PDA

View Full Version : Rebels struggling for a win

longtimefan7
01-25-2007, 01:58 AM
mm

hockey4
01-25-2007, 01:28 PM
Why wouldnt you pull off those trades. Leblanc was doing virtually nothing, whereas Doucet has done very well at killing penalties. Knackstedt needed a scenery change, as he was doing nothing. And from all accounts, Wray did very well in his first couple games, with his play dropping of a tad of late. And how can we blame the coaching staff for making changes on the pp. When your best player leaves for 3.5 weeks, adjustments are made, and its tough to suddenly revert to exactly how it was before. It seems like were working hard, pucks just arent going in the net. A lot of that is maybe Hanzal not playing to his potential, cause he sure didnt look outstanding at hoem against kootenay. Im not worried at all, we have 15 home games left, more than anybody else in the league i believe. Yah Lethbridge is getting close, but playing almost 9 more home games definetly has something to do with it.

Division Prediction
Med Hat
Koot
RD
Leth
Calg

SectionNDeserter
01-25-2007, 05:31 PM
Why would Sutter roll even three lines, if only two of them (or sometimes one) are competing? I for one could do without watching Alex Poulter fire 3x as many pucks straight into the opposition goalie's chest, or Karey Pieper getting stripped of the puck 3x as much as I do now or Luke Egener passing the puck to 3x as many opponents. Realistically Sutter only has 2 "WHL calibre" defensive pairings to put out there as well. These guys are not rookies that need more ice time to season their game, they have been in the WHL for 2 or 3 seasons, they are players that need to start elevating their game to earn more ice time. The reason the Rebels are struggling right now is that the opposition is really keying in on the 2 or 3 players that can actually score goals on our team.

As for the trades, I think that they addressed some very minor work ethic issues that some of our forwards had, but really didn't help us out on the back end. LeBlanc is on pace to have as many points as he had here, but on pace to have 4x as bad of a +/-. I think Knackstedt will do well in Moose Jaw, and we got a natural center that we were lacking, and one that actually has playoff experience, so that one is a win/win situation.

hockey4
01-25-2007, 07:31 PM
should be able to recognize who plays well together at this point of the season. Over playing players ins't for the benefit of the team, it's strictly for the benefit of the player to get more exposure. When they use three lines consistently along with 3 defensive pairings the Rebels stay in the game successfully. Thats where I figure Sutter is coaching for certain players rather than for an entire team. Before Hanzal left for the WJC our pp was very successful with Brandon Sutter and Berube on the back end with Hanzal, Starkov, and Brett Sutter up front, so why not go back to what was working when Hanzal returned. You are also stating that the team is not scoring because Hanzal isn't playing to his potential, what about the rest of the forwards. They can't play to their potential without Hanzal, how does that make them top end players then? This is a team with favorites and its starting to show in the W column. From the stats on the WHL website its shows that LeBlanc and Knackstaedt are doing very well in their new uniforms. Sometimes getting to play in certain situations allows you to develop your talents.

Personal grudge eh. Anyone who watched a game saw that Knackstedt and Leblanc were given ample ice time and were put in every situation. And yah im sure at one point players did play well together, but when they dont, things change. We were forced to shuffle lines when hanzal left and now we have to find the healthy medium again. And who are the "certain players" he is coaching for. Sutter, Sutter, Hanzal, Starkov, Vandermeer, and Moore. They all get equal playing time and are clearly the best players. Because if ur referring solely to the Sutter's u obviously need to watch a game closer. They ARE our most consistent players, and DESERVE the ice time. IF your going to question Sutter's coaching philosphies, please take a look at his track record, he knows his ****. Ive been watching this team for 15 years now, and NEVER, EVER have we had a coach that even rivals Sutter.

Rebrevs
01-25-2007, 07:43 PM
Right on SectionNDeserter! I couldn't agree with you more. Your comments re: the fact that Sutter only has 2 competitve lines is the true cause of the overplaying of certain players. They ARE being overplayed....out of necessity. The favourtism/nepotism argument is getting very tiresome.

mapletoft
01-25-2007, 09:50 PM
Sutter has proven himself only with teams that others have built - i.e. Mem Cup, WJC's - elite teams.

