PDA

View Full Version : The Team

Sinbin1
01-24-2007, 10:21 PM
I am getting pretty tired of watching Colton Gillies, he has 20 points and plays almost every 2nd to 3rd shift. Then you get guys like Wintoneak, Cloud, Camaron, and Patterson who ride the pine or go every 4th shift and probably play just as well if not better on some nights. Am I that wrong?
It is interesting to note that Chris Cloud has the same # of points as Gillies, a potential 1st rounder? Wintoneak and Camaron have half his point total getting half as much ice. WOW! :skeptical

howley
01-25-2007, 01:26 AM
mmmm...I agree and disagree. I think that the cloud line get's more ice time than that for one. I think their ice time is increasing as well. They played some time on the pp tonight and all three have seen regular time on the PK this season. So I think they are playing more time than you are saying. Definitely not Gillies type minutes though I don't think. As far as Gillies numbers. I think numbers tell only half the story. You can't tell me that when he is on the ice that he isn't effective. He may not have the scoring touch at this point but you know when he is out there. Winning battles on the boards, easily one of the top forecheckers on the team, causes turn overs and pretty smart defensively. He has more defensive sense than offensive IMO. Look out if he ever finds his hands. I really think he will...The kid is 6'4 and 17 years old. I personally think he just needs to get used to his size abit. Think about it, how many 6'4, 17 year olds have great coordination? Not saying Gillies is uncoordinated but I think it could have abit to do with it. He has all the tools. Just having troubles building something at this point. It comes down to the fact that scouts don't screw up on their rankings to often. I don't think they have with Gillies being in the first round.

nivek_wahs
01-25-2007, 05:31 AM
As far as Gillies numbers. I think numbers tell only half the story. You can't tell me that when he is on the ice that he isn't effective. He may not have the scoring touch at this point but you know when he is out there. Winning battles on the boards, easily one of the top forecheckers on the team, causes turn overs and pretty smart defensively. He has more defensive sense than offensive IMO. Look out if he ever finds his hands. I really think he will...The kid is 6'4 and 17 years old. I personally think he just needs to get used to his size abit. Think about it, how many 6'4, 17 year olds have great coordination? Not saying Gillies is uncoordinated but I think it could have abit to do with it. He has all the tools. Just having troubles building something at this point. It comes down to the fact that scouts don't screw up on their rankings to often. I don't think they have with Gillies being in the first round.I have to agree with all of your points. Even though the points aren't there he means something to the team and at 17 he will become an more important part of the team as he gets older. Scoring points doesn't get you drafted... scouts watch for ALL aspects of a players game and they are graded on them ALL and the scouts must see something in him to have him ranked in the first round. I think he would fit in with the Pats very easily, but as he is an important piece of the Blades dynamic I only wish he played for the Pats :clown: .

ProStaff
01-25-2007, 07:07 AM
it's funny, guy's harpped on Seto for being only a one way player, who put up the points and alot! and now you get a guy like Gillies who has just as much talent and maybe more than Seto and plays a complete game and guy's harp that he isn't putting up the numbers. I honestly think that Gillies will be a way better NHL player than Seto! Gillies has a good coach who is giving him tough love and next year Gillies and McCrae will light up!

howley
01-25-2007, 12:25 PM
Very good thought with seto vs Gillies. Seto has amazing speed and hands but he also has an amazing lack of work ethic on any given night. How many guys drafted 8th over all have been cut from the World Jr team in their 18 and 19 yr old season. That has to say something right there. On top of his lack of defensive effort it looks like his offense has dropped off as well this year. Of course that could just be the fact he is with the huge underachievers in PG.

I was one of the guys harping on Gillies earlier in the season for no point production but I have realized just how effective he really is out there. As far as who is better in the pro's, who really knows. I honestly think Gillies is more "Nhl ready" than seto is at this moment. Not saying he is ready but I think Gillies is closer and 2 years younger which leads me to believe he would be better in the NHL.

wango tango
01-25-2007, 01:55 PM
it's fascinating how much of a lightning rod gillies is. love or hate him the fact is if he starts putting more points up on a regular basis from now until the end of the year he will be a first round, potentially high first round pick.

if he doesn't put up more points he will probably be a second round, maybe and a big maybe slide down to a third round pick i'd suspect. take a look at brandon's burki, he didn't become a huge offensive threat until last year, and especially this year so far. if gillies were to slide until the third round, and starts putting up bigger numbers, a lot of people will be using the words 'a steal' when it comes to where he was selected in the entry draft.

the one and only thing missing from his game at this point are huge offensive numbers, time will tell if it comes along or not, and that is the risk with gillies as a prospect.

Dwight Schrute
01-25-2007, 07:12 PM
as you can guess im a leaf fan , and Im hoping we draft Gillies
i hope my canucks steer clear of this kid

howley
01-25-2007, 10:16 PM
cause what team in their right mind would want a smooth skating, extremely agile 6'4 centreman on their third or fourth line?

