PDA

View Full Version : Question about Slade in regards to team chemistry...

Redwic
01-24-2007, 12:34 PM
The Giants looked much more dominant and formidable at the beginning of the season. Does anyone remember them starting the season with ten straight wins, and winning 15 of the first 16 games?

Is it just me, or was Slade leaving the team the initial catalyst for the depletion of the team's championship-caliber chemistry? I know that he's an ego-maniac and (obviously) not a team player, but his departure certainly seemed to spark a chain of events & trades, even in completely different areas.

Games before Slade left the team: 20-2-1-1 (Outstanding!)
Games after Slade left the team: 10-9-2-4 (Only a .500 team if you don't include the OTL & SOL!)
------------

How do Giants fans feel that Slade's departure affected the rest of the team's chemistry, either directly or indirectly, as well as how the team has done (& will do) in games? I just wanted to see some opinions, from fans who actually watch the Giants on a regular basis.

Kassian
01-24-2007, 07:40 PM
I don't really think it effected the team chemistry all that much. If anything Slade wasn't the most popular guy in the locker room and not many players were crying when he left so to speak.

The big difference between the start of the season and the past few months is the Giants had an easy schedule at the start of the year. Obviously it's easier to get multiple wins against teams you should beat.

The only real negative effect on the team regarding Slade leaving was that Sexsmith didn't feel the pressure of having that other guy on the bench competing against him for the starting role. That was what drove Sexsmith and seemed to make him a better all around goaltender. When Slade left and the number one spot was his he slowly seemed to start playing worse. Now that could be a combination of fatigue and pressure but either way he wasn't the same goaltender once Slade left. Right now I think the Giants should ride Neufeld for a while and try and put that pressure back on Sexsmith and see if he brings his "A" game once again. If not, the Giants are going to be in big trouble...

Section_Z
01-24-2007, 07:56 PM
I agree. It's been happening the last 5 games or so, and I think they should stick with it...Sexy, Neufeld, Sexy, Neufeld.....just like the plan at the beginning of the season...Let them improve each other....and give each other confidence that there is a back up for the team to relieve some of the pressure...

scrunt
01-24-2007, 08:15 PM
The Giants looked much more dominant and formidable at the beginning of the season. Does anyone remember them starting the season with ten straight wins, and winning 15 of the first 16 games?

Is it just me, or was Slade leaving the team the initial catalyst for the depletion of the team's championship-caliber chemistry? I know that he's an ego-maniac and (obviously) not a team player, but his departure certainly seemed to spark a chain of events & trades, even in completely different areas.

Games before Slade left the team: 20-2-1-1 (Outstanding!)
Games after Slade left the team: 10-9-2-4 (Only a .500 team if you don't include the OTL & SOL!)
------------

How do Giants fans feel that Slade's departure affected the rest of the team's chemistry, either directly or indirectly, as well as how the team has done (& will do) in games? I just wanted to see some opinions, from fans who actually watch the Giants on a regular basis.

I agree that the stats show a marked change in the team's success, but I have no idea how much of that is a direct result of Slade's departure.

When Slade left, I was excited given that Sexsmith was playing just as well, and it opened up an overage spot for a playoff rental. In retrospect, I think everyone will agree that Sexsmith has not played as well of late.
Sure, Slade's departure might have had something to do with that, by even Tyson himself won't know for sure.

I haven't seen enough of Neufeld to be certain, but I think Slade is (was) a better goalie, so Slade's departure has been a net downgrade for the team. I now think the Giants would have a better record and a better chance in the playoffs if Slade was still here.

Nonetheless, as far as I can tell from all the contradictory banter, it was Slade's decision to make, and it was a lose-lose result. Too bad, but that's the way it is, and there's nothing we can do about it now. I still think the team did the right thing by not letting Slade crawl back.

