PDA

View Full Version : Game 51 @ Americans

Tipped Off
02-02-2007, 10:54 AM
I figured a little tune to kick off the conversation was called for so I stole this from "Glove Dropper" on the grey board.

Sung to the tune of "The Zamboni Song"

"The Boogey Man Song"

Well, I went down t’ Toyota Center
To watch the Ams play the Silvertips
Last game the Tips threw some dirty, cheap shots
Tonight’s the night for retribution!

I wanna see Boogey kick his ass!
I wanna see Boogey kick Beach’s ass…….Yes I do!

Now ever since Sonne laid the knee to Schmidt
The Ams have been played with a lot more grit
As Boogey gets ready and tapes his stick
He says, I ain’t takin’ none o’ Beach’s ****!”

I wanna see Boogey kick Beach’s ass………Yes I do!

Well, the two o’ them lined up at the face-off.
Beach starts chirpin, runnin’ his mouth.
He says to Boogey, “Wanna give it a try?”
Boogy says, “You’re a real funny guy!” and then both mitts fly!

Both players ended up with 5 minute majors
Boogaard smiled as he went to the box
Beach was helped up and led off the ice
He was bleedin’ from the nose and had a BIG BLACK EYE………YES HE DID!

Tipped Off
02-02-2007, 11:09 AM
According to this story in the TC Herald, Sonne is suspended at least for tonight.

Another day, another Ams defenseman hurt
This story was published Friday, February 2nd, 2007

By Annie Fowler, Herald staff writer

The Tri-City Americans' blue line is turning black and blue.

After rookie defenseman Tyler Schmidt took a knee-to-knee hit from Everett's Brennan Sonne on Wednesday night, the Americans' defensive corps now has almost as many players on the injured list as it does who are healthy.

Richard Doerksen, the Western Hockey League's disciplinarian, said Sonne "has been dealt with," and confirmed that Sonne would not play tonight.

T.J. Fast, who is one of five healthy Ams D-men, said any time you step on the ice you take a chance of getting injured, but that the string of injuries to the blue line has been extreme.

"Wrong place, wrong time," Fast said. "It's unbelievable it has all been on the blue line. We are capable on the back end to play a few more minutes if we have to."

Schmidt's status will be a game-time decision. But if only five defensemen are available, that could turn into upwards of 35 to 40 minutes a game for some.

"I don't think I've played that much since midgets," Fast said. "We all have to prepare ourselves for a lot of minutes and be ready when called upon."

Also on the injured list are veterans Matt Swaby (ribs) and Jarrett Toll (jaw) and rookie Eric Mestery (shoulder).

Tri-Cities (31-17-0-2, 63 points), which saw its seven-game win streak come to an end with a 4-1 loss to Everett on Wednesday, will play host to the U.S. Division-leading Silvertips (41-7-0-2, 84 points) tonight and will play at Spokane on Saturday.

Everett is just one of three teams, along with Kamloops and Vancouver, that have clinched playoff spots.

"I thought we played a hell of a game (Wednesday) and it came down to chances in the third period and we didn't get it done," said Tri-City coach Don Nachbaur. "We need to stay focused. Every division game is huge, regardless if it's with Portland, Spokane or Everett. You want to make hay in this league, you have to win those games.

"We have 23 games left and they are no picnic. We play some top teams in the league and we have a long road trip (to the Eastern Division)."

The Americans are second in the U.S. Division standings, just four points ahead of third-place Spokane and six in front of Seattle. Picking up four points this weekend would give Tri-Cities a bit of a cushion, but it won't be an easy task -- especially against Everett, who leads the eight-game series 3-1.

"They are such a structured team," said Americans team captain Alex Aldred. "They stick together the whole game and they wait for you to get distracted. That happened to us last night and it played into their hand.

"We are a very good team. We are a confident group and we've had success lately. We just need to stick together and stay focused. With the injuries we have, the forwards are going to have to help out the defense."

Notes

Colton Yellow Horn leads the Americans with 37 goals and 63 points, while Taylor Procyshen has 21 goals and Erik Felde 16. . . . Yellow Horn is fourth in league scoring, six points behind leader Zach Hamill of Everett, and is third in the league with seven game-winning goals. . . . Procyshen is fourth on the plus-minus list at plus-22. . . . The Brandon Wheat Kings faxed off a good luck card to Miami, signed by more than 200 fans, for Brandon, Manitoba, native Israel Idonije, whose Chicago Bears face the Indianapolis Colts in Sunday's Super Bowl. Idonije, a 6-foot-6, 275-pound defensive tackle, is in his third season with the Bears.

Tipped Off
02-02-2007, 11:29 AM
Slap shots: Everett left wing Kyle Beach picked up eight penalty minutes in Wednesday's game, giving him 167 for the season. That breaks Mitch Love's team record of 163 set in 2003-04. ... Wednesday's victory also was Everett's 41st of the season, breaking the previous team record of 40 set last season. ... Defenseman Tyler Hlookoff, who was called up to help cover for Everett's injuries on defense, has returned to Quesnel of the British Columbia Hockey League. ... Left wing Lukas Vartovnik, who missed Everett's past five games with a hip injury, has been cleared to play.

