PDA

View Full Version : Doyle ready to deliver

Scout
01-28-2007, 10:19 AM
Last updated at 10:37 AM on 26/01/07

Newcomer Doyle ready to deliver for Broncos

BY STEVEN MAH

Given the Broncos recent road struggles, all of the members of the Swift Current Broncos are probably thankful for their current five-game home stand, though likely no one more than their newest teammate Eric Doyle.

The 6'2' 191 lb defensemen was acquired from the Everett Silvertips at the WHL trade deadline in a deal that sent 19-year-old defenseman Dane Crowley to Everett along with 16-year-old prospect Jordan Mistelbacher, and has been on a whirlwind tour of CHL rinks for the past three weeks. At one point Doyle had played a hockey game in five different provinces in a period of 13 days.

Doyle admitted that the trade was tough but his feelings have changed a little and he is ready to refocus for the playoff run.

"I was kind of upset at first leaving such a good organization. I am coming to a little bit of a younger team here but if we have a good stretch here we can certainly open some eyes and hopefully go far in the playoffs," Doyle said before practice on Tuesday.

And he likes what he sees from his new teammates.

"They are a team that works very hard. They really like to win and they really take pride in the jersey that they wear."

With his team now at the Civic Centre until Feb. 2, Doyle is thankful for the travelling break.

"It's nice to finally get settled in with the billets and today will be my first practice. It has been good so far. It's just nice to be home for a couple of games in a row here."

Head coach Dean Chynoweth likes what he sees so far from his newest acquisition.

"I don't think that you can evaluate him after six games. He is a player that I have watched for the last three years. He brings a very good skill set, a capability to move the puck and make plays, and his vision is a strength. He has a lot to work on in the defensive side of the game. That has not been a surprise. He has been beat a few times one on one and there are nights that, no different then the other group of guys, he is 17. I have been happy with him."

In his first six games as a Bronco, Doyle has a goal and two assists, scoring his first goal on Sunday night to help the Broncos to a shootout win. The goal came as a relief to Doyle.

"It was huge. It was nice to get the monkey off my back and get that first one out of the way. I had a few games on the road but I could not score, so it was nice to get that first one at home."

Doyle is a highly regarded prospect who was the sixth rated WHL skater and 19th out of all North American skaters in the Central Scouting Service's mid term rankings.

Doyle took part in the CHL/NHL Top Prospects game in Quebec City on Jan. 17. He earned two assists for his team that was coached by Michel Bergeron and Pat Burns and helped his team win 5-3.

"It was great. It was nice to see how I sized up with the other draft eligible guys from around the CHL. It was nice playing for a couple of legendary coaches. There was a couple of hundred NHL personnel in the stands so it was nice to have a good game there."

He admits that there is certainly some additional pressure that comes along with the scouts that watch him on a nightly basis.

"It's nerve racking at times but you just have to block them out and play your game. You know that they are there but there is nothing you can do about it other than play well."

For fans that have yet to catch Doyle in action he explains his on ice abilities.

"I am hoping to bring an offensive game. I think I am a pretty solid defenseman. I just have to find my offensive game and I think that I can start putting up some numbers."

Tuesday was Doyle's first practice, and he was looking forward to finally doing some drills with his team after playing six games without any on ice learning.

"It was tough at first in the first couple of games. But I am starting to get used to it and it's coming a lot easier to me now. Hopefully I can just keep on getting better."