PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Debate Again?

scamperdog
02-01-2007, 09:46 PM
The great playoff debate begins again
by Gregg Drinnan
www.kamloopsnews.ca
When the 2005-06 WHL season ended, Dean Clark says he was “the only one raising a fuss.”

The general manager and head coach of the WHL’s Kamloops Blazers now has some company.

Clark was upset last spring because his team missed the playoffs despite having a better record than two conference opponents who qualified for postseason play.

“I was raising a fuss, not because it happened to us,” Clark said. “All I said was, ‘I hope it doesn’t happen to anyone else.’ ”

Well, guess what? Yes, it looks as though it is going to happen again. And, suddenly, there is more pressure being applied to the league to change its playoff format.

Last season, the Blazers didn’t qualify despite finishing with a record (34-33-2-3) that was better than the Portland Winter Hawks (32-32-3-5) and Tri-City Americans (30-35-4-3).

This is allowed to happen because teams play within their divisions in the first round of the playoffs. They move into conference play in the second round.

The Blazers, out of the playoffs for the first time in franchise history, made their concerns known but nothing was done.

Following the 2005-06 season, the expansion Chilliwack Bruins were welcomed into the B.C. Division. The Kootenay Ice moved from the B.C. Division to the Central Division. The Swift Current Broncos shifted from the Central Division to the East Division.

When all was said and done, the East Division was left with six teams. So the WHL incorporated a wild-card system that allows the fifth-place team in the East to be slotted into the Central for the first round of playoffs should it finish with more points than the third- or fourth-place team.

On top of that, the league decided that should the East’s fifth-place team and the Central’s fourth-place club finish tied in points, they will play a sudden-death tiebreaker game to see which will qualify for playoffs.

However, a glance at the standings reveals that neither of these scenarios is likely to unfold, what with the East’s fifth-place team having considerably fewer points than any of the Central Division teams.

What this means, then, is that one Central Division team is going to miss the playoffs and it will almost certainly have more points than the fourth-place East Division team.

So why not allow the fifth-place Central Division team to cross over in that situation? When this week began, that fifth-place team (the Lethbridge Hurricanes) had more points than the second-place team in the East.

This also means that the mood at the WHL board of governors’ table may be changing. There may be more teams leaning towards slotting teams by conference right from the start.

“It has to go 1-to-8,” Clark said. “I don’t think (the present system) is fair. It happened to us and I wouldn’t want it to happen to anyone else.”

Brent Sutter, the owner, GM and head coach of the Red Deer Rebels, now sides with Clark.

“Personally, I think it’s the fairest thing to do,” Sutter told the Red Deer Advocate. “The top team in each division within our conference should be seeded one-two for the playoffs, with the other six teams falling in line based on points.

“I don’t buy the fact that your attendance is any better in the first round by playing a divisional opponent rather than someone outside of the division. You get into a Game 6 or 7 with any team in any series and your attendance is always going to increase.”

Last season, the B.C. Division included three of the WHL’s best teams — the Vancouver Giants, Kelowna Rockets and Kootenay Ice. With the first round featuring divisional matchups, it was guaranteed that one of those teams wouldn’t advance — the Rockets took out the Ice in six games. That wouldn’t happen if teams played in the conferences.

“Why should teams make the playoffs when their win-loss records don’t show that they’re deserving?” Sutter said. “At the end of the day, it should be about your performance on the ice.”

• • •

Rebel66
02-02-2007, 02:28 AM
I've never liked the newer system. Putting aside the fact that my team is one that could potentially miss the playoffs while having more points than most teams in the East, it is simply not a fair method of deciding playoff teams. The old 1-8 seedings, with the top teams in each division being seeded 1-2, is the much better system.

Beaner
02-02-2007, 11:01 AM
I agree they should move to the 1-8 conference rankings.

However I think this is all about saving $ on travel for the first round. The potential for brutally long bus trips increases with a first round conference seeding. Brandon-Red Deer, or PG - Portland first round series would be awful on the bus.

The league if they went to a conference ranking for the playoffs would have to look at their rules regarding travel for the playoffs, and probably have to make some adjustments to that as well.

I still think the 1-8 ranking system would be best though. Kamloops should have made the playoffs last year, especially with the record that they had.

Rebel66
02-02-2007, 11:29 AM
However I think this is all about saving $ on travel for the first round. The potential for brutally long bus trips increases with a first round conference seeding. Brandon-Red Deer, or PG - Portland first round series would be awful on the bus.

I know that this was a factor in their decision to change. However, this is MAJOR junior. There is more money involved with this league now so I'm not sure that this is the best consideration in the circumstances. They could always go with the 2-3-2 format in any case.

In my opinion this is something that must be changed back if they want to retain the integrity of the league. The prospect of having a team make the playoffs with a record close to .400 is pretty much a joke.

Last season the Blazers had a better record than two of the teams making the playoffs from the West. It's just not right.

wango tango
02-02-2007, 01:32 PM
the math to make the playoffs is pretty basic. 1st record vs your division, 2nd a winning record at home, 3rd around .500 on the road. if a team doesn't make the playoffs they simply weren't good enough. you can say 'but under the old 1 through 8 system' as much as you want, the teams aren't playing in the old system.

and $$$ have A LOT to do with the current playoff system. not the least of which are travel, accomodation, and gate. as to this being the top level of junior hockey and more money involved now than ever before... yes this is true, however it is also true many of the owners (i'd wager a majority) are pretty spend thrift types.

you will not see the playoff format change until enough governors get the cajones to bring the format up in the meetings, are willing to return to a balanced schedule, and can get enough votes on side.

Toswammi
02-02-2007, 04:25 PM
It should be the top four in each division period. No cross overs or anything like that. This is juniour hockey of course some divs will be tougher than others, but eventually it will equal out.
They screwed this up a long time ago when they let Chilliwak in, that is one of the bigest mistakes this league has ever done.

Coyote14
02-02-2007, 05:31 PM
I thought letting Chilliwack in was a good idea...

transplantedbronco
02-03-2007, 02:42 PM
As long as teams are playing the most games against their division you have to have this format. And this format will be in place for awhile due to dollars and cents. Think about it. If a team like PG or Kamloops have to travel to Tri Cities in the first round or Brandon to Kootenay. Owner cant afford that period. Yeah some teams may miss the playoffs with more points than ones who did but thats life. It just means that you games against your division are that more important. Its all about travel expenses.

Triton
02-03-2007, 02:44 PM
I thought letting Chilliwack in was a good idea...

Chilliwack was but that the commish got greedy and let the city of Edmonton have ANOTHER franchise,which is one of the biggest mistakes the league has made.

Five Hole
02-03-2007, 03:26 PM
What's the divisional line up next year? Obviously Edmonton will be in the central, but does Kootenay go to the B.C. Division? And that'll make one six team and one five team division in each conference?

Beaner
02-03-2007, 03:43 PM
What's the divisional line up next year? Obviously Edmonton will be in the central, but does Kootenay go to the B.C. Division? And that'll make one six team and one five team division in each conference?

Kootenay stays in the Central.

Thus leaving 12 teams in the east conference and 10 in the west.

It's only a matter of time before we see 2 more expansion teams I think.

transplantedbronco
02-03-2007, 05:15 PM
Kootenay stays in the Central.

Thus leaving 12 teams in the east conference and 10 in the west.

It's only a matter of time before we see 2 more expansion teams I think.
Its rumored that the league really wants team on the Vancouver Island again possible Nanaimo. I will never belive a WHL team can work on the Island due to ferry costs. When you have to pay around a $200 round trip every time you have an away game it eats into your travel budget. Victoria has tried the WHL many times and it has never worked. ECHL is working I just dont see the WHL working out.

Triton
02-03-2007, 06:35 PM
I think there is too many teams.I think the league should look at removing a team or something.

Coyote14
02-03-2007, 06:38 PM
The more teams they add, the more the player pool is drained of its talent. Twenty-four should be the limit as it is near impossible that the league would remove any teams. They prefer relocation over the folding of a franchise.

d-man
02-03-2007, 07:05 PM
The player talent pool is getting drained. One thing the league needs to work on is the policy that makes kids decide between WHL hockey or the US college route.

One thing the teams will do is recruit players from the US to expand that talent pool. That US draft after the camp in Anaheim last year showed a growing pool of players in the southwest US.

RunTheGoalie
02-04-2007, 07:47 PM
I will say this: The fifth place team in the Central is a better team than the first place team in the East.

The 12-10 alignment for next year is a joke too. All that needs to be done to make the playoffs more equitable is for a 6-5 alignment in each conference (sorry Kootenay), and have the fifth place team in any division take the place of the fourth place team in the other if they have a better record.

As far as removing teams, the only way I can see it being possible is if the entire US division defects to form an all-American Major-Junior league. And that just isn't likely.

RunTheGoalie
02-04-2007, 07:50 PM
Its rumored that the league really wants team on the Vancouver Island again possible Nanaimo. I will never belive a WHL team can work on the Island due to ferry costs. When you have to pay around a $200 round trip every time you have an away game it eats into your travel budget. Victoria has tried the WHL many times and it has never worked. ECHL is working I just dont see the WHL working out.

The funny thing is that Victoria wanted a WHL team, and only went to the EHCL when the WHL said "no thanks". If the Tri-city/Chilliwack debacle had happened two years sooner, the WHL would be at at least 23 teams for this season - including Victoria and Edmonton, and neither the Salmon Kings nor the Edmonton Road Runners would have existed.

grainbear
02-04-2007, 11:01 PM
The analysis about dollars is probably correct. However , you now see not only Kamloops who got screwed last year as well as Red Deer and I am sure the Canes are on the same page. It is only the marginal budget teams that must be putting dollars a head of results. Lets be honest and I am not picking on Moose Jaw but even if they went out in the first round of playoffs with 2000 seating and maybe will say 500 standing if they sold out it means 2500 seats at $18.00 each and 2 game assured $90000.00 gross revenue. To a bigger market team like Lethbridge 5500 including standing room $198000.00 or Red Deer at 7500 = $270000.00 Never mind looking at Vancouver or Calgary or any of the larger US market rinks. It all comes down to the eternal buck. It is not going to change untill more teams get screwed by the present system. Why do you think the Sportsplex in Lethbridge is now going to put seats in the southend and a lounge . Major junior hockey is big business which entertains us all and develops the future stares

loudi94
02-05-2007, 12:10 AM
To add insult to injury, the team from the Central that misses the playoffs, but still has more points than the East teams will also have a lower draft pick after the season... :confused:

neutral
02-05-2007, 08:35 AM
I will say this: The fifth place team in the Central is a better team than the first place team in the East.

As a fan of the central division, and one who has seen all but 2 teams in the Eastern conference this season, I would say the fifth place team in the central is a better team than all but the first place team in the East. Brandon is a good team. They have size, speed, and scoring. Their record continues to improve. So the Central teams should be concerned come play-off time.

A better question is, who will be the fifth place team in the east. Likely Lethbridge, but that is still undecided.