PDA

View Full Version : Crushed Can update...

nivek_wahs
01-31-2007, 12:30 AM
Edit: Title should be... New Crushed Can update

http://www.mjtimes.sk.ca/index.cfm?sid=7383&sc=3

Council to meet WHL standards but how it will is still unclear

ALISON SEBASTIAN
The Moose Jaw Times Herald

The City of Moose Jaw has committed to meet Western Hockey League arena standards for the Moose Jaw Warriors by the 2009-10 season.

However, it was not made clear whether that means the city will build a new arena or renovate the Civic Centre.

The motion to confirm this commitment by letter was carried at Monday’s city council meeting in a five to one vote.

Coun. Darin Chow, who is the president/governor of the Moose Jaw Warriors was not at Monday’s meeting.

The WHL had given the city a deadline of Jan. 31 to indicate if it planned to meet the league’s arena standards. The league wanted to know before it began drawing up the schedule for the 2007-08 season.

The Civic Centre comes up short of many of the league’s standards, in the areas of dressing rooms, space for the media, among others.

Coun. Brian Swanson was the sole person to vote against the motion, although earlier in the discussion he was not alone in expressing concerns.

Coun. Dawn Luhning proposed two amendments to the motion, one calling for action on the part of the WHL and the other dealing with the 2009-10 deadline.

“If we are going to make a commitment to the WHL they should make a commitment to us,” said Luhning.

She made the comments after clarifying how the city’s major projects fund of $900,000 would be out of use for 25 years because the funds would be monopolized by the proposed multiplex.

Luhning said if the city ties up a source of funding for 25 years, which the multiplex would, the WHL should give the city some assurance the team would be kept in the city for the same amount of time.

The other five members of council voted against the amendment.

The second amendment Luhning tried to move was that the 2009-010 deadline be omitted from the motion.

She wanted to know if having the dates in the motion were binding for the city and what would happen if the city did not have a facility by then.

City clerk Steven Schiefner said the WHL was looking for a commitment for some type of facility to be built by then but it does not mean the dates are binding.

ProStaff
01-31-2007, 10:42 AM
The question I have is, can MJ support a new building, there is talk that if they don't build they will lose the team, so why arn't the fans out showing support and filling the crush can? only getting 2000, people out to games isn't going to fill a 5000 seat multiplex. Don't get me wrong, I grew up in MJ and has since moved to Saskatoon, and now a Blades fan, but I would love to see a new multiplex built in MJ, but I question the fan support! and fan support that buy's tickets not the ones that just show up for the play-off's

Zookeeper
02-01-2007, 12:57 AM
I never been at the Crushed Can, but I have seen highlights on TV, this rink doesn't look like a great place to watch a game. Maybe more fans will show up if the rink was more fan friendly. You have to look at everything, the view from the stands, consessions, parking, washrooms, sounds system, etc.

Just my thougts.

Toswammi
02-01-2007, 08:48 AM
I am in the minority but as a fan i like the CC. You have good view of the ice, and with the roof 10 feet above you it gets loud quick.

The one question i have about that article is how can the league guaruntee that MJ will be around for 25 years? They dont own the team, but will allow them in the leauge if they have up to date facilities.

Warrior Fan
02-02-2007, 10:32 AM
I never been at the Crushed Can, but I have seen highlights on TV, this rink doesn't look like a great place to watch a game. Maybe more fans will show up if the rink was more fan friendly. You have to look at everything, the view from the stands, consessions, parking, washrooms, sounds system, etc.

Just my thougts.

the nose bleed seats arfe still right on top of the action. You can't say that for any rink in the league. Also, it is the loudest rink in the league bar none. We don't pump the sound when the team comes out and we don't pump sound out when the team scores a goal. Sound system sucks so the loudness is all cheers.

Facts are this Moose jaw is a retirement commmunity and that just isn't a good place for seniors to go and enjoy a game for an evening out. It is hard to sit because there i sno room. it is unsafe on the stairs. Bathrooms are unaccessable and dont' really have enough of them as well.
Just too many things to keep fans away