Sinbin1
01-25-2007, 11:45 PM
mmmm...I agree and disagree. I think that the cloud line get's more ice time than that for one. I think their ice time is increasing as well. They played some time on the pp tonight and all three have seen regular time on the PK this season. So I think they are playing more time than you are saying. Definitely not Gillies type minutes though I don't think. As far as Gillies numbers. I think numbers tell only half the story. You can't tell me that when he is on the ice that he isn't effective. He may not have the scoring touch at this point but you know when he is out there. Winning battles on the boards, easily one of the top forecheckers on the team, causes turn overs and pretty smart defensively. He has more defensive sense than offensive IMO. Look out if he ever finds his hands. I really think he will...The kid is 6'4 and 17 years old. I personally think he just needs to get used to his size abit. Think about it, how many 6'4, 17 year olds have great coordination? Not saying Gillies is uncoordinated but I think it could have abit to do with it. He has all the tools. Just having troubles building something at this point. It comes down to the fact that scouts don't screw up on their rankings to often. I don't think they have with Gillies being in the first round.

I agree with you Gillies is a good player, but so are the other guys listed. The Cloud/Patterson/Wintoneak line has played very well as of late and they deserve more credit. Against Spokane tho he had a bad night, why keep putting him out there, send a message, play or sit!

Dwight Schrute
01-26-2007, 12:00 AM
cause what team in their right mind would want a smooth skating, extremely agile 6'4 centreman on their third or fourth line?
not a team with an excess of bottom 6 talent and a shortage of top 6(although their centre depth is non existant). nucks have a solid couple d (bourdon, edler, rahimi, heshka) good goalie depth (schneider, vincent, ellis) and decent wingers (grabner, raymond, hansen)
but when mario bliznak and matt butcher are your top 2 centre prospects you need offensive help.
gillies dont fit the bill for them.

Tidball
01-26-2007, 02:08 AM
He is 17. He has EVERYTHING except a scoring touch. Give him a guy who is a really good goal scorer(perhaps on a line with Menei) and Gillies point total would soar. With the injuries now, Molleken is still juggling the lines a bit. That thought on Cloud, Patterson, Wintoneak... After thier last few games, thier ice time should soar. IMO they should be the 2nd line next season, they work amazing together.

Gillies i think will stay a 1st rounder. He can do everything except score often(which is something that is easily taught) The skills he has now cant be taught. For example, how do you teach a 6'4 to skate twist and turn like Gillies does. Once he bulks out(half way through his 18 season) he will score.

BLADES lines.(healthy, what i think they should be)

Hulak - McCrae - Menei (can go up against any 1st line in the WHL)
Konecny - Gillies - MacAuley (injuries keep this line from gelling, but it could be good)
Cloud - Patterson - Wintoneak(1 of the best 3rd lines in the league)
Dulle - Cuthbert - Cameron(switch these up and cycle through scratches, reward good efforts with more ice time)
OR, Klotz, Dulle, Cameron

DEFENSE

Cole - Zahn(future leader learning from current leader)
Funk - Ward(for chirst sakes pair these guys up, they're very familair with eachother)
Logan - Visnak (booth smooth skaters and good shooters, need to work on puck control)

PP(forwards)
#1 Hulak - Menei - McCrae
#2 Cloud - Gillies - Konecny
#3 Dulle - Patterson - Wintoneak/Macauley

PP(D)
#1 Cole - Logan
#2 Ward - Visnak(risky)

PK(forwards)
#1 Patterson - Wintoneak(i believe they use this now)
#2 McCrae - Menei
#3 Gillies - Cloud

PK (defense)
#1 Cole - Zahn
#2 Funk - Logan

ProStaff
01-26-2007, 08:56 AM
i hope my canucks steer clear of this kid
ya I hope your Canucks don't get him either! His talent would be wasted, he would be better off in an Oiler jersy, with the best Ice in the league.

Five Hole
01-26-2007, 11:52 AM
Scoring is something that is easily taught.....hmmmm. Perhaps it is easily taught, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's easily learned.

Lots of guys can rack up all kinds of points in bantam and midget, but really struggle to do it in major junior. There's only 30 or so guys in this league scoring a point per game, and Gillies is half that. I think his scoring prowess will improve steadily as he and his teammates get older and more experienced. Or at least it better! If he doesn't learn how to do it in this league, there's no chance he'll learn how in the NHL. In fact, I doubt he'd be given the chance. Lots of guys are big scorers most of their life, but some of them are given other roles in pro because there's always guys even better at scoring than they are. And, when you get to pro, you do what they tell you to, not what you think you should be doing :D
And some first rounders never really pan out. It's interesting looking at hockeydb.com at the drafts by year, by round and what the guys have or havent done in the NHL since then.

I think the reason Gillies is ranked as high as he is, is for his offensive potential. So, hopefully he starts living up to it and makes us doubters look bad! (just not against the raiders, of course :thumb:

howley
01-26-2007, 01:49 PM
looking through those lines that tidball posted look pretty accurate IMO. I'd like to see crowley on a more consistent basis. I have said it before but the kid has the ability to change the momentum of a game in one shift. I'd sit cuthbert over Crowley. Reason for that is I don't think cuthbert will be back next season. Throw crowley in to get some playing time and spark some chemistry. I just see Cuthbert either going in the expansion draft or being involved in a trade for an OA d man or two. Abit of a log jam for the fourth line once everyone get's healthy.

Tidball
01-26-2007, 02:32 PM
looking through those lines that tidball posted look pretty accurate IMO. I'd like to see crowley on a more consistent basis. I have said it before but the kid has the ability to change the momentum of a game in one shift. I'd sit cuthbert over Crowley. Reason for that is I don't think cuthbert will be back next season. Throw crowley in to get some playing time and spark some chemistry. I just see Cuthbert either going in the expansion draft or being involved in a trade for an OA d man or two. Abit of a log jam for the fourth line once everyone get's healthy.

Crowley - Dulle - Klotz. Would be interesting. 2 hardworking speedsters with a giant hitter. Crowley - Dulle - Cameron would work well too. We should trade Visnak, Geric, and Cuthbert to avoid the draft and a 4th.

Dwight Schrute
01-26-2007, 03:10 PM
danno , you might not want your canucks to take him but mark my words Nonis would cream himself to get gillies. I mean look at the rediculous amount of money you guys paid Kessler and he isnt as good as a 17 year old Gillies for god sake
ok but what would you have done lost a 1st round pick and 3 years of developmant so clarke could poach your rfa ? nonis didnt have much of a choice. and by the way kesler is right around the same #'s as gillies playing in the NHL. he was a ppg player in junior/college. also kesler is everything gillies might be(solid hard working 3rd liner who can skate). and more, he beat iginla in a fight(most notably) and is better each game. he is 22 and the first forward on a 5-3 pk and 1st unit on a 5-4 pk. burke might have creamed at the thought of another "safe pick" (nathan smith anyone) nonis has gone a little better.
its nothing against gillies (although i've said im no fan) there is just players like him in the nucks system.

btw what would you do when a gm tries to poach your young players after you draft and develop them.? any gm interviewed said you protect your assets

wango tango
01-26-2007, 03:40 PM
BLADES lines.(healthy, what i think they should be)

Hulak - McCrae - Menei (can go up against any 1st line in the WHL)
Konecny - Gillies - MacAuley (injuries keep this line from gelling, but it could be good)
Cloud - Patterson - Wintoneak(1 of the best 3rd lines in the league)
Dulle - Cuthbert - Cameron(switch these up and cycle through scratches, reward good efforts with more ice time)
OR, Klotz, Dulle, Cameron

DEFENSE

Cole - Zahn(future leader learning from current leader)
Funk - Ward(for chirst sakes pair these guys up, they're very familair with eachother)
Logan - Visnak (booth smooth skaters and good shooters, need to work on puck control)

PP(forwards)
#1 Hulak - Menei - McCrae
#2 Cloud - Gillies - Konecny
#3 Dulle - Patterson - Wintoneak/Macauley

PP(D)
#1 Cole - Logan
#2 Ward - Visnak(risky)

PK(forwards)
#1 Patterson - Wintoneak(i believe they use this now)
#2 McCrae - Menei
#3 Gillies - Cloud

PK (defense)
#1 Cole - Zahn
#2 Funk - Logan

agree with most of what you have with a couple of exceptions.

zahn was on the second pp unit for the d, i would guess when he gets back he would be again.

hulak-mccrae-menei (1st line & 1st pp unit)
konecny-gillies-macaulay (2nd line & 2nd pp unit)
cloud-patterson-wintoneak (3rd line)

klotz, dulle, cuthbert, geric, and cameron mix and match for the fourth line.

cole-zahn
logan-klassen
funk-visnak
ward

1st pp (d) cole-logan
2nd pp (d) zahn-visnak

(pk) 1st unit mccrae-menei-cole-zahn
(pk) 2nd unit patterson-wintoneak-logan-klassen

wango tango
01-26-2007, 04:12 PM
btw what would you do when a gm tries to poach your young players after you draft and develop them.? any gm interviewed said you protect your assets

kesler has good wheels, is playing valuable minutes on the pk, and taking some pretty key draws. he's one of the nucks better prospects, so you can't let him go for nothing. he's not worth 1.9, but you can't let him go for nothing.

what has to make nonis want to just spit is the man who tried to sign kesler away basically admitted, just a couple weeks later, he no longer knew what he was doing, and as the nhl season has now shown built the worst team in hockey.

my other concern for nucks management (and not knowing the new collective agreement well enough it may be nothing), is if kesler goes to arbitration and wins a raise, can the team keep him, fit him under the cap, without shedding some salary somewhere else?

Dwight Schrute
01-26-2007, 05:35 PM
my other concern for nucks management (and not knowing the new collective agreement well enough it may be nothing), is if kesler goes to arbitration and wins a raise, can the team keep him, fit him under the cap, without shedding some salary somewhere else?
the team can actually take him to arbitration now. and after today when it was announced kesler is out for the season due to hip surgery, he will likely lose an arbitration case. the best idea is to lock him up long term at 1.6-1.8 (say 4-5 years). that is the general consensus among nuck fans