View Full Version : Garrett Robinson Newspaper Article

Redwic
01-30-2007, 11:12 AM
Published: Tuesday, January 30, 2007
EVERETT HERALD
Recovery of Warriors' Robinson going well

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

Garrett Robinson made an appearance at the Everett Events Center on Sunday night.

In most instances that wouldn't warrant mention. Why wouldn't a junior hockey player show up at a junior hockey game?

But considering all Robinson has been through the past few months, it was an accomplishment just being alive, let alone being able to attend a game between the Everett Silvertips and Chilliwack Bruins.

Robinson received a warm welcome from the Everett fans as he took a brief break from his rehabilitation from severe head injuries suffered in a car accident earlier this season.

"When I saw him stand up (after being acknowledged over the public address system) I almost had tears in my eyes," said Everett Silvertips defenseman Jesse Zetariuk, Robinson's former teammate in Moose Jaw who was responsible for bringing Robinson to Everett. "I remember him the way he was, and now he's back to that. I'm happy he could come down."

Robinson, an 18-year-old left wing, was one of three Moose Jaw players injured in the accident, which occurred Oct. 22 as the players were driving home after returning from a road trip. Carter Smith and Joey Perricone escaped with minor injuries, but Robinson suffered massive head injuries that left him in a coma for more than a week.

"It's tough getting a call at 8 a.m. after coming home from a road trip and hearing, 'Three of your teammates were in a car accident and we don't really know how bad it was,' " Zetariuk recalled. "Once we got the news (about Robinson) it was a tough couple months."

Robinson, who hails from the Vancouver, B.C., suburb of Surrey, returned home for recovery, which has gone better than anyone expected, given the severity of his injuries. He's able to get himself around, and Zetariuk said he's heard Robinson was swinging his golf clubs again.

Zetariuk recently called Robinson to invite him to Sunday's game. Robinson attended with his girlfriend and one of Zetariuk's friends.

"It's unbelievable," Zetariuk said about Robinson's recovery. "At one point they thought maybe he wasn't going to live. So to see him like this, it makes you believe in something."

Slap shots: The Medicine Hat Tigers, who are trying to build a new arena, ran into a snag when it was determined the cost would be substantially more than anticipated, the Medicine Hat News reported. Initial studies projected a cost of between $37 and $55 million (Canadian) for a new 7,136-seat arena. However, when the plans were presented last week the price tag jumped to between $85 and $98 million. The Tigers, who currently sell out every game at their antiquated 4,006-seat arena, have expressed wariness at supporting the more-expensive project. ... Former Vancouver goaltender Dustin Slade, who walked out on the Giants in November, has found a home. Slade, who's been in limbo since leaving the Giants, is now playing for the Halifax (Nova Scotia) Wolverines of the Maritime Junior A Hockey League. ... For the first time this season Vancouver is looking up in the B.C. Division standings. Kamloops passed Vancouver for first with its 2-1 shootout victory over the Giants on Friday. ... The Prince George Citizen reported that Wenatchee could be in line for a Junior A team as the British Columbia Hockey League considers expansion for the 2008-09 season.

League leaders: Points - Zach Hamill (Everett) 68; goals - Colton Yellow Horn (Tri-City) 36; assists - Hamill, Peter Mueller (Everett) 47; penalty minutes - Mike Gauthier (Prince Albert) 196; wins - Matt Keetley (Medicine Hat) 30; goals against average - Leland Irving (Everett) 1.73; save percentage - Irving .934.