He is definitely struggling with building his own team as a GM/Coach. Why do some players have such a hard time playing for him? Because he only has one tool - preach hard work. Today he states that Reimer is sitting because he is struggling - how ironic. The coaching staff must be struggling to - can not consistently motivate their players. Other than a Phanuef, Ward or Fraser who has developed under Sutter? hmmm...nothing comes to mind.

Sutter has his two puppets need to resort to other tactics to motivate and teach the players how to play other than just yelling at them and kicking garbage cans and breaking clocks in front of them. Anybody can do that but can one of these guys coach a powerplay unit that has a system to it?

Treat these boys with some respect might be a better option. Help them grow as people not as puppets!

I am continually despising the fact that Sutter is his own boss. I would like to see him jump to the NHL for the Rebels sake and then he could learn about respecting people at a higher level because Sutter hasn't picked up that concept here.

Shinyshoes
01-25-2007, 11:05 PM
I am continually despising the fact that Sutter is his own boss. I would like to see him jump to the NHL for the Rebels sake and then he could learn about respecting people at a higher level because Sutter hasn't picked up that concept here. WOW!!

We lose a couple of games, lethbridge wins a couple and now we are ready to get rid of Sutter, re-vamp the powerplay, and shoot all our defencemen?

First thing first, I think we will turn things around, and we will make the playoffs, but will we win the Memorial Cup? No, but did anyone really expect that at the start of the year?

Come on you guys. Junior Hockey goes in cycles. It always has. We are currently playing through the players we got durring the draft years we had extremely late picks in the draft. In 2002, we didnt pick untill 19th overall (Paul Kurceba), then not again untill 38th(Dan Mercer). in 03, 19th(Matt Cline) and 39th(Jordan Knackstedt). In 04, We traded up to get the 6th pick (Brandon Sutter), then in 2005 it started to improve, and we picked 12th(Cass Mappin) and 32(Zach Stebner), then in 06, 2nd, and got a blue chipper in Ferraro.

When you look at the players we have got in the more recent drafts (Ferraro, Mappin, Stebner, Kot, Archer, Scarborough, Fraser, Clark, Brandon Sutter, Kozyra, Betts, Levarsky) We have some pretty good talent for our 15,16 and 17 year olds, many of which are playing, or have already played in the WHL. Then you compare that talent level to the years beyond that (Cline, Knackstedt, Frere, Leblanc, Kurceba, Mercer, Dittmer, Peeters, Flatters, Herman). In my mind, the younger group makes me quite a bit more excited than the older group.

I dont know about you guys, but as long as we make the playoffs, i will call this a successful year. Successfull beacause despite the picks we had in those drafts, we have made a pretty damn good team, and a damn good showing. Not to mention that we are getting our team of the future ready for what should be an excellent few seasons, starting with the 08-09 team. I am willing to sit through a couple of below average years in exchange for a shot at the cup, versus being slightly over average every season.

SectionNDeserter
01-25-2007, 11:29 PM
He is definitely struggling with building his own team as a GM/Coach. Why do some players have such a hard time playing for him? Because he only has one tool - preach hard work.Really? And how do you know he has only one tool? Maybe you could be the new coach! haha

Today he states that Reimer is sitting because he is struggling - how ironic. The coaching staff must be struggling to - can not consistently motivate their players.Sitting on the bench, watching a 16 year old creep up on your starter job is motivation. Not motivating him would be telling him that letting in soft goals wasn't his fault, and that even though he was selected in the NHL draft there aren't very big expectations of him.

Other than a Phanuef, Ward or Fraser who has developed under Sutter? hmmm...nothing comes to mind.Yes, only 2 NHL superstars in 8 years...

I am continually despising the fact that Sutter is his own boss. I would like to see him jump to the NHL for the Rebels sake and then he could learn about respecting people at a higher level because Sutter hasn't picked up that concept here.I honestly don't know if an NHL team would pay a rookie coach more than what he is making running the Rebels and such here, especially one that is as terrible as you say... Think back to what the team was like when Simpson owned it, and then give your head a shake.

hockey4
01-26-2007, 01:55 AM
Sutter has proven himself only with teams that others have built - i.e. Mem Cup, WJC's - elite teams.

He is definitely struggling with building his own team as a GM/Coach. Why do some players have such a hard time playing for him? Because he only has one tool - preach hard work. Today he states that Reimer is sitting because he is struggling - how ironic. The coaching staff must be struggling to - can not consistently motivate their players. Other than a Phanuef, Ward or Fraser who has developed under Sutter? hmmm...nothing comes to mind.

Sutter has his two puppets need to resort to other tactics to motivate and teach the players how to play other than just yelling at them and kicking garbage cans and breaking clocks in front of them. Anybody can do that but can one of these guys coach a powerplay unit that has a system to it?

Treat these boys with some respect might be a better option. Help them grow as people not as puppets!

I am continually despising the fact that Sutter is his own boss. I would like to see him jump to the NHL for the Rebels sake and then he could learn about respecting people at a higher level because Sutter hasn't picked up that concept here.

Hard work is a terrible thing eh. give ur head a shake. ill give u the first world junior team, but the second one was all Sutter. And in case you forgot, most ofthe key players for the mem cup year were all either acquired or developed the previous year as 16 and 17 year olds (Lupaschuk, Erat, Stepp, Lynch, Armstrong, Wanvig, Gordon). it takes coaching to develop players, scouts just save the coach time and find them for him, they dont develope them.

Who has developed, well i would make strong cases for Phaneuf, Ward, Fraser, Gordon, Armstrong, Germyn that have played pro games, and the solid minor leaguers include, Taylor, Meech, Ellison, Keith, Woywitka, Lynch. Do some homework man.

God u ask Sutter to treat them with respect and you call them puppets, classy. And if you havent noticed with todays youth, being kind and gentle doesnt get the message across.

Go around the community and ask what they think of some of the players that have gone through here. I know some current and former billets, and they do nothing but praise the likes of gordon, fraser, woywitka, ward, neiszner, meech. They are developing as people, you just to caught up in ur personal vendetta that your blind to the facts.

And to top it off you say its best for him to leave "for the rebels sake". your insane man, and i dare you to come up with 5 names who would be better at running the franchise.

SectionNDeserter
01-26-2007, 07:27 AM
Kevin Constatine has done a pretty decent job with an expansion team bringing a contender every year.He has done an amazing job there, though he does have more experience at every level of coaching.

Don Hay seems to have a pretty good handle on how to develop players as well.Another good coach, but they have/had a lot of high draft picks to work with/make deals with after a rough first 2 seasons.

Try sitting at a table next to a few of these players (outside the Sutter boys) and you will be surprised at what they have to say. Its not all a bed of roses playing for him.Try sitting next to ANY group of WHL players who aren't playing up to their potential, and you will hear the same thing. Thats because it is always easier to blame someone else, rather than yourself. If these players were looking for a bed of roses, they should retire from the WHL now, and play non-competative hockey.

mapletoft
01-26-2007, 08:09 AM
Really? And how do you know he has only one tool? Maybe you could be the new coach!
That is pretty much all I have seen in the last couple of years. I'll pass on the new coach thing - thanks for thinking of me though.

WOW!!
We lose a couple of games, lethbridge wins a couple and now we are ready to get rid of Sutter, re-vamp the powerplay, and shoot all our defencemen?
Nah, this has been brewing for a while. No need to shoot the defencemen, they have done a fantastic job without decent defensive coaching...puppet Guame...does he make a difference on the team? I hear the players don't really care for the guy!

Come on you guys. Junior Hockey goes in cycles. It always has.
Of course, it does, and for me thats not the point.

God u ask Sutter to treat them with respect and you call them puppets, classy. And if you havent noticed with todays youth, being kind and gentle doesnt get the message across.
No, I'm not God! Hmmmm...respect seems to work in other places, I'm not calling the players puppets! I don't think your statement would jive with the players. Yelling, breaking, swearing, humiliating doesn't work with 16-20 year olds is the reverse of your statement. Think about it... :confused:

Try sitting next to ANY group of WHL players who aren't playing up to their potential, and you will hear the same thing. Thats because it is always easier to blame someone else, rather than yourself. If these players were looking for a bed of roses, they should retire from the WHL now, and play non-competative hockey.
Bed of roses...blah, blah...come on...the players should be able to enjoy coming to the rink. If you are not a Sutter or a Sutter puppet he will eventually have no use for you! One of Sutters whipping boys is Henry...shall I say it doesn't surprise me that you endlessly rant on him? :rolleyes:

Think back to what the team was like when Simpson owned it, and then give your head a shake.
I think it is due time you give your own head a shake. Sutter is a bit of a Simpson clone except he treated the players better.

