PDA

View Full Version : "THE TRAP'

Swando
01-23-2007, 05:13 AM
I'm sorry if I am re-hashing a couple of other threads that involved the Everett/Giants games. I just wanted to add my 2 cents in here to say the following:

Everett plays the trap probably more than most teams in the WHL. Not nearly as much as their first years however when 5 players would line up at their own blue line (lol). Only in Everett could they get away with it. No disrespect but Chilliwack fans would boo at such hockeyi in that 1st and 2nd year. Canucks don't really understand Basketball as much either)

Defensive style hockey does not always mean the "TRAP" rather being very careful when to commit to going in the offensive end without a backup in your spot you are leaving. This is the style of game Everett has mastered.

When Everett stood behind their goal and waited for the Giants to react.....This was Trap hockey on the Giants part at its best. For basketball fans it is a zone defense. This was smart hockey on the Everett's part because on 2 occassions they were able to change their entire team follwing an icing. Knowlegable fans should be booing the Giants for non-forchecking it this case.

Finally if you understand and follow the Giants 3rd period shots against.totals..as a rule they allow very few shots against. This is because they are most often up on the opposition (not lately) and play a L Wing/ or R Wing trap which forces the puck carrier or passes to go up one side of the ice.The defense is set up for this which will allow very few shots. Smart hockey.

The key to watch is this.. How many forecheckers come at the puckholder in the offensive end..if none.. then a trap is being set up for sure.
If 1 skater forces the play and others hang back there is most likely a L or R wing trap being set. If 2 or more go in to forecheck then you get the picture (ala Hunt and Cunningham kamakazzi)
I'm definetly not a coach and do not like the "trap" as NJ Devils and Everett once played but it is smart defensive hockey if you are winning and your fans will tolerate it. Giant fans, we are playing plenty of trap hockey ourselves, not just the suffracating style that we thing of when we hear the word TRAP.

Kristi
01-23-2007, 10:13 AM
When I went to Hockey in Heels a couple seasons ago one of the ladies in attendance asked what "the trap" was and Kevin responded "it's what women do to men" You've never heard such laughter from a group of women.

(yes I admit I went, it was a social thing for the girls......one of the players I knew at the time was in the offfice and I had done in there and he asked what I was doing there and I told him and he said you don't need to go to that!!)

BruinsFan19
01-23-2007, 10:22 AM
Only in Everett could they get away with it. No disrespect but Chilliwack fans would boo at such hockeyi in that 1st and 2nd year. Canucks don't really understand Basketball as much either)

I think Bruins management knew they couldn't get away with playing the trap in Chilliwack. Chilliwack fans know their hockey and after watching the good defense, GREAT offense Chiefs for so long there's no way we'd tolerate the Trap.

Soundy
01-23-2007, 10:45 AM
The real iron of it is that the idea of the "trap" was originally developed as an OFFENSIVE strategy to barge a puck into the attacking zone.... and only later fell back into a lame defensive strategy.

old_time_hockey
01-23-2007, 12:27 PM
When Everett stood behind their goal and waited for the Giants to react.....This was Trap hockey on the Giants part at its best. For basketball fans it is a zone defense. This was smart hockey on the Everett's part because on 2 occassions they were able to change their entire team follwing an icing. Knowlegable fans should be booing the Giants for non-forchecking it this case.

In all but one case when the Giants were still up 5-4 and on the PK I was booing the Giants. When the Tips have a PP, go ahead....stand back there and kill the clock.

I just guess my boos were lumped in with the boos for the Tips. There were many people in my section that wanted Hunt or Watt to go back there and flush them out. You don't even have to go for a hit. Just make them leave the back of the net.

The Giants carried the load of the play on Friday. The shot clock shows you that. Why they thought that they couldn't defend against them is beyond me. Other than 2 goals that Sexsmith should have had in the 1st, the Giants owned the play in that game.

And I hate to say it, but I think some people might be losing their faith in Sexy. Hay said we needed better goaltending in the post game show and Toigo said basically the same thing in the 1st intermission.

SixSixOne
01-23-2007, 01:30 PM
Personally, I could care less if everett sits behind the net in the last few seconds of the game.
Hell, they are only killing off what could be valuable seconds from the clock, I think my friend and I were the only ones cheering in all of section z :laugh: