PDA

View Full Version : If I was Don Hay...

Big Daddy
02-04-2007, 12:27 AM
I'd scratch Franson, Mikkelson, McArdel, and maybe Watt for a couple of games and bring up some 15, 16, 17 year olds. Time to wake these vets up. The Reese trade is looking brutal about now.

Scratch Sexsmith and give the starts to Neufeld. Bring up a list goalie for backup. Does anyone else see the teams body language after some of these weak goals?

Desperate times, desperate measures.

Edit: And maybe Bill & Joey with the constant fixation with out-shooting our opponents with some of the lame a** shots we throw on net.

Triton
02-04-2007, 02:11 AM
Chemistry sure was hammered with the deals that were made.I guess acquiring every top notch player available doesn't bring wins.Just ask the Blades about it last year.Maybe it's all the ego's that were acquired thats tarnishing the direction that the team was headed.

I just don't know.I look at the scores and Vancouver is losing more often than winning...something different than what I was used to seeing early on in the season.

N.W. Bruin
02-04-2007, 02:27 AM
I'd scratch Franson, Mikkelson, McArdel, and maybe Watt for a couple of games and bring up some 15, 16, 17 year olds. Time to wake these vets up. The Reese trade is looking brutal about now.

Scratch Sexsmith and give the starts to Neufeld. Bring up a list goalie for backup. Does anyone else see the teams body language after some of these weak goals?

Desperate times, desperate measures.

Edit: And maybe Bill & Joey with the constant fixation with out-shooting our opponents with some of the lame a** shots we throw on net.

One can only have so many sixteens in the lineup and expect to win regularly. Look at Portland and Kelowna with all their sixteens, they are going through growing pains. And I am not totally sure but the team just might not have any seventeens on their PPL at this point of the season. They took thirteen guys in the last draft and still have a load of sixteens on the list on top of those plus the fact they likely added guys throughout the season. Giants cannot afford that. But they can't to not play without emotion either. But I do agree listening to Joey and Bill is frustrating as they are towing the company (Giants) line. They are not telling it like it is in regards to players' efforts.

Rsthelen
02-04-2007, 02:28 AM
I would be making sure I had the key's to the back door right about now.

Soundy
02-04-2007, 03:33 AM
One can only have so many sixteens in the lineup and expect to win regularly.

I don't think the idea is to simply replace the veterans with 16s outright... it's to sit them a bit and send them the message that they're not going to be allowed to just coast through... and to give some of the younger guys a chance to show their stuff... and hopefully re-energize the rest of the team as well.

It happens at the NHL level as well - these guys need to get used to the idea that if they're not performing, they'll be watching the game from the press box. Having a million-dollar pro contract makes a poor work ethic all that much more unacceptable.

Swando
02-04-2007, 05:07 AM
I wrote a couple of posts earlier during the game but then deleted them because they were getting to critical. I see others have now beat me to it. Pathetic powerplay and their disapline sucks. I'm sick of seeing Watt go to the box shaking his head. If I was Hay I'd bag skate their asses off for thier effort on Saturday.

Crosby rules
02-04-2007, 08:45 AM
What the Giants need is a goaltender that has some fire in his belly. OOPS! but they got rid of thier meal ticket.

sheera
02-04-2007, 09:49 AM
Rockets played hard, but were outplayed by vans old guys most of the night. Giants need a goalie for a cup run. MrMcardel threw a hissy fit and was thrown out, he floats at centre ice most of the night and should have no trouble becoming a professional figuire skater in the future. Chemistry is not on this team, they were better earlier in the year, sad bunch really.

Big Daddy
02-04-2007, 11:03 AM
Soundy you are right about my intent. It is not to try to win with young guys, it is to punish and embarass the mentioned players. We are not getting the goaltending we need either. This is not to say Sexsmith is a poor goalie, only that he is not ready to carry a team. This team needs a strong, healthy, competitive battle between goalies for the number one spot and we do not have this. If that is because management has caved to threats by Sexsmith and his agent for a trade earlier then shame on them. Now that the trade deadline is passed the team can do anything they need to do and I hope they have the stones to do it.

MJCO5
02-04-2007, 12:15 PM
WOW!

Sounds like hard times continue to roll right along in Vancouver
I have been to a couple of Giants games of late and they just don't have the heart they had the beginning of the season with the hockey the Giants are playing currently I question their ability to even make through the first round of playoffs but the Terrible Times in Vancouver have left a Nice opening for Blazers to come steal First Place

Go Blazers GO
Can't Wait Until Friday

pdxnow
02-04-2007, 01:41 PM
I think your finally seeing how some of the players that were traded did make a huge difference. They knew the systems and they helped this team win last year and were team players. They also learned how to win Hays way and got the job done no matter how they were viewed by some. Those guys had more character in the room than was noted and knew Hays systems and fit into them and played their roles. One example was the chemistry that Watt and Reese had early on in the season maybe the mutual respect between the two keep their games more focused on positive things. Lamb was another fit that maybe he wasn't getting the points but his presents in the room also was of bigger value than the points lacking. These players didn't demand ice time that the new players require and maybe in that respect the team had a different mind set. Also things said on the bench between shifts during a game goes a long way on maybe how a player will maybe settle down and re-focus. The hard hat days are gone in Vancouver that's a shame. I used to see a team that came to the rink one for all and all for one! As long as you worked hard and tried your best seemed like they got it done. I think Bonner panicked a bit and thought they needed another Brule to get them all the way but there is only one Brule and he had been around the guys in the past and when he came in they welcomed him back because he was a part of it all and kept in touch while he was actually gone. Hay can lead these horses to the well but can he get them to drink? You really have some horses and if they choose to drink and listen and put away their agenda's and put Hays ahead of theirs than this team will turn around and they become the team and force to beat in the Memorial Cup. Still want to see Sexy lead this team, have a bunch of guys there that I personally root for the Mac's, Luc's, the three young guns, and fester,franny, and Mic they all are great boys as much as we aren't a part of it anymore it sure would be nice to see these boys holding the cup. I hope everything works out. Right now really means nothing they are in the playoffs and they need to build from here on out and get past some of the growing pains that come with change. Good luck to the Giants!