My point can be summarized in this, Knackstedt loves it in Moose Jaw. The coach doesn't tear him down but instead builds him up - he has confidence which Sutter seems just to expect from his players, instead of developing it!! :)

SectionNDeserter
01-26-2007, 08:58 AM
That is pretty much all I have seen in the last couple of years.I had no idea you have been sitting on the bench with them all this time... Which one are you?

puppet Guame...does he make a difference on the team? I hear the players don't really care for the guy!I think he is the "good cop" to Sutter's "bad cop". :D

Bed of roses...blah, blah...come on...the players should be able to enjoy coming to the rink. If you are not a Sutter or a Sutter puppet he will eventually have no use for you!They sure seem happy on the ice during warmup/practice. Though I am not on the bench with them like you would seem to be....

One of Sutters whipping boys is Henry...shall I say it doesn't surprise me that you endlessly rant on him? :rolleyes:Endlessly rant? I have complained about him what? 3 times? Sutter was tough on the guy and stripped him of his 'A' during about a 10 game stretch where he was in fact, brutal. I wouldn't call a guy who is getting like 35 minutes of ice time a game a 'whipping boy'.

I think it is due time you give your own head a shake. Sutter is a bit of a Simpson clone except he treated the players better.Ahh, sorry about the Simpson analogy, I was incorrectly assuming that despite your close ties with the current coaches and their relationships with the players, you were here when Simpson owned the team (obviously you were not, my mistake).... This team was dying under Simpson's ownership, and Sutter completely turned it around. There are about 6000 people a night that don't seem to agree with you.

My point can be summarized in this, Knackstedt loves it in Moose Jaw. The coach doesn't tear him down but instead builds him up - he has confidence which Sutter seems just to expect from his players.Wow! who are you!?!? You are sitting on the bench in Moose Jaw too?!?!?!!??!? :confused: How could you possibly know what the coach in Moose Jaw is doing with Knackstedt? Knackstedt would be putting up the numbers he is in Moose Jaw in Red Deer if he were playing on the first or second line here. Unfortunately he is not as good of an all around player as Moore or Starkov and was just a victim of our RW depth. The Knackstedt deal was made for as much Knackstedt's benefit as it was to try to help strengthen our depth at center, and to try to improve our defense a little--not because Sutter had some sort of hatred for Knackstedt.

hockey4
01-26-2007, 09:41 AM
That is pretty much all I have seen in the last couple of years. I'll pass on the new coach thing - thanks for thinking of me though.

Nah, this has been brewing for a while. No need to shoot the defencemen, they have done a fantastic job without decent defensive coaching...puppet Guame...does he make a difference on the team? I hear the players don't really care for the guy!

Of course, it does, and for me thats not the point.

No, I'm not God! Hmmmm...respect seems to work in other places, I'm not calling the players puppets! I don't think your statement would jive with the players. Yelling, breaking, swearing, humiliating doesn't work with 16-20 year olds is the reverse of your statement. Think about it... :confused:

Bed of roses...blah, blah...come on...the players should be able to enjoy coming to the rink. If you are not a Sutter or a Sutter puppet he will eventually have no use for you! One of Sutters whipping boys is Henry...shall I say it doesn't surprise me that you endlessly rant on him? :rolleyes:

I think it is due time you give your own head a shake. Sutter is a bit of a Simpson clone except he treated the players better.

My point can be summarized in this, Knackstedt loves it in Moose Jaw. The coach doesn't tear him down but instead builds him up - he has confidence which Sutter seems just to expect from his players, instead of developing it!! :)

Yah who is going our d-men. O Right gaume, that terrible man who has seen the likes of Kukka, Phaneuf, Meech, Thoma, Woywitka, Lynch turn pro. you must be a parent whose kid is on the 4th line.

And you think Sutter just yells to yell, its called preparing them for the real world. When you make mistakes at work, you can get fired, demoted and yelled, which are all much more serious than being yelled at for making a bad pass. Hes simple preparing them for life outside hockey. If Sutter treated his players brutally, the why is it that EVERY kid that gets traded here cant wait. Word spreads quickly in the dub, and from all accounts players still like coming here. And ll bet your the guy that says, "Well there so happy to leave". Yah well find me a handful of players that have been traded from here who have turned out to be decent pros.

