PDA

View Full Version : Game 50 Vs. Tri-Cities

Tipped Off
01-30-2007, 11:04 AM
#1 vs #2 Wednesday Night in Everett, Don't Miss Out!
The Everett Silvertips capped off a super week by defeating the Chilliwack Bruins 4-3 in overtime on Sunday night at the Everett Events Center to post a 4-0 record for the week. The Silvertips, having already clinched a playoff berth in the 2007 WHL Playoffs, currently are in first place in the US Division and have the overall best record in the WHL with a 40-7-0-2 (82 points) record. The Silvertips will play three games this week against Western Conference opponents. On Wednesday night, January 31, the Silvertips battle the Tri-City Americans in a pivotal US Division match up at the Everett Events Center at 7:05 p.m. The Silvertips and the Americans will face off again on Friday night, February 2, in Kennewick, WA at the Toyota Center at 7:05 p.m. Everett returns home at the Everett Events Center on Saturday night, February 3, to battle the Chilliwack Bruins to finish off the week at 7:05 p.m

SILVERTIPS LEADING SCORERS

The Silvertips are led in scoring by Zach Hamill (21 goals, 47 assists) with 68 points. Peter Mueller (13 goals, 47 assists) is 2nd on the hockey club in scoring with 60 points. Kyle Beach (25 goals, 25 assists) is 3rd on the team in scoring with 50 points. Mueller and Hamill currently lead the Silvertips in assists (47) while Moises Gutierrez (31 goals, 14 assists) leads the team in goals scored (31) and power play goals (23). Silvertips forward Kyle Beach leads the hockey club in +/- with a +21. In goal, Leland Irving has posted 25 wins, 1.73 GAA, 93.4% SP and 7 Shutouts. David Reekie is currently 15-3 with the Silvertips and has posted a 1.43 GAA, 93.6% SP and 3 shutouts with Everett this season

VERSUS THE BC DIVISION
The Silvertips are 13-1 against BC Division opponents this season. (7-0 @ Home, 6-1 @ Road) The Silvertips are 14-1 against BC Division opponents this season. (8-0 @ Home, 6-1 @ Road)

VERSUS THE US DIVISION
The Silvertips are 16-6-0-2 against the US Division this season. (10-1-0-1 @ Home, 6-5-0-1 @ Road)

VERSUS THE TRI-CITY AMERICANS

Wednesday night will be the fourth of eight meetings between the two US Division rivals. The Silvertips are 2-0-0-1 against the Americans this season and 2-0 against the Ams’ at the Everett Events Center and 0-0- 0-1 against Tri-City in Kennewick, WA. The Silvertips are 17-11-2 (OT)-1(SOL)-3 (Ties) all time against the Americans in franchise history. Everett is 10-4-0-0-3 (Ties) all time against Tri-City at the Everett Events Center and 7-7-2 (OTL)-1 (SOL) all time against the Ams’ in Kennewick, WA. Future Meetings: January 31: @ Everett, February 2: @ Tri-City, February 7: @ Everett, March 10: @ Tri-City, March 16: @ Tri-City.

Tipped Off
01-31-2007, 11:35 AM
Ams set to face Everett
This story was published Wednesday, January 31st, 2007

By Annie Fowler, Herald staff writer

Zach Sim is back in black.

While the Tri-City Americans forwards dress in blue, green, orange and gray during practice, the defensemen wear black. After injuries to D-men Matt Swaby and Eric Mestery last week and Jarrett Toll the week before, Sim traded in a colorful sweater for a black one for Tuesday's practice.

"It's been back and forth, but I don't mind," said Sim of his duties since arriving in the Tri-Cities on Dec. 6. "Hockey's hockey. It keeps me in the league, on the team and in the lineup. I'll never be a 30-goal scorer, so I'll do what it takes to stay."

The Americans will need to utilize all of their weapons tonight when they play at

U.S. Division-leading Everett (40-7-0-2, 82 points).

Tri-Cities (31-16-0-1, 63 points), second in the division standings, has won seven in a row for the second time this season and is 9-1-0-0 in its last 10 games. Tri-Cities has not won more than 31 regular-season games since 1998-99, when it won 43.

"Seven in a row is nice. I just hope we don't lose three in a row like we did earlier this year when we had that streak," said veteran forward Mike Kaye, who returns after missing 15 games with a knee injury.

Sim played defense for several games when he joined the Americans, then was moved after injuries hit the forward lines.

