rest was good but when you play three games in three days and then have to sit there for 45 minutes, the legs can tighten up."

Tartaglione, for one, came out loose and ready.

"After periods I try to cut off the focus anyway and then get it restarted right before we go on the ice," added Tartaglione, who said he had never experienced such a delay. "When I was younger we've had instances where kids have thrown up on the rink, but nothing to that extent."

The only downside of Regina's third-period effort was the fact that not many people got to see it. By the time the game finally restarted, many of the 4,050 fans in attendance had already headed home.

The total length of the second intermission was one hour.

"Those kind of things shouldn't happen, it's that simple," fumed Pats GM Brent Parker, whose team depends on the Regina Exhibition Association staff for rink maintenance. "I certainly apologize to (the fans) for having to sit and wait and wait and wait but sadly it's out of our control. We'll try to make sure we can find a way so that it doesn't happen again."

The damage to the ice apparently occurred when a cover from one of the net's post holes got caught under the zamboni and was dragged the length of the ice. The end result was a gash Parker described as "1/2 to 3/4 of an inch wide, pretty much down to the cement."

The incision had to be filled with slush and frozen with fire extinguishers before the ice could be reflooded.

"We were all in agreement that we weren't starting until the ice was safe," said Parker, who conferred with the on-ice officials and Chiefs GM Tim Speltz. "We weren't prepared to put the players at risk."

Troy Ofukany and Michael MacAngus had the other goals for the Pats (20-23-1-3), who moved within one point of the third-place Prince Albert Raiders. Drayson Bowman replied for the Chiefs (24-18-3-2), who got 30 saves from Watson product Dustin Tokarski.

On Saturday night in Prince Albert, the Pats blew an opportunity to leapfrog Prince Albert when they outshot P.A. 34-22 but ran into a hot goaltender in ex-Pat Jesse Deckert, who backstopped the Raiders to a 5-1 win.

Jarrid Dowhay, Matt Robertson, Devon LeBlanc, Ashton Hewson and Ryan McDonald scored for the Raiders. Ofukany replied for the Pats. Linden Rowat allowed all five goals before he got the hook with 6:35 remaining. Tartaglione didn't see a shot in relief.

Despite the loss, Regina still picked up four of a possible six points over the weekend.

"We put together three very solid defensive games," said Perkins, whose team beat the host Saskatoon Blades 3-2 on Friday. "We gave up five goals in P.A. but we really played better than that. We didn't give up a lot of shots. Unfortunately, everything seemed to go in our net. We weren't disappointed with our effort in any of the games. We certainly would have loved to have six points. It didn't happen but we played well enough to do that. If we continue to play the same we have the last three days we're going to win a lot of games."

EXTRAS: The Pats were without LW Josh Elder (wrist) and RW Niko Snellman (shoulder). C Justin Scott and D Spencer Fraipoint got the night off ... Regina went 1-for-7 on the power play against P.A. The Raiders were 1-for-4. In Sunday's game, the Pats went 1-for-5. Spokane was 1-for-8 ... The Pats visit the Swift Current Broncos on Wednesday before opening a home-and-home set against the Moose Jaw Warriors on Friday at the Brandt Centre. Regina visits the Warriors on Saturday night. The Trans Canada Clash alumni game is set for Saturday afternoon at the Civic Centre.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

nivek_wahs
01-22-2007, 04:50 AM
Here's a picture from the Leader Post (Troy Fleece)... Troy Ofukany vs. Chris Bruton... Ofukany went right after Bruton and as the linesmen were trying to separate the combatants Ofukany kept on swinging (maybe payback? I dunno... old west coast opponents).

Fight Guy
01-22-2007, 02:40 PM
Linesmen shouldnt have jumped in, but meh.

Who else noticed the Pats played pretty damn well last night? Not their best, but I think this team is starting to gel.

MacAngus/Eberle/Festerling line looked very good last night, and Saulietis is really coming around, and Hill is fitting in very well as well. Damn is he quick!

I never saw the PA game at all, but it sounds like the Pats outplayed every team this weekend, except some draw backs in the PA game. They are cycling the puck quite well and are making some good scoring chances.

I like this team. :thumb:

Bran
01-22-2007, 07:35 PM
Both teams looked a little tired to start, but the boys picked it up pretty fast. The defence sounds like it's been awesome lately. Watching them fight off those 5 on 3's last night in the 3rd made me very proud! Haha. My mom actually went to the game with me last night and she had yet to see Tommy play. I told her she'd probably get mad at him, because she hates when the goalie plays the puck, but she couldn't help but laugh. She said to me "I can't even get mad at the kid! He's such a character!" He's different, for sure. I love how they were fighting for the puck in their own end end it was the goalie who finally cleared it...and it was nowhere near the net! What a nut. I do love this team.

nivek_wahs
01-23-2007, 04:36 AM
Who else noticed the Pats played pretty damn well last night? Not their best, but I think this team is starting to gel.

MacAngus/Eberle/Festerling line looked very good last night, and Saulietis is really coming around, and Hill is fitting in very well as well. Damn is he quick!I have to agree with you with the team is looking like it's jelling. I would also have to say that all the new acquisitions (not Elder... darn injury) are starting to really find their groove... Maybe not points-wise but they seem to be fitting in well. Stoesz has brought an element to the Pats that we haven't had in a long time - a legit enforcer - and it seems as though it is paying dividends.

I like this team. :thumb:I agree.

nivek_wahs
01-23-2007, 04:41 AM
Both teams looked a little tired to start, but the boys picked it up pretty fast. The defence sounds like it's been awesome lately. Watching them fight off those 5 on 3's last night in the 3rd made me very proud! Haha. My mom actually went to the game with me last night and she had yet to see Tommy play. I told her she'd probably get mad at him, because she hates when the goalie plays the puck, but she couldn't help but laugh. She said to me "I can't even get mad at the kid! He's such a character!" He's different, for sure. I love how they were fighting for the puck in their own end end it was the goalie who finally cleared it...and it was nowhere near the net! What a nut. I do love this team.Tartaglione is the most entertaining goalie I can remember seeing play for the Pats. At times I don't know how he stops the puck as he is all over the ice. I would almost have to say he is one of the top puckhandlers on the team haha. I do really like his laid back approach and I appreciate it.

patsfan33
01-23-2007, 01:18 PM
Tartaglione is the most entertaining goalie I can remember seeing play for the Pats...

I found Slade entertaining, Tartaglione just provides it minus the penalty minutes :p ...I'm all for it

i don't think i'm too fond of his tending style just yet, but love the puck handling skills and the kid is fun to watch both ON and off the bench... only tender i know of that throws his helmet on the ice for a teammates' hat trick and sticks his arm up for an oncoming icing call (while on the bench)...just needs to get that secret water bottle squirting action going like Rowat used to do :laugh:

Fight Guy
01-23-2007, 03:48 PM
I wish they would utilize his handling skills a bit more. Sure, he's a goalie, but the first game he played, he would sit behind the net with the puck for a moment waiting for the fore checker to come, and then from there he would pass it off the boards around him and he would be out of the play completely. Im sure he would use his own judgment at different times as well. And I really think they should utilize his ability yo shoot the puck better as well...meaning having him do the stretch pass to an open Pat on the line the change. There have been many times where a Pat would be up near there, but the play would instead start behind the net. And I will guarantee that if any goalie were to score an empty netter this year, it will be Tartaglione! I love when he clears the puck himself on the penalty kill.

Hope we see Elder sooner than later. Looks like another month or two till he is ready.