And like Shinyshoes stated, yah a lot of the players who won with Red Deer were DRAFTED before Sutter got here, but weve also seen the likes of Flatters, Cline, Herman, Kurceba, Mercer, ect.. go through here, all high draft picks.

RebelsFan
01-26-2007, 10:01 AM
I spoke recently with Jordan Knackstedt's Dad at a game and he said Jordan does like it in Moose Jaw. He also said that Jordan loved it in Red Deer and has nothing but nice things to say about his time there. It was a good move for Red Deer and Jordan, he will get the ice time he needs to develop. But he doesn't have anything bad to say about his time in Red Deer!

hockey4
01-26-2007, 10:08 AM
thats good to hear. Dont tell Mapletoft and longtimefan though, they dont like to hear those things.

hockey4
01-26-2007, 10:13 AM
Kevin Constatine has done a pretty decent job with an expansion team bringing a contender every year. Expansion season with many 16 and 17 year old players to top it off. Thats called development. Don Hay seems to have a pretty good handle on how to develop players as well. Take a look at the NHL entry draft last june and the list for the up coming draft. Many players from Everett. Very well developed players, some even drafted in the 10th and 11th rounds from the 03 bantam draft. Your say our youth is to soft and needs to be pushed past the line, have you ever played this level of hockey. These players are respected young guys throughout the community already. They receive more respect from the fans than from Sutter. Respect is a two way street, you have to earn it to get it, right now I don't think Sutter gets to much respect from alot of the players. They don't work this hard to be at this level only to have mind games played with them. Try sitting at a table next to a few of these players (outside the Sutter boys) and you will be surprised at what they have to say. Its not all a bed of roses playing for him.

Sutter pushes them to there limits, which i belive is great for hockey and personal development. The players also get treated like gold, like with there lockerroom and bus. Look at the pics on the website. Was talking to a billet, and the kids always have a new jacket, or a new track suit, and i believe she said they all have team overnight-bags. So unfortunatly for you longtimefan, you are of the minority in red deer when it comes to your position on Sutter.

WHL Rules
01-26-2007, 11:40 AM
You think getting a track suit or sports bag makes up for being humilated in front of your peers. You are right I am probably in the minority, but I am probably one of the few not owned by him and not scared to state my opinion.

Hiding behind your computer. Posting anonymous on a message board. How brave of you! applause

WHL Rules
01-26-2007, 12:33 PM
So what your birth name is WHL rules. What kind of remark is that. Everybody on this MESSAGE board has a handle. Thats why is called a message board, so fans can discuss different opinions on hockey topics. So if your not behind your computer when responding to opinions how exactly are you sending this message.

The difference is that I don't think it's particular brave to rip people on a message board.
You obviously have an issue with Sutter. Fair enough. But you claim that you are the only one not scarred of Sutter (implying that everyone here who doesn't share you opinion is either scared of or bought by Sutter).

WHL Rules
01-26-2007, 12:48 PM
If you read all posts you will find a one time or another that every poster on this board has given a negative statement about someone (including yourself) that not everyone agrees with. For you to slam me is no different. Now we can argue until hell freezes over about this but its really getting away from a true hockey topic. You call me a minority, thats your opinion, good on you. I can guarantee though some where down the line we will agree on some issues as well, does that still make me the minority.

Where have I called you a minority? You called yourself

You are right I am probably in the minority, but I am probably one of the few not owned by him and not scared to state my opinion.

No offense, but this implies to me that anyone here who doesn't share your opinion on Sutter is either controlled by Sutter or scarred of him.

carson
01-26-2007, 01:56 PM
Who has developed, well i would make strong cases for Phaneuf, Ward, Fraser, Gordon, Armstrong, Germyn that have played pro games, and the solid minor leaguers include, Taylor, Meech, Ellison, Keith, Woywitka, Lynch. Do some homework man.