"I'm a natural defenseman," Sim said. "When I was in Everett (last season), there were injuries up front and I learned the system real well. The team (Tri-Cities) knew I had experience up front, and when Mike (Kaye) and them got hurt, they asked if I'd go back up."

With Sim in the lineup, the Americans have nine players who can play on the blue line.

"Sometimes people wonder why a team would keep nine D-men, but when Matt, Mestery and Toll got hurt, it's good to have that many guys," Sim said. "The six we have now can play in all situations."

Kaye, 19, said his knee is good to go after taking a hit from Portland's Viktor Sjodin on Dec. 10.

"He apologized," Kaye said. "If I'd have been in his situation, I'd have finished the hit, too. I've hit some guys like that in my career. That's part of the game."

Tipped Off
01-31-2007, 11:39 AM
Everett rewind

Record: 40-7-0-2, first in the U.S. Division and best in the Western Hockey League.

Last week: The Silvertips became the first team in the WHL to clinch a playoff spot by collecting all eight points in four games. They beat the Portland Winter Hawks 5-3 at home on Wednesday and then 9-0 Friday in Portland. They beat the Seattle Thunderbirds 3-1 at KeyArena on Saturday before scoring a dramatic a 4-3 overtime win over Chilliwack on Sunday.

This week: The Silvertips are home against the second-place Tri-City Americans tonight, travel to Kennewick to play the Americans on Friday and return home to play Chilliwack on Saturday.

Star of the week: In four games, Zach Hamill had 13 points on four goals and nine assists and was selected the WHL player of the week. He now leads the Western Hockey League in scoring with 68 points in 47 games.

Who's hot: Kyle Beach had a point in all four games and finished the week with four goals and six assists. He has 25 goals and 50 points to tie for 25th in the league in scoring.

Rankings this week: For the eighth straight week, the Silvertips are ranked first in the 56-team Canadian Hockey League in a poll of NHL scouts that was released Jan. 24. Everett is also ranked first in the WHL in a poll of newspaper writers who cover the league.

Quote of the week: "We're leading the CHL for a reason. We didn't really panic after falling behind (3-0) in the first period and just went out there, stayed patient and got things done." — Everett defenseman Jesse Zetariuk after the Silvertips rallied to beat Chilliwack 4-3 in overtime on Sunday.

— Jim Riley

Tipped Off
01-31-2007, 11:02 PM
12:43 of the 3rd, tips up 2-1 and beach puts as cheap a shot on yellow horn as you'll see. Yellow horn stayed down for a while, but came back shortly after the penalty started, but I don't care. I come to see good, hard fought hockey...not cheap a$$ crap like that.

Stay-Puft
02-01-2007, 10:31 AM
According to radio, Boogaard was trying to have a talk with Beach, but an Everett teammate got between them and then Beach started yapping to the Ams bench shortly before it became 4-1. I guess he didn't see the ice after that either.

Sounded on the radio like a hard fought game between both teams, with some very nice-looking goals, except for the cheap shot. Something you should expect from these teams. I hope to see a clean, exciting hockey game here on Friday.

Tipped Off
02-01-2007, 10:58 AM
Beach played like a 16 YO last night. Stupid penalties, cheap shots, yapping. KC was definately irritated with him by the end of the game. You could just see it on the bench.

As for the Clean game Friday night, I wouldn't be so sure...

From today's Everett Herald article:

"I didn't like some of the hits they (the Silvertips) threw tonight," Nachbaur continued. "There will be a response at some point."

I'll post the hwole article next.

Tipped Off
02-01-2007, 11:09 AM
Silvertips rampage
Trailing 1-0, Everett scores four unanswered goals, three of them in the third period, to beat Tri-City and end the Americans' seven-game streak

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

EVERETT - The Everett Silvertips sure know how to spoil a good Tri-City party.

For the second time this season, the Americans came into the Everett Events Center riding a seven-game winning streak. And for the second time they left on the wrong end of a 4-1 decision as the Silvertips again asserted their first-place standing in the U.S. Division.

After falling behind, Everett scored four unanswered goals, the final three coming in the third period, as the Tips extended their own winning streak to six.

"We didn't think about their winning streak," said Everett left wing Ondrej Fiala, who scored what proved to be the game-winning goal. "We just tried to win the game because Tri-City's in the same division. Every game against teams in our division we've got to be ready to play."

Jesse Smyke, Brandon Campos and Peter Mueller also scored for Everett (41-7-0-2), which overcame a sluggish first 30 minutes.