I'm hoping this story is almost over, but I know it won't be until and unless the Giants win their way to the Memorial Cup Championship. Anything less and everyone will wonder what might have been, if Slade had not pulled the pin...

rinkrat
01-24-2007, 08:20 PM
I agree. It's been happening the last 5 games or so, and I think they should stick with it...Sexy, Neufeld, Sexy, Neufeld.....just like the plan at the beginning of the season...Let them improve each other....and give each other confidence that there is a back up for the team to relieve some of the pressure...

I disagree,while I'm not a goalie,as a fan I would think goalies like to get on a roll and play alot of consecutive games,sort of ride their wave of confidence.
That was evident with the way Slade was handled.I'm not sure there are many goalies that would thrive in a 50/50 situation,especially play one,sit one.

scrunt
01-24-2007, 08:39 PM
I disagree,while I'm not a goalie,as a fan I would think goalies like to get on a roll and play alot of consecutive games,sort of ride their wave of confidence.
That was evident with the way Slade was handled.I'm not sure there are many goalies that would thrive in a 50/50 situation,especially play one,sit one.

Well, I am a goalie, but a crappy one, so I'm probably still not qualified to comment. But I will anyway.

I agree that generally goalies prefer to play more. However, the recent evidence is pretty compelling that Sexsmith played better during the rotation than when he was the regular starter.

According to Hockeydb.com, Sexsmith only played 547 minutes last season, compared to 1,932 so far this year. That's a pretty big change for a 17 year old, especially when the effect of the travel is added.

I say the team has nothing to lose going 50/50 for a while; turn it into a mini-camp, the best performer gets the nod for the end of the season.

old_time_hockey
01-25-2007, 03:45 PM
The Giants are over the worst stretch of their Sched now.

If the Giants were losing to the weaker teams, I might be more inclined to push the panic button. But other than a game against MJ, they have won the games they should and in fairly convincing fashion (by 3 or more).

Games against Everett have been 1 or 2 goal games in OT or SO. Same as with the Loops. Close games. Even when we had 4 regular players out at the WJHC.

Now that any rumour of Slade coming back since he now has a new team can only help. If the teams play picks up, we will know that Slade leaving was a distraction...even though everyone said that it wasn't.

And I am fully on board with the idea of Sexy/Neufeld 50/50 split.

Because from the release on the MJAHL site:

"TJ Keeping has all the abilities to be a fine goaltender but to thrust all our expectations on a 17 year was not fair"

Now replace TJ Keeping with Tyson Sexsmith and does this not sound like a familiar situation??

Hunt24
01-25-2007, 05:54 PM
I don't think it had an impact on chemistry in terms of the guys realizing who they're playing for (each other) and the opportunity they have (Memorial Cup). But I do think Slade leaving may have changed the mindset of the team. That team we watched in the first 15 games of the season had a swagger about them that's missing now. I'm sure that given Slade's confidence and/or ego that some of that came directly from him.

That team at the beginning of the season was super confident and dared other teams to outwork, outplay or outhit them. Now the boys line up at center and seem to be worried about not getting beat. If they can get their confidence up, these boys are unstoppable but without that swagger and confidence, they're nothing but lambs to the slaughter. The reason we all watch Everett play and get frustrated is because that confidence (as fans of the opposition we call it arrogance) used to be Giants hockey. But every player, whether it's Mikkelson or Franson coughing up the puck, or Lucic or Watt not scrapping as much as they used to, seems to be struggling with confidence more than anything.

byrdman25
01-26-2007, 12:08 AM
here here, don't think Slade had an adverse effect. Maybe the loss of 4 guys to the WJ's had an effect on roles. Lucic looked sweet over that time, maybe our captain next year? Give it time Sexy is good, the pressure of now being the #1 could effect him, but now our sced eases abit again. No more playing 3 games in a week against top 5 teams in the country(maybe wrong on loops spot).

WE NEED THAT RECKLESS ATTITUDE BACK IT GAVE US THAT SWAGGER, MORE HITTING, SOME FIGHTING. We seem to be getting pushed around abit, well as much as we can get pushed around, like Hay told tham no penalties in prep for the Mem.

GO GIANTS GO