Stay-Puft
02-02-2007, 12:33 PM
02/02/07 Brennan Sonne Everett Two games for Knee Major and G.M. vs Tri-City on January 31.

Tipped Off
02-03-2007, 07:35 PM
Multiple suspensions came out of this game:

02/03/07 Chris Inglis Tri-City Suspension TBD for actions vs Everett on February 2.
02/03/07 Travis Gorman Tri-City Suspension TBD for actions vs Everett on February 2.
02/03/07 Don Nachbaur Tri-City Suspension TBD for actions of players vs Everett on February 2.

Tipped Off
02-03-2007, 07:35 PM
Ams win heated battle
This story was published Saturday, February 3rd, 2007

By Annie Fowler, Herald staff writer

In a game where tempers were flaring from the drop of the puck, Carey Price was cool, calm and collected.

The Tri-City Americans goalie had 28 saves for his second shutout of the season en route to a 2-0 victory over the Everett Silvertips in Western Hockey League action in front of 4,333 fans Friday night at Toyota Center.

"Both goalies were outstanding," said Tri-City coach Don Nachbaur. "It was a playoff-type game. It was tough to find space out there. Man for man, we played well. That was a pretty potent lineup we shutout."

It was the third time this season the U.S. Division-leading Silvertips (41-8-0-2, 84 points) have been shut out. The Americans (32-17-0-1, 65 points), second in the division standings, have a five-point lead over third-place Spokane, going into tonight's game at Spokane Arena.

"I think the top four teams in our division are the top four teams of any division," said Everett coach Kevin Constantine. "It's so competitive."

With the game decided late in the third period, the gloves finally came off.

It started with Kyle Beach taking a shot at Colton Yellow Horn with six seconds left in the game. That skirmish earned both players double minors for roughing, as well as 10-minute misconducts for two other players.

On the ensuing face-off, there were three fights, with all six players receiving game misconducts.

"When you target our best player and sucker punch him, the league needs to answer the bell," Nachbaur said of Beach. "There's no need for that in this game."

Silvertips goalie Leland Irving, who allowed the Americans just one goal in a 4-1 victory Wednesday night in Everett, was beaten by Roman Teslyuk on a rebound off a shot by Yellow Horn as the Americans took a 1-0 lead at 15:14 of the first period.

Everett, which has the best power play in the league at 21.6 percent, was shut down in the first, failing on all three man advantages. The Silvertips were 0-for-6 for the game.

"I thought we played pretty well," said Price, who improved to 19-9. "Our penalty kill was the key to the game."

After a scoreless second period, both goalies made impressive saves to start the third, but the Americans got the puck past Irving one more time.

Chris Inglis was on Everett's Jesse Zetariuk around the back of the net and up the right wall. Inglis knocked the puck away from Zetariuk and got it to Alex Aldred.

Aldred hit Taylor Procyshen coming down the slot, and Procyshen beat Irving for his 22nd goal of the season and a 2-0 lead at 13:17.

Seven minutes earlier, Beach had a golden opportunity to tie the game, picking up a loose puck and going in all alone against Price.

Price read the rookie forward the entire way and made a highlight reel skate save at the left post to keep the Silvertips off the scoreboard.

"We needed to get one and we couldn't have asked for a better opportunity than that," Constantine said. "But Carey was up to the task. I think both goalies enjoy competing against each other. They have had good battles in all our games."

Though the rivalry with Everett is not up to par with that of the Americans and Chiefs, it's getting close.

"There a little bad blood between us that goes back to the (Clayton) Stoner days," Price said. "Tonight was nothing if you compare it to back then."

The two teams will battle three more times this season, with the next game in Everett on Wednesday.

The Silvertips lead the eight-game series 3-2.

Tipped Off
02-03-2007, 07:36 PM
Tips fall, then brawl
End-of-game melee punctuates 2-0 loss at Tri-City

Herald staff

KENNEWICK - The Tri-City Americans vowed revenge following Wednesday's loss to the Everett Silvertips.

They got it on the scoreboard, then tried to exact even more in flesh.

Tri-City defeated Everett 2-0 Friday night, then instigated a line brawl in the game's dying seconds.

The Americans were not happy after Wednesday's game in Everett, won by the Silvertips 4-1, taking exception to two hits from Everett players.

Tri-City got back at Everett on the scoreboard first, goals by Roman Teslyuk and Taylor Procyshen and stellar goaltending from Carey Price carried the Americans to victory.

Then came the extracurricular activity.

First, with six seconds remaining, two of the key parties from Wednesday's fracas - Everett's Kyle Beach, who received a double minor for checking from behind, and Tri-City's Colton Yellow Horn, who was on the receiving end of that hit - got into an altercation.

Then with three seconds remaining the Americans began a brawl, starting three separate fights simultaneously off the faceoff. To prevent further commotion the final three seconds of the game were run off without the teams on the ice.

It was an ugly end to hard-fought game that saw both goaltenders prove why they were chosen for Canada's team for the World Junior Hockey Championships. Price finished with 26 saves, becoming just the third goaltender to shut out Everett this season. Everett's Leland Irving made 30 saves. And both were called upon to make fantastic stops throughout.

Everett's loss snapped a six-game winning streak. The Tips (41-8-0-2) still lead second-place Tri-City (32-17-0-1) by 19 points in the U.S. Division standings.

It's likely emotions will still be running high when the teams meet again Wednesday in Everett.

Everett was missing three players from Wednesday's game. Left wing Brennan Sonne sat out after receiving a two-game suspension for his kneeing major penalty, the other hit that upset the Americans. Also, center Damir Alic didn't play because of illness, and left wing Ondrej Fiala was a late scratch for unspecified reasons.

With the three forwards out, the Tips gave a Western Hockey League debut to 16-year-old Jordan Mistelbacher, who was acquired in the same trade that brought defenseman Dane Crowley to Everett.

Everett had the game's first three power plays, but wasn't able to take advantage as the best chances fell to Tri-City. The Americans then scored on their first power play to take a 1-0 lead 15:14 into the game. Yellow Horn's initial shot was saved by Irving, but Teslyuk followed in to scored on the rebound.

The game remained 1-0 through the second period, but not for a lack of chances. For Everett, Beach and Dan Gendur both found daylight in the Tri-City zone, but Beach shot wide and Gendur was turned away by Price. Meanwhile, Tri-City's Erik Felde had a tip try saved by Irving, and Irving also stoned Drew Hoff when Hoff found room out front.

The action heated up even more in the third period as both goaltenders were called into action. Irving made a great double stop on Alex Aldred and also stoned Tanner Gillies after the Tips turned the puck over in their own zone. Price preserved Tri-City's lead when he made a kick save on Beach after Beach sent free into the zone by a Zach Hamill pass.

Tri-City finally got its insurance goal with 6:43 remaining. Procyshen was released into the zone and beat Irving with a shot into the top of the net, making it 2-0 and setting up the contentious finish.

At Toyota Center

Everett 0 0 0 - 0

Tri-City 1 0 1 - 2

First Period-1, Tri-City, Teslyuk 3 (Yellow Horn, Fast), 15:14 (pp). Penalties-Kaye, Tri-City (charging), 3:41; Teslyuk, Tri-City (interference), 5:56; Vey, Tri-City (checking from behind), 10:49; Zetariuk, Everett (hooking), 14:23.

Second Period-No goals. Penalties-Beach, Everett (fighting), 6:07; Zetariuk, Everett (roughing), 6:07; Inglis, Tri-City (fighting), 6:07; Kaye, Tri-City (roughing-roughing), 6:07; Alexander, Everett (hooking), 9:11; Zetariuk, Everett (delay of game), 10:40; Ellington, Everett (interference), 15:01; Hamill, Everett (hooking), 20:00.

Third Period-2, Tri-City, Procyshen 22 (Aldred, Inglis), 13:17. Penalties-Yellow Horn, Tri-City (hooking), 15:01; Beach, Everett (roughing-roughing), 19:54; Ellington, Everett (10-minute misconduct), 19:54; Yellow Horn, Tri-City (roughing-roughing), 19:54; Schmidt, Tri-City (10-game misconduct), 19:54; Campos, Everett (fighting-game misconduct), 19:57; Harty, Everett (fighting-game misconduct), 19:57; Mistelbacher, Everett (fighting-game misconduct), 19:57; Gorman, Tri-City (fighting-game misconduct), 19:57; Inglis, Tri-City (fighting-game misconduct), 19:57; Valach, Tri-City (fighting-game misconduct), 19:57.

Shots on goal-Everett 6-8-12-26. Tri-City 9-9-14-32. Power-play opportunities-Everett 0 of 5. Tri-City 1 of 5.

Goalies-Everett, Irving 26-5-0-2 (32 shots, 30 saves). Tri-City, Price 19-9-0-0 (26 shots, 26 saves).

A-4,333.

Tipped Off
02-03-2007, 07:37 PM
So, after reading all this & watching the game I only have one question, how come only 4300 on a Friday night for this *heated* matchup?

Stay-Puft
02-03-2007, 09:15 PM
I don't think it was a bad turnout, considering all of the high school basketball in action last night. When the high school regular season is over, the numbers generally go up.

B4dotcom
02-04-2007, 01:34 AM
The energy of the crowd was fantastic, was very loud and generally speaking was probably one of the best games that I have seen their in a couple years IMO. Good god Beach is a popular cat there! The Boogie chants after the brawl was deafening. Does anyone know if the game was called for the last 3 seconds or did they drop the puck as I did not see it dropped nor did my family members whom were there with me.

Tipped Off
02-04-2007, 10:13 AM
The ref ran off the last three seconds after the fights.

nelson951
02-04-2007, 11:34 AM
Nice to see Tri-Cities making it interesting for the Tips

ihlemic10
02-05-2007, 03:41 PM
Inglis - 3 games
Gorman - 2 games
Nachbaur - 2 games
$1000 fine against club