Good points, but you forgot the two that came to my mind first: Wanvig and Vandeermeer. Wanvig was on his way to Bendera-ville (ie, ruining his career with attitude problems) and Vandermeer was heading to a career in the ECHL before Sutter started coaching them. They both owe where they're at largely to Sutter and both will tell you the same.

hockey4
01-26-2007, 02:41 PM
You think getting a track suit or sports bag makes up for being humilated in front of your peers. You are right I am probably in the minority, but I am probably one of the few not owned by him and not scared to state my opinion.

You think your coach yelling at you for screwing up drills and playing like crap is humiliating. All the players get yelled at, so i cant see it being remotely humiliating. And yes, he even yells at brandon and brett, watch him the next time brandon makes a mistake. Humiliating would be to approach a player off the ice with his teamates and yap at him about non-hockey related issues.

Im sure the players think hes a hard ass and talk **** behind his back, but none of them would trade it for the world. They would prob all rather have him than a coach who just sits back, talks friendly and is everybody's best friend. They will learn NOTHING from a coach like that.

One of the few not owned by him. What does that even mean. You say it like he runs the whole city as a dictatorship. A lot of people in this town have respect for him, except you though cause your kid got cut.

hockey4
01-26-2007, 02:53 PM
This just proves you don't know everything about the team. Enough said.

are you on the team?

SectionNDeserter
01-26-2007, 06:28 PM
Good points, but you forgot the two that came to my mind first: Wanvig and Vandeermeer. Wanvig was on his way to Bendera-ville (ie, ruining his career with attitude problems) and Vandermeer was heading to a career in the ECHL before Sutter started coaching them. They both owe where they're at largely to Sutter and both will tell you the same.Both excellent points. These are two guys that exemplify Sutter's brand of hockey. Sadly, they just don't seem to make defensemen like Vandermeer anymore. :(

mapletoft
01-27-2007, 01:08 AM
Okay SectionN you are starting to scare me...your statements sound like either you are Brent Sutter or his best pal...you come across as a know it all, I'm right person...

I had no idea you have been sitting on the bench with them all this time... Which one are you?
What am I supposed to say to a comment like that....?...right next to you Sutter? huh? come on...

Simpson owned the team (obviously you were not, my mistake)....
Come on...I don't know when you are assuming or thinking that 6000 other fans think like you...is it okay with you if people do not like Sutter?? I hope I didn't hurt you feelings too much by stating an opinion.

Lets talk hockey, not telling each other to give our heads a shake, you're wrong...I'm right...everyone agrees with me.

nhl

hockey4
01-27-2007, 02:56 AM
i dont think SND has a problem with you not liking Sutter, its that you pass him off as being an abusive, power-hungry, dream-wrecking a**hole. I have met him only once but was a very nice person.

SectionNDeserter
01-27-2007, 07:56 AM
I have no problem with you stating an opinion on something. What you are doing is crossing into the area of personally attacking someone's character, with little more than baseless, "gut-feeling" type accusations (and there is already a message board elsewhere for that). Much like yourself, I have absolutely no idea what actually goes on in the dressing room, and only marginally more information about what is being said on the bench and in practice. Who knows? Maybe you are correct, and Brent Sutter is the monster that you make him out to be. Until there is some way to back that up, lets just ease up on the personal attacks against the guy, and get back to talking about hockey.

Tinner
01-27-2007, 09:07 AM
Boy, some pretty good opinions on this subject and I can agree or disagree with a lot of them. I will however choose to make only a couple of observations regarding them.

1. Quote "the why is it that EVERY kid that gets traded here cant wait. Word spreads quickly in the dub, and from all accounts players still like coming here". This quote is not as accurarate as you think. Word does spread fast in the dub and the word is that players really dont want to come here because of Brent and his behind the scenes antics. Giving the players new coats and all that kind of stuff is an attempt to make up for the disrespectful treatment that is constant both publicly and privately. What do you expect a player to say when he finds out he's traded to another team when asked? Sometimes you make the best of a bad thing by saying "I'm looking forward to the change of scenery".

2. I remember being at a weekend outing 3 years ago, with a bunch of friends and friends of friends, and it was a great camping weekend. Sutter was there and one of the topics that arose during the course of many hockey related conversations was the bidding and hosting of the 2007 Memorial Cup. Of course many of us were excited that the Rebels would have a chance to host, but could the team be good enough to host. At the end of the day, Brent made some very open statements about the future Rebel teams and he felt that he could not honestly bid because he felt that the team would not be competitive enough.........without trades to beef up. Of course the concern there was making those trades and destroying your future. In the end, he was right, this team this year is not competitive enough. But it might be less than even he thought it would be.