dondo
02-04-2007, 06:15 PM
wow a couple of bad outings and trolls come out in force ... :clown: .. back! back to grotto with you!! :spineyes:

The team does currently lack some of the chemistry it had, but I believe that the over-all level is higher and that that chemistry can be rediscovered.

The positives are that Don Hay is one of those coaches that knows how to win and knows how to motivate. Maybe the boys need a few poor losses to wake-up and smell the cappuccino, and maybe stop taking those dumb lazy penalties and focus on the hard fought, well earned ones.

If I were Don Hay..

- i would solidify some lines and let them play as a unit for several games straight -- the line juggling is currently not helping and although I like the idea of finding a good mix, we have had lines which were clicking only to be changed up the next game.

- as much of a floater I think JD is at times, I would pull him out the doghouse and put him with skill players as he plays better with them and is happier and more productive. JD with Wacey and Kendall might give them the room they need to score.

- I would change up the PP, the rest of the league has the book on our PP and we don't play it the same way we play 5 on 5. WE need to plant a body in the paint and not move him, stop the little down low chip passes and work the puck down only to get it to the point as soon as the D collapses to cover their net.

Swando
02-05-2007, 03:16 PM
PDXNOW

A well thot our comment and very valid. Good food for thot. Young players are impressionalble and you wonder how these changes "really" affect ones Psycic (sp).

dondo
02-06-2007, 04:51 PM
well I don't think Lamb, as much as I like Kyle, was really contributing, but a guy like Flatters who was willing to play the thankless role of being the solid defensive D-man (physical D-man), was lost when we opted for the skill of Thelen without as much defensive responsibility.

I'm one of those people that think that chemistry out-weighs skill in the long run (which is what makes hockey the greatest game in the world) and the Giants have traded one for the other in some ways and although they have the ability to get that back with familiarity, they might have lost an intangible by dealing the wrong players as the wrong time.

Time will tell, but this team needs to get back on the horse and stop dragging each other in all directions, they need to unify as a team and use the newly acquired skill to their advantage instead of their disadvantage and this will only come from a few "nose out of joint" players stowing their egos and contribute as opposed to drag their heels.

oh and rinkrat its psyche...

scrunt
02-06-2007, 06:10 PM
you wonder how these changes "really" affect ones Psycic (sp).

I think you're getting Roman Psurny and Milan Lucic mixed together. Both being Italian cities, it's an easy mistake to make ;)

Anyway, as for the Giants, I'm not really sure how worried to be. (How's that for a position to take!)

On one hand, I don't want to see the team peak too soon, and/or go all out for regular season wins when we all know it's the playoffs that count. My knowledge of WHL history is a bit weak, but if the pattern in the NHL is anything to go by, dominance in the regular season by no means guarantees playoff success. Sure the team is by all accounts underachieving, but the optimist in me -- hidden though he usually is -- knows that the team can play better. There's nothing like a real "back against the wall' playoff atmosphere to bring it all out, and if that happens with the Giants, and the extra playoff motivation brings out their best, then they can go a long way.

On the other hand, the Giants are not showing signs that they are really gelling as a team, and that worries me. Failing to stand up for teammates, playing a perimeter game and applying a half-assed forecheck, -- things that this team did last year to perfection -- are glaringly absent. The lack of a guy camped out in front of the net on the PP, in the name of puck support, just doesn't fly with me. This endless cycle along the boards on the PP makes me wonder if the team strategists are really missing something, or whether the players are just bad at following instructions.

Anyway, time will tell. All we need is a short run going into the playoffs to give the team a bit of confidence, and anything can happen.

rinkrat
02-06-2007, 08:05 PM
oh and rinkrat its psyche...

huh? Speaking of misquoting. ;)

dondo
02-07-2007, 12:38 PM
huh? Speaking of misquoting. ;)

as in psych(e)-otic nhl :D

byrdman25
02-07-2007, 06:41 PM
- i would solidify some lines and let them play as a unit for several games straight -- the line juggling is currently not helping and although I like the idea of finding a good mix, we have had lines which were clicking only to be changed up the next game.

- as much of a floater I think JD is at times, I would pull him out the doghouse and put him with skill players as he plays better with them and is happier and more productive. JD with Wacey and Kendall might give them the room they need to score.

- I would change up the PP, the rest of the league has the book on our PP and we don't play it the same way we play 5 on 5. WE need to plant a body in the paint and not move him, stop the little down low chip passes and work the puck down only to get it to the point as soon as the D collapses to cover their net.

I concur, give the lads a chance to gel. If you know your linemate you learn their limitations and abilities in tight circumstances. Where and how he is going to move can make the difference beween a searching pass and a sweet pass for a goal. JD plays so much better, and for you doubters harder, with other skilled players. He is our leading scorer for a reason and deserves a chance to play with some skill. As for our PP, this is the only time during the game that we don't shoot the puck just shoot it, one-timers, snaps, anyhting, you can shoot on the powerplay (look at Franson in the first month and Thelen of late).

see ya at the game