PDA

View Full Version : Keens Korner Warriors/Broncos

Scout
01-30-2007, 08:47 AM
Monday, January 29, 2007
Season Slipping Away

I hate to use that term, but unless the Broncos turn things around in February, it won't be a very happy late March.

Last night, as Broncos Assistant Coach Dave Hunchak said it in the post-game show "just when you think you have all the holes in the boat plugged, a new one spouts up some where."

Last night it was goaltending. Nine goals against on 34 shots chased both starter Travis Yonkman and then his replacement Kyle Moir in the 2nd period back in favor of Yonkman. Dean Chynoweth has made a "Mike Keenan like" eight goaltender changes in the last six games! Maybe they will start making goaltending changes on the fly, a brand new six skaters on the ice at a time.

Steven Gillen will never forget last night. His 4g,3a is no doubt a career WHL night for him now in his 20 year-old season. Former Legionnaires defenseman Cody Thoring chipped in with five assists as the two teams traded goals throughout.

Tied 3-3 after one, then 6-6 after two, it was the Warriors who kept the pace up in third period scoring three more times for the 9-6 win. The loss is also the Broncos third in a row on home ice.

The loss moves the Broncos to 9 points from being completely removed from the post-season even though they still sit in 2nd place in the east division.

How about Nathan Wieler and Sheldon Dean last night in the stripes? Halfway through the game the powerplays favored the Broncos 9-1. Rule of thumb says eventually the powerplays will get evened up, but how do you even up the PP's at that point? Easy. The rest of the game the powerplay favored Moose Jaw 9-1! When the game ended the chances were even 10-10, unbelievable. Has anyone else noticed how drastic the games are when there's two referees instead of one? I prefer just the one ref, the game seems to flow better.

The Broncos host the Red Deer Rebels Wednesday in their 4th and final meeting of the season. Red Deer has won all three. In the three previous games Martin Hanzal, Kirill Starkov have had a points smorgasborg. If they are stopped so are the Rebels.

Have a good week,
Jon

Flathead
01-30-2007, 02:54 PM
Has anyone else noticed how drastic the games are when there's two referees instead of one? I prefer just the one ref, the game seems to flow better.

I've noticed and agree, the two ref system does not work and 9 times outta 10 what would have been a good game is wrecked by the two ref system. A lot of the times one ref will call 5 penalties and then the other ref figures he better catch up, so he starts calling penalties.