"If you look at who controlled play most of the night, I thought they did," Everett coach Kevin Constantine said. "They were a good team at the beginning of the year, then they added a couple players at the trade deadline, and I think right now they're clearly one of the best teams in the league."

Emotions were high in the contest between two of the hottest teams in the WHL, even if the level of play wasn't always the best. However, this time the roles were reversed. In past meetings, Everett was on the receiving end of the questionable hits, but this time it was the Tips who dished them out. Brennan Sonne got a major penalty and game misconduct for kneeing Tyler Schmidt, and Kyle Beach received a double-minor for a check from behind on Colton Yellow Horn.

"These guys are tough," Tri-City coach Don Nachbaur said about the Tips. "They can beat you in so many ways, that's what makes them good.

"I didn't like some of the hits they threw tonight," Nachbaur continued. "There will be a response at some point."

Yellow Horn scored for Tri-City (31-17-0-1), which hasn't been able to gain any ground on Everett despite its scorching play since the trade deadline. The Tips now lead the second-place Americans by 21 points in the U.S. Division standings.

In a battle between Team Canada's gold medal-winning goaltenders from the World Junior Hockey Championships, it was the backup who outdueled the starter. Everett's Leland Irving rebounded from a shaky performance Sunday against Chilliwack, posting 24 saves in a strong performance. Tri-City's Carey Price finished with 19 stops.

"There's a little something extra to play for with Price in between the pipes at the other end," Irving said. "The guys came through and I was able to see a lot of the shots tonight. That always makes my job easier."

Tri-City managed to control large portions of the game because of the aggressive play from its defensemen, who constantly pinched in to keep the puck in the Everett zone.

However, Everett also took advantage of that aggressiveness to create several two-on-one breaks, and three of the Tips' four goals came on the rush.

The only Everett goal that didn't come on the rush was the game winner. With the score tied 1-1, Fiala dug the puck out of a scrum, walked out front, then outwaited Price before putting the puck behind the downed goaltender 5 minutes, 44 seconds into the third period.

Tri-City had opened the scoring 4:35 into the second at the tail end of Sonne's five-minute major penalty. Yellow Horn was left alone in the slot and he wristed a shot past Irving. The Tips tied it five minutes later, Smyke batting his own rebound out of the air and into the net after a two-on-one feed from Dan Gendur.

Campos scored the insurance goal at 13:10 of the third period, banking a shot in off Price after skating behind the goal on the break. Mueller finished off the scoring at 18:14 on a textbook two-on-one feed from Zach Hamill.

Slap shots: Both Sonne and Beach could miss Friday's rematch because of suspension for their hits. ... Everett defenseman Mike Alexander was back in the lineup after missing the previous three games with a concussion. Left wing Lukas Vartovnik (hip) and defenseman Graham Potuer (wrist) remain sidelined by injuries. ... With Alexander back, call-up defenseman Matt Strong returned to his Alberta Junior Hockey League team in Lloydminster. Fellow call-up Tyler Hlookoff was set to return to Quesnel of the British Columbia Hockey League contingent on the Everett defense getting through Wednesday's game unscathed. ... Tri-City was without defensemen Matt Swaby (ribs), Jarrett Toll (jaw) and Eric Mestery (shoulder) because of injuries.

Silvertips 4, Americans 1

Tri-City 0 1 0 - 1

Everett 0 1 3 - 4

First Period-No goals. Penalties-Harty, Everett (holding), 2:40; Cornish, Tri-City (checking from behind), 4:34; Aldred, Tri-City (slashing), 11:35; Schmidt, Tri-City (tripping), 12:11; Aldred, Tri-City (checking from behind), 15:41; Sim, Tri-City (hooking), 17:18; Sonne, Everett (major-kneeing-game misconduct), 19:49.

Second Period-1, Tri-City, Yellow Horn 37 (Teslyuk, Gillies), 4:35 (pp). 2, Everett, Smyke 5 (Gendur, Crowley), 9:50. Penalties-Aldred, Tri-City (tripping), 7:15; Valach, Tri-City (interference), 11:44; Beach, Everett (diving), 11:44; Gutierrez, Everett (elbowing), 17:56.

Third Period-3, Everett, Fiala 7 (Gutierrez), 5:44. 4, Everett, Campos 6 (Dailey, Fransoo), 13:10. 5, Everett, Mueller 14 (Hamill, Harty), 18:14. Penalties-Beach, Everett (roughing), 0:55; Beach, Everett (checking from behind-checking from behind), 7:17; Gendur, Everett (charging), 16:31; Vey, Tri-City (slashing), 16:44.

