PDA

View Full Version : WHL Draftable Age? BCJHL

Swando
02-01-2007, 02:48 AM
I was reading the TSN review of the Rangers/Leafs game and there was a note that Ryan Hollweg was a healthy scratch having not scored a point in 50 games this year. I remembered an American kid named Hollweg that played in the BCJHL for Langley Hornets so I did an Internet search and came up with the following.

He left Downey at 14 to play junior hockey in British Columbia, and was impressive in scoring 54 points in 58 games in 1998-99 for the Langley Hornets (BCHL). In 1999, he was drafted #1 by the Medicine Hat Tigers.

This got me thinking.. is the AJHL, BCJHL and SJHL allowed to play 14 yrs olds? Sorry I do not follow the BCJHL that close to know the rules. I thot most WHL players were drafted from a bantam/midget league, and there was an age restriction on the BCJHL type league similar to the 5 game limit for 15 yr olds in the WHL . I'm thinking that Hollweg being an good American player must have found the BCJHL a level he was comfortable playing at for his talent.

50 games - no points - 23 yrs old??? What do the Rangers see in this guy to keep him there?

Rattlesnake
02-01-2007, 11:02 AM
This got me thinking.. is the AJHL, BCJHL and SJHL allowed to play 14 yrs olds?

NO.

They used to just like the WHL used to. Junior A teams can't have 15 year olds any more either (except as affiliates, 5 game max). Exceptional 15 year olds can apply to play in the CHL but not Junior A. Junior A teams are allowed a maximum 2 - 16 year olds; CHL teams are allowed 4.

N.W. Bruin
02-01-2007, 11:17 PM
He could be playing up in the BC Junior as a fourteen year old for two or three months as their season starts early September but he would qualify as a fifteen year old assuming his birthday falls on December 31st or earlier.

Dwight Schrute
02-03-2007, 03:40 AM
wasnt americans drafted after their 15 year old season ? tigers selected bowmeaster and holweg #1 in consectutive years. yet they had the same year of birth.
aj thelen(1986) was drafted in 02 86 born players were drafted in 01
same with dubinsky and others