PDA

View Full Version : Rebels-Hitmen: Completely random thoughts

Rebel66
02-26-2005, 01:48 PM
The Hitmen fully deserved their convincing 5-2 victory over a poor Rebels team last night. Although the Rebels jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first period the Hitmen pretty much dominated the latter two periods to earn an important win.

There were few brights spots on the night for the Rebels. Dion Phaneuf had a good game, certainly better than some of late, scoring once, assisting on the other goal, laying out an absolutely devestating hit, and winning a fight. He put on quite the show for the Saddledome crowd and considering a fair number were probably Flames fans that was a good thing. He draw cheers when announced on the goals and significant cheers from the Hitmen fans when announced as the third star.

I thought Teddy and Pieper put in a solid effort but vets such as Rome, Morris etc. were poor again.

Quite frankly, the Rebels looked really poor, a continuation of their US road trip woes according to a number of trippers in attendance. That is really worrying at this time of year. There were simply too many passengers, not enough players willing to get dirty by going into high traffic areas, and just all round apathetic play. Sutter must be getting beside himself with what he is seeing out on the ice.

Leslie is a promising goalie but he's got to learn to control his rebounds better. There were some doozies out there. He also seemed unsure of where the puck was on numerous occasions.

There were a number of players on the Hitmen that stood out to me:

Ryan White: Everytime I see this kid play I'm really impressed. Last night he stood up to Dion Phaneuf after Dion's huge hit on Dansereau and did reasonably well, although ending the bout with a bloodied nose. Other than that he played a solid hockey game.

Ladd was first star recording three points but I'm not as sold on him as others. He seems to lack a certain insensity at times. He did have a better game last night to be sure.

Pushkarev made one major league move on Kuukaa slipping the puck between his own legs and creating a reasonable scoring chance for himself. That would have been a highlight reel goal had he managed to finish it off. He still finished with two assists and was a constant threat. Skilful player.

Brodie Dupont seems to relish playing against the Rebels. He plays an abrasive style but also chips in with some points. He adds significant jump to the team. The type of player you love on your team while the opposition team and fans hates your guts!

There were other good performers too: Merkley, Kohn, Getzlaf, Pogge was solid. Overall, just a good allround team performance by Calgary in a big game. They showed up for this one while the Rebels went MIA after the first period. They could not handle the Hitmen at all after that. All credit to the Hitmen for their win last night.

Great crowd at the Dome setting a CHL record I believe with over 16,300 at the game. Impressive tribute to Brad Moran before the game too. He was a great player for the Hitmen and a real class act too. He was one of the few Hitmen players I actually liked. If you were to mention Brendl on the other hand........

Early start for the Rebels on Saturday for sure. Quite likely Sutter had them there in the early hours of the morning. I wonder when we'll get to see the kids as threatened. You have to think that once they've finished their respective playoffs with their teams we may see some new faces inserted and some vets not performing sitting on their butts in the press boxes.

This certainly is not a good run up to the playoffs for the Rebels. At this time of the year you need to get on a roll. The opposite is happening for this team.

Still, as a true supporter of the team, I'll get behind them, support them through thick and thin, give them vocal positive support at the game and continue to......

KEEP THE FAITH!