So, all we can do is watch the remaining games and hope that they are exciting, the team wins its share and maybe even get 1 round into the playoffs. As the person says that wears the shoes that shine....next year is supposed to be our breakout year with all the prospects we have and by all accounts, is the year that we should be strong as any team. I've already resigned myself to watching the games for pure enjoyment and looking forward to next year.

SectionNDeserter
01-27-2007, 10:50 AM
So, all we can do is watch the remaining games and hope that they are exciting, the team wins its share and maybe even get 1 round into the playoffs. As the person says that wears the shoes that shine....next year is supposed to be our breakout year with all the prospects we have and by all accounts, is the year that we should be strong as any team. I've already resigned myself to watching the games for pure enjoyment and looking forward to next year.Agreed. As long as we beat Calgary this season (which we will have to REALLY struggle to not do), I am content. I think that our overage situation next season will be very interesting, as I think realistically only Pieper will be in a position to return to the team (with Brett Sutter as an outside chance), so we will have 2 overage slots open next year. Any ideas as to who or what kind of player Sutter might be looking at to fill these two slots?

mapletoft
01-27-2007, 11:25 AM
What you are doing is crossing into the area of personally attacking someone's character, with little more than baseless, "gut-feeling" type accusations (and there is already a message board elsewhere for that). Much like yourself, I have absolutely no idea what actually goes on in the dressing room, and only marginally more information about what is being said on the bench and in practice. Who knows? Maybe you are correct, and Brent Sutter is the monster that you make him out to be. Until there is some way to back that up, lets just ease up on the personal attacks against the guy, and get back to talking about hockey.
Yes, I do have a problem with Sutter's character and the way he treats his players on and off the ice. What I am stating his just fine on this type of message board. I did not ask for your permission to do so and never will. I will state my observations and my gut feelings, let there be no doubt. That is common on all message boards within regulations. I have not crossed that line. I don't know Sutter personally, only as a coach. That may different for you, perhaps. You have attacked Henry and Cann on other emails and that is just fine - it is about them as hockey players.
The problem is when you cross the line and attack other posters regarding their opinions. Everyone is entitled to their opinions unless they attack people personally. All my comments are directed towards these people as hockey people whose play/decisions/actions I pay to watch.

Now, like you stated, lets talk hockey.

Spencer Edwards will be awesome to watch tonight, speed is his game!

hockey4
01-27-2007, 01:49 PM
1. Word does spread fast in the dub and the word is that players really dont want to come here because of Brent and his behind the scenes antics. Giving the players new coats and all that kind of stuff is an attempt to make up for the disrespectful treatment that is constant both publicly and privately. What do you expect a player to say when he finds out he's traded to another team when asked? Sometimes you make the best of a bad thing by saying "I'm looking forward to the change of scenery".

I respect your opinion, but i also know 2 or three of the billet parents, and from what i can remember they have hosted a total of around 5 kids who have been traded here in the last 5 years. Never has the kid not been totally pumped to be here. That comes from the kids mouth, to the billets mouth, and now im saying it. These boys know what kind of players have been developed here, and understand its a tough love environment. But as ive stated before, in the long run, these kids will appreciate a coach who calls them on there mistakes, and challenges them, as opposed to a coach who is there best friend.

3rebels
01-27-2007, 04:45 PM
Okay - word spreads in the Dub. Why did Marty Hanzal want to only play here or 1 other city. For the record I respect what Brent has done since his arrival and I have nothing but good things to say about Dallas and Jesse. The coaches make mistakes and Brent has always played and been a "Heart On His Sleeve" even during his Rustler days, so why should he change ?? Almost every player I have had the pleasure of talking with over the last 7 - 8 years likes coming to and playing in Red Deer.
REMEMBER what the old adage is: OPINIONS ARE LIKE A**H***S, everybody has one. Respect gentlemen is what we need. If you cannot take "Constructive criticism" then be careful of your posts.
And on another note - - How about Dion's goal in the ASG ???
I think he is in the wrong sport, should be a curler !!
lol
nhl 3