PDA

View Full Version : Franson? McCardle?

Priceisright
01-31-2007, 11:12 PM
Just wondering opinions on these two players this year?

I think Franson has played very well but I found he was pretty dominate in the first half of the season and during the second half has been good but not that dominating force he was in first half.

McCardle IMO has been a disappointment. Don't the Giants expect more offense from him? Wasn't he a pretty high draft pick? First round?

Opinions please.

dondo
02-01-2007, 02:09 AM
Franson has sucked since coming back from the World Juniors, he looks kind of lost out there -- very unFranson-like and it worries me a bit.

McArdle was indeed a first round pick (20th or there-abouts), and yes I expected him to be a game-breaker like Brule, but he's been nowhere near as dangerous or dominant as I expected him to be. After watching him last years finals, I expected a lot more from him. he could also be one of those guys who needs a bit more time to gel with his new team-mates -- with the WJC, not playing a lot over there, he probably not as in shape as he could be. There's no doubt he has skills, but yes I expect a bit more.

As much as I like Cunningham I think playing him with rabbit and McArdle is a waste -- I'd like to see that line juggled a bit. the only line to be a minus on the team tonight. McArdle got an assist on the PP but that does not affect +/-.

byrdman25
02-01-2007, 02:40 PM
Franson looks to have taken steps backwards in some areas like his offense, while stepped up in other areas, such as he tries hitting people now. He generally seems indifferent out there, like his nose is out of joint since Thelen came in, who looks to be the real deal.

Mcardle just seems lost, maybe some time with consistent line mates would help. Unfortunately Hay looks at the lines as his own personal juggling act that he gets from his Tarot card reader or something. Mcardle will come around, he is a player and players always eventually rise to the occasion.

They will both come back, and better for it too. Maybe they're takin a little midseason break on the ice to refresh the engines.

patsdude114
02-01-2007, 06:37 PM
McArdle what can you say about him.....having watched him play since he was 16 against the Pats, there are times he really shines on the ice and other times you could swear hes just another avg player on the ice.

McArdle is and always will be a streaky player, he is very inconsistant at best, he plays when HE himself wants to play, once he decides that he is by far 1 of the best players on the ice, not only on his team but the opposition as well.

I was also very surprised when McArdle was dealt to Vancouver on why a top team in the country would want a VERY streaky player

Just my comments on McArlde

rinkrat
02-01-2007, 07:55 PM
he plays when HE himself wants to play, once he decides that he is by far 1 of the best players on the ice, not only on his team but the opposition as well.

Effort hasn't been a problem.He skates like the wind.Set up a real nice goal last night and did all the work in the corner.These guys are going to need time.It will come together,Don had some real good things to say about him and Rabbit post game last night.

old_time_hockey
02-01-2007, 10:52 PM
Him skating like the wind is the problem I think.

His legs move faster than his brain does (no dis meant). I think if he wasn't going mach 1 out there he might make more plays. His speed is great for getting to the corner first and for breakaway speed. But in traffic he always seems to have a puck hop on him or make 1 too many moves and then skate on without it. If he slowed a bit, he would still be faster than most out there.

Beaner
02-01-2007, 11:30 PM
I've liked what McArdle has brought except for the lack of actual goals. Corner work and checking has been great, the goals will come.

Franson has really taken a step back since the WJC. I am starting to think the month of only playing 2 minutes a game really hurt him during that time. Hopefully he gets his mojo back soon.

dondo
02-02-2007, 01:09 PM
McArdle what can you say about him.....having watched him play since he was 16 against the Pats, there are times he really shines on the ice and other times you could swear hes just another avg player on the ice.

McArdle is and always will be a streaky player, he is very inconsistent at best, he plays when HE himself wants to play, once he decides that he is by far 1 of the best players on the ice, not only on his team but the opposition as well.

I was also very surprised when McArdle was dealt to Vancouver on why a top team in the country would want a VERY streaky player

Just my comments on McArdle

He might be one of those players that needs something to play for. Watching him in last year's playoffs I was impressed, so maybe we are looking for him to be more of a big game player not a saviour. And I agree with Beaner -- his over-all game is very good.

I'd like to see him crash the net a bit more and take the shot instead of the cute pass that he at times seems fond of, but other than that I am disappointed in only that I expected a game-breaker and we just got a skill player who vanishes from time to time. Whether or not he'll vanish as much as Reese did last season (yes I had to get my dig in :thumb: ) is a very debatable point.

sircountalot
02-02-2007, 02:15 PM
I honestly think Franson has been playing hurt. Ever since the world juniors he's been tentative. Looks like he's got a leg injury...looked like he reinjured it a couple of games back in Kamloops. He's not a sharp as the beginning of the year that's for sure.

sheera
02-06-2007, 09:36 PM
Priceisright I was at the game in kelowna that the giants lost 2-0. As a team the giants outplayed a desperate young kelowna team. If you could take hunt's heart and place it in McCardel you would have an unstoppable N.H.L hockey player. wow that hunt kid can play. Franson played a good but not exceptional game and tried hard every shift, he will be fine given time. I don,t remember when i have seen a player complain to the referee's with every whistle stoppage like Mr. McCardel, did this intimidation work in the east conference? Breaking his stick by slshing the boards and then throwing his stick while swearing profanities at anyone that would listen showed a huge lack off class. The ref threw him out of the game while coach Hay stared Mr. McCardel down.Trouble for sure for a world medal winning athlete.Sad maybe to much pressure on a young man. Keep faith he may come around with time.
''chow bella, good night''