Shots on goal-Tri-City 5-12-8-25. Everett 9-6-8-23. Power-play opportunities-Tri-City 1 of 7. Everett 0 of 7.

Goalies-Tri-City, Price 18-9-0-0 (23 shots, 19 saves). Everett, Irving 26-4-0-2 (25 shots, 24 saves).

A-4,720.

Tipped Off
02-01-2007, 11:11 AM
Silvertips | Everett makes all the right moves
By Jim Riley

Special to The Seattle Times

EVERETT -- With Cary Price in goal, Ondrej Fiala knew no ordinary move would do.

Fiala waited, waited and waited until Price finally committed, then scored the winning goal in the third period in what became a 4-1 Western Hockey League victory for the Everett Silvertips over the Tri-City Americans on Wednesday.

Fiala scored on a breakaway against Price, the goaltender who backstopped Team Canada to the World Junior Championships a month ago.

The win was Everett's 41st of the season, the most in franchise history. The Silvertips (41-7-0-2) improved to 23-1-0-1 at the Everett Events Center. Tri-City, which saw its seven-game win streak end, is 31-17-0-1.

"We lost to them in a shootout in their building and I just didn't finish the move," Fiala said. "I shot too early and he saved it. He's a really good goalie and if you make the first move, he will read it."

Fiala's seventh goal of the season gave Everett a 2-1 lead at 5:44 of the third period.

Brandon Campos and Peter Mueller tacked on goals for Everett.

Silvertips goalie Leland Irving won his 26th game, stopping 24 of 25 shots.

"Getting 41 wins was something that was mentioned, but we're trying to get set up for the playoffs," Irving said. "There are still things that everyone can improve on and that will be our focus."

Colton Yellow Horn scored for Tri-City at 4:35 of the second period, with 18 seconds left on a major five-minute penalty.

Yellow Horn was helped off the ice after a hit by Kyle Beach that drew a four-minute, check-from-behind penalty. Yellow Horn went to the locker room, but returned to the game minutes later.

Jesse Smyke tied it for Everett at 9:50 of the period when he knocked a rebound out of the air and past Price.

The Americans used a smothering forecheck to try to keep Everett in its own end, pinching its defensemen in over the blue line. It was a risky strategy, but one that held the Silvertips to only 15 shots through the first two periods.

"Everett is tough, they can beat you in a lot of different ways," Tri-City coach Don Nachbaur said. "I don't like some of the hits they had, and I'm sure there will be a response."

SILVERTIPS 4, AMERICANS 1

Tri-City 0 1 0 -- 1
Everett 0 1 3 -- 4
Second -- 1. Tri-City Yellow Horn 37 (Teslyuk, Gillies) 4:35 (pp). 2. Everett Smyke 5 (Gendur, Crowley) 9:50. Third -- 3. Everett Fiala 7 (Gutierrez) 5:44. 4. Everett Campos 6 (Dailey, Fransoo) 13:10. 5. Everett Mueller 14 (Hamill, Harty) 18:14. Shots on goal by -- Tri-City 5-12-8 -- 25, Everett 9-6-8 -- 23. Power plays (goals, chances) -- Tri-City 1-7, Everett 0-7. Goaltenders -- Tri-City: Price (18-9-0-0). Everett: Irving (26-4-0-2). A -- 4,720.

Tipped Off
02-01-2007, 11:13 AM
One this TC did very well in the game was forecheck the Tips, as this article alluded to. When the Tips took the puck behind their own net, which in the past would allow for a total line change, the americans sent two men in. One would stay out in front of the net to prevent the breakout, the other would go after the puck. This forced the Tips into advancing the puck and creating a few scoring opps for TC. Luckily for the Tips, Irving came to play in this one ro it may have been quite different. I'd expect to see this type of defense on the Tips more often.

TC completely outskated the Tips tonight. The Tips just found ways to put the puck in the net.

Tipped Off
02-01-2007, 12:48 PM
Tri-City Americans News

Rough and Ready; Everett Beats Tri-City 4-1
Tri-City win streak halted at 7 games; Everett's climbs to 6

January 31, 2007

Dan Mulhausen Tri-City Americans

EVERETT, WA - In the midst of their fourth season in the Western Hockey League, the Everett Silvertips have something on their roster they are not used to having, a marked man.

After two potentially serious hits on Tri-City skaters, the Everett Silvertips (41-7-0-2, 84 pts) scored four unanswered goals to beat the Tri-City Americans (31-17-0-1, 63 pts) 4-1 on Wednesday night at the Everett Event Center. With the win, Everett brought their current winning streak to six games. Meanwhile, Tri-City saw their season-high seven-game winning streak come to an end in rough fashion.

Despite a scoreless first period, the first blow to Tri-City's already depleted line-up came with just 11 seconds remaining in the period. Everett's Brennan Sonne received a five-minute major penalty and a 10-minute game-misconduct after a knee-to-knee hit on Americans' defenseman Tyler Schmidt. Schmidt, who has already missed a majority of this season with an ankle injury, was out for most of the second period. However, Schmidt did return to the ice, but not at full strength.

While battling through Schmidt's departure, Colton Yellow Horn extended his point streak to 11, with his league-leading 37th goal of the season. While on the power play, Yellow Horn fired a slap shot past Everett net minder Leland Irving, for his 14th power play marker this season. But, it proved to be the only time Tri-City could break through, as Everett continued to battle in the period.

At the halfway point of the second period, the 'Tips' Jesse Smyke followed up on his own shot, and batted in the rebound to knot the game at 1-all. For Smyke, it was his fifth goal of the season and his second against Tri-City.

The game remained tied at 1 until the 5:44 mark of the third period, when Everett's Ondrej Fiala stole the puck deep in the Americans zone and beat Tri-City goaltender Carey Price. Fiala beat two Tri-City defenders, forced Price out of position and then shelved the puck over Price's shoulder to provide the eventual game-winning goal. Then, a minute and a half later, Everett's recklessness struck again.

At the 7:17 mark, the 'Tips' Kyle Beach, who currently leads the team in penalty minutes (167), took three clear steps, then left his feet to provide a vicious blow to the Americans' leading scorer, Yellow Horn. Yellow Horn needed help off the ice and went straight to the locker room, while Beach (167 PIM) received a double-minor penalty for boarding. Although he returned late in the contest, Yellow Horn also was not at 100% and the 'Tips took full advantage.

With 6:50 remaining in the game, Price was beat far post, on a rebound shot from Everett's Brandon Campos. Price was able to stop the initial three shots, but on the fourth, the puck found a crevice and snuck across the goal line to make it a 3-1 game.

As Tri-City continued to battle, Everett provided the dagger in the heart of the Americans comeback attempt with two minutes to play. The 'Tips' Zach Hamill and Peter Mueller went in to the Americans zone on a two-on-one, and it was Mueller who found the back of the net to increase the 'Tips lead to 4-1.

Irving finished the night with first-star honors, stopping 27-of-28 shots faced. Meanwhile, Price collected 19 saves on 23 shots he saw. The Americans finished 1-for-7 on the power play, while the league-leading Silvertips were held to 0-for-7 on the man-advantage. Tri-City out shot Everett by a 25-to-23 margin.

The Americans will head back home and await the arrival of the Silvertips, who head back to the Toyota Center in Kennewick on Friday, February 2nd, in what is sure to be a heated battle between the two rivals. Game time is 7:05 PM. You can catch all the action this Friday, and all season long, live on NewsTalk 870 AM, starting with the Budweiser Warm-Up Show, which begins 15 minutes before game time. You can also listen live through the Americans website by visiting the Internet Radio Broadcast page under Fanzone or by visiting the individual game summary page.

old_time_hockey
02-01-2007, 11:24 PM
The only thing that will stop Beach's cheap shots is the same in return. One of these days he will hit the wrong person and they will lay him out. And you know what, even if it is dirty, Karma is a sucks Beach when it comes back to bite you.

The best thing you could do as Tips fans if you hate it too is to Boo the hell out of him....and make sure that he knows it's for him and not the other team. Maybe chuck a cowbell at him. Nothing says you are a punk like sound of cowbell off his face.

Tipped Off
02-02-2007, 11:02 AM
,,,,If I thought I had a good enough arm (and I didn't think it would make my 3 year old cry) I'd have taken his cowbell and chucked it at Beach on Wednesday. I was booing loud for Beach until I realized the rest of the fans were booing Yellow Horn as he lay on the Ice. I didn't want my boo to be mis interpretted. I was telling anyone who would listen that it was a very Dirty hit.

ihlemic10
02-02-2007, 11:17 AM
Yeah its gonna be a long night for me. Nothing like going to TC in